• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

Seriously, I don't get it. I think Rise's the part that's making me find it real hard to believe this. Rise... doesn't fight. The P4U2 story seems to be all serious business with how it's been depicted so far. If they wanted to go silly, that could work, but as it is now, Rise seems like it'd be so out of place unless something crazy happens to her in the story.

Also, if there were two new additions, I would have thought one of them would be very closely tied to the narrative, like the big bad or someone who the story revolves around.

Assuming this is true, and it likely is, I can't say I'm completely thrilled. I'll be excited to see Ken's new design and find out what he's been up to, but I'm not sure I like the idea of Rise and her Persona fighting. No doubt P-Studio has an idea to make it work, but I dunno...

I'm still holding out hope for the P4 villain, Margaret... hell even Takaya would be a fine addition to this fighting game. I know Rise is popular, but if her then why not Fuuka too, since she's also a support character/navigator? Well, as always I await the final product and see what ATLUS has in mind...

This man speaks the truth. I also want the P4 villian and Margaret.

FluxWaveZ

But Phoenix Wright doesn't fight!

Surely you can see the difference in style between Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Arena?

It's like using some crazy game like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax as an example. That's not really what P4A was setting itself out to be like, which I think is why people are hesitant regarding this possibility.

kewlmyc

But Phoenix Wright doesn't fight!

You're right, that's why he's bottom tier. ;_;

I'm not even mad, just bewildered. What a odd choice of characters to reveal last.
I'm interested in how Ken looks now. Hell, he's the closest I'll get to a scythe user, so I'll probably play him.

Style

Banned
Ken gets way more hate than he deserves.

I have no complaints regarding what characters they put in at this point. I consider them a bonus.

Surely you can see the difference in style between Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Persona 4 Arena?

It's like using some crazy game like Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax as an example. That's not really what P4A was setting itself out to be like, which I think is why people are hesitant regarding this possibility.

It's a fighting game, and as much as I love Persona, I think the idea of Rise fighting, if done well, would be awesome, as ridiculous as it'd be.

FluxWaveZ

It's a fighting game, and as much as I love Persona, I think the idea of Rise fighting, if done well, would be awesome, as ridiculous as it'd be.

Sure, I even said I think the devs could probably make it work on the last page, but that's not what I'm arguing. All I'm saying is that it would be a possible clash in tone and style of the game, and that's what has me skeptical.

Might be right on the money with something else as well
Release date is September 16, 2014 on the listing. This doesn't seem to be a placeholder. It's on a Tuesday, when Atlus USA releases their games, and it's oddly specific. I think Best Buy just accidentally leaked Ken Amada and the game's NA release date.

An oddly specific release date does make this have some semblance of weight to being real and not just a hoax.

Squire

Banned
Sure, I even said I think the devs could probably make it work on the last page, but that's not what I'm arguing. All I'm saying is that it would be a possible clash in tone and style of the game, and that's what has me skeptical.

P4A is fairly zany. I know it's somewhat serious, but I thinking you're giving it more weight than what's actually there.

Might be right on the money with something else as well

An oddly specific release date does make this have some semblance of weight to being real and not just a hoax.

Yeah, we covered that on the last page. He's right. Dates like this are very rarely not legit.

There's a very slim chance that any of this is fake, as it's Best Buy.

FluxWaveZ

P4A is fairly zany. I know it's somewhat serious, but I thinking you're giving it more weight than what's actually there.

Its story? How is the story zany in that way outside of the joke endings, Kanji and Teddie? I'm not against zaniness, but I don't get how something like waving a microphone around as a weapon would fit with the game's current aesthetics and design.

Squire

Banned
Its story? How is the story zany in that way outside of the joke endings, Kanji and Teddie? I'm not against zaniness, but I don't get how something like waving a microphone around as a weapon would fit with the game's current aesthetics and design.

I don't necessarily think that's what they're doing with her. My point is that whatever they come up with will probably be appropriate and that, aside from that, it's Persona - it's already fairly out-of-this-world and the series has always been like that. That's got nothing to do with Arc or P4A.

An odd thing to know about Japan, while Kanji as a character solo isn't that popular, the Kanji Naoto pairing is apparently a fan favorite.

FluxWaveZ

I don't necessarily think that's what they're doing with her. My point is that whatever they come up with will probably be appropriate and that, aside from that, it's Persona - it's already fairly out-of-this-world and the series has always been like that. That's got nothing to do with Arc or P4A.

If they're including her, I have some faith that they can make her work (like I said before), but I don't think that a game not being set in the real world should be an excuse for having characters push vending machines on the opponent as a special move. There is a reason that Atlus denied Nanako and Dojima as characters in the first game: that's not what they're going for. There's a meaning in style consistency and they know it's important to adhere to that vision, which is why I'm not breaking down at the possibility of Rise being a fighter.

If they're including her, I have some faith that they can make her work (like I said before), but I don't think that a game not being set in the real world should be an excuse for having characters push vending machines on the opponent as a special move. There is a reason that Atlus denied Nanako and Dojima as characters in the first game: that's not what they're going for. There's a meaning in style consistency and they know it's important to adhere to that vision, which is why I'm not breaking down at the possibility of Rise being a fighter.

But she's starring in a game where she fights Shadows with the power of dance, to be fair.

FluxWaveZ

But she's starring in a game where she fights Shadows with the power of dance, to be fair.

Heh, well that's another story. P4D is obviously going all-out for the craziness (e.g. the reveal trailer's announcer), so I'm sure whatever happens in that game will make sense for it, even though I have my doubts that they could really convince me that Shadows can now be defeated by the power of dance.

Squire

Banned

Agreed. Obviously Atlus is very close to all of this stuff. If they're doing if, I have to imagine it's a solid idea that does respect the universe and the fiction they set up.

And as far as the comparisons that people are making I have to say, it's not Fuuka also because she's nowhere near as popular and Nanako and Dojima are just regular people.

Rise is a persona-user and massively popular. That's the motivation right there. All they need is a good gameplay idea, which as stated, I don't believe Atlus would allow this move without one.

PK Gaming

Heh, put me firmly in the #FAKE camp.

I love Rise, and i'm one of the few people who doesn't outright hate Ken, but i'm having a hard time believing any of this.

FluxWaveZ

Looking back on my analysis—which I still stand by—knowing what's happened: the character on the left's 00 sprite is really close to Rise Kujikawa's height. I had already noted that the character on the right was close to Ken's height, as well.

FluxWaveZ

P4 spoilers
I'll be disappointed if Adachi isn't in P4U2. November's P5 announcement spoiled me for nothing!

Well, the character's still there. Just maybe not as a playable character.

Edit: Is it possible that the latest Famitsu teased updates of PQ and P4U2 in the next issue? Hearing that.

I'm not deriding an entire country, I've never seen a character poll for any media that isn't completely awful. Character polls, mind you, that are always Japanese.

Ken is just eh to me, I would rather have someone else than him if you ask me.
Rise I'm just indifferent to, she could be interesting, but I would have to see how she plays.

Top Bottom