• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

A noob question but... leveling up my S. Links benefits what exatctly?
Should I prioritize on leveling them up or is it better to focus on rise my social status such as courage, knowledge and understanding?

The higher your Social Link the better Persona of that arcana you can create through Fusion.

Of course, if you're like me, the best Persona in both 3 and 4 is your starter.

Kssio_Aug

The higher your Social Link the better Persona of that arcana you can create through Fusion.

Of course, if you're like me, the best Persona in both 3 and 4 is your starter.

A high level fused persona will be registered at compendium, and cand be get at the start of the game in a ng+?

hao chi

Should I prioritize on leveling them up or is it better to focus on rise my social status such as courage, knowledge and understanding?

As you level up your S. Links, you get more bonus experience when fusing Personas of the same arcana, and after you max an S. Link you're able to fuse that arcana's ultimate Persona (assuming you're a high enough level).

And I generally focus on S. Links during the after school segment and do the social stats at night or by answering class questions correctly. Before midterms and finals though there won't be much available in terms of S. Links, so you can focus on your social stats then if you want.

Trigger

When you fuse personae they recieve bonus experience based on how high you've leveled the social links of their arcana. Maxing a social link also unlocks a persona. Moreover, in P4 and Golden party members get bonuses as well.

leofficialshniz

Neo Member

Depends on the S Link. if it is an Investigation team S. Link(Chie, Yosuke, etc.), then that character can gain abilities in battle, like taking a mortal blow, or healing allies from status conditions.

S. Links for the other characters in the game don't affect your battle performance, but they do assist in raising your social attributes(knowledge, courage, etc.).

Hope that answers your question.

Kssio_Aug

As you level up your S. Links, you get more bonus experience when fusing Personas of the same arcana, and after you max an S. Link you're able to fuse that arcana's ultimate Persona (assuming you're a high enough level).

And I generally focus on S. Links during the after school segment and do the social stats at night or by answering class questions correctly. Before midterms and finals though there won't be much available in terms of S. Links, so you can focus on your social stats then if you want.

I see! And should I focus on just some specifics? Like those that will be easier to maximise?!

When you fuse personae they recieve bonus experience based on how high you've leveled the social links of their arcana. Maxing a social link also unlocks a persona. Moreover, in P4 and Golden party members get bonuses as well.

Depends on the S Link. if it is an Investigation team S. Link(Chie, Yosuke, etc.), then that character can gain abilities in battle, like taking a mortal blow, or healing allies from status conditions.

S. Links for the other characters in the game don't affect your battle performance, but they do assist in raising your social attributes(knowledge, courage, etc.).

Hope that answers your question.

Wow, thanks a lot to clarify everyone! =)
I think I will focus on both almost the same, but when doing S. Links I may focus more to the party members then!

Thanks!!

Meia

To understand what social linking does, you have to understand the Persona system the game itself sets up.

Basically, when it comes to the Personas your MC has, they get experience and level up just like your party member's ones do, but it in general takes twice as much exp per level to level them as it does for them. If Chie's Tomoe needs 10k exp for the next level, the MC's current one(provided it's the same level as Tomoe atm) would probably need 20k.

Now, this means that level up a persona to learn all of it's skills is hard at best, and wholly unrealistic at worst(understand the last Personas in the game you may need to level up to 8 times to get that skill, and almost all of the last skills a Persona gets are really good). The only way to help alleviate this is the social link system.

Basically, whenever you fuse a Persona, the game will take whatever social link the arcana matches with and give it a boatload of free experience. Usually at rank 1 for example, the Persona will level once immediately when it's fused. At rank 10, it can level up to 6 times max I think. So if you want to fuse a lv69 Surt of the Magician Arcana, and you are maxed rank with Yosuke(also of the magician arcana), the second you fuse it it'll level up to lv75 or so.

More than just the faster leveling to get the last abilities though, is the idea that you can only fuse a persona of your own level. HOWEVER, this does not factor in bonus exp from social links. In the above example, if the MC is lv69, you can fuse a Surt since it's base level is 69. If it goes up to lv75, there's still no problem, even if your MC can't use a lv75 persona normally. In this way, your main character can be above the strength curve for where everyone else is at.

I see! And should I focus on just some specifics? Like those that will be easier to maximise?!

All of them take roughly the same time to max, so long as you always tell them what they want to hear and you always have a persona on you of the matching arcana. If you're going out with Yosuke after school, make sure you have a persona of the Magician arcana on you so you'll get double the amount of points for any questions you answer on the visit.

In terms of what to focus on, in P4 as was said social links actually give the other character's personas new abilities, so focus on the party members you use first probably.

Focuse on the social links you like or find interesting. Would preference the whole team before the rest of the social links though. Just have fun.

And yeah, as they have say, maxing the social link let's you fuse the ultimate persona of that arcana. Team members have more good things in the gameplay departments apart from that from levelling their social links. If you are going for platinum (cosidering you are playing golden) I would level the atributes of the main character first as that will stay in you second playthrough.
BTW any max social link you get during your first playthrough will give you an item that will transfer into your NG+ and will let you make that ultimate persona even without maxing the social link during the second playthrough.

Social Links add extra experience points when you fuse a persona of the corresponding arcana. Say you work on the Chariot social link, the higher the rank it is, the more experience points you'll get when you make a Chariot-arcana persona with that fusion bonus. Also, maxing a Social Link will grant you access to make an exclusive persona later on that you can't fuse without getting said link to maximum and obtaining a specific item at the end of the link. Like others mentioned, this item carries into NG+.

Dantis

A random thought that I had earlier:

When Narukami dates someone, the implicatiom is that the rest of the group is unaware of it. By that same logic, other party members (except Kanji, I guess) could be dating each other in the parts of the game that are implied rather than seen.

Basically, I was thinking about the weird implications by Narukami being the only person to get a girlfriend, then I realised that even if other party members had one, the player wouldn't necessarily know about it.

Kssio_Aug

To understand what social linking does, you have to understand the Persona system the game itself sets up.

Basically, when it comes to the Personas your MC has, they get experience and level up just like your party member's ones do, but it in general takes twice as much exp per level to level them as it does for them. If Chie's Tomoe needs 10k exp for the next level, the MC's current one(provided it's the same level as Tomoe atm) would probably need 20k.

Now, this means that level up a persona to learn all of it's skills is hard at best, and wholly unrealistic at worst(understand the last Personas in the game you may need to level up to 8 times to get that skill, and almost all of the last skills a Persona gets are really good). The only way to help alleviate this is the social link system.

Basically, whenever you fuse a Persona, the game will take whatever social link the arcana matches with and give it a boatload of free experience. Usually at rank 1 for example, the Persona will level once immediately when it's fused. At rank 10, it can level up to 6 times max I think. So if you want to fuse a lv69 Surt of the Magician Arcana, and you are maxed rank with Yosuke(also of the magician arcana), the second you fuse it it'll level up to lv75 or so.

More than just the faster leveling to get the last abilities though, is the idea that you can only fuse a persona of your own level. HOWEVER, this does not factor in bonus exp from social links. In the above example, if the MC is lv69, you can fuse a Surt since it's base level is 69. If it goes up to lv75, there's still no problem, even if your MC can't use a lv75 persona normally. In this way, your main character can be above the strength curve for where everyone else is at.

All of them take roughly the same time to max, so long as you always tell them what they want to hear and you always have a persona on you of the matching arcana. If you're going out with Yosuke after school, make sure you have a persona of the Magician arcana on you so you'll get double the amount of points for any questions you answer on the visit.

In terms of what to focus on, in P4 as was said social links actually give the other character's personas new abilities, so focus on the party members you use first probably.

Nice!! Then S. Link is really important to get stronger in the game. Its much clear now.

Focuse on the social links you like or find interesting. Would preference the whole team before the rest of the social links though. Just have fun.

And yeah, as they have say, maxing the social link let's you fuse the ultimate persona of that arcana. Team members have more good things in the gameplay departments apart from that from levelling their social links. If you are going for platinum (cosidering you are playing golden) I would level the atributes of the main character first as that will stay in you second playthrough.
BTW any max social link you get during your first playthrough will give you an item that will transfer into your NG+ and will let you make that ultimate persona even without maxing the social link during the second playthrough.

Good to know about that items too!

Social Links add extra experience points when you fuse a persona of the corresponding arcana. Say you work on the Chariot social link, the higher the rank it is, the more experience points you'll get when you make a Chariot-arcana persona with that fusion bonus. Also, maxing a Social Link will grant you access to make an exclusive persona later on that you can't fuse without getting said link to maximum

Thanks everyone for the answars! You are awesome!
I believe I can focus specially in my party S. Links, its much more important then I could imagine. It was very helpful!

Basically, I was thinking about the weird implications by Narukami being the only person to get a girlfriend, then I realised that even if other party members had one, the player wouldn't necessarily know about it.
If Yosuke had gotten a girlfriend, you'd hear about it.

Doesnt the game already make them into little groups that make shipping semi canon?

-Yu X Rise
-Yosuke X Chie
-Kanji X Naoto

Even the
winter event in golden does this

I know they are not directñy saying that in the game, but they gave you clear hints of that would be happening if it were not for your meddling.
The anime makes Kanji and Naoto the only clear hints though. Yu is a fucker that doesnt choose anyone and Yosuke is still afected by Saki's death until the end.

Chie for my Yu all the way though.

I always thought the could bring interaction further by making team members interact by themeselves between them depending of what you chose. It's something ME3 does with your team members, and I felt it was great.
Like for example, making Naoto as a friend only will make in some events Kanji and Naoto have different interaction during that playthorugh, and maybe a different ending for them. Or like for example chosing Chie would make your team members aknowledge that relationship during some events, would feel more interconected with the main game. Just some examples of course.

I always thought he had some kind of chemistry with Chie... But going from that to actually dating? I don't know...

Its the same type of chemistry like Hermione and Ron type characters. If it were not for your meddling in the game, it would totally work out in fiction. In real life? Not so much.

Protag Weeks are done yo.

By Buddha0991

6m9TPLW.png

Aigis joins the Persona Stalker Club

By Buddha0991 2

An old drawing, but I felt like it fit for this!

By Silky

CKkqKp2.jpg

Yu is hard on himself because he doesn't have a toaster to stalk him.

By Arue 1

King Moron pitied those fools.

By Arue 2

2zqGdRT.jpg

Maya Amano doing the thing she does best, being 2Positive4me.

By Vox Chaotica

Vox, you solved the mystery in the teaser. The chair and the chain represent the male and female protagonists!

By CorvoSol

twdx3JX.jpg

Says the fools while Makoto runs around without any pants.

By Reanimatoin 1

ouzQBxD.jpg

This depicts Yu's future as a hobo living with Daxter Nanako.

By Reanimatoin 2

sUug10n.jpg

Yu was once just a mere soldier, but he began his training to become a Strange Journeyman.

By Ljrivarola

Everyone's favorite broken as hell Fool Persona!

By ShmeebAlina

The brave little toaster that could.

By Pan-Hime

1VUtUOj.png

She waits, patient, silent, calculating. She is waiting to strike and make her move....She is....NOT CANON-CHAN :p

By Bruce

Yu has seen some shit.

I have been thinking about how to proceed from here, so this is what I am gonna do. This next one will be a two week long one, it will go until Tuesday in two weeks from now. You can draw any character from the Persona series. You will draw them dressed as or acting like a character from any other game, movie, book, anime, or a real person, anything really. This next week, is COSPLAY WEEK. Bring it.

Who's going to be on the podcast on Friday night? I always wanted to come on, I just had to check my schedule (thought I had a class).

If everyone currently set to come on is dead set on doing so, I don't mind sitting this one out.

I think it's me, Levito, Shidoshi, Armada and Corvo as of right now. I'll gladly step aside if you wish to participate, though!

Meia

Doesnt the game already make them into little groups that make shipping semi canon?

-Yu X Rise
-Yosuke X Chie
-Kanji X Naoto

Even the
winter event in golden does this

I know they are not directñy saying that in the game, but they gave you clear hints of that would be happening if it were not for your meddling.
The anime makes Kanji and Naoto the only clear hints though. Yu is a fucker that doesnt choose anyone and Yosuke is still afected by Saki's death until the end.

Chie for my Yu all the way though.

I always thought the could bring interaction further by making team members interact by themeselves between them depending of what you chose. It's something ME3 does with your team members, and I felt it was great.
Like for example, making Naoto as a friend only will make in some events Kanji and Naoto have different interaction during that playthorugh, and maybe a different ending for them. Or like for example chosing Chie would make your team members aknowledge that relationship during some events, would feel more interconected with the main game. Just some examples of course.

Its the same type of chemistry like Hermione and Ron type characters. If it were not for your meddling in the game, it would totally work out in fiction. In real life? Not so much.

Yeah, they did the latter of this during two of the new scenes in Golden(where other party members actually acknowledge a relationship the MC has, in valentine's and the firework show).

I did love those scenes in ME. My femshep went with Liara, so it was neat before a final battle seeing Tali not where she normally is, but is where Garrus normally is, and it seems you walk in at a bad time. And the characters are cool about it and acknowledge it, with femshep saying she's happy for them. Again, biggest hope from social link change is NO MORE BUBBLES.

I have been thinking about how to proceed from here, so this is what I am gonna do. This next one will be a two week long one, it will go until Tuesday in two weeks from now. You can draw any character from the Persona series. You will draw them dressed as or acting like a character from any other game, movie, book, anime, or a real person, anything really. This next week, is COSPLAY WEEK. Bring it.

Thats cool making it two weeks, as Im out this one for holidays. I will try to do something next week though, so im in!
The idea is tons of fun.

Awesome stuff for fool week! (Y)

Believing that this week was Funky Student week I started on this, but I guess it still applies...maybe.

tumblr_n44oe0mwRY1t46pjso1_1280.png

Squire

Banned
I think it's me, Levito, Shidoshi, Armada and Corvo as of right now. I'll gladly step aside if you wish to participate, though!

Nah, you should stay on. You're hardly ever on and I already know we're of one mind on the topic, anyway.

It's looking like I'll just sit this one out.

That's how I kinda saw it too. I personally think the relationship part was definitely weak. Would like a P4 VN with routes for all characters please.

Not only persona 4, but is usually weak in any choice game where they try to do interaction between party members. The only one I thought did a great job was ME3 as I said. But yeah, Im with you, it was there but it was weak.

Yeah, they did the latter of this during two of the new scenes in Golden(where other party members actually acknowledge a relationship the MC has, in valentine's and the firework show).

I did love those scenes in ME. My femshep went with Liara, so it was neat before a final battle seeing Tali not where she normally is, but is where Garrus normally is, and it seems you walk in at a bad time. And the characters are cool about it and acknowledge it, with femshep saying she's happy for them. Again, biggest hope from social link change is NO MORE BUBBLES.

Ah yeah, but its only like a small line here and there and it's not very well done (I think the valentines one for Chie is Yosuke saying something about knwoing about you and her when she gives chocolate to the group and goes running outside, no?). At least they did something. I also think you can read a small dialogue between Chie and Yukiko in the dungeons if Chie is your girlfriend and both are not in the group. I suppose is the same for every girl.

And thank god someone besides me talks good about that part of the game. ME3 gets some slack, but I think they did great in that department an not enough people talk about it. My version was different Liara and Garrus scenes as Tali was my lover, they talk about that relationship with me and all that. It's even better if you had the iphone app as you get like little messages of them talking about this when you are in the street, is pretty awesome. I remember tali sending me a message while she was drunk telling me to talk with her in the bar. Good times.

And what do you mean about the bubbles in the social links?

Well if you're counting that then where does Marie fit in?

Oh yeah, forgot about her. Put her in the tsunadere version of Yu X Rise group. lol

arue

By CorvoSol

Says the fools while Makoto runs around without any pants.

This description is so funny that I actually imagine Makoto doing that LOL.

By Pan-Hime

She waits, patient, silent, calculating. She is waiting to strike and make her move....She is....NOT CANON-CHAN :p

2cute4me

More freedom this time eh? I need some time to decide for this one :p

Gazoinks

Good stuff! Love Pan's, Arue's, Shmeeb's, and everyone else's!

Might have to contribute my own art Lovecraftian monstrosity to this theme fortnight.

PK Gaming

A random thought that I had earlier:

When Narukami dates someone, the implicatiom is that the rest of the group is unaware of it. By that same logic, other party members (except Kanji, I guess) could be dating each other in the parts of the game that are implied rather than seen.

They are aware of it, though i'm pretty sure it's a new addition to Golden.

• Yosuke points it out during the pageant if the girl you favor happens to be your girlfriend.
  • When I had Yu dating Chie, I think I remember Yukiko being excited that you were in a relationship with her. I don't really remember the specifics (I think it was a phone call)
  • If you aren't dating Rise, she (and imagine the other girls) will berate you for flirting with her if spend some alone time with her during the ski trip event. She'll say something along the lines of "I think someone would be very unhappy if you said did that."
  • There's probably more stuff I missed.
As for your other point, I can't imagine anyone outside of Yu or Yosuke attempting to date someone within the group. Yosuke tries to ask Yukiko out during new years eve if you aren't dating her. (It naturally doesn't work out, lol)

They are aware of it, though i'm pretty sure it's a new addition to Golden.

• Yosuke points it out during the pageant if the girl you favor happens to be your girlfriend.
  • When I had Yu dating Chie, I think I remember Yukiko being excited that you were in a relationship with her. I don't really remember the specifics (I think it was a phone call)
  • If you aren't dating Rise, she (and imagine the other girls) will berate you for flirting with her if spend some alone time with her during the ski trip event. She'll say something along the lines of "I think someone would be very unhappy if you said did that."
As for your other point, I can't imagine anyone outside of Yu or Yosuke attempting to date someone within the group. Yosuke tries to ask Yukiko out during new years eve if you aren't dating her. (It naturally doesn't work out)

That's a good way of start implementing those things so social links feel more alive and part of the main game. I think they are starting to get the grasp of it with P4 vanilla (felling as real group of friends) and golden (dating) they just need a little step more. Of course I don't know how that will fit into the P5 theme.

And Kanji could clearly ask Naoto if the rest of the group helped him in that relationship, but the only thing he gets is laughs from Yosuke. Alone? probably not lol

Select one of six new characters — including Persona 3 favorites Yukari Takeba, Junpei Iori and Ken Amada, Persona 4 Arena NPC Rise Kujikawa and Sho Minazuki and his Persona-wielding doppelganger

From Best Buy's listing of P4A2, found thanks to Lemstar

rip

Lemstar

Marche90

Select one of six new characters — including Persona 3 favorites Yukari Takeba, Junpei Iori and Ken Amada, Persona 4 Arena NPC Rise Kujikawa and Sho Minazuki and his Persona-wielding doppelganger

From Best Buy's listing of P4A2, found thanks to Lemstar

rip

Wat

!!! Fuuuuuuu-

rise?

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Also my reaction

Also, gg, Best Buy, thanks for revealing this.

though 'Fan Favorite Ken Amada'? Ahahahaha, does not compute :lol

Andrefpvs

If that is true, I didn't want it spoiled for me :(

This thread is becoming more and more dangerous as the games' release dates draw closer. I'm considering taking a vacation until the games release in Europe.

See you in 2017, lol

Marche90

Anyway, if
Amada
is in P4A2, I hope they got
him a new voice actor
How old would he be anyway?

Considering the last time this came up I was asking this question myself, I turned to the Megaten Wiki to answer this for the two of us:
during FES, so
years, most likely

Top Bottom