• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Dantis

I just realised, as there's a lot of new members, it's probably worth pointing out about spoilers, after recent events:

Basically, people got careless around DanganRonpa's release, and posted spoilers without tagging them, tagged them without saying that they spoil DanganRonpa, and other such things. It was... unusually inconsiderate.

So from now on, no spoilers for other games (PARTICULARLY ones that have been out for a matter of days) unless they absolutely pertain to the Persona discussion at hand. And if you really, really have to post one, do everyone else the courtesy of specifying what game it is that you're post spoils.

Yup. Next week is pretty busy for me. Getting FFX HD for Vita, and Ground Zeroes + inFamous for PS4.

I have no time to play all these games. *boots up FFXIV*

Eh? Infamous is next week? I hadn't even realised.

I'll be renting Infamous and MGS.

PK Gaming

Re: DanganRonpa

9/10

I love, love, LOVE the characters, setting, and story. It's by far and way my favorite visual novel game (which is kind of a big deal when titans like ace attorney and 999 exist) The truth is, DR2 is probably my most anticipated game of the year(even beating out P4U and PQ!)

agidynev5szp.gif

Ahahaha

Those were some mad good burns, yo

Acid08

Banned
Re: DanganRonpa

9/10

I love, love, LOVE the characters, setting, and story. It's by far and way my favorite visual novel game (which is kind of a big deal when titans like ace attorney and 999 exist) The truth is, DR2 is probably my most anticipated game of the year(even beating out P4U and PQ!)
I'm really looking forward to the sequel because of how much better everyone says it is. And yeah, everything about the story was great. Characters were varied and interesting.

Just didn't find the gameplay during the trials to be all that fun.

Rhapsody

Banned
My friend keeps saying the first game is better and found the second one boring at times.

Still looking forward to playing it deciding which is better myself though.

Edit: That's too bad. I loved the gameplay for DR. The presentation gave a small adrenaline rush besides one (or maybe 2) gameplay portion of it.

Last night I FINALLY finished all of the story modes in P4 Arena. I liked that "beginner mode" was truly easy and allowed me to streamline though the story (since I'm not good at nor do I care to get good at fighting games), but man, I wish the "story" was more fleshed out. Or, maybe I played it poorly by doing everyone's first part of the story first, and then doing the cliffhangers. As a result, a lot of the material felt rehashed and repeated. Also, Labrys' story felt incredibly drawn out since it was obvious in Chapter 2 where her story was going, but it had to be dragged out to Chapter 9 to get there. AND I HATE CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS IN GAMES.

I haven't kept much up to speed on the sequel, but I hope they finish the story, and I hope each individual story is more, well, individualized, with less internal thoughts, more voice acting, and so on. Still, I'm surprised at the amount of content in this fighting game. Overall, I'm glad I finally played through all of it.

Now, I might go back to finish Persona 2: Innocent Sin, but I didn't like where that story was going (I got to the top of a mountain and "dear leader" and his minions appeared), and I didn't like the characters or the gameplay. I did like, and still hope for Persona 5 that they are included, the unique dungeon layouts instead of the randomization of Persona 3 and 4. Again, I only got half way through P2, but I am baffled by people saying this is the best story and most mature story in the series. It's just... stupid, I guess. I guess I should finish it.

One question and one answer!!!

For the answer, if anyone still cares about the Persona 4 weather app, I think I'm going to put it back up on the App Store with slight modifications to make it more "compliant". I'll update if I ever do that. Android status is still on hold for the time being.

For the question, I had a sudden remembering of the Persona 3 movie the other night, and discovered that the first half was released in theaters last year in Japan and will be released on DVD/BR in May. Any impressions on how it was?

Last night I FINALLY finished all of the story modes in P4 Arena. I liked that "beginner mode" was truly easy and allowed me to streamline though the story (since I'm not good at nor do I care to get good at fighting games), but man, I wish the "story" was more fleshed out. Or, maybe I played it poorly by doing everyone's first part of the story first, and then doing the cliffhangers. As a result, a lot of the material felt rehashed and repeated. Also, Labrys' story felt incredibly drawn out since it was obvious in Chapter 2 where her story was going, but it had to be dragged out to Chapter 9 to get there. AND I HATE CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS IN GAMES.

I haven't kept much up to speed on the sequel, but I hope they finish the story, and I hope each individual story is more, well, individualized, with less internal thoughts, more voice acting, and so on. Still, I'm surprised at the amount of content in this fighting game. Overall, I'm glad I finally played through all of it.

Now, I might go back to finish Persona 2: Innocent Sin, but I didn't like where that story was going (I got to the top of a mountain and "dear leader" and his minions appeared), and I didn't like the characters or the gameplay. I did like, and still hope for Persona 5 that they are included, the unique dungeon layouts instead of the randomization of Persona 3 and 4. Again, I only got half way through P2, but I am baffled by people saying this is the best story and most mature story in the series. It's just... stupid, I guess. I guess I should finish it.

One question and one answer!!!

For the answer, if anyone still cares about the Persona 4 weather app, I think I'm going to put it back up on the App Store with slight modifications to make it more "compliant". I'll update if I ever do that. Android status is still on hold for the time being.

For the question, I had a sudden remembering of the Persona 3 movie the other night, and discovered that the first half was released in theaters last year in Japan and will be released on DVD/BR in May. Any impressions on how it was?

That was probably the biggest problem with arena is that it dragged on. It just felt rehashed with the same stories and plot points only through a different character's eyes. As for the movie, I believe the general opinion of some of the reviews I saw was that it was a good adaption, with the fleshing out of Makoto's character being a high point.

When people talk about the whole mature thing, they are mainly talking about Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. P2IS is all about the big and crazy rumors and how they become real.

Still think P2IS and P2EP has the best story and characters in the series, I feel bad you couldn't enjoy them but oh well what can you do. :( P2EP is better than P2IS though.

P2EP > P4 > P2IS > P3 Answer > P1 > P3 Journey

I cant rank P4A there, its too different.

Story wise in the Persona series would be
P2=P3>P4 I don't know about P1 cause I haven't played it yet

I put Persona 2 and 3 the same due to the fact that both stories were emotional and the plot was great, for P3 the ending made the game amazing. P4 is in third because while the story was good the end was pretty much rushed for me.

Gazoinks

It has come full circle! I love how far this joke spread.

So is anyone else picking up the Final Fantasy X HD collection on tuesday?
It was a hard choice between that or MGS Ground Zeroes but seeing as I'm already well versed in MGSI decided to go with FFX since I've never played. Shame on me I know :p
going to get it for the vita since portable jrpgs are amazing!

I plan on it, 'cause I really like both games (Yes I like X-2! Come at me!), but I need to clear out some backlog first.

When people talk about the whole mature thing, they are mainly talking about Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. P2IS is all about the big and crazy rumors and how they become real.

Still think P2IS and P2EP has the best story and characters in the series, I feel bad you couldn't enjoy them but oh well what can you do. :( P2EP is better than P2IS though.

Yeah, EP probably has my favorite story in the series, and IS one of my favorite casts (more or less tied with P4). While I'm fairly critical of the gameplay of P2, I do think it's a shame when people are totally turned off by it, because the casts and stories really are good.

CorvoSol

What did you think maxing out his Social Link did? :p

I haven't maxed his SLink yet! Junpei hasn't been available to SLink with since fricking before the trip to Kyoto. :/

I guess I better max Ken's SLink before
more innocent bystanders are killed.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
It has come full circle! I love how far this joke spread.

I plan on it, 'cause I really like both games (Yes I like X-2! Come at me!), but I need to clear out some backlog first.

Yeah, EP probably has my favorite story in the series, and IS one of my favorite casts (more or less tied with P4). While I'm fairly critical of the gameplay of P2, I do think it's a shame when people are totally turned off by it, because the casts and stories really are good.

I had a feeling that joke came from neogaf lol

I think I may be more excited to play x-2 than x. I really dig the whole jazzy upbeat motif its got. I used to think it was super weird when I saw it for the first time as a kid heh.

The best thing about IS is the fact that npc dialogue changes CONSTANTLY and varies depending on your location. I spent so much time going from place to place and just talking, I love it. Also you get nice pieces of dialogue from your party members that really help flesh them out.

Gazoinks

I had a feeling that joke came from neogaf lol
Haha, yeah. It was made by a friend of Levito's I think.

I think I may be more excited to play x-2 than x. I really dig the whole jazzy upbeat motif its got. I used to think it was super weird when I saw it for the first time as a kid heh.
X-2 is kind of dumb, but I sort of like it for that. As you said, it's got an unusually upbeat feel for an epic JRPG. Although there's still a big threat eventually, it's more about the world recovering from the last catastrophe, which is an unusual approach. Plus the combat is fantastic, even if the class system is a bit unbalanced. It helps that Spira is one of my favorite FF worlds (although I'm not an FF aficionado). I really like the vibe of the world, neither medieval fantasy nor cyberpunk.

The best thing about IS is the fact that npc dialogue changes CONSTANTLY and varies depending on your location. I spent so much time going from place to place and just talking, I love it.
Yeah, both P2s have an insane amount of optional dialog stuck in every little crack of the game where it'd fit. I wonder how many lines that game has.

CorvoSol

P3P DECEMBER 2nd

Okay, so for the sake of continuity, tonight Aigis reveals that Clara and Makoto are brother and sister (making the fact that they saw each other naked during the Kyoto trip the biggest squick moment, like, ever.) It resolves 1)why Aigis was protective of both and 2)why Pharos appeared to both: because Aigis sealed Death into both of them, weakening him and all that jazz. Ok? Ok. Just for those of you not thoroughly tired of this running narrative by now.

Anyway, let's take a moment to analyze what we learned from this night. Ryoji is a Shadow. So like, Teddie, I guess. Along with Shadow Jesus (who I will forever insist is Ikutsuki's Shadow), I guess this makes Ryoji the "technically there is a shadow self in P3." Anyway, apparently, quite literally, The Mother of All Shadows is coming. Hopefully this moment fits into the larger narrative of Persona in a way I will come to appreciate more as I play the classic series. It'd be kinda odd to have Philemon just let a thing like that wander around.

So Nyx is coming, and she's gonna wreck the whole world. I assume that Nyx is Persona 3's Goddess (since I'm under the impression that there is one in every SMT game, since there was in SMT4 and in P4G). We got a month to decide if we're going to kill Ryoji so we can forget about everything and just die in peace.

We're not going to do that because that's a stupid idea. To our credit, basically everyone immediately tells Ryoji to shut up with that shit. Of course, Ken might be okay with it, but the rest of us have shit to do, still. Hopefully Aigis gets put back together soon, cuz it would be sad if we lost her.

X-2 is kind of dumb, but I sort of like it for that. As you said, it's got an unusually upbeat feel for an epic JRPG. Although there's still a big threat eventually, it's more about the world recovering from the last catastrophe, which is an unusual approach. Plus the combat is fantastic, even if the class system is a bit unbalanced. It helps that Spira is one of my favorite FF worlds (although I'm not an FF aficionado). I really like the vibe of the world, neither medieval fantasy nor cyberpunk.

Even if I haven't played FX-2, I do admit that Real Emotion is a guilty pleasure song of mine. Sure the song is dumb and cheesy as hell, but that song just makes me wanna sing and dance along to it when I hear it play.

Sophia

P3P DECEMBER 2nd

Okay, so for the sake of continuity, tonight Aigis reveals that Clara and Makoto are brother and sister (making the fact that they saw each other naked during the Kyoto trip the biggest squick moment, like, ever.) It resolves 1)why Aigis was protective of both and 2)why Pharos appeared to both: because Aigis sealed Death into both of them, weakening him and all that jazz. Ok? Ok. Just for those of you not thoroughly tired of this running narrative by now.

Anyway, let's take a moment to analyze what we learned from this night. Ryoji is a Shadow. So like, Teddie, I guess. Along with Shadow Jesus (who I will forever insist is Ikutsuki's Shadow), I guess this makes Ryoji the "technically there is a shadow self in P3." Anyway, apparently, quite literally, The Mother of All Shadows is coming. Hopefully this moment fits into the larger narrative of Persona in a way I will come to appreciate more as I play the classic series. It'd be kinda odd to have Philemon just let a thing like that wander around.

So Nyx is coming, and she's gonna wreck the whole world. I assume that Nyx is Persona 3's Goddess (since I'm under the impression that there is one in every SMT game, since there was in SMT4 and in P4G). We got a month to decide if we're going to kill Ryoji so we can forget about everything and just die in peace.

We're not going to do that because that's a stupid idea. To our credit, basically everyone immediately tells Ryoji to shut up with that shit. Of course, Ken might be okay with it, but the rest of us have shit to do, still. Hopefully Aigis gets put back together soon, cuz it would be sad if we lost her.

Heh... you'd probably like the details from the P3 Club and Fanbooks. There's a lot of info
regarding Nyx
not revealed in Persona 3 itself.

And yeah, I can see that. I'm curious, though; did the story just not hook you enough to want to blow through the game on easy?

I don't like lowering difficulties, makes it feel like I've cheapened the game, I'd rather admit the game beat me. Also, I saw the story through youtube so I didn't miss out (its great and then really weirdly great).

Few rules for the new people:

-No console wars/port begging talk. We all know Persona 5 is a 3DS exclusive, that's the end of it

-Don't suggest anime to Dantis, it's a touchy subject

-Waifu talk is allow, but just know that it usually ends with Chie is best girl

-If you're going to post here, that means you are required to attend EVO 2014 in Las Vegas with us. Evo is a cage fighting tournament, and we're all taking part in a grand prix. Hope you hespect brazil

-You must accept The Rock as a canon Persona character

-Most of my posts are often snarky, and should not be taken seriously

1. Port begging isn't a thing to me, if I don't own it, I don't play it, or I buy it then play it.
2. Dantis doesn't like anime? Huh...
3. AGREE!
4. Already got my ticket. (In my mind)
5. You mean Dwayne-senpai? Is there any argument about canonicity here?
6. Really? I always assumed you were the all knowing, all seeing god of this forum. (If you havent guessed, sarcasm is my second language).

Well I could never do anything scarier than offering my disapproval
So any answer will do.

Umm... I'm so kawaii-desu that butterflies orbit me.....?

Also, (goddamn every post I do ends in also) FFX-X2 HD is next on my list, I loved FFX but never played FFx-2 past chapter 3, Vita is perfect for finishing both of those.

Dangan Ronpa : THH, easily an 8.5 for me, 1st VN I've played and it was really good, loved the trial scenes and the school time game after completion was surprisingly entertaining. Enough so that I platinumed the frigging game.

Also when it comes to spoilers, I'm not very well versed in forum coding (I guess) so I'll just avoid posting them altogether.

Also, (I use that word too much) Hatsune Miku Project Diva f, holy frack is this a good rhythm game, never cared about vocaloid stuff before but goddamn some of these songs are good, and I dont even know Japanese, (Pepsiman teach me your ways) Secret Police is just a great song even if you dont understand it!

Again sorry for rambling but I've had a few bevs tonight, and drink makes me chatty!

Nachos

I don't like lowering difficulties, makes it feel like I've cheapened the game, I'd rather admit the game beat me. Also, I saw the story through youtube so I didn't miss out (its great and then really weirdly great).

Also when it comes to spoilers, I'm not very well versed in forum coding (I guess) so I'll just avoid posting them altogether.

Also, (I use that word too much) Hatsune Miku Project Diva f, holy frack is this a good rhythm game, never cared about vocaloid stuff before but goddamn some of these songs are good, and I dont even know Japanese, (Pepsiman teach me your ways) Secret Police is just a great song even if you dont understand it!

Again sorry for rambling but I've had a few bevs tonight, and drink makes me chatty!

Ah, okay. I was just wondering if you didn't play the story, because even if I did really like the puzzles, the story was definitely the draw for me.

Also,
[spoiler]Put text here.[/spoiler]

I post here on my phone +99% of the time, so I'm not sure if there's a button you can press on the regular version of GAF.

Gazoinks

For spoilers, you want to use
[/ spoiler] minus the space on the latter. I have a button on my posting area for it, but I can't remember if that's a Userscript or not.

Acid08

Banned
There's a button for spoiler tags on mobile and the website. I think it's to the far right on the website, icon should be a little square with an S on it.

Nachos

For spoilers, you want to use
[/ spoiler] minus the space on the latter. I have a button on my posting area for it, but I can't remember if that's a Userscript or not.
And because I had to look up the BB code for it, you can just wrap something like

[quote][spoiler][b]stupid stuff[/b][/spoiler][/quote]

in [plain][/plain] to ignore the special formatting.

I didn't see then mobile version of the spoiler tag but on desktop
its quite clear
so that's useful.

I think you'll recognise when I'm on mobile, mainly due to auto-correct, I had to really reel it back earlier. Usernames seem to make my phone freak out, not sure if Dantis wants to be known as dentists in my post when I'm on mobile.

And because I had to look up the BB code for it, you can just wrap something like

stupid stuff

in to ignore the special formatting.

Yeah.... this is why I'll just avoid spoilers, that's waaay to confusing for me.

CorvoSol

Online Game Rank 7

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Rank 8

NO OH GOD I'M
REVERSE KENJI NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom