• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

No, I was more saying...
The use of actual demons, gods and whatnot as a method to create the events and such within the game. That similarity makes the universes each take place in similar enough for me to consider each simply a different sort of tale in the same basic lore.

Ah, so more like the context behind the events of the stories are similar enough to make it difficult to completely disassociate them from one another. I can see that.

I think one of the twists in Catherine was disappointing to me for that reason. If they ever go for a full new IP again, I'd hope they don't feel the need to do something like that again.

LX_Theo

Banned
Ah, so more like the context behind the events of the stories are similar enough to make it difficult to completely disassociate them from one another. I can see that.

I think one of the twists in Catherine was disappointing to me for that reason. If they ever go for a full new IP again, I'd hope they don't feel the need to do something like that again.

Basically it comes down to that. That with the cameo makes it fit together nicely for me.

Catherine was actually the first Atlus game I ever played, so the disappointment wasn't so bad. I actually liked it without previous exposure to their other stuff.

PK Gaming

Probably. As with everything else, its all very unconfirmed. Its just a storyline of multiverse from one of the SMT games lead to the canon easily accommodating everything through it.

I actually heard a theory that (P2IS spoiler)...
the events of Catherine take place in the city left after the events of P2IS. It was an interesting insight, with the P3P Vincent likely being a parallel world Vincent dealing with the same problem.

That's really cool actually.

Downloading it to headcanon space

Setsu00

I'm kinda bummed that I missed Akihiko week ;-;

Here's my Labrys:
labryshas3p.png

Dantis

I'm kinda bummed that I missed Akihiko week ;-;

Here's my Labrys:

Amazing! I really like your line work. Isn't it both crazy and awesome how distinctively different all our work is, even down to the lines? I feel like no two people on here draw even slightly similarly.

How long did you spend on this? I'm always interested to know that.

Setsu00

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! :)

Amazing! I really like your line work. Isn't it both crazy and awesome how distinctively different all our work is, even down to the lines? I feel like no two people on here draw even slightly similarly.

How long did you spend on this? I'm always interested to know that.

About three hours, possibly longer. I took a break after I decided on a posture, so I'm not sure.

Jintor

i really don't understand how you thin line people do it. it feels wrong! IT FEELS SO WRONG

if i'm not using thick-ass lines or no lines at all I can't make anything.

ironically completely different with physical media, have to use pacers or ballpoint pens

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I roughly put about 40 hours into FES, but ended up throwing 60 hours into Persona 4 Golden. Just going to beat Golden again at this point and then wrap up FES. Jeez. I'm not as hardcore as you guys, as I've only beaten Golden once before. But this time instead of dating Rise, I ended up going with Yukiko. No particular reason, I was initially going to go with Chie (since she's my personal favorite Persona 4 character). But just the way the story played out, it just felt the most natural for me. I was GOING to just romance everyone, but then couldn't bring myself to do it, knowing about Valentine's Day lol.

Have to say, I really like playing the game a little differently the second time through. Makes me regret not playing P3P as a female protagonist. And I don't think I'm crazy enough to play P3P right after playing FES and Golden.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, I roughly put about 40 hours into FES, but ended up throwing 60 hours into Persona 4 Golden. Just going to beat Golden again at this point and then wrap up FES. Jeez. I'm not as hardcore as you guys, as I've only beaten Golden once before. But this time instead of dating Rise, I ended up going with Yukiko. No particular reason, I was initially going to go with Chie (since she's my personal favorite Persona 4 character). But just the way the story played out, it just felt the most natural for me. I was GOING to just romance everyone, but then couldn't bring myself to do it, knowing about Valentine's Day lol.

Have to say, I really like playing the game a little differently the second time through. Makes me regret not playing P3P as a female protagonist. And I don't think I'm crazy enough to play P3P right after playing FES and Golden.

Mononoke

Banned

:)

Chie is amazing. It's kind of strange, because when I first played Persona 4 for the first time, I was taken aback by her. Like I didn't know how to process the character, because she was so much to take in. But then as the story played out, she quickly became my favorite character of the story. Not only that, since Persona is my favorite series of all time, she's in my top 5 favorite characters of all time.

I always wanted to rock a Chie avatar, but I never could find a good one. Or, well most people have already used most of them.

PK Gaming

:)

Chie is amazing. It's kind of strange, because when I first played Persona 4 for the first time, I was taken aback by her. Like I didn't know how to process the character, because she was so much to take in. But then as the story played out, she quickly became my favorite character of the story. Not only that, since Persona is my favorite series of all time, she's in my top 5 favorite characters of all time.

I always wanted to rock a Chie avatar, but I never could find a good one. Or, well most people have already used most of them.

Ah, I have just the thing

[1] [2]

Hope it helps

Mononoke

Banned
You've only just discovered this Tumblr? It's amazing.

Yeah. I'll admit, even though Persona is my personal favorite series of all time, and I would definitely call myself a BIG fan, I'm not as big of a fan as you guys. Just because, I don't know anyone in real life that likes this series. And I kind of felt intimidated to jump in to this thread for a long time. So outside of playing the games, and some of the stuff outside of that related to the series, I haven't really had the chance to geek out on it.

So I haven't totally delved into the tumblr/fan art stuff. This site is freakin amazing. Already found some stuff I want to use for my GAFatar. Sadly, found more Yukiko stuff that works better than Chie (I mean dimension wise, and what looks good at this size). Still looking tho.

EDIT: But yeah, I'm not as wired in as you guys. But this community has been really cool and welcoming so far. Started playing FES on my PC because of these guys. :D Also my secret santa this year sent me a Teddie doll + an Elizabeth figurine.

Just because, I don't know anyone in real life that likes this series.

You aint the only person like that, NO ONE I know has played Persona. I even tried to make of my friends play 4, kinda walked him through it but he gave up after Void Quest, calling it boring.

He's a bit of an idiot.

Trigger

Yeah. I'll admit, even though Persona is my personal favorite series of all time, and I would definitely call myself a BIG fan, I'm not as big of a fan as you guys. Just because, I don't know anyone in real life that likes this series. And I kind of felt intimidated to jump in to this thread for a long time. So outside of playing the games, and some of the stuff outside of that related to the series, I haven't really had the chance to geek out on it.

lol, I know the feeling. Most of my friends aren't huge JRPG/anime geeks. They prefer the CoDs and Battlefields of the video game world. My younger sister is about the only real person I know who's played the series.

CorvoSol

Pfft. One of my best friend's little sisters was big into Persona before I ever was. When she found out I was into it she was ecstatic.

My friends > yoooooooours.

Acid08

Banned
None of my friends are into JRPGs at all. In fact most of them aren't even into video games anymore :|

Not that I really blame them. There's not much coming out nowadays that's super interesting imo.

Caladrius

Almost none of my friends play vidya gaems on a regular basis.

Which is a bit of a problem because that's what I spend 80% of my free time on and it's hard to talk about anything other than that.

Mononoke

Banned
I just barely got into Anime a year ago. I literally know no one that likes Anime, and most people I know think it's garbage. So I've really been lucky to have NeoGAF, because they've really helped me out. Thing is, it's really kind of hard to jump into things like Anime (or something like Persona's fan community), because you know how long people have been apart of it. Or you know how deep people get into it. So if you just kind of stroll on in, being completely new to it all, you feel like you are bothering people (at least, that's how I felt).

Sorry to get all CHEESY on you guys. But I'm really glad I started posting in this thread. You guys are really awesome. I'm glad I know people I can talk to about this stuff, even though I might not be on the same page. :D

Chet got me into Persona, sort of. He bought Persona 4 randomly out of the blue, I saw him playing it, thought it looked fun. Chet's always buying weird anime shit that kind of flies over my head, I'm really not an anime guy. This is probably one of the few random things he's gotten that I ended up possibly liking even more than he did, let alone getting into period.

Other than that I don't really know anyone who plays it, other than a random coworker of mine from years ago that friended me on Facebook.

I just barely got into Anime a year ago. I literally know no one that likes Anime, and most people I know think it's garbage.

Again, I'm the exact same! People try and shove shows like Breaking Bad and Entourage and Doctor Who down my throat all the time. They're good, I get it.

But the moment I tell someone they should watch something like Psycho Pass or Attack on Titan or Gurren Lagann....

Well you get the idea.

Mononoke

Banned
Again, I'm the exact same! People try and shove shows like Breaking Bad and Entourage and Doctor Who down my throat all the time. They're good, I get it.

But the moment I tell someone they should watch something like Psycho Pass or Attack on Titan or Gurren Lagann....

Well you get the idea.

Yep! I even try to appeal to them, with cinema. Some of the best films I've ever seen, were Anime. There is a lot beautiful art in the medium. It's actually what got me into it. I was really taken away by how special, unique and beautiful Anime can be. But people I know always write it off. :(

Oh well. Is what it is.

CorvoSol

Chet got me into Persona, sort of. He bought Persona 4 randomly out of the blue, I saw him playing it, thought it looked fun. Chet's always buying weird anime shit that kind of flies over my head, I'm really not an anime guy. This is probably one of the few random things he's gotten that I ended up possibly liking even more than he did, let alone getting into period.

Other than that I don't really know anyone who plays it, other than a random coworker of mine from years ago that friended me on Facebook.

It's funny, I just sort of impulse bought P4 Golden and that was how I got into this. I mean, technically it's more like "I want AA5!" -> "Well if you buy FE:A and SMT4 we'll give you free money to buy AA5!" -> "Wow I already have FE:A and this SMT4 thing looks kinda nifty, even if the whole God is evil and so is the devil thing is played the fuck out in JRPGs, so what the hey, let's get 30 free dollars!" -> "MERRY CHRISTMAS HAVE A VITA!" -> "Hey these Persona games are by ATLUS. ATLUS made stuff like Radiant Historia and that SMT game, so why not check it out?" -> "OMG P4G WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU?"-> "P3P WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU?"->"HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES IS PERSONA GAF GOING TO MAKE ME RESTART PERSONA 1 TO GET A DIFFERENT PARTY!?"

CorvoSol

So Corvo, what elements are you looking for in a theme that would sum up your P3 experience? Are you more of a dirge or an aria guy?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. If I had to sum up P3 it would be "I sure wish people hadn't ruined the ending to me" because that ending could've been a great cap on my time with the game if I hadn't seen it coming.

Also "How the fuck does this fanbase reject MC having a sister and in the same breath be totally okay with
Aigis
having one?"

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. If I had to sum up P3 it would be "I sure wish people hadn't ruined the ending to me" because that ending could've been a great cap on my time with the game if I hadn't seen it coming.

Also "How the fuck does this fanbase reject MC having a sister and in the same breath be totally okay with
Aigis
having one?"

I feel like writing some music and I thought I'd be all topical and compose a suite/ballad that captures the essence of your infamous Makoto/Clara saga. I just wanted to know what kind of a tone you wanted it to have.

I don't really have anyone to talk about games or anime. I do have friends that do watch anime, but they only watch One Piece and Fairy Tail. But I can't get into long-running series, since it feels like there is this big wall of episodes to watch just to get caught up to where my friends are, and feel like I don't have the time to do that.
Or in case of talking about video games I've played, I feel like I'm sorta in a gaming funk, where I haven't really played that much over the last couple of months. Or it just feels like that, since I've jumped form game to game I have on my current systems. And I just can't stick to one for that long and just get bored and want to do something else. The only games that I've finished over the last couple of months was Danganronpa and Sleeping Dogs. I liked both and kinda gave me back my gaming itch in some way, and then it goes away when I played other games. Like I tried to playing Dust:An Elyssian Tail, when it was on sale around Christmas, I played it for a few days and pretty much haven't played it since. Hopefully something comes along to get me back that gaming itch.

CorvoSol

I feel like writing some music and I thought I'd be all topical and compose a suite/ballad that captures the essence of your infamous Makoto/Clara saga. I just wanted to know what kind of a tone you wanted it to have.

OH.

Well in that case, I'd like to take this moment to point out one of Persona 3's greatest ironies. Makoto is supposed to be all serious, right? Yet here's his Social Link song: Joy compared to Clara, who is bubbly's, Tender Feeling.

Now, mind you, it's been a LONG time since this Raven took any music classes, but I would say that I think something more Latin would best capture Makoto's side of things, since the focus of his character was on wooing women and being a macho guy. I realize it's broad, but that's the best I can give you for him.

Where Makoto wore his emotional damage on his sleeve, though, I think something a bit more subtle is needed for Clara. Like, this particular part.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

Well you get the idea.

Tried to make some friends watch a Miyazaki film(Spirited Away) since they tend to be casual-friendly. They proceeded to make fun of the spirit designs while calling it weird...
orz

Jintor

Anyone recommending doctor who is in no position to snicker at anime, and I say that as someone relatively experienced in the ways of doctor who

Tried to make some friends watch a Miyazaki film(Spirited Away) since they tend to be casual-friendly. They proceeded to make fun of the spirit designs while calling it weird...
orz

Where do these friends live? I need to go beat them with my Scrafty Stick for making fun of one of my favourite movies.

Gazoinks

Well you get the idea.

I at least have a couple of friends who watch the animes... on the other side of the country. One of them played part of P3 and wants to play 4, but doesn't have a Vita or PS2. So mostly I just yell at him about Persona fan stuff and he tolerates me. :p

Lizard barristers: better our worse than wizard barristers

Show would've probably been better if everyone was a reptile.

Forreal. That show is so fucking silly.

Yeah, when you have a time lord who uses a 60s era Police Box as a means of traveling through time and your most feared enemy is small mobile military tanks with toilet plungers that say *flails arms about* "EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE" *flails arms about*. I don't think you have any say in the matter of anime being any more silly than Doctor Who.

CorvoSol

Yeah, when you have a time lord who uses a 60s era Police Box as a means of traveling through time and your most feared enemy is small mobile military tanks with toilet plungers that say *flails arms about* "EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE" *flails arms about*. I don't think you have any say in the matter of anime being any more silly than Doctor Who.

You forgot that they also shoot lasers out of eggbeaters.

I love Doctor Who but yeah, Dr. Who fans have no room to make fun of fans of other things.

Top Bottom