• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Speaking of art, I hope you all like Final Fantasy X crossover art.

Great Labrys picture too, Reanimatoin!

Cheers mate. Actually bought coloured pencils for the first time in maybe 10 years for it! Ha!

FFX has a special place in my heart so I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Potential character crossups:

Tidus/Yosuke
Lulu/Yukiko
Rikku/Chie
Wakka/Kanji
Auron/Dojima or Shijiro
Yuna/Yukari

Thoughts?

Dantis

Cheers mate. Actually bought coloured pencils for the first time in maybe 10 years for it! Ha!

FFX has a special place in my heart so I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got.

Potential character crossups:

Tidus/Yosuke
Lulu/Yukiko
Rikku/Chie
Wakka/Kanji
Auron/Dojima or Shijiro
Yuna/Yukari

Thoughts?

Did you really? Ha! Buddha will be pleased.

And one of those crossovers is in my picture. BUT WHICH ONE?

My favorite thing and my least favorite thing, together at last! Like a Naoto x Labrys shipping fanfiction for you. :p

Funnily enough, my contribution to Watch Yer Week is a picture of Naoto making out with a toaster.

FluxWaveZ

I'm a little late on this but she mentions not having done voice work for any of the other games, including Q. One of Atlus's translation editors tweeted about working on Ultimax the other day, so I'm inclined to believe we may be getting Ultimax first given Q was singled out as coming out farther apart from its Japanese release than the other games.

Speaking of which, when John Hardin said:
One of the game’s producers basically had to live in Burbank for a month to do all the VO work. There’s a TON of new story stuff.
That could mean they've actually finished voice recording for P4AU, but then again that would make me think the release would be summer, just like the Japanese release, and then there's Amanda Winn-Lee saying that she was going to do more Persona VA six days before he posted that. Maybe that was about PQ or something.

Levito

Banned
Yukiko and Chie make an appearance in the 1993 Legend of the Galactic Heroes movie.

BjGiBgsCIAAElHm.jpg:large

kewlmyc

I wonder how much of a pain in the ass it will be to get two full games worth of VAs togther for a 3DS game. P4A2 too for that matter since only 3 VAs are won't be in P4A2 that are in PQ.

Yukiko and Chie make an appearance in the 1993 Legend of the Galactic Heroes movie.
Excellent tastes sir.

Speaking of which, when John Hardin said:

That could mean they've actually finished voice recording for P4AU, but then again that would make me think the release would be summer, just like the Japanese release, and then there's Amanda Winn-Lee saying that she was going to do more Persona VA six days before he posted that. Maybe that was about PQ or something.

What if they want to avoid region locking again so they are releasing game after the Japanese sales are basically done :lol

FluxWaveZ

What if they want to avoid region locking again so they are releasing game after the Japanese sales are basically done :lol

Heh, the North American side seemed to be the most affected by that debacle given their response so, yeah, maybe deliberate release spacing could be just so that the region lock card isn't pulled again.

Dantis

We don't know whether that's the plan this time or not. Index were the ones making the call before.

This was just an assumption. All we heard was that it came from higher ups in Japan. Everyone just pointed the finger at Index because that's that kind of thing the Internet does.

FluxWaveZ

This was just an assumption. All we heard was that it came from higher ups in Japan. Everyone just pointed the finger at Index because that's that kind of thing the Internet does.

All of this is being based on assumptions I guess since we don't know what their region lock plans would be this time around or who exactly was responsible last time, but wouldn't the Japan higher ups be Index? And wouldn't they be Sega this time?

CorvoSol

So a couple of P3 questions that I still have. If these are answered by playing earlier games then a simple yes/no and/or "see ____" will do.

1.What's the deal with Evokers? They're never really explained in P3, and the people who naturally use Personas vs the ones who artificially do all need these things anyway. At the same time, though, the P1 and P4 casts don't need them.
2. P4's cast might not need them since they only use Personas inside the TV, but then again P1's cast uses Personas on the street and has no problem with not using Evokers.
3. Are Shadows only the enemy of choice from P3 onward? As in, do P1, P2 and P2.2 all use Demons instead of shadows? If so, does that mean that demons and shadows both exist in the Persona Universe?
4. SMT4 refers to Demons and Angels as manifestations of the human mind, which is basically what Shadows are, isn't it?
5. P3 says that the Kirijo group is an off-shoot of the Nanjo group. Is this the same Nanjo group as the one in P1?
6. Aigis claims to be the last remaining Anti-Shadow Mechanical Maiden. Are similar Anti-Shadow weapons seen in earlier games in the series, then?

FluxWaveZ

So a couple of P3 questions that I still have. If these are answered by playing earlier games then a simple yes/no and/or "see ____" will do.

1.What's the deal with Evokers? They're never really explained in P3, and the people who naturally use Personas vs the ones who artificially do all need these things anyway. At the same time, though, the P1 and P4 casts don't need them.
2. P4's cast might not need them since they only use Personas inside the TV, but then again P1's cast uses Personas on the street and has no problem with not using Evokers.
3. Are Shadows only the enemy of choice from P3 onward? As in, do P1, P2 and P2.2 all use Demons instead of shadows? If so, does that mean that demons and shadows both exist in the Persona Universe?
4. SMT4 refers to Demons and Angels as manifestations of the human mind, which is basically what Shadows are, isn't it?
5. P3 says that the Kirijo group is an off-shoot of the Nanjo group. Is this the same Nanjo group as the one in P1?
6. Aigis claims to be the last remaining Anti-Shadow Mechanical Maiden. Are similar Anti-Shadow weapons seen in earlier games in the series, then?

1. See: The Answer; Persona 4 Arena
2. See: Persona 4 Arena
3. Yes.
4. Yes. But it is pointless to apply SMT4 fiction to Persona.
5. Yes.
6. No. See: Persona 4 Arena

CorvoSol

1. See: The Answer; Persona 4 Arena
2. See: Persona 4 Arena
3. Yes.
4. Yes. But it is pointless to apply SMT4 fiction to Persona.
5. Yes.
6. No. See: Persona 4 Arena

Right, number 4 was more a question about SMT4 that popped in there. I was somewhat confused by the end of that game as to whether or not
Angels and Demons were THE Angels and Demons or just versions of them drawn from human minds.

Right, number 4 was more a question about SMT4 that popped in there. I was somewhat confused by the end of that game as to whether or not
Angels and Demons were THE Angels and Demons or just versions of them drawn from human minds.

They are both THE angels and demons, and versions of them from human minds. In the SMT universes, demons and angels are basically powered by people believing them.

Gazoinks

So, finally going back to P3P since I've been away from P4G long enough. I have to say that, while P4 is on the whole a mechanically stronger game, I hope they bring back some of the elements in P3 they removed. The multiple attack types and slightly harder One More system add a bit more depth to the combat that P4 is lacking. Not to mention the weird issue P4 has where you have a bunch of different moves that do different damage but all say they do "Medium damage" or whatever.

Also Burn My Dread is awesome. 'specially the live version.

CorvoSol

They are both THE angels and demons, and versions of them from human minds. In the SMT universes, demons and angels are basically powered by people believing them.

So like Discworld, then? Like, the more people who believe in Odin the mightier Odin becomes in SMT?

So, finally going back to P3P since I've been away from P4G long enough. I have to say that, while P4 is on the whole a mechanically stronger game, I hope they bring back some of the elements in P3 they removed. The multiple attack types and slightly harder One More system add a bit more depth to the combat that P4 is lacking. Not to mention the weird issue P4 has where you have a bunch of different moves that do different damage but all say they do "Medium damage" or whatever.

Yeah Attack Types in P3 I'd like to have come back, as long as it doesn't get as complicated as Attack Types in P1. "Light Nuclear Damage." WHAT.

arue

How does the One More system work in P4G? I can't imagine it being easier than the one in P3P.

Gazoinks

Yeah Attack Types in P3 I'd like to have come back, as long as it doesn't get as complicated as Attack Types in P1. "Light Nuclear Damage." WHAT.

Haha, yeah, the amount of different attack types in P1 is completely ridiculous. Although it is probably the only RPG with nuclear attacks, so there's that.

How does the One More system work in P4G? I can't imagine it being easier than the one in P3P.

I believe it's actually the same as P4 in P3P. In FES, though, you only got a One More if every enemy you hit was weak to the spell you were using. It meant you couldn't just spam multi-target attack spells against enemy groups with mixed resistances. Had to be a bit more strategic with your weaknesses.

So like Discworld, then? Like, the more people who believe in Odin the mightier Odin becomes in SMT?

P1/2 Has a fuckton damage types lol.

Slash, Pierce, Strike, Throw, Havok, Agi, Aqua, Magna, Garu, Bufu, Zio, Mudo, Hama, Frei, Zan, Megido, Nerve, and Mind.

Also, yes, kind of like that, but SMT is kind of inconsistent when it comes to that.

I think P5 should have more types again, P4 was to simple.

The physical split needs to come back, Slash, Strike and Pierce. Or at least they should use the Mainline SMT version of this, which is just 2 categories, Melee and Ranged.
Aqua and Magna should also come back. (Though maybe instead of Magna for Earth, they could use the more modern Digital Devil Saga version of Tera for Earth) PK wants Frei back, I think they should fuse Nuclear and Almighty. Have both Frei and Megido in Almighty, and have the Frei line be a strong single target spell, and Megido line be weaker multi target spells.

FOR THE LOVE OF YHWH BTW, LET THERE BE MORE UNIQUE ATTACKS LIKE THE OLDER GAMES TOO PLS. MORE RAGNAROK AND BLACK VIPER, LESS 500 PERSONAS WITH AGIDYNE.

Marche90

So Persona and some other mega ten games take place in the same universe, I hear?

It's a theory, but it's widely accepted as such

I think the one we're all interested the most is the Devil Summoner one:

Raidou 1> Raidou 2> P1 > P2EP > P3 > P4, with the original Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers and If... in betweem them (don't remember the exact place of those, sorry)

Raidou 1> Raidou 2> P1 > P2EP > P3 > P4, with the original Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers and If... in betweem them (don't remember the exact place of those, sorry)

If... would be after Raidou 2 and before P1, with the Female Protagonist, Tamaki Uchida of SMT If..., Appearing in Persona 1 and 2.

Gazoinks

If is before P2 at least (Tamaki appears in it) and probably before 1. Soul Hackers takes place in the future, although not sure how far. Dunno about Devil Summoner.

EDIT: Buddha's right, forgot Tamaki was in P1.

There is nothing you can do to determine Soul Hackers' place in the timeline, because of no dates given, no events that could link to Persona 1 and 2, but a major character in Devil Summoner 1 (Not Devil Summoner Raidou 1, just for clarification) appears in Soul Hackers, and that same major character also appears in Persona 2, so naturally, Devil Summoner 1 must have taken place before Persona 2, because something happens to that major character and that change is reflected in both Persona 2 and Soul Hackers.

LX_Theo

Banned
But is Catherine canon to Persona 3? This is the big question.

Probably. As with everything else, its all very unconfirmed. Its just a storyline of multiverse from one of the SMT games lead to the canon easily accommodating everything through it.

I actually heard a theory that (P2IS spoiler)...
the events of Catherine take place in the city left after the events of P2IS. It was an interesting insight, with the P3P Vincent likely being a parallel world Vincent dealing with the same problem.

FluxWaveZ

Probably.

I actually heard a theory that (P2IS spoiler)...
the events of Catherine take place in the city left after the events of P2IS. It was an interesting insight, with the P3P Vincent likely being a parallel world Vincent dealing with the same problem.

The developers have pretty much said "no."

FluxWaveZ

Shame. I think I'll keep it as my head canon, though.

I don't think every game they make has to be fictionally related. If they thought like that, it's likely they would feel creatively limited and something like Catherine would have never happened. It's a bit weird to tease it in P3P given that, but still.

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't think every game they make has to be fictionally related. If they thought like that, it's likely they would feel creatively limited and something like Catherine would have never happened. It's a bit weird to tease it in P3P given that, but still.

Well, its not exactly like (Catherine Spoilers)
Catherine's lore explaining stuff is all that different with the demons and whatnot. I just see it as the whole issue manifesting in a different way.
If they were to make something massively different, then I'd be more inclined to separate the universes in my head.

Let's just say that the whole SMT timeline is pretty confusing as whole, for it has a lot of weird little quirks to how everything fits into place and some references to older game and other continuities that make it a whole lot more confusing than it should be. Pretty much the only way to make it work as I see it is the concept of the Amala Network introduced in SMT III:Nocturne. Where pretty much there is a good amount of parallel universes within the continuity, and it's not just one straight line of games.

FluxWaveZ

Well, its not exactly like (Catherine Spoilers)
Catherine's lore explaining stuff is all that different with the demons and whatnot. I just see it as the whole issue manifesting in a different way.
If they were to make something massively different, then I'd be more inclined to separate the universes in my head.

The games can be thematically tied without being narratively tied, right?

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't really call the similarities I pointed out thematic or narrative (opens opportunity for narrative, but that's it).

Oh, I don't think I'm quite sure I get what you mean, then. I thought you were saying because the games shared thematic elements, it made it seem like they would fit together in terms of narrative for you.

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh, I don't think I'm quite sure I get what you mean, then. I thought you were saying because the games shared thematic elements, it made it seem like they would fit together in terms of narrative for you.

No, I was more saying...
The use of actual demons, gods and whatnot as a method to create the events and such within the game. That similarity makes the universes each take place in similar enough for me to consider each simply a different sort of tale in the same basic lore.

Top Bottom