• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

Played a little bit of challenge mode in Arena using Yu to prepare for the story mode. Yep, I still suck at fighting games. At least I sorta know what I'm doing now. I think, if it gets too frustrating, I'm just gonna try and button mash my way through the story.

I wouldn't worry about Challenge Mode. It's designed for experienced P4A players (and most of the combos are impractical anyway...)

If you're interested in playing Persona 4: Arena competitively, try giving this site a try.

Jinto

If it's just for story mode, you really just need to do Lesson Mode and you're set. Mashing A for the auto-combo is probably all you need to beat the CPU in story mode anyways. Also, actual fighting is only, like, 10% of the story mode while the rest is reading. If it's problematic, you could just lower the difficulty.

That was my plan going in. I'm gonna try and make an honest effort to be decent at this game. From what I've played, it seems fun. If it doesn't work, at least I can say I tried.

This is how I played most of Arena. Fighting games are a true struggle for me.

I used to be pretty good at Street Fighter back in the day. It took me forever though, and that was only with Ryu or Ken. Now they added combos and stuff. So confusing. :/

If you guys are completely lost, try to watch the Persona 4 Arena tutorial videos made by Atlus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VKwYUbFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDGSksZdTw0

They are even narrated by Teddie and Mitsuru!

Cool, thanks! If Mitsuru can't help me, noone can.

If you're interested in playing Persona 4: Arena competitively, try giving this site a try.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

They're not good scenes, but you're also not using this term correctly. Just a tip.

Oh I know that I was just doing some hyperbole of course. Of course I don't like those scenes, but its nothing to freak out about.

I tend to say things sarcastically and don't put as much thought into what I say as I would like or should do, so if anything I say bothers any of you, feel free to tell me about it!

wmlk

I can't believe its been nearly half a year since the P5 announcement, but we have yet to see a screen.
The thirst was real, but now they've thrown me out on a desert without any sustenance.

FluxWaveZ

nvm

ibgFr8sLILOc6B.gif

Yep, it was due to some exploitation. I don't remember all the details.

Pretty much a hacker found a back door into jail-breaking the Vita through the use of a few games (one of them was Innocent Sin) and using a exploit in the game to jailbreak the Vita.

I don't completely remember how they did it specifically per se. But they did find a way to crack that Vita open.

So you could say....They committed an Innocent Sin, and gave us an Eternal Punishment.

*rim shot*

Sigh....

Sophia

I can't believe its been nearly half a year since the P5 announcement, but we have yet to see a screen.
The thirst was real, but now they've thrown me out on a desert without any sustenance.

We all kind of expected that when the release date was announced as FallWinter 2014 and there's at least two games coming out before then. :\

FluxWaveZ

We all kind of expected that when the release date was announced as Fall 2014 and there's at least two games coming out before then. :\

Fall 2014 would be so much better than winter 2014. Maybe North America could have gotten it this year if that had happened...

Dantis

Hey Chet, I started drawing your picture.

I hope you realise how much Mio looks like Yukiko.

Fall 2014 would be so much better than winter 2014. Maybe North America could have gotten it this year if that had happened...

I think, unfortunately, Arena is taking priority over P5.

Sophia

Yes yes, I was looking at FFXIV as I typed it and wasn't paying attention. Corrected. :p

I think Atlus just announced everything early, and fully intends to stick with their usual pattern of giving out news only prior to release. :p

FluxWaveZ

I'm saying that if P5 was scheduled for a fall 2014 release in Japan, it would have had the potential to be released in 2014 in North America given the extra localization time. Maybe not, though, since Persona 4 Dancing is coming out in 2015, but who knows.

I'm inclined to believe that there close or near the end of developmen, since Hasino has been saying that they are still developing the gamet, they maybe ironing out some kinks right now in the game or in the beginning of QA, I'm fine with it being Winter 2014 for Japan really, I would rather they take their time than rush it out the door because of that.

Dantis

They have long black hair. The similarities end there.

Well, not really. For one, when you're bringing one into the other's art style, you're going to create some crossover where there wasn't any before. On top of that, there are lots of styles of long hair, and theirs just happen to be very, very similar.

FluxWaveZ

I'm inclined to believe that there close or near the end of developmen, since Hasino has been saying that they are still developing the gamet, they maybe ironing out some kinks right now in the game or in the beginning of QA, I'm fine with it being Winter 2014 for Japan really, I would rather they take their time than rush it out the door because of that.

I think most would prefer they take their time making the game the best it can be instead of rushing the game out. The same goes for Atlus USA and their localization of the game.

I'm not really inclined to believe anything concerning where they are in the game's development. If they were far along, maybe they would have already said so like they did with Persona 4 Dancing or given a percentage of development like they had with Catherine. Then again, maybe they're just being secretive about the whole thing.

That was my plan going in. I'm gonna try and make an honest effort to be decent at this game. From what I've played, it seems fun. If it doesn't work, at least I can say I tried.

I used to be pretty good at Street Fighter back in the day. It took me forever though, and that was only with Ryu or Ken. Now they added combos and stuff. So confusing. :/

Cool, thanks! If Mitsuru can't help me, noone can.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Just so you know, we play Arena amongst ourselves in the IRC quite often. So if you ever want some matches against people of, pretty much, all skill ranges, Come join us!

http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#personagaf&server=globalgamers.net

Hey Chet, I started drawing your picture.

I hope you realise how much Mio looks like Yukiko.
Really? I was completely unaware!
Well, not really. For one, when you're bringing one into the other's art style, you're going to create some crossover where there wasn't any before. On top of that, there are lots of styles of long hair, and theirs just happen to be very, very similar.

It's called a hime haircut.

Jofamo

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the Persona series, but I'm looking for some advice.

I got my Vita at Christmas, and heard so many good things about P4G being the killer app for the platform that I actually bought it from the PSN 12 days of Christmas sale before I had the console.

I played P4G to completion around a month ago, and I have to say that it didn't disappoint in the slightest. As my first Persona game, some things took a little getting used to, but I really enjoyed the plot, setting and characterisation. I really loved it a lot, and plan on a NG+ at some point.

Because I loved the plot and characters so much, naturally I was drawn to P4 Arena. I managed to find the only used copy in my town, much to my delight. Now, I always knew that P4A had some characters from P3, something I have no experience with, however with Persona Q coming as well, I've decided on holding off playing P4A or PQ until I've played Persona 3 in some form, and understand it's characters and story.

I only have access to the Vita, but quite happily plonked down for a digital download of P3P. I read up on all the differences between the different P3 versions, and honestly I don't mind the static over world and lack of actual cutscenes, I'm fine with it.

Starting P3, I was immediately drawn to just how... dark and gritty it felt in comparison to P4. The Dark Hour, Transmogrification, Evokers - it all seemed a lot more serious than before, and I found myself more interested as a result. Right from the very first Shadow, fight, I felt like I might actually like P3 more!

Sadly, this atmosphere doesn't stick around very long, and we were back to the same light hearted social links as P4, which, fine, I really don't mind and enjoy still.

I find myself being able to clear an entire block of Tartarus (at least until the gate) in one night, and don't see why I shouldn't due to the changes in the tiredness in this version. Might as well, right? Healing is cheap in the lobby too, compared to P4. However, do so, I find myself with really bloody long periods of gameplay where I'm just jumping day to day, building links until the end of the month, when the actual interesting story segments take place. They happen, I defeat the boss, I clear the next block of Tartarus and then it's more kinda boring social linking till the next moon. I feel the pacing is pretty off this way.

OK, here's my point. I find myself losing interest in the game because of this, and I'm really only sticking around for the story. Now, beforehand I had heard about Aegis. I'm a sucker for robots, and up until now I've been progressing knowing I was going to meet her soon. I had no idea what she was like, how the first meeting was played out - nothing other than her design and that she was an anti-Shadow weapon (which is an awesome concept). I imagined playing through a block of Tartarus, and stumbling across a hidden lab (I thought these were what the old documents hinted at) and finding here there, waking her up and having some crazy plot twists.

Instead, we meet her on a beach, during summer vacation, and absolutely no one bats an eyelid that she's a real life, artificially intelligent killer robot. There's a couple of short questions, then all of a sudden she's just hanging around the dorm. It really took wind out of my sails. I haven't touched it since.

I need to know PersonaGAF - when does the story pick up. Are there any engaging twists coming up soon? I need more story to grab onto now.

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the Persona series, but I'm looking for some advice.

I got my Vita at Christmas, and heard so many good things about P4G being the killer app for the platform that I actually bought it from the PSN 12 days of Christmas sale before I had the console.

I played P4G to completion around a month ago, and I have to say that it didn't disappoint in the slightest. As my first Persona game, some things took a little getting used to, but I really enjoyed the plot, setting and characterisation. I really loved it a lot, and plan on a NG+ at some point.

Because I loved the plot and characters so much, naturally I was drawn to P4 Arena. I managed to find the only used copy in my town, much to my delight. Now, I always knew that P4A had some characters from P3, something I have no experience with, however with Persona Q coming as well, I've decided on holding off playing P4A or PQ until I've played Persona 3 in some form, and understand it's characters and story.

I only have access to the Vita, but quite happily plonked down for a digital download of P3P. I read up on all the differences between the different P3 versions, and honestly I don't mind the static over world and lack of actual cutscenes, I'm fine with it.

Starting P3, I was immediately drawn to just how... dark and gritty it felt in comparison to P4. The Dark Hour, Transmogrification, Evokers - it all seemed a lot more serious than before, and I found myself more interested as a result. Right from the very first Shadow, fight, I felt like I might actually like P3 more!

Sadly, this atmosphere doesn't stick around very long, and we were back to the same light hearted social links as P4, which, fine, I really don't mind and enjoy still.

I find myself being able to clear an entire block of Tartarus (at least until the gate) in one night, and don't see why I shouldn't due to the changes in the tiredness in this version. Might as well, right? Healing is cheap in the lobby too, compared to P4. However, do so, I find myself with really bloody long periods of gameplay where I'm just jumping day to day, building links until the end of the month, when the actual interesting story segments take place. They happen, I defeat the boss, I clear the next block of Tartarus and then it's more kinda boring social linking till the next moon. I feel the pacing is pretty off this way.

OK, here's my point. I find myself losing interest in the game because of this, and I'm really only sticking around for the story. Now, beforehand I had heard about Aegis. I'm a sucker for robots, and up until now I've been progressing knowing I was going to meet her soon. I had no idea what she was like, how the first meeting was played out - nothing other than her design and that she was an anti-Shadow weapon (which is an awesome concept). I imagined playing through a block of Tartarus, and stumbling across a hidden lab (I thought these were what the old documents hinted at) and finding here there, waking her up and having some crazy plot twists.

Instead, we meet her on a beach, during summer vacation, and absolutely no one bats an eyelid that she's a real life, artificially intelligent killer robot. There's a couple of short questions, then all of a sudden she's just hanging around the dorm. It really took wind out of my sails. I haven't touched it since.

I need to know PersonaGAF - when does the story pick up. Are there any engaging twists coming up soon? I need more story to grab onto now.

Persona 3 has drastically worse pacing than Persona 4 IMO. It starts out strong, gets kind of boring, then it picks up a little bit, then it gets boring again, then it gets even more boring, then you get to the climax which is better than anything in Persona 4 and the final boss is just awesome. I think it is still worth sticking with though.

Soriku

P3's story doesn't really get good till later on. And it's less because the twists/revelations themselves are awesome, but the game has good build up, and I liked
the town getting more vacant and the impending doom
in the last month or two. Also Memories of the City/of the School (Garden).

I don't think I'll understand people who think P3 has a much better story than 4. There is a whole lot of nothing in P3. P4 is still similar though, but the pacing is much better and there are more events to keep you engaged (not just plot events). Also P4 has much better villains. P3 arguably has a better last month, but I think the story and themes are more interesting in P4 overall.

Jinto

Just so you know, we play Arena amongst ourselves in the IRC quite often. So if you ever want some matches against people of, pretty much, all skill ranges, Come join us!

http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#personagaf&server=globalgamers.net

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind for when I finish the story modes.

If you aren't completely enjoying the game right now, I don't think the rest will sway you too much. There are instances where it picks up, but also a lot of times it slows down. I think you should still finish it though. The story remains pretty strong, and does get dark again. There are some S-Links that appear later on that are some of the best in the series, imo.

Yukari and Junpei are the only two characters in P3 I would say are fully properly developed characters in the P4 sense. Junpei's the better of the two.

Mitsuru and Aigis are the next step down--they are properly developed, but Aigis's development comes way too late after months of nothing and Mitsuru never really comes across as a real person.

Fuuka and Ken have character arcs but they forgot to do the actual grunt work of showing them and instead have just the beginning and the end. They feel unfinished. And poor Ken hardly ever appears in any other scenes.

Akihiko is a non-character, flat as a board.

Koromaru is a dog.

Shinjiro is a glorified plot device.

I always thought going in that Persona 3 had a lot more characters than 4, and while that's technically true, in the end it really feels like it has less.

Jinto

The P4 cast has more chemistry, as well as the better MC, but I preferred the main female characters in P3. Fuuka was kinda weak though. They aren't as fleshed out, but I felt I had more of a connection with them for some reason.

P3 Female side drastically improves basically every character, though.

Interesting. Maybe I should start this soon.

Jofamo

Cheers guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I guess since I'm about halfway through the game now, I might as well stick with it until the end. There are parts of it that I'm genuinely enjoying!

I'm actually pretty far into the social links for some characters, and I'm enjoying a few of them, especially Maya and the Girl from the Shrine. I've been trying to prioritise ones that aren't available on as many days. Last I checked, I was;

Fool - SEES - Rank 5
Magician - Classmate - Rank 9
Emperor - Student Council - Rank 7
Hiero - Old Couple - Rank 4
Chariot - Swim Team - Rank 6
Justice - Treasurer - Rank 5
Hermit - Online Game - Rank 8
Fortune - Photography Club - Rank 1
Strength - Team Manager - Rank 5
Hanged - Girl at Shrine - Rank 8
Death - Mysterious Boy - Rank 3
Temper - Transfer Student - Rank 2
Devil - Businessman - Rank 1
Tower - Unusual Monk - Rank 1
Moon - Gourmet King - Rank 1

Seeing as I have a lot of time to do social links, can you recommend some that I maybe should be prioritising, or which are the better ones of the game?

Sophia

I think the fact that you can't social link with like half of them in FES really makes some of SEES members feel like dead weight.

Portable removing a lot of the ho-hum social links and replacing them with social links from the main cast really did wonders. It's a shame the improvements are only in Portable, and only for the female protagonist.

FluxWaveZ

Akihiko is a non-character, flat as a board.

I can't agree with this. Can't really make a in-depth argument as to why right now, but I'd like to point this scene out (Persona 3 spoilers).

P3 actually has character development, with several moments like the one I posted above. In P4, the characters have two phases: how they are before they face their Shadow, and how they are for the rest of the game afterwards. There isn't much of an arc there, while P3 has the freedom to flesh out the characters as the game progresses naturally because it's not restricted to optional Social Link scenes.

A notable example is Junpei, like you said. In the beginning, he's remarkably jealous of the main character and is rather generally unstable. But everything that happens during the game serves to make him grow as a character, where he eventually becomes awesome in The Answer.

Portable removing a lot of the ho-hum social links and replacing them with social links from the main cast really did wonders. It's a shame the improvements are only in Portable, and only for the female protagonist.

They probably didn't want to change the male protags social links based on fan expectations. Though I doubt anyone would really cry over Kenji if he was scrapped.

Sophia

They probably didn't want to change the male protags social links based on fan expectations. Though I doubt anyone would really cry over Kenji if he was scrapped.

I am fairly certain nobody would give two shits if Kenji and Nozomi were removed. Neither of them have very interesting plotlines. Providing alternative links (similar to how Persona 4 handles its school clubs) would be an interesting experiment too.

I can't agree with this. Can't really make a in-depth argument as to why right now, but I'd like to point this scene out (Persona 3 spoilers)

I can't say I agree with Akihiko either, especially considering he has some noticeable character development once the ball gets rolling. He's exactly the kind of character who needed to be a social link however, like how he is in Persona 3 Portable.

I can't agree with this. Can't really make a in-depth argument as to why right now, but I'd like to point this scene out (Persona 3 spoilers).
I wasn't really impressed by this scene at all. It would be a lot better if the game made a more concerted effort to make him into a rounded character, but as it is in context it's this weird spike in an otherwise pretty much flat line.

EDIT: I would disagree that P4 didn't really have character arcs, it just went about them in a way RPGs don't normally do them. They are told in singular, relatively short stories before you get them on your team. They aren't missing, they're just different. P3's development is much more traditional RPG in the sense that they're spaced across the entire game and layered atop one another.

Squire

Banned
I am fairly certain nobody would give two shits if Kenji and Nozomi were removed. Neither of them have very interesting plotlines. Providing alternative links (similar to how Persona 4 handles its school clubs) would be an interesting experiment too.

Perhaps we'll see when P3 Vita rolls around!

Top Bottom