• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PK Gaming

P4A had a lot of character development for the P3 cast, because Labrys's story was connected to all of them indirectly .Not so much for the Persona 4 cast.

I am hoping that Rei and Zen have something to do with the Midnight Channel, actually...
The manga version of P4A at least attempts to give Yu and Yosuke character development, which is really, really cool in my books.

You guys think P4A2 will be digital-only in EU? I'm thinking digital-only or NISA gets it. I don't see Zen happening again. Anyone, but them and I also don't think Ghostlight is much better.

Digital only would be a good idea at least. Hell, I might do Digital Only just because changing so many discs around for fighting games can be a pain >.<

Marche90

She kinda reminds me of Chiho from Hataraku Maou-sama, and that's a good thing. Chiho is adorable.

Emi > Chi.

The resemblance is noted. It's the use of red and yellow that does it.

Fight me.

You ever heard of eating crow? Well, I'm gonna eat you alive, brotha. >:I

NOT THIS AGAIN!

Though I'm in the Emi side so I can't exactly call myself impartial

FluxWaveZ

You guys think P4A2 will be digital-only in EU? I'm thinking digital-only or NISA gets it. I don't see Zen happening again. Anyone, but them and I also don't think Ghostlight is much better.

Zen posted about it on their Facebook page, but I guess that doesn't mean they'll be handling the game's localization in Europe.

I think it would be retail there as well, unless localization gets sped up by going digital-only.

Sophia

The manga version of P4A at least attempts to give Yu and Yosuke character development, which is really, really cool in my books.

Well to be fair, she has character development with Yosuke, and Teddie in the game. But that's just two characters out of eight in a game where the story is split into character routes. :\

PK Gaming

Well to be fair, she has character development with Yosuke, and Teddie in the game. But that's just two characters out of eight in a game where the story is split into character routes. :\
Kind of unfortunate how Kanji, Chie and Yukiko get left at the wayside hehe. (At least Naoto got to hang out with the Shadow Ops)

As an aside, the way the manga handled the fight between Yu & Yosuke, and Aigis & S.Lab were nothing short of amazing.

kewlmyc

P4A had a lot of character development for the P3 cast, because Labrys's story was connected to all of them indirectly .Not so much for the Persona 4 cast.
It's been a while since I've played P4A, but which of the P3 stories developed their respective characters and how? Mitsuru was the same as her past self, Akihiko barely had a story, and Aigis' felt like a retread of her arc in P3; Her becoming more human. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

FluxWaveZ

As an aside, the way the manga handled the fight between Yu & Yosuke, and Aigis & S.Lab were nothing short of amazing.

S. Lab appears in volume II?

It's been a while since I've played P4A, but which of the P3 stories developed their respective characters and how? Mitsuru was the same as her past self, Akihiko barely had a story, and Aigis' felt like a retread of her arc in P3; Her becoming more human. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Each of the P3 character stories at least fill in what each of them have been up to since Persona 3, which Atlus has said they will do more of in P4A2.

CorvoSol

Theyre both bad

The Land Lady is the one true waifu.

LOGIC HAS NO PLACE IN THIS ARGUMENT.

This be waifu wars, mothalovah.

Sgt. Major Melissa Mao is the Best Girl in Full Metal Panic!

Hanekawa is the Best Girl in Monogatari

Rise is the Best Girl in Persona 4

The Best Girl in Final Fantasy VII is Aerith

Eve is the Best Girl, Lillith is for chumps, and Adam was right to ditch her blood sucking ass.

Sophia

Mitsuru's story dealt with aspects of her corporation and being able to not escape the sins commited by people in the past, as well as her inability to trust people (including Labrys initially.) Akihiko's storyline was less connected to Labyrs's, but mainly dealt with his lack of purpose in his life. Aigis's story deal with her humanity
and as Shadow Aigis in P4A2 shows, there is the strong implication that she resents it. The aspect of which contrasts Labrys's own story, who longs for a normal life.

There was a lot of further character development for all three of them, and it's a nice contrast to the P4 cast, whose story modes are a hit and a miss in P4A. Some of the P4 cast had story developments (Yosuke, Teddie, Naoto to a lesser degree), and the rest just felt like they were there to save the day.

PK Gaming

All 3 of them do!

They're kind of blazé outside of their own paths, but their respective story modes Incorporated some legitimate character development.

Akihiko finally gets some meaningful character development beyond his basic
imma avenge you Shinji development kthxbye, nonsense he got in P3.
Up until the start of P4A, he was aimlessly training to get stronger without a reason, but at the end of his story arc
he realizes that power is useless without a purpose, and fighting while "ignoring" fear will get you killed. At the end of his story arc, he resolves to protect people who can't protect themselves and steps down from Shadow Ops.
Oh and he freaking dodged bullets. Bullets.

Aigis's development isn't really a retread; her story builds on the existing character development she received in the answer. She regains her excellent sense of humor in the process!

Mitsuru's story is all about her having to overcome her latent insecurities and fears over Kirijo group. Despite being the leader of the Shadow Ops, she kind of keeps all of her problems to herself, and doesn't really trust anyone outside of Akihiko. The game makes it clear that she finally gets her shit together by the end of the events of P4A with that funny image at the end.

kewlmyc

All 3 of them do!

They're kind of blazé outside of their own paths, but their respective story modes Incorporated some legitimate character development.

Akihiko finally gets some meaningful character development beyond his basic
imma avenge you Shinji development kthxbye, nonsense he got in P3.
Up until the start of P4A, he was aimlessly training to get stronger without a reason, but at the end of his story arc
he realizes that power is useless without a purpose, and fighting while "ignoring" fear will get you killed. At the end of his story arc, he resolves to protect people who can't protect themselves and steps down from Shadow Ops.
Oh and he freaking dodged bullets. Bullets.

Aigis's development isn't really a retread; her story builds on the existing character development she received in the answer. She regains her excellent sense of humor in the process!

Mitsuru's story is all about her having to overcome her latent insecurities and fears over Kirijo group. Despite being the leader of the Shadow Ops, she kind of keeps all of her problems to herself, and doesn't really trust anyone outside of Akihiko. The game makes it clear that she finally gets her shit together by the end of the events of P4A with that funny image at the end.

I'll give you Akihiko since I forgot most of that. Aigis also felt like a different person than she was in P3, but she started the game off like that, like in the airport scene. But Mitsuru's story sounds just like her arc in P3 with her not trusting people, except that in P3
Yukari becomes her support.

I might buy P4A2 if only to experience Yukari and Junpei's stories.

In other news I now have access to an ancient SDTV and a PS2 so I will finally be able to play P4 again.

You know, outside of battle I don't have a big problem with Naoto, but IN BATTLE her voice is all kinds of wonky,

"HAAAAL YUUUHUUUUURS" Take a cough drop, jeez.
That reminds me--the characters in Persona 4 are always so disappointed when they can't kill an enemy with their physical attacks.

"Ugh, I can't defeat it!"

Man Yukiko, your fan hasn't killed anything ever, get over yourself.

Concerning
Adachi, the more I look back on it the better I think he was as a character. His motives seem so thin at first view, but on further inspection he's actually really interesting. I like how he's not entirely spelled out for you either, but you can infer a lot about him from the flashbacks you see--he has the sick belief that he deserves everything he wants, Izanami's gift only making him worse. Of course I haven't seen his Social Links in Golden though, so there's probably something to him that I'm missing. But I'm still not sure how he managed to fit Mitsuo inside that tiny TV. Saki maybe, but I can't see him sticking Mitsuo in there, let alone with any haste.

Also, when you see him for the first time and he vomits, was that him putting on his rookie idiot disguise, or was that something else--probably shock as to realizing he had actually murdered someone? I'm sure this has been discussed before.

FireSol

I'm curious, since P4A follow cannon story lines from P3 and 4 can we expect that it will affect P5 story if it take it place in the same universe? I really wanna see
Chie and Akihiko became a Cops

FluxWaveZ

I'm curious, since P4A follow cannon story lines from P3 and 4 can we expect that it will affect P5 story if it take it place in the same universe? I really wanna see
Chie and Akihiko became a Cops

Hell no. The P4A series, PQ and P4D exist for that stuff. Please, for the love of everything, let P5 be its own thing.

Squire

Banned
I'm like 75% sure I'm just gonna play DR in Japanese. It might sound better in full context, but the English track sounds off in the trailer and that's typical for NISA. I've pretty much only heard the JP track is excellent and after playing Sweet Fuse, I'm much more open to playing games with the audio set to moonspeak.

I played some of the translation to act like a demo of sorts for me. I really enjoyed what I played so getting it on Vita is a priority for me. No guarantees when but I do want it.

Do you want it physically or digitally?

Sophia

Hell no. The P4A series, PQ and P4D exist for that stuff. Please, for the love of everything, let P5 be its own thing.

Persona 5 will definitely be its own thing. That said, the subtle but overarching plotlines that have been constant in all mainline installments will no doubt continue.

wmlk

Anybody here think we'll hear some P5 news for the PS4 launch event that Sony will undoubtedly have? I'm optimistic for a cross-platform announcement.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 5 will definitely be its own thing. That said, the subtle but overarching plotlines that have been constant in all mainline installments will no doubt continue.

There'll probably be some references, but I wouldn't expect any major story point devoted to fanservice stuff.

Anybody here think we'll hear some P5 news for the PS4 launch event that Sony will undoubtedly have? I'm optimistic for a cross-platform announcement.

PS4 launch event? I don't think so. Hashino's already said he's aware of the PS4 and P5 for it ain't gonna happen due to lack of resources, so I wouldn't expect any announcement like that until it launches for the PS3.

Unless Sega and/or Sony step up or something crazy happens for a launch port.

Sophia

There'll probably be some references, but I wouldn't expect any major story point devoted to fanservice stuff.

Well, every installment has had the reoccurring elements build upon themselves. That probably won't change.

Actually we'll probably see more of it because of the passing of Igor's actor makes it a good time to bring back Philemon as a direct participant in the action.

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Shadow Operatives as an organization play a role, but not Mitsuru and co.

FluxWaveZ

Well, every installment has had the reoccurring elements build upon themselves. That probably won't change.

Actually we'll probably see more of it because of the passing of Igor's actor makes it a good time to bring back Philemon as a direct participant in the action.

I don't know about the Philemon stuff, but the limited dialogue for the secret bosses and references like the Port Island trip in P4 or the Chihiro cameo is the most I would expect from P5. Definitely would not count on a P1 > P2 type level of references and cameos to past games.

Squire

Banned
PS4 launch event? I don't think so. Hashino's already said he's aware of the PS4 and P5 for it ain't gonna happen due to lack of resources, so I wouldn't expect any announcement like that until it launches for the PS3.

Unless Sega and/or Sony step up or something crazy happens for a launch port.

I can't imagine it, unless Sony is fronting the bill for some PS4 stuff in some way.

Reaching out to devs is Sony's bread and butter lately, to the point that there's now a team to do specifically that.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I think it sits pretty comfortably in the realm of possibility.

Sophia

I don't know about the Philemon stuff, but the limited dialogue for the secret bosses and references like the Port Island trip in P4 or the Chihiro cameo is the most I would expect from P5. Definitely would not count on a P1 > P2 type level of references and cameos to past games.

Only reason I'd be against such levels of reference and cameos is because they already did it in a spinoff title reasonably successfully. There's no reason to repeat the same ground again.

But like I said, I can definitely see the Shadow Operatives as an organization show up. Even if the characters who belong to it are brand new.

Reaching out to devs is Sony's bread and butter lately, to the point that there's now a team to do specifically that.

I wouldn't bet on it, but I think it sits pretty comfortably in the realm of possibility.

I could *maybe* see something down the line (but if anything, some sort of updated release like a Persona 5 Platinum or what have you) but as it is, I don't see a PS4 P5 happening anytime soon.

I wouldn't mind a beat-em-up spin-off starring Chie and Akihiko.

Platinum Games character action game with Akihiko beating out some giant shadows all around the world.

Do you like Persona 4? Do you like Rise? Well you're in luck because yosukeheadphones colored 80 (that's right 80) Rise icons from the Persona 4 manga.

tumblr_inline_n06qagpKDa1qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_mzxf09JWb91qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_n033jbn2P31qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_n06q2xVwrx1qhaskl.png
tumblr_inline_n06pxsGE6r1qhaskl.png

Enjoy

Thank you for sharing! Stole one for myself. :)

Looks like I'm going dub.

I, too, shall start on the dub. Thanks, PersonaGAF!

Squire

Banned
I could *maybe* see something down the line (but if anything, some sort of updated release like a Persona 5 Platinum or what have you) but as it is, I don't see a PS4 P5 happening anytime soon.

To be fair: P5 on PS3 isn't really happening "soon". Certainly not for us.

PK Gaming

S. Lab appears in volume II?
You bet! It seems like the author went with Yosuke's path.

I'll give you Akihiko since I forgot most of that. Aigis also felt like a different person than she was in P3, but she started the game off like that, like in the airport scene. But Mitsuru's story sounds just like her arc in P3 with her not trusting people, except that in P3
Yukari becomes her support.

Mitsuru's character development in 3
mostly dealt with her coming to terms with her father's death and slowly realizing that she isn't alone in the world. She bonds with Yukari, but that doesn't mean she's fully accepted the idea of opening up to others!
Her development in P4A's is about her taking responsibility for the bad things the Kirijo group and continuing the process of her opening up to others/sharing her burdens with other people.

FireSol

I wouldn't even be surprised if the Shadow Operatives as an organization play a role, but not Mitsuru and co.
I think Margaret could replace Igor or they can find someone extremely talented voice actor who can replace Isamu Tanonaka, but I doubt it because they used his voice from games in P4 Animation and new P3 movies.

Agreed with Shadow Ops.

FluxWaveZ

You bet! It seems like the author went with Yosuke's path.

Huh. Do you know if the manga's finished? I thought there'd be at least a third volume.

And yeah, people have been thinking that that's the "canon" path for P4A since it didn't contradict itself and apparently made sense with some other important ones, like Liz's.

PK Gaming

Huh. Do you know if the manga's finished? I thought there'd be at least a third volume.

And yeah, people have been thinking that that's the "canon" path for P4A since it didn't contradict itself and apparently made sense with some other important ones, like Liz's.
Haven't got a clue, sorry :(

And yeah, Yosuke's path was super flexible. I'm really glad he got a chance to shine.

Sophia

Worth pointing out that the Aigis's route and Yosuke's route are virtually identical up until near the final act. It's probably following Aigis's story.

CorvoSol

That reminds me--the characters in Persona 4 are always so disappointed when they can't kill an enemy with their physical attacks.

"Ugh, I can't defeat it!"

Man Yukiko, your fan hasn't killed anything ever, get over yourself.

Concerning
Adachi, the more I look back on it the better I think he was as a character. His motives seem so thin at first view, but on further inspection he's actually really interesting. I like how he's not entirely spelled out for you either, but you can infer a lot about him from the flashbacks you see--he has the sick belief that he deserves everything he wants, Izanami's gift only making him worse. Of course I haven't seen his Social Links in Golden though, so there's probably something to him that I'm missing. But I'm still not sure how he managed to fit Mitsuo inside that tiny TV. Saki maybe, but I can't see him sticking Mitsuo in there, let alone with any haste.

Also, when you see him for the first time and he vomits, was that him putting on his rookie idiot disguise, or was that something else--probably shock as to realizing he had actually murdered someone? I'm sure this has been discussed before.

My favorite thing about it all is actually that
Yu and Adachi don't ever have Shadows, because they are, essentially, each other's. Adachi works out to be exactly the kind of guy Yu could have been. Yu is courageous, intelligent, kind, dilligent and an all around good guy who goes out of his way to understand everyone from the guy who kidnapped his little sister to the nurse who tried to rape him. Yet a person of Yu's skill, wit, and prowess could very easily be like Adachi. Adachi, conversely, is cruel, vicious, selfish and apathetic. Since in Persona we see that everyone has both a good and a bad side, it's only fair to say that the temptation to be a monster exists within Yu, and that the remnant or potential to be good exists within Adachi. They are both what the other is repressing. I also like the way the two of them embody Izanagi's two sides. Yu is the God who raised up mankind, and the hero who braved the land of the dead for his beloved, and Adachi is the coward who, upon realizing a woman was not who he thought she was, abandoned her.

Do they share voice actors in Japanese, too? Because that would really make me feel the entire thing was intentional.

FluxWaveZ

My favorite thing about it all is actually that
Yu and Adachi don't ever have Shadows, because they are, essentially, each other's. [...] Since in Persona we see that everyone has both a good and a bad side, it's only fair to say that the temptation to be a monster exists within Yu, and that the remnant or potential to be good exists within Adachi. They are both what the other is repressing.

Whoa, I don't know if I agree with this at all. Am I alone here?

CorvoSol

Whoa, I don't know if I agree with this at all. Am I alone here?

You don't find it at all conspicuous that, of all
the characters to enter the Shadow World, only Yu and Adachi never have Shadows?

He's not entirely wrong, but he's taking the concept of a shadow (Jungian philosophy) a bit too far and missing other comparisons too.

They do not.

Hey I've only played the game once. Not my fault if I'm forgetting some things.

FluxWaveZ

You don't find it at all conspicuous that, of all
the characters to enter the Shadow World, only Yu and Adachi never have Shadows?

I don't think that that's relevant to
how they share facets of themselves, though. Sure, like Yu tells Sho in P4A2, he could have had the potential to use his powers for evil had his circumstances been the same as the antagonists, but saying they're straight up each other's Shadows is a bit much.

If anything, I think how the anime and P4A2 depicts Yu's Shadow is how I would envision his the most.

Top Bottom