• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Definitley Dub
I don't like how Ameno Sagiri's voice is mainly Adachi's voice in the anime. I know it was hard to hear in the game, but I did miss the menacing voice he had.

They used like 642350 filters on his voice in the game though, to an almost cartoonish effect. I would've preferred it if they just dialed it back a bit while maintaining the deep voice though; hearing Adachi's goofy voice coming from it deflated its coolness factor even more than its creepy eyelashes did.

kewlmyc

The dub is jarring when there's two different voices for Kanji in it. Why they didn't dub the whole thing at once I have no idea.

Sophia

Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn did a much job at voicing Naoto, imo.

For one, her "boy" voice was actually somewhat convincing.

She doesn't sound like a boy. She sounds like a forty year old woman voicing a sixteen year old. And her performance is phoned in compared to her usual magnificence. Mind you, that last one is probably Sentai's fault.

The dub is jarring when there's two different voices for Kanji in it. Why they didn't dub the whole thing at once I have no idea.

They probably didn't have the whole thing at once. I bet the Japanese licensers held the episodes until a certain date so they had to dub it once at a time.

Oh trust me. The replacement actor, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, is one of my favorite voice actors in the industry. But she does not fit Naoto at all.

The problem with her performance was that it sounded like I was hearing the Major speaking as the character and not Naoto, and it sounded way too deep for her.

Like Sophia said they probably didn't do the whole anime in one go. The reason for Kanji's VA(Troy Baker) being replaced halfway through the series was because he got married and went on his honeymoon during the time of recording the other half of the anime and needed a replacement.

PK Gaming

She doesn't sound like a boy. She sounds like a forty year old woman voicing a sixteen year old. And her performance is phoned in compared to her usual magnificence. Mind you, that last one is probably Sentai's fault.

Lucifer, Helel

I didn't think it was that bad :V

FluxWaveZ

New Persona Q trailers are up.

Zen

Rei

Gah, foiled! Not only is this not Fuuka and Rise, but they're super early for once, too!

Guess I didn't account for the new guys.

Edit: I don't like these guys. Labrys was a bit weird upon first seeing her, but I came to like her despite her dumb giant axe, though a lot of that was because of her story. Sho, despite the weird red hair and yellow shoes (that have already grown on me), I liked from the outset.

And even though I'm thinking P4D might be a bit too crazy for me, Kanamin is cool too, especially since she has ties to P4 itself (kinda like Labrys did to P3 and maybe Sho will too).

These new guys, though... I dunno.

Zen and Rei seem weird. Compared to the others in the game, they just don't fit in that well imo.
I got a feeling they won't be appearing in future Persona games

Woah, didn't know they were playable though. That's cool..

Sophia

Gah, foiled! Not only is this not Fuuka and Rise, but they're super early for once, too!

YOUR GLORIOUS SCHEMEING WAS FOILED BY ATLUS.

I like Rei, but Zen's kinda boring.

Also I'm pretty sure Rei's a shadow or something not-human.

FluxWaveZ

Also I'm pretty sure Rei's a shadow or something not-human.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. Don't know why every new character has to be wearing Yasogami outfits, though. Made sense for Labrys. Don't know why Sho would have one yet.

Eh, might make sense for these PQ characters as well. Interested to see more, at least.

PK Gaming

Edit: I don't like these guys. Labrys was a bit weird upon first seeing her, but I came to like her despite her dumb giant axe, though a lot of that was because of her story. Sho, despite the weird red hair and yellow shoes (that have already grown on me), I liked from the outset.

And even though I'm thinking P4D might be a bit too crazy for me, Kanamin is cool too, especially since she has ties to P4 itself (kinda like Labrys did to P3 and maybe Sho will too).

tumblr_m83kbbtzkg1qjisst.jpg

Don't know if you ever watched monster, but this is you right now :d

MSMrRound

Yeah, I was hoping they would do Junpei's next. Oh well. At least we know that Zen and Rei are going to be playable characters.

The part about them being playable characters was actually shown in another trailer from a while back. Think it was the second Persona Q trailer if I'm not wrong? You can clearly see them using a Bufu-type spell on a enemy.

With that said, I'm personally hoping for a Bufu/Garu type MC when Persona 5 rolls out.

Caladrius

Zen and Rei's place in the world will be made clear.

Of course I won't be playing the game so I can hear it from all of you after the fact.

If I remember correctly, he's still at the base guarding Sera at that point, ya? So you haven't interacted with him much.

You are correct. I've only played about 1-2 hours but it feels like forever since I've been taking so long to get to it.

CorvoSol

Kanamin looks like a skanky McDonalds employee.

#PersonaPopGAF

Sophia

Yeah, that seems reasonable. Don't know why every new character has to be wearing Yasogami outfits, though. Made sense for Labrys. Don't know why Sho would have one yet.

Eh, might make sense for these PQ characters as well. Interested to see more, at least.

In the case of Rei and Zen they're no doubt linked to the Seven Wonders of Yasogami High, and if either of them is a Shadow they probably just manifested with it.

You don't think Zen is a shadow?

It's possible, but I think it's more likely that Rei is given she has all the trademark characteristics of someone who is not human.

Trigger

I'm going to guess that Zen/Rei are gods or magical beings that have forgotten their true purpose or something equally generic. Still excited to play it though!

I noticed that with each trailer's battle scene the two were inseparable, like they might have separate turns but cannot be used as single characters.

Yeah, it looks like Rei does the magic casting and Zen does the physical work.

The part about them being playable characters was actually shown in another trailer from a while back. Think it was the second Persona Q trailer if I'm not wrong? You can clearly see them using a Bufu-type spell on a enemy.

Guess I must have missed it.

I noticed that with each trailer's battle scene the two were inseparable, like they might have separate turns but cannot be used as single characters.

Doesn't look like they have separate turns. They'll probably just act as 1 person like you said, but share their skills.

Gazoinks

20th Century Boys is another amazing manga by Naoki Urasawa of Monster fame though. It's personally my favourite Urasawa series. Loved the real life movie adaptation too.

I never finished this series because Barnes & Noble stopped stocking it and then I forgot about it. It and Monster are both great though.

Sophia

20th Century Boys is another amazing manga by Naoki Urasawa of Monster fame though. It's personally my favourite Urasawa series. Loved the real life movie adaptation too.

20th Century Boys is pretty amazing, but I think Pluto has it beat for Urasawa's best. I'm totally not biased in more ways than one or anything...

I don't think I'm going to like these one shot characters Rei and Zen, even that Sho guy for P4A2. Its gonna hurt how the story will end up revolving around them at the end of the game.

Then again time will tell.

kewlmyc

The problem with her performance was that it sounded like I was hearing the Major speaking as the character and not Naoto, and it sounded way too deep for her.

Like Sophia said they probably didn't do the whole anime in one go. The reason for Kanji's VA(Troy Baker) being replaced halfway through the series was because he got married and went on his honeymoon during the time of recording the other half of the anime and needed a replacement.

They probably didn't have the whole thing at once. I bet the Japanese licensers held the episodes until a certain date so they had to dub it once at a time.

The release were staggered, as per the usual Japanese-model.

I know the reasoning as to why Troy was replaced, it just sucks that they recieved the episodes in pieces, or didn't plan that well in their schedules. I doubt Troy's honeymoon was so long that they couldn't wait a bit, but I guess I ultimately don't know how the dubbing process works.

kewlmyc

I don't think I'm going to like these one shot characters Rei and Zen, even that Sho guy for P4A2. Its gonna hurt how the story will end up revolving around them at the end of the game.

Then again time will tell.

I think it's inevitable that new characters are introduced in games like this and that the plot revolves around them. In P4A and I'm assuming P4A2, the P3 and P4 character's stories are done. Having the game revolve around them could cause them to retread in character development or have a plot where nothing happens. Look at all the individual routes in P4A for example, excluding Labrys and maybe Elizabeth. In PQ, the story takes place in the middle of P3 and P4's story, so you can't have character arcs in the middle of character arcs, unless amnesia happens at the end (which is bullshit). When coming up with filler games (PQ) or sequels to stories that already have a conclusive ending (P4A), the easiest thing to do is just bring in a new character that can have their own character arc while the original cast just tags along for the ride. Use it as an excuse to have unique character interactions or show what happened to the characters after their respective games (Tales of Xillia 2 also does this).

Sophia

P4A had a lot of character development for the P3 cast, because Labrys's story was connected to all of them indirectly .Not so much for the Persona 4 cast.

I am hoping that Rei and Zen have something to do with the Midnight Channel, actually...

Squire

Banned
You guys think P4A2 will be digital-only in EU? I'm thinking digital-only or NISA gets it. I don't see Zen happening again. Anyone, but them and I also don't think Ghostlight is much better.

Top Bottom