• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
The argument that the P4 characters aren't developed doesn't sit right with me at all. They're fully fleshed out and defined by distinctive personality traits. Basically, they're fully developed characters that don't go through significantly more development throughout the game. They've lived their entire lives as ordinary teenagers, so a significant change in temperament would be jarring. In fact, I'd posit that their "wild ass adventure" would prevent them from growing as people, since its a problem they're singular focused on. (though confronting their shadow was a huge deal). Really, i'm not sure how you'd have them change as characters. Because they "do" change, but in a natural, subtle way (unlike in P3, due to the reasons listed by Flux)

Your second point is entirely subjective. I personally think that each of the main casts social links enhance them to a suitable degree (and in Kanji's case, its nearly fucking mandatory for his character)
It's not that I want them to totally change as characters but I do expect them to be something more than they were to start(which, to be fair, some are but not to a degree where it really felt like they were changed by what happened). Some of the slinks do help the characters develop more but it's never addressed anywhere else which is super lame! And I disagree with them being fully developed. You're mistaking distinct personalities for character depth. Their personalities give them their terrific attitudes/roles but I don't think there's any inherent depth because of them. Depth comes from their personal growth through the story which I would have liked to see more of. I don't want to keep going back to Dojima but his arc really is the most well realized one in the game. His slink directly relates to plot points and it's super meaningful.

Also think it's ridiculous to say that this life altering situation they're put into would prevent them from growing as people. Should be exactly the opposite, it should be a catalyst for meaningful change in their lives.

This one is awesome
Shiva.png

is that previous one made specifically for old persona or was it just for old megaten games in general?

It's the wild dance he does that makes him, whereas Vishnu is solemnly twirling a chakram. Neat showcase.

I think the major character development should take place in the main story, with S. Links serving to further expand on the character rather to than to reach an "end" to their character growth. By not tying the S. Link character development with the main story, you run in to issues with consistency (this really bugs me when it comes to romantic relationships in the game).

If I'm not mistaken this is what happens with many of the SEES S. Links in P3P, which I'm guessing to be a good sign for development in P5.

I'd wonder if, if the 5 seats in P5 would be that there are only 5 PCs, and that could allow for more customized cutscenes taking into account the goings-on in slinks. So and So and Whats-her-face would be an item, and the dialogue would reflect that. Thing is, if it goes beyond 5, the workload explodes. /spitballing

wmlk

I'll be the first one to put P4 over P3, but I don't really agree with the Akihiko criticisms here.

I mean, not every character needs to have exposition to be good. There are some people who have gone through things that they never bring up, either because they don't have to or just want to leave that stuff behind.

It's like in real life. Yeah, everyone has a story to tell and it's always great to get insight, but we don't always get that insight for everyone.

PK Gaming

It's not that I want them to totally change as characters but I do expect them to be something more than they were to start(which, to be fair, some are but not to a degree where it really felt like they were changed by what happened). Some of the slinks do help the characters develop more but it's never addressed anywhere else which is super lame! And I disagree with them being fully developed. You're mistaking distinct personalities for character depth. Their personalities give them their terrific attitudes/roles but I don't think there's any inherent depth because of them. Depth comes from their personal growth through the story which I would have liked to see more of. I don't want to keep going back to Dojima but his arc really is the most well realized one in the game. His slink directly relates to plot points and it's super meaningful.
But they "are" more than where they started with; that was the entire point of the shadow confrontations! They do develop and they do change, but not to an immense degree, and that's fine. Character development Persona 4 is not a parabola. It does not start immediately and end immediately; it's a gradual, constant process. Even Yosuke points corroborates this in epilogue.They're constantly changing, and they will constantly change, because that's what people do. I don't mind the fact that the development in the social links aren't addressed in the story, because they're insular in nature, and because the characters aren't all that different from their s.link incarnations (with the exception of Kanji). By the way, Yosuke and Teddie do make significant changes in temperament, and both of their slinks nicely relate to the plot as well.
Also think it's ridiculous to say that this life altering situation they're put into would prevent them from growing as people. Should be exactly the opposite, it should be a catalyst for meaningful change in their lives.
The life altering event has already happened with the shadow confrontations. All they've been doing from that point is fighting like morons. There has never a been moment to contemplate anything... just kill shadows and save the victims.

I'm not mistaking anything, your definition for character depth is too rigid. Character depth accounts for so much more than just personal growth. It deals with motivations, actions, background and relationships. Frankly, the main characters have a ton of depth.

Playing through Persona 4 again! Really love the game and picked it up the minute I saw it on PSN.

I forgot how annoying the dungeons can be though. No saving and ran into an enemy that mass casts all the different spells, so someone was getting knocked down every time. Lost maybe 45 minutes of playtime because of a little bad luck. Didn't take long to get SMT'd. Any advice on power leveling characters, and the various player stats like courage? Really want to avoid the time crunch this time though, and max out whatever I can.

Rumbelow

Neo Member
I'd say Persona 4 has the advantage in social link and cutscene harmony (and thus character development) as its social links are more navel gazey? Everyone is an incredibly nice person and you're discovering what that amiability is motivated by -- boredom, jealousy, whatever. I'm just getting back into the series, but my impression is everyone in P4 thinks they're a social parasite, both in SL and plot, whereas in P3 everyone lost a loved one in plot and had family issues in SL. So the P3 party social links were grandiose but easy to dismiss; those are both serious subjects and if either are handled wrong (even by jrpg standards), I just don't care any more. Melodrama is boring.

Also: I played Persona 4 when it came out, I'm playing Golden now, and whoa is Yosuke more useful than I remembered. He actually is your partner. Everything a silent protagonist can't do, Yosuke handles. He forms the team, elects you leader, connects plot points, delivers the friendship speeches, decides where we go to investigate, calls the cutscene meet-ups, etc. I'm not doing shit outside of social links. It's amazing how his personality completely overshadowed all of that in my memory. Does Naoto replace him as the plot driver or was he like this the entire game?

FluxWaveZ

Does Naoto replace him as the plot driver or was he like this the entire game?

Yosuke was pretty much always the voice the protagonist did not have. This only really changes in some specific scenes, like in the hospital. Naoto definitely does not become an active participant in the group like that once she joins.

PK Gaming

Also: I played Persona 4 when it came out, I'm playing Golden now, and whoa is Yosuke more useful than I remembered. He actually is your partner. Everything a silent protagonist can't do, Yosuke handles. He forms the team, elects you leader, connects plot points, delivers the friendship speeches, decides where we go to investigate, calls the cutscene meet-ups, etc. I'm not doing shit outside of social links. It's amazing how his personality completely overshadowed all of that in my memory. Does Naoto replace him as the plot driver or was he like this the entire game?

No, you're right on the money. Your best friend/sidekick/bro/whatever was deliberately designed to be the protagonist's mouthpiece.

Naoto doesn't really do much of anything in that regard (outside of being a walking exposition device)

Well everyone's curious of what they are up to with the game. So I'm not surprised at all Famitsu is wanting any semblance of information on the game that we do not know now.
Also intrigued by the Danganronpa: Another Episode game.

When you said, "draw it in a style most comfortable to you," I hope you meant this.

I hope you enjoy it, can't wait to see what you cook up in return!

I really like it Chet.

*closer inspection of the pic*
Catsuit Naoto, lol.

FluxWaveZ

If Famitsu doesn't know, we are doomed.

io7RQUR5rl9IU.gif

But really, Atlus seems to be doing their own thing when it comes to showing off their games these days; they don't rely so much on Famitsu to be showing off their stuff. Though, who knows how far in advance an outlet like Famitsu usually gets news like that before they show it... at least, it means that Famitsu's as much in the dark concerning Persona 5 as anyone else.

Squire

Banned
io7RQUR5rl9IU.gif

But really, Atlus seems to be doing their own thing when it comes to showing off their games these days; they don't rely so much on Famitsu to be showing off their stuff. Though, who knows how far in advance an outlet like Famitsu usually gets news like that before they show it... at least, it means that Famitsu's as much in the dark concerning Persona 5 as anyone else.

That's basically my thinking. If anything it just indicates Atlus isn't in bed with Famitsu, which is good for them.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll miss those Famitsu DVDs that gave us around 20 minutes of Persona footage.

Definitely for the best to keep P5 feeling more fresh though.

Meia

When you said, "draw it in a style most comfortable to you," I hope you meant this.

I hope you enjoy it, can't wait to see what you cook up in return!

Yep, Naoto in this style, like everything else, is ridiculously adorable. I actually think this may be how Kanji sees the world. :p

Wonderful job. :D

FluxWaveZ

It's sad that I'm more interested in that DanganRonpa information than yet another source telling us that P5 info will be coming "later".

At least for DR, there's the promise of new information specifically in the coming days. Atlus has been real secretive about anything that isn't PQ, so I think it's normal to not care for an outlet guessing what P5 will consist of or when we'll see more of it. It's kinda like when the game hadn't been announced at all, except the speculation had been built up for a number of years and not a few months.

At least there should be something on Friday. About PQ, of course.

Jinto

Finished Yu's story mode in P4A. The first part of that was a slog. It only started to get good when
Aegis and Elizabeth appeared. Sure enough, it's to be continued right after that.
I'm not sure how I feel about the story yet. I'll reserve judgment until I complete all the story modes. As of now, it sorta feels out of place.

I'm still getting used to him sounding like Adachi. I guess they always had the same VA, but you never hear Yu speak in P4. Also, everyone was right about reading a lot and not having to fight very much.

I think I'll start on Chie's story mode next.

Finished Yu's story mode in P4A. The first part of that was a slog. It only started to get good when
Aegis and Elizabeth appeared. Sure enough, it's to be continued right after that.
I'm not sure how I feel about the story yet. I'll reserve judgment until I complete all the story modes. As of now, it sorta feels out of place.

I'm still getting used to him sounding like Adachi. I guess they always had the same VA, but you never hear Yu speak in P4. Also, everyone was right about reading a lot and not having to fight very much.

I think I'll start on Chie's story mode next.

You are only half way done, everyone's story modes stop at the like 70% mark and you have to do a number of them until the rest of everyone's story modes unlock. The P4 cast sans Naoto are kind of weak a little bit TBH, its the P3 cast who gets to shine in this game.

Yosuke is probably the best other P4 story mode, with the worst ones being Yukiko and Kanji. (My two favorite P4 characters damn it)

Ha, im just messing around. I love anime. I just read a thread earlier saying "if anime games should be taken more seriously."

I didn't realize there was a stigma around it. It's a shame really, some of my greatest tv/game experiences have been through "anime". (Death note/code geass, Persona etc)

Ha, im just messing around. I love anime. I just read a thread earlier saying "if anime games should be taken more seriously."

I didn't realize there was a stigma around it. It's a shame really, some of my greatest tv/game experiences have been through "anime". (Death note/code geass, Persona etc)

I don't actually like anime all that much, or at least, I don't really watch it. I don't HATE it though.

Got a question for you Persona-Gaf. For the PS3 verison of P3FES, is it enhanced in any way visually? If it's on PS3 does it have a slightly higher resolution since it's on an emulator? I wanna replay it, should I stick with PS2 with component? I'll drop the 10 bucks for it if it looks sharper. Plus I can leave my PS3 hooked up.

Jinto

You are only half way done, everyone's story modes stop at the like 70% mark and you have to do a number of them until the rest of everyone's story modes unlock. The P4 cast sans Naoto are kind of weak a little bit TBH, its the P3 cast who gets to shine in this game.

Yosuke is probably the best other P4 story mode, with the worst ones being Yukiko and Kanji. (My two favorite P4 characters damn it)

Naoto is one of my favorite characters and I've been missing the P3 cast anyway. Damn, just realized Junpei and Yukari aren't in this.

kewlmyc

Got a question for you Persona-Gaf. For the PS3 verison of P3FES, is it enhanced in any way visually? If it's on PS3 does it have a slightly higher resolution since it's on an emulator? I wanna replay it, should I stick with PS2 with component? I'll drop the 10 bucks for it if it looks sharper. Plus I can leave my PS3 hooked up.

Nope. Looks the same as your PS2 copy would.

Top Bottom