• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Oh hey, it's that time again!
Ne8IU8a.png

lTGQtcC.png

Maybe I went too retro with her outfit, but I like it.
Yukiko is here, and boy does she like the color red. She seems like the girl who would inherit her parents clubs, not because she has to, but because she wants to.
Unlike Chie, she doesn't quite have the strength to drive the ball a long way, but her ball control more than makes up for it.

Next up is everyone's favorite waifu, Kanji.

PK Gaming

Ne8IU8a.png

Yukiko is here, and boy does she like the color red. She seems like the girl who would inherit her parents clubs, not because she has to, but because she wants to.
Unlike Chie, she doesn't quite have the strength to drive the ball a long way, but her ball control more than makes up for it.

Gorgeous

You've outdone yourself again

CorvoSol

Ne8IU8a.png

Have I mentioned I want this game? Cuz I kinda want this game.

Zebetite

Banned
Ne8IU8a.png

Wow, that's a heck of a drawing. Outdone yourself. Cannot wait for Kanji.

Tried fighting the Reaper in FES today and it ate me alive. Looked up strategies, and they all seem to require Max S.Link Personas of S.Links I in no way am going to have time to finish. I was thinking of trying to just brute force him, but, no, not at these levels (mid 70s), no way.

CorvoSol

Tried fighting the Reaper in FES today and it ate me alive. Looked up strategies, and they all seem to require Max S.Link Personas of S.Links I in no way am going to have time to finish. I was thinking of trying to just brute force him, but, no, not at these levels (mid 70s), no way.

I don't know if FES has it or not, but I just dropped the Armageddon on his head.

EMT0

Banned
It's still a well sized game. Also they were working on it for 4+ years.

I want to say presentation, basically. I'm expecting to get yelled at for this but it feels like Nocturne -> SMT4 was a big step back, for a flagship franchise. Part of it was the 3DS sure, but a bigger part of it was budget IMO. It seems as though they held back with SMT4's development to be as cost-efficient as possible, blood from stone style. Looking at some of the sprites for demons or major moments such as (SMT4 spoilers)
Isabeau's death
implies that to me.

Meia

I don't know if FES has it or not, but I just dropped the Armageddon on his head.

FES actually has a real fusion spell system, where you need two specific personas to be able to cast a new spell. They usually cost a bunch of SP though, but at least they weren't consumable. I think you need Helel + Satan for Armageddon iirc.

You CAN cheese the Reaper by using Thunder Reign to shock it, then crit it with a physical to make sure it stays down for it's turn, which it'll just waste by getting back up. It'll never be able to attack this way.

Of course, you could just FIGHT IT NORMALLY, especially at your level. Magician is the very first link you have access to, and it's really the only one you need to have done(surt with Fire Amp + Fire Boost coupled with a different persona with Mind Charge = main damage dealer), so long as you keep yourself buffed or him debuffed(bonus if you do both), so you'd want either Aigis or Akihiko(with something to cover their weakness as they're just buff/debuff bots respectively).

Sophia

You CAN cheese the Reaper by using Thunder Reign to shock it, then crit it with a physical to make sure it stays down for it's turn, which it'll just waste by getting back up. It'll never be able to attack this way.

This particular strategy only works in FES, due to the rules change in Persona 3 Portable. While it would still be effective in Portable, you would not be able to keep the Reaper down for every turn it has.

CorvoSol

Yeah but why spend hours fighting a boss when I can just get on with my life by ending it in a single turn? Isn't refusing to play your best moves first exactly the dumb mistake people make fun of villains for?

Sophia

Yeah but why spend hours fighting a boss when I can just get on with my life by ending it in a single turn? Isn't refusing to play your best moves first exactly the dumb mistake people make fun of villains for?

Villains aren't usually playing a video game where they can restart from failure over and over. :p

Jintor

Imagine if the reason your personal groundhog day scenario was playing out was because some other asshole was save scumming.

Meia

Fun? You could beat every single boss in FFVI by casting Vanish on them and either Doom or X-zone, but it doesn't mean I did that in every playthrough of the game. Sometimes building up to be overpowered is more fun than one-shotting something with little preparation(grinding gems? Yeah, that doesn't really count).

I mean, Armageddon is a neat spell, but it really only ever had one purpose in the game, one boss fight you HAVE to use it in.

Erin Fitzgerald talks on Up at noon.

She briefly talks about Persona 4: Ultimax

"It's going to be amaaaaaazzzziiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggg"

EDIT: She mentions Hiimdaisy AND tumblr. Heh.
EDIT2: She didn't like the P4 anime, LOL.

I'm a little late on this but she mentions not having done voice work for any of the other games, including Q. One of Atlus's translation editors tweeted about working on Ultimax the other day, so I'm inclined to believe we may be getting Ultimax first given Q was singled out as coming out farther apart from its Japanese release than the other games.

FluxWaveZ

I'm a little late on this but she mentions not having done voice work for any of the other games, including Q. One of Atlus's translation editors tweeted about working on Ultimax the other day, so I'm inclined to believe we may be getting Ultimax first given Q was singled out as coming out farther apart from its Japanese release than the other games.

That would make sense, adding to that that Michelle Ruff confirmed reprising her role in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax specifically (while she also confirmed her work in future projects, presumably including Persona Q).

I want to say presentation, basically. I'm expecting to get yelled at for this but it feels like Nocturne -> SMT4 was a big step back, for a flagship franchise. Part of it was the 3DS sure, but a bigger part of it was budget IMO. It seems as though they held back with SMT4's development to be as cost-efficient as possible, blood from stone style. Looking at some of the sprites for demons or major moments such as (SMT4 spoilers)
Isabeau's death
implies that to me.

Well the cut scenes they have in the game suffer from this too. I dunno, would it have hurt them to maybe pay for an animation studio to animate the scenes instead of these weird still image cut scenes. It would of looked a whole lot better tbh.
Though really SMT IV presentation is all over the place, with use of some really old Kaneko designs that look really jarring next to newer ones. The look of some of the newly redesigned demons just look like they were trying too hard to create new designs. And finally Tokyo and Kingdom of Mikado, with Mikado having a more menu based system to traverse around with 3D dunegons, and Tokyo having a world map with a decent amount of 3D areas and dunegons to explore. Don't get me wrong, I love SMT IV for what it is. But I do think that they could of handled the presentation a whole better than they did.

Dantis

Great picture, Chet!

Isabeau's death
implies that to me.

Concur! It's not a pretty game, for sure.

Sophia

I think the fact that they got an animation studio to do cutscenes for Persona Q, but couldn't or wouldn't get any studio to do cutscenes for SMT IV, says a lot about the budget...

Animated cutscenes don't come cheap, even if they're animated in a super-deformed style.

Isabeau's death
implies that to me.

Well to be fair, in terms of scale. SMT IV is Massive, definitely the biggest project they have ever done and will likely be for a while(unless P5 becomes an adventure game/gets a GTA style city). Maybe they could have had better presentation if the game was on a smaller scale.

Dantis

Well to be fair, in terms of scale. SMT IV is Massive, definitely the biggest project they have ever done and will likely be for a while(unless P5 becomes an adventure game/gets a GTA style city). Maybe they could have had better presentation if the game was on a smaller scale.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Biggest project in terms of what? Literal map size or...?

Lunar15

You are nuts if you don't think P5 will be their largest project.

SMTIV, while wonderful and perfectly sized, was not a big budget priority for them. It shows, but like most Atlus stuff, they work wonders with what they've got.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Biggest project in terms of what? Literal map size or...?

Amount of content of the game.

You are nuts if you don't think P5 will be their largest project.

SMTIV, while wonderful and perfectly sized, was not a big budget priority for them. It shows, but like most Atlus stuff, they work wonders with what they've got.

I'm not talking about the amount of money spent.

Dantis

I haven't played SMT4, obviously, but everything I've seen of it suggests that the budget was pretty low.

I think the idea of discerning a game's scale is kind of moot, because games are made of so many components. It's impossible to know how many man-hours went into a game unless you were on the dev team, really.

Content of the game.

Yeah, this is what I thought. I think it's impossible to make that call, personally.

You say that it's Atlus' biggest ever game, but I bet you any money that Persona 4 and Catherine both had much larger budgets and dev teams.

IYou say that it's Atlus' biggest ever game, but I bet you any money that Persona 4 and Catherine both had much larger budgets and dev teams.
Persona 4 nah and yeah I was talking about the amount of content in the game. It was insane and I can't imagine them making a game like that in PS3 level graphics unless they go full AAA. Something which SMT IV obviously wasn't. I was just impressed with what they able to churn out despite the game costing like pennies to produce. There are indie games out there with higher production values than SMT IV.

Dantis

Speaking of art, I hope you all like Final Fantasy X crossover art.

Great Labrys picture too, Reanimatoin!

Persona 4 nah and yeah I was talking about the amount of content in the game. It was insane and I can't imagine them making a game like that in PS3 level graphics unless they go full AAA. Something which SMT IV obiusly wasn't. I was just impressed with what they able to churn out despite the game costing like pennies to produce. There are indie games out there with higher production values than SMT IV.

Fair enough. I still plan to play it at some point, though I'm not sure when I'll get the chance.

STOP MAKING ME FEEL INADEQUATE/LAZY PERSONAARTGAF

Ha! Personart. I like it.

FrostyCollects

Neo Member
Another Persona fan here! *waves hand*

Managed to secure a PersonaQ 3DS LL preorder a couple hours ago. Really looking forward to getting that in June...I really do dig that design. Also preordered that colorful case.

And Mitsuru is my gal, if you must know...

Sophia

I haven't played SMT4, obviously, but everything I've seen of it suggests that the budget was pretty low.

The amount of content in Shin Megami Tensei IV is utterly massive. Once you hit Tokyo, the game balloons. I'm about 30 hours in and there's just so much to do. I bet I could easily waste around eight hours right now doing optional content around the various parts of Tokyo if I wanted to. It's one of those games everyone has on their favorite game list, yet almost nobody will complete because there's just so much to do in it.

It reminds me of Persona 3 in this sense; far more ambitious then a team like Atlus should be capable of handling.

Dantis

I do like Final Fantasy X / Persona crossover art. Go on... :D

It's looking good, I think! A ways of completion though. I figured I'd do some actual factual lineart, like in my avatar, but that means I have to be a lot more exact with my sketch. Plus I'm drawing two characters, which basically means twice the work.

Top Bottom