• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

July/August seems like a pretty reasonable date for the Japanese release. The original wasn't quite a simultaneous release either.

July would be my guess, but we still need to know for sure, if we're going to be taking the Best Buy thing as accurate. I was willing to import the JPN version of P4A even though there were only two weeks separating it from the NA release (I imported it anyways, though).

Squire

Banned
Yep, seems like P4U2 things are actually coming together and that I was right; Famitsu will have something to say about PQ and, more importantly, P4U2 next week.

Can't find the image on the P4U2 site right now, but here:

o8ySnUA.jpg

Says to pay attention to the main site and to Famitsu because a big update will be incoming on the 24th of April.

So:

- New P4U2 version announced on March 29
- Persona Stalker Club P4U2 tease on April 11 for the April 25
- The supposed Best Buy description leak
- Famitsu news + update happening on April 24

Seems like the P4U2 media cycle will be happening in April after all.

Atlus USA should be talking this month as well if not very soon after. That's unexpected as is that September 16 release date.

Caladrius

Yep, seems like P4U2 things are actually coming together and that I was right; Famitsu will have something to say about PQ and, more importantly, P4U2 next week.

Can't find the image on the P4U2 site right now, but here:

o8ySnUA.jpg

Says to pay attention to the main site and to Famitsu because a big update will be incoming on the 24th of April.

So:

- New P4U2 version announced on March 29
- Persona Stalker Club P4U2 tease on April 11 for the April 25
- The supposed Best Buy description leak
- Famitsu news + update happening on April 24

Seems like the P4U2 media cycle will be happening in April after all.

Persona Q's reign of terror will soon be over.

Huzzah!

PK Gaming

Hypothetical P4U Rise moveset

P4A_Rise_Render.png

Code:
[U]Normal Attacks[/U]
5A: A forward kick
5AA: Rise delivers a vertical whack to the opponent with her megaphone
5AAA: Rise grabs a microphone stand and swings it forwards
2A: A crouching kick 
5B: Rise yells in her megaphone and creates a speech bubble effect (similar to Kanji's 5B)
2B: Rise grabs a microphone stand and swings it upwards
5C: A forward thrust with Himiko
5D(weakness scan): Himiko spawns a projectile that creates a weak point on the opponent on hit. Once an opponent has their weakness exposed, some of Rise's attacks will have new properties (Such as fatal counter, crumple, etc. Similar to Azrael from BlazBlue)
j.A: Rise quickly takes out her microphone and thrusts it forward
j.B: Rise swings a microphone stand at a 45 degree angle
j.C: Same as the ground version.
j.D: Same as the ground version. Projectile spawns at a 45 degree angle.
Reversal: Himiko creates a protective barrier around Rise. Deals low damage and knocks the opponent back. 

[U]Skills[/U]
Risette♥Special: Rise sings into her microphone, causing musical notes to appear that knock the opponent upwards.
Third Eye: Summons spherical eye on a field that acts like a bomb. Can be manually detonated. Automatically explodes when the opponent comes in contact with it. 
Mind Slice: Himiko fires a beam of light that dissipates after a certain point. (Air OK)

[U]SP Skills [/U]
Full Analysis: Himiko scans the opponent and creates a weakpoint. Lasts for 20 seconds. (Deals low damage)
Relaxing Wave: Rise's healthy slowly starts to regen (ala Junpei's Victory Cry). The effect is cancelled when Rise is hit.

[U]Awakening Skill[/U]
Supreme Insight. Opponents that are inflicted with a weakpoint cannot deal damage. (They can still hit her, but her lifebar will not go down). Lasts for 10 seconds.

Instant Kill: The All Out Attack from Persona 4: Golden! If the opponent happens to be P4 character, they will be omitted from the All Out Attack.

I drew from her natural skillset in P4, the P4G additions and even her Shadow.

Squire

Banned
You really think the September 16th release date is that unexpected?

I do, yeah. When atlisprime hinted that they were trying not to region lock the game again I was certain the compromise would be that the US version was released months after the JP release to discourage the Japanese player base from importing the game as much as possible. September is far sooner than I expected. I was thinking November. Mid-October at the earliest.

Sophia

I do, yeah. When atlisprime hinted that they were trying not to region lock the game again I was certain the compromise would be that the US version was released months after the JP release to discourage the Japanese player base from importing the game as much as possible. September is far sooner than I expected. I was thinking November. Mid-October at the earliest.

If the Japanese release date is in July, then that puts a pretty decent two months between the releases. There are also other options available too, like only region locking to/from Japan.

FluxWaveZ

I suppose you thought/think two months would still cause them to have an issue with the potential of reverse importing?

I was thinking August at the earliest, with September being likely.

Squire

Banned
If the Japanese release date is in July, then that puts a pretty decent two months between the releases. There are also other options available too, like only region locking to/from Japan.

True. Whatever they do though, someone on GAF will be sure to bitch and moan about it for months as they swear off all Atlus games.

November seems way too far off if you ask me, September was what I was guessing they were gonna release the game over here, since it's not too far off form JP release( if were going by a July/August release) but spread out far enough for JP sales.
I think ATLUS USA wants the window to be small as possible, so that they don't have to deal with that issue. But also have the online not be unbalanced in terms of player-base because Japan got a large head start on it.

Squire

Banned
I suppose you thought/think two months would still cause them to have an issue with the potential of reverse importing?

I was thinking August at the earliest, with September being likely.

Yeah. 'Cause if it was me, I'd wait out those two months and get it cheaper. By the same token, you guys that are going to import it from Japan? That doesn't even compute for me.

Two months is nothing. I have too much to take care of and too many other ways to distract myself to not just wait.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah. 'Cause if it was me, I'd wait out those two months and get it cheaper. By the same token, you guys that are going to import it from Japan? That doesn't even compute for me.

Two months is nothing. I have too much to take care of and too many other ways to distract myself to not just wait.

October/November would be way too late. When would Persona Q come out in that situation, given the implication that it is to be released after P4AU?

Importing is no biggie at all. Like I said, I imported the first game despite only two weeks of delay between the JPN and NA versions, when it was still nebulous whether it was actually region locked or not. I was even contemplating importing a JPN PS3 just so I could play P4A. There's no way I wouldn't import the JPN version of P4AU if it isn't region locked; I'll of course buy the NA version on day 1 as well.

Famitsu's all: "We've finally got Persona scoops!"

That theoretical Rise Instant Kill sounds awesome, PK

Also, it would be neat if Shadow Rise was labeled as Risette instead of just Shadow Rise

Man now I'm more hype for P4A2, but mostly cause of all dat SALT

PK Gaming

My reason for importing:

I'm an impatient dude and I mostly want to get a leg up on the competition. I'd also like to contribute to the P4U wiki.

Squire

Banned
October/November would be way too late. When would Persona Q come out in that situation, given the implication that it is to be released after P4AU?

Importing is no biggie at all. Like I said, I imported the first game despite only two weeks of delay between the JPN and NA versions, when it was still nebulous whether it was actually region locked or not. I was even contemplating importing a JPN PS3 just so I could play P4A. There's no way I wouldn't import the JPN version of P4AU if it isn't region locked; I'll of course buy the NA version on day 1 as well.

I guess I see your point about PQ, but to a certain extent, given the difference in platform and genre I don't think those games releasing very close together is out of the question. Although I'm not sure Atlus would have the muscle to do that, I admit.

My reason for importing:

I'm an impatient dude and I mostly want to get a leg up on the competition. I'd also like to contribute to the P4U wiki.

Oh sure. I mean, if you're importing it more power to you. I look forward to reading your impressions in this thread and/or an import thread if there is one. But for me, if the gap in localization is any shorter than three months, importing strikes me as more frivolous than frugal. I don't disrespect it, but it's not a move I see myself making.

That page gives me a 403 forbidden.

Xenoflare

P4A_Rise_Render.png

Code:
[U]Normal Attacks[/U]
5B: Rise yells in her megaphone and creates a speech bubble effect (similar to Kanji's 5B)
5D(weakness scan): Himiko spawns a projectile that creates a weak point on the opponent on hit. Once an opponent has their weakness exposed, some of Rise's attacks will have new properties (Such as fatal counter, crumple, etc. Similar to Azrael from BlazBlue)
Reversal: Himiko creates a protective barrier around Rise. Deals low damage and knocks the opponent back. 

[U]Skills[/U]
Risette♥Special: Rise sings into her microphone, causing musical notes to appear that knock the opponent upwards.
Third Eye: Summons spherical eye on a field that acts like a bomb. Can be manually detonated. Automatically explodes when the opponent comes in contact with it. 
Mind Slice: Himiko fires a beam of light that dissipates after a certain point. (Air OK)

[U]SP Skills [/U]
Full Analysis: Himiko scans the opponent and creates a weakpoint. Lasts for 20 seconds. (Deals low damage)
Relaxing Wave: Rise's healthy slowly starts to regen (ala Junpei's Victory Cry). The effect is cancelled when Rise is hit.

[U]Awakening Skill[/U]
Supreme Insight. Opponents that are inflicted with a weakpoint cannot deal damage. (They can still hit her, but her lifebar will not go down). Lasts for 20 seconds.

Instant Kill: The All Out Attack from Persona 4: Golden! If the opponent happens to be P4 character, they will be omitted from the All Out Attack.

For some strange reason after looking at this I think it's quite reasonable. In fact, I think she might fight like I-NO in Guilty Gear.

Moonlight

Banned

P4A_Rise_Render.png

Code:
[U]Normal Attacks[/U]

[U]Skills[/U]

[U]SP Skills [/U]

[U]Awakening Skill[/U]
Supreme Insight. Opponents that are inflicted with a weakpoint cannot deal damage. (They can still hit her, but her lifebar will not go down). Lasts for 20 seconds.

This looks pretty damn solid! I think exaggerating the 'analysis' aspect of her character is really the way to go with converting Rise to a fighting game character. Supreme Insight seems like its' rife with potential for timer scams though, haha. I think I'm imagining Rise setting her opponents up with 'weakpoints' that debuff them (or probably buff the amount of damage she can do to them) that they can dispel by landing hits on her. Like the opposite of Junpei, sort of, haha.

Kssio_Aug

Yay! I were finnaly able to finish that bathhouse dungeon in one run. But dude... that took long!!

Also I thought
Shadow Kanji
the hardest boss until now. I beated it at level 22 with every character, but it took long to win the battle and had to use some support items to revive and recharge health.

Or I am doing something wrong, or Persona 4 is one of the hardest JRPGs I ever played (and I've played plenty already). Im probably taking at about 4~5 hours each dungeon at Normal difficulty, besides I finished until now in only one run each.

PK Gaming

Awesome job, man. I can actually see a lot of those happening.

For some strange reason after looking at this I think it's quite reasonable. In fact, I think she might fight like I-NO in Guilty Gear.

This looks pretty damn solid! I think exaggerating the 'analysis' aspect of her character is really the way to go with converting Rise to a fighting game character. Supreme Insight seems like its' rife with potential for timer scams though, haha. I think I'm imagining Rise setting her opponents up with 'weakpoints' that debuff them (or probably buff the amount of damage she can do to them) that they can dispel by landing hits on her. Like the opposite of Junpei, sort of, haha.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback

Re: Supreme Insight

You definitely have a point there. I think I may have made it a fundamentally flawed super in that it doesn't aid the attacker whatsoever, and it only benefits players who are taking damage. So a good player won't use it, and a bad player will use it as a crutch. Perhaps it can be changed to something along the lines of:

-A buff super that causes all inflicted counterhits to become fatal counters. Lasts for 10-15 seconds.

OR

-All normal hits now cause weak point. Lasts for 10-15 seconds.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback

Re: Supreme Insight

You definitely have a point there. I think I may have made it a fundamentally flawed super in that it doesn't aid the attacker whatsoever, and it only benefits players who are taking damage. So a good player won't use it, and a bad player will use it as a crutch. Perhaps it can be changed to something along the lines of:

-A buff super that causes all inflicted counterhits to become fatal counters. Lasts for 10-15 seconds.

OR

-All normal hits now cause weak point. Lasts for 10-15 seconds.

Give her Ziodyne and say that Narukami taught her how to use it.

Works every time.

Xenoflare

Yay! I were finnaly able to finish that bathhouse dungeon in one run. But dude... that took long!!

Also I thought
Shadow Kanji
the hardest boss until now. I beated it at level 22 with every character, but it took long to win the battle and had to use some support items to revive and recharge health.

Or I am doing something wrong, or Persona 4 is one of the hardest JRPGs I ever played (and I've played plenty already). Im probably taking at about 4~5 hours each dungeon at Normal difficulty, besides I finished until now in only one run each.

Nothing in P4 beats
MARIN KARIN

I'm sorry if you already mentioned this but are you playing vanilla P4 right? I remember watching giant bomb's endurance run and I remember it was long and tedious, I was very surprised on how P4G made the fight easier by
Adding weaknesses to Tough/Nice guy

Kssio_Aug

Nothing in P4 beats
MARIN KARIN

I'm sorry if you already mentioned this but are you playing vanilla P4 right? I remember watching giant bomb's endurance run and I remember it was long and tedious, I was very surprised on how P4G made the fight easier by
Adding weaknesses to Tough/Nice guy

No, I'm playing Golden; at Normal difficulty! LOL
Feeling even more noob now! T-T

But its my 1st time playing any Persona game tbh. Maybe thats because of it, the game mechanics is a lot more chllengening then the majority of the others JRPGs, where you can freely level up and restore health without need to worry with anything.

When I enter the dungeon I level up killing while going up in the floors, until find a floor that give me nice exp but its not that hard to kill all enemies... then I keep killing stuff there till my SP starts getting low, and use some items (like TaP Soda) to keep it up. When I reach a considerable level I make it through the boss. It seems to be taking like 4 hours per dungeon.

Xenoflare

But its my 1st time playing any Persona game tbh. Maybe thats because of it, the game mechanics is a lot more chllengening then the majority of the others JRPGs, where you can freely level up and restore health without need to worry with anything.

When I enter the dungeon I level up killing while going up in the floors, until find a floor that give me nice exp but its not that hard to kill all enemies... then I keep killing stuff there till my SP starts getting low, and use some items (like TaP Soda) to keep it up. When I reach a considerable level I make it through the boos. It seems to be taking like 4 hours per dungeon.

Yeah, I started Persona with P3P, and I do find P4G to be a lot easier in a lot of aspects, but that is not a bad thing. Leveling up in P3P is a lot more tedious than P4G. It's very evident because I tried to get back to it after playing golden and the experience points I receive from battles are just sad.

I never played vanilla P4, but from the list of changes, I can see how golden is easier. Gold hands are everywhere. Skill sets of party members are more well rounded too.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I started Persona with P3P, and I do find P4G to be a lot easier in a lot of aspects, but that is not a bad thing. Leveling up in P3P is a lot more tedious than P4G. It's very evident because I tried to get back to it after playing golden and the experience points I receive from battles are just sad.

I never played vanilla P4, but from the list of changes, I can see how golden is easier. Gold hands are everywhere. Skill sets of party members are more well rounded too.

I always have a hard time against any kind of those hands! lol
Heard that they're good to grind some exp, but actually im avoidinng them more then they avoid me. I believe it may have some trick.

I am 21 hours through the game already. I believe I am taking much longer then the usual... I have to figure it out.

Xenoflare

I always have a hard time against any kind of those hands! lol
Heard that they're good to grind some exp, but actually im avoidinng them more then they avoid me. I believe it may have some trick.

I am 21 hours through the game already. I believe I am taking much longer then the usual... I have to figure it out.

Gold hands from early dungeons can be effectively killed using items like ice cubes or firecrackers. Early gold hands are only resistant to elemental attacks, attack items will do the same amount of damage no matter what unless the enemy drains or nulls the element you are using.

Megido (Almighty skills) are the best gold hand killing skills as they bybass any resistances. Although they aren't available until at least midgame.

21 hours after
Kanji's dungeon
is a bit long though. I think I was at 10 hours or so the first time I got there.

Jinto

When I enter the dungeon I level up killing while going up in the floors, until find a floor that give me nice exp but its not that hard to kill all enemies... then I keep killing stuff there till my SP starts getting low, and use some items (like TaP Soda) to keep it up. When I reach a considerable level I make it through the boss. It seems to be taking like 4 hours per dungeon.

Yeah, lack of SP early on makes the game more difficult. It gets easier later on though. Gardening some tomatoes helps. They restore like 20 SP each. Another trick I used was to equip a persona with invigorate, go back to Yukiko's castle, and keep guarding until you replenish your SP. The first Persona I used for that was Sarasvati. Check all the treasure chests in the castle for snuff souls, since you're there already. It's a little time consuming, but makes things a whole lot easier.

CorvoSol

So Yukiko's story mode in P4A questions:

This ending isn't canon, is it? Or did I get a bad ending? I mean her story mode was only 9 chapters, explained jack shit, and ended in a comedic scene of agony as she lost her mind and forced everyone to eat her food. Did I mess up somewhere or is that it?

hao chi

This ending isn't canon, is it? Or did I get a bad ending? I mean her story mode was only 9 chapters, explained jack shit, and ended in a comedic scene of agony as she lost her mind and forced everyone to eat her food. Did I mess up somewhere or is that it?

Arc Sys, bro. You got a joke ending.

FluxWaveZ

Joke ending based on decision you made at some point. Canon within P4A doesn't matter because the stories contradict each other anyways.

Top Bottom