• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Style

Banned
My pic for fool/protag/whatever week.

fanart_002_aigisblue_v10_1200px.jpg

Higher res.

I might be a bit late, but this is superb. I really like it!

Acid08

Banned
And he's allergic to cats. Super deep.

Btw, he actually shows up in P2:IS and looks distant and cold
tumblr_meffdu9w5d1rg9gfzo3_500.png

There's a reason for that though
Yeah, I ran into him and was like "hey it's that guy from the thing, that's pretty cool" then stopped playing because I haaaaaaate playing IS :(

Acid08

Banned
And that's not a comment on the characters or story, both are fantastic. But the combat and dungeon crawling are super bad. Movement in dungeons feels weird and even with fusion spells the battles are slow. A crazy tedious slog to get through.

But I started it so it'll get finished. Probably after I'm done with FFX.

PK Gaming

Yeah, I ran into him and was like "hey it's that guy from the thing, that's pretty cool" then stopped playing because I haaaaaaate playing IS :(

Playing IS is like reading a book that bars you from reading more until you finish running 20 laps across the field.

It's a pain in the ass, but I just had to know what happened next.

Jintor

Sigh. Once my spending money bank account drops below a certain amount I'm reluctant to spend any money on anything. I saw the P4A artbook in Kino the other day and I really wanted it, but I really should save to buy stuff when I move...

Speaking of Persona 3, I thought I'd try out a Persona 3 Shadow for a change of pace.
tumblr_n3xqewTSUM1tt73w0o1_1280.png

Shadow Yukari.

Go here for the explanation.

I was so hoping that you'd do a Shadow Yukari at some point, Mamba... and this looks amazing! The description on your blog makes a lot of sense for her, and I feel like this would fit into the Persona mythos really well. Thank you for doing this one! :D

EDIT:

Sorry I haven't been around much; was at a work conference for most of last week, got a nasty cold on the trip back, managed to make it through PAX, and now I'm back at work... So I just finished a lot of PersonaGAF catch-up! XD
Going to try and work on some Protagonist artwork before tomorrow night-- everyone else's has been really great to see!

kewlmyc

I was so hoping that you'd do a Shadow Yukari at some point, Mamba... and this looks amazing! The description on your blog makes a lot of sense for her, and I feel like this would fit into the Persona mythos really well. Thank you for doing this one! :D

EDIT:

Sorry I haven't been around much; was at a work conference for most of last week, got a nasty cold on the trip back, managed to make it through PAX, and now I'm back at work... So I just finished a lot of PersonaGAF catch-up! XD
Going to try and work on some Protagonist artwork before tomorrow night-- everyone else's has been really great to see!
What do you do for a living? Sounds gaming related if you went to PAX.

Probably this little beauty:

I remember seeing it online before I even knew what Persona was, and even then I was impressed with it. Runner-up's gotta be Junpei's character art, though.

Look at that fistpump. Only Da Man could handle that kind of swagger.

I think Persona 3 fits much better with this artstyle than when Soejima uses it in some promotional art of P4. The clean look with the middle face sunburn works much better for P4 style.

I really like the top image, Junpei's one... not so much. I always felt he was too white there, looks like his dead or something.

Sophia

Her skin is just a darker complexion then average. I don't think it's terribly unusual, as far as I know. Certainly don't believe she's meant to be black.

CorvoSol

Not a ridiculous enough caricature to be a black character in a Japanese game.

On the other hand, Jun from Great Mazinger is half-black, half-Japanese, not a caricature, a competent fighter in the show and has an episode dedicated to how racist Japanese people can be toward not 100% Japanese people.

In a kid's show from the 70s.

Acid08

Banned
On the other hand, Jun from Great Mazinger is half-black, half-Japanese, not a caricature, a competent fighter in the show and has an episode dedicated to how racist Japanese people can be toward not 100% Japanese people.

In a kid's show from the 70s.
That's great, wish there was more of it.

Gazoinks

That is what I'm thinking of no idea if it's still a thing, but I think it was at the time.

Yuko and... Fuuka's friend whatever her name is I always assumed were ganguro. Which is a similar thing, although according to Wikipedia it also died out in the early 2000s so who knows! As far as Zen goes, I took his tan-ness more as a way of making him seem exotic (which is a pretty common trope in anime and the like) than a marker of a specific ethnicity.

CorvoSol

P4A

So I just got to the part prior to Aigis' fight. So far only Yukiko has been hard for me. Not sure what's going on, but with the introduction of a P3 character I assume we're going to get some myth arc up in here, soon (since P3 sorta feels like the game that establishes the mythology for P3 onward. Course I still don't know how much P1 and P2 factor into that, but we'll see.

FluxWaveZ

Yuko isn't supposed to be black!?

Nuts.

Her skin color's too pale for how I imagine a black person would be depicted in a Persona game. They'd probably want to make it obvious, and maybe emphasize the aspect that they wouldn't look Japanese or something.

Persona 2's Ixquic might be. The Sumaru Genie's probably supposed to be stereotypically Indian, but she also probably has the darkest skin tone for a person in Persona.

Top Bottom