• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Actually, I also enjoyed how Akihiko and Mitsuru (I can't remember if this happened with Aigis)
instantly know that their "shadow" is fake. It's a nice touch showing how much they've grown since P3.
Unfortunately, this ends up making the P4 characters look really awful in comparison, implying that
they haven't grown that much and their insecurities/issues have a major hold over them.

Well that kind of falls in line with the veteran/newbie dynamic they were going for

Seda

Hi PersonaGAF.

Next week I am going on a conference trip, and in my free time I wanted to tackle my backlog. So I decided I'm finally to get around to Persona 1 PSP (eventually followed by the two Persona 2s of course as well). I don't really know anything about the game, other than it's quite different from Persona 3/4.

So basically I am asking for any advice or tips before I get started. I have played SMT3/SJ/4 if it's anything like those. Thanks.

CorvoSol

Hi PersonaGAF.

Next week I am going on a conference trip, and in my free time I wanted to tackle my backlog. So I decided I'm finally to get around to Persona 1 PSP (eventually followed by the two Persona 2s of course as well). I don't really know anything about the game, other than it's quite different from Persona 3/4.

So basically I am asking for any advice or tips before I get started. I have played SMT3/SJ/4 if it's anything like those. Thanks.

Personae that I have found helpful in P1:

Phaleg. Gozu Tennou. Illuyanka. The first learns Mediarama and the latter two learn Megidola. Rockin' those three most of the game now.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, Shadows have been buffed pretty good:
Shadow:
- Maximum health of the Shadow characters has been increased a lot
- Awakened SP Skills can now be used with the cost of 50 SP
- During Shadow Berserk, the cost for One More Cancel and Guard Cancel has been halved
- If Shadow Berserk is activated from a standing position, the opponent can now move during that time but your character is now completely invincible during the activation animation
- Works the same old way if you use the Berserk to cancel something
Just as keikaku.

Well that kind of falls in line with the veteran/newbie dynamic they were going for

Yea, but by the end of P4 they should have enough confidence in themselves to recognize that something like that is fake. Or at least not immediately think that its their fault that the fighting is happening in the first place.

I guess the fact that their own Persona's aren't "evolved" could call into question the canonicity of their S. Links (and the "resolve" they gained from them). That seems like a really strange way to do things though since those are like 80% of the characters' development.

Yea, but by the end of P4 they should have enough confidence in themselves to recognize that something like that is fake. Or at least not immediately think that its their fault that the fighting is happening in the first place.

I guess the fact that their own Persona's aren't "evolved" could call into question the canonicity of their S. Links (and the "resolve" they gained from them). That seems like a really strange way to do things though since those are like 80% of the characters' development.

But they also mention things that happen at the end of slinks, like
Chie wanting to be a cop.

FluxWaveZ

Naoto's pretty levelheaded about it, at least.

PK Gaming

I don't read these words.

I can't use Chrome's translate on that, dammit.

Awesome, though it doesn't help that I don't know a lick of Japanese. so it's all just a bunch of random symbols to me.

This is all you need to know:

tumblr_n0sn5p1Dln1rm4wgqo7_250.gif

But they also mention things that happen at the end of slinks, like
Chie wanting to be a cop.

I was trying to come up with a comparison to a P3 character to illustrate my point about how the cast of P4 should have grown enough to conquer those issues (ie. I'm pretty sure Junpei would agree if his Shadow called him out on his problems post P3) and noticed that. I agree that my suggestion doesn't really work.

It's probably just poor writing, since it felt like they had no idea what to do with Yosuke, Chie, or Yukiko in the first place.

Zebetite

Banned
First off, I really don't see the problem with the story being more about the Persona 3 cast than the Persona 4 cast. Why should it matter if there is a "4" in the game's title? It's irrelevant and probably for marketing purposes; it's like being very irritated that the P4 cast don't have their evolved Personas while the P3 cast do.

And you're talking about Akihiko and Mitsuru? Because, yeah, I don't have a problem with their redesigns. I've explained fully why I like Akihiko's design here. There is nothing tonally inconsistent with how they have chosen to live their lives given the events of P3, in fact I would say it makes perfect sense. I don't understand where you get "makes it feel like Persona 3 never happened" from at all.

The only context on "how they have chosen to live their lives given the events of P3" comes from Persona 4 Arena. Persona 3's ending as I see it is about
learning to move on and finding reasons to do so, not letting death haunt you, enjoying life while you can.
Akihiko's whole "I GOTTA GET STRONGER" bit is a response to
the deaths of Miki and Shinji, essentially penance for being too weak to protect them
and you'd think that if he learned his lesson from Persona 3 he'd maybe move on, stop letting them haunt him, and start finding better things to do with his time than "roam the world in harsh environments to become stronger."

Likewise, Mitsuru's bit in Persona 3 was wanting to, in a sense,
atone for the sins of her grandfather by erasing his horrible mistake (Tartarus and the shadows). Tartarus and the Dark Hour are gone, and we have no reason to believe the Kirijo Group's mad science experiments had anything to do with the events of Persona 4, so why do the Shadow Operatives exist? Are there still Shadows around? If so, what did they even accomplish by eliminating Tartarus and the Dark Hour? Why is it Mitsuru's responsibility to deal with them? It seemed like all this stuff was over and done with at the end of Persona 3 and now it isn't. That's why it sometimes feels like P3 never happened at all.

It's a fighting game, not an RPG. The story obviously wouldn't be conveyed the same way that the main Persona games have, and neither should they be compared that way.

That doesn't change the fact that I think a lot of the writing isn't very good. Like, just the general quality (or lack thereof) of the prose (particularly in the interior monologues) bugs me, and there's an awful lot of it to read considering how little I care. A random example culled from Chie's story: "Everyone stands up excitedly, ready to show that we're all prepared." That sentence is just ugly. Try reading it out loud! That's just me, though.

None of what you're implying here actually happens or has happened and it seems that you're going off of an assumption.

They are assumptions, yes. But are you saying that those aren't at least suggested or implied possibilities within Elizabeth's story mode? If they aren't, what's the point of that entire subplot about
rescuing Makoto and receiving the Fool Arcana/beginning her Fool's Journey
? That's kind of what I was alluding to when I said the game is crazy unfocused. Either that stuff means something and will lead somewhere that isn't too far off from what I typed in those spoilers and that's super lame, or it means absolutely nothing and it's just random fluff they threw in to arbitrarily flesh out a character's story mode and it's dumb anyways.

Yukiko, one of the academically smartest people in the cast and who tends to be sensitive concerning other people's feelings? And Kanji isn't an absolute idiot, ever. He wouldn't be running around, thinking it's all a dream under normal circumstances; it was just played up for the sake of comedy.

You can be academically smart and still be a bit of an airhead. Yukiko sure seems that way sometimes. Remember that time "Strange Student" (you know who) was getting all creepy on her and all the kids started talking about how impossible the Amagi Challenge is and it's completely obvious to everyone in a thirty foot radius that he's asking Yukiko out on a date, and Chie still has to straight-up inform her that's what just happened?

As for Kanji, that's my point: If the entire story mode is going to be impossible for me to take seriously, then I'm not going to get too bothered about an individual story that refuses to take even itself seriously. It just means we're on the same page. In a perfect world we'd get a rad Kanji Story Mode that does absolute justice to his character and contributes to it meaningfully but a majority of the cast don't get that much, so it seems silly to expect it. It sucks to see Kanji reduced to a punchline, but at least if Kanji's story mode is going to be a poor reflection of Kanji as we know him, they're going to try to elicit some laughs. All of the other stories are poor reflections of their characters seemingly just for the fuck of it. At least as I see it.

I know it's your opinion and all, and I certainly agree with you on certain points, but I honestly can't abide by "well the narrative is mediocre, so I might as well accept any glaring inconsistencies in characterization" school of thought.

I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of "accepting" glaring inconsistencies in characterization. Kanji's story is bad, too. They're all varying degrees of bad. My original post was a tiny-bit-facetious and mostly just trying to sound all clever by turning the phrase that I did-- the whole story mode is a joke anyways so at least one of them tries to be funny etc etc-- but I didn't mean to suggest I "accept" Kanji's story mode. I just don't think it stands out as being particularly bad. Every story is all part of a great big sea of mediocrity, each with their own glaring flaws. Singling Kanji's out as some sort of monumental achievement in badness upsells the rest of the package way too much for me, and it didn't seem like anybody else was gonna say it!

Dantis

That doesn't change the fact that I think a lot of the writing isn't very good. Like, just the general quality (or lack thereof) of the prose (particularly in the interior monologues) bugs me, and there's an awful lot of it to read considering how little I care. A random example culled from Chie's story: "Everyone stands up excitedly, ready to show that we're all prepared." That sentence is just ugly. Try reading it out loud! That's just me, though.

Holy shit, haha!

I agree with most of what you say. I didn't like Arena's story mode at all. To me, it felt shallow and bloated, and closer to fan fiction than a Persona 4 sequel (which is how it was advertised).

On the other hand, I do really like that it is entirely inconsequential in the scheme of things, because it means that fans can choose to ignore it if they are so inclined.

CorvoSol

I don't mind P4A's plot so far in some ways, but one thing I do find kinda not really meshing is that everybody's internal voice sounds the same for some reason. Like, I dunno. So far I've just done Yu, Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie and Kanji and the only one who hasn't had pretty much the exact same thought patterns as the rest of the gang is Kanji, and that's because Kanji smoked a TON of weed and spent the first half of the P-1 Grand Prix completely stoned.

Dantis

I don't mind P4A's plot so far in some ways, but one thing I do find kinda not really meshing is that everybody's internal voice sounds the same for some reason. Like, I dunno. So far I've just done Yu, Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie and Kanji and the only one who hasn't had pretty much the exact same thought patterns as the rest of the gang is Kanji, and that's because Kanji smoked a TON of weed and spent the first half of the P-1 Grand Prix completely stoned.

I thought the internal monologues were just a complete waste of time that were there to fill some space anyway. Removing them (or significantly cutting them down) would have actually improved the story mode somewhat, I feel.

Jintor

i agree 100%. the prose is very reminscent of typical first-person narrator translated experiences. i don't know if that's just translation convention or that's how japanese people write. I follow the Woolsey method, so I'd have just gotten rid of most of that...

CorvoSol

I thought the internal monologues were just a complete waste of time that were there to fill some space anyway. Removing them (or significantly cutting them down) would have actually improved the story mode somewhat, I feel.

I thought the internal monologue worked for Yu, since he's supposed to be a somewhat quiet, thinkin' kinda guy or whatever, but for everyone else I agree. A lot of story mode has felt like bloat so far, especially since the story modes, rather than provide a unique look of "what was Chie doing while Yu was solving this case?" have instead sort of deteriorated into "Enjoy seeing what the case would be like if Chie solved it instead!"

On the other hand, it's all so inoffensive that I don't mind it terribly, either. By the end of the game I expect I'll be fully lost, though. Hopefully at least Elizabeth mode's monologues will be entertaining.

Squire

Banned
Space Dandy was nice to look at but I didn't really find every episode all that funny so I kinda put it away.

The humor just felt like LCD crap to me. I stuck with it for about five episodes, but I was busy one weekend and missed one and never looked back.

It put a bad taste in my mouth to start with, with that T&A bullshit in the first episode.

Kinda the same with KLK for me. Maybe loving TTGL kinda messed with my expectations.

I like KLK a lot, but I'm just going to wait for them to dub it, 'cause I've come to the realization it just moves way too fast for me to watch it with subs. And I'm looking forward to that. If they follow the subs Aniplex put in themselves, they already have a fantastic script, from what I've seen.

I tried TTGL again recently. Goddamn that show is obnoxious. Gonna try to finish it after this Fate binge though.

PK Gaming

I don't know that it's necessarily a matter of "accepting" glaring inconsistencies in characterization. Kanji's story is bad, too. They're all varying degrees of bad. My original post was a tiny-bit-facetious and mostly just trying to sound all clever by turning the phrase that I did-- the whole story mode is a joke anyways so at least one of them tries to be funny etc etc-- but I didn't mean to suggest I "accept" Kanji's story mode. I just don't think it stands out as being particularly bad. Every story is all part of a great big sea of mediocrity, each with their own glaring flaws. Singling Kanji's out as some sort of monumental achievement in badness upsells the rest of the package way too much for me, and it didn't seem like anybody else was gonna say it!
I genuinely thought the individual story modes (with the exception of Kanji and Yukiko) were fairly decent for the most part.

To each his own, I suppose.

Dantis

I thought the internal monologue worked for Yu, since he's supposed to be a somewhat quiet, thinkin' kinda guy or whatever, but for everyone else I agree. A lot of story mode has felt like bloat so far, especially since the story modes, rather than provide a unique look of "what was Chie doing while Yu was solving this case?" have instead sort of deteriorated into "Enjoy seeing what the case would be like if Chie solved it instead!"

On the other hand, it's all so inoffensive that I don't mind it terribly, either. By the end of the game I expect I'll be fully lost, though. Hopefully at least Elizabeth mode's monologues will be entertaining.

This is pretty much what I meant a few posts back. On release I was really angry about how it was, but now I'm fine with it. Like you say, it's inoffensive.

fertygo

The humor just felt like LCD crap to me. I stuck with it for about five episodes, but I was busy one weekend and missed one and never looked back.

It put a bad taste in my mouth to start with, with that T&A bullshit in the first episode.

Last four eps of Dandy was really, really good, you should check on that especially eps 13.

Squire

Banned
I genuinely thought the individual story modes (with the exception of Kanji and Yukiko) were fairly decent for the most part.

I think a lot of people just expect too much from what is ultimately a fighting game first and foremost.

People Atlus does the story and supervises the project and let their expectations get out of hand. They're not trying to deliver a new story that's as thematic and moving and compelling as P4 (or P3), they're just making the game is faithful.

This is pretty much what I meant a few posts back. On release I was really angry about how it was, but now I'm fine with it. Like you say, it's inoffensive.

I've been telling you this for ages. You used to be soooooo butthurt.

CorvoSol

Starting to warm up to Labrys, though. Especially since she's become the emotional attachment replacement for FeMC at the moment. And I do like that Chie actively makes fun of Akihiko's cape.

Starting to warm up to Labrys, though. Especially since she's become the emotional attachment replacement for FeMC at the moment. And I do like that Chie actively makes fun of Akihiko's cape.

Actually she totally wants a cape.

I think a lot of people just expect too much from what is ultimately a fighting game first and foremost.

People Atlus does the story and supervises the project and let their expectations get out of hand. They're not trying to deliver a new story that's as thematic and moving and compelling as P4 (or P3), they're just making the game is faithful.

I've been telling you this for ages. You used to be soooooo butthurt.

I do like the story, but I guess people were really expecting P4-2 from this I guess.

Jintor

Dandy gets a lot better after... I dunno, episode 6 or so.

It's definitely an animation priority kinda show though

FluxWaveZ

Akihiko's whole "I GOTTA GET STRONGER" bit is a response to
the deaths of Miki and Shinji, essentially penance for being too weak to protect them
and you'd think that if he learned his lesson from Persona 3 he'd maybe move on, stop letting them haunt him, and start finding better things to do with his time than "roam the world in harsh environments to become stronger."

That's not how I see it. The end of Persona 3 was also about
a nascent desire from the P3 team to restore hope in humanity, so as to lift the burden P3MC carries by blocking Erebus.
This is represented through each of the P3 characters' chosen paths in P4A and how their occupations each directly serve to further that goal. Akihiko's quest for power was reckless and was a way to compensate for his own perceived weakness in P3, which he learns to resolve. However, like his story in P4A indicates, he has turned that resolve into wanting to become stronger no longer in an effort to cling to the past, but in an effort to protect the weak as well as he can, turning his goal into a healthy desire to gain power.

Likewise, Mitsuru's bit in Persona 3 was wanting to, in a sense,
atone for the sins of her grandfather by erasing his horrible mistake (Tartarus and the shadows). Tartarus and the Dark Hour are gone, and we have no reason to believe the Kirijo Group's mad science experiments had anything to do with the events of Persona 4, so why do the Shadow Operatives exist? Are there still Shadows around? If so, what did they even accomplish by eliminating Tartarus and the Dark Hour? Why is it Mitsuru's responsibility to deal with them? It seemed like all this stuff was over and done with at the end of Persona 3 and now it isn't. That's why it sometimes feels like P3 never happened at all.

Huh? Of course there are still Shadows in the world at the end of P3. What are the main enemies in Persona 4? The P3 world isn't happening in a bubble; their task might have been complete, but the Persona world extends beyond that. Did you not play Mitsuru's story mode in P4A, where the whole aspect of the Shadow Ops' origin is touched upon? What do you think the conflict in P3 entailed?
The whole ending was about how as long as humans have hopelessness, Shadows will continue to exist and the risk of Nyx bringing about the end of the world is present. Thus, P3MC's sacrifice.

It's Mitsuru's responsibility because she's the head of the Kirijo Group and, as a result, the Shadow Operatives.
Labrys and Sho are products of the Kirijo Group, tying into her desire of wiping away the sins of her family.

They are assumptions, yes. But are you saying that those aren't at least suggested or implied possibilities within Elizabeth's story mode? If they aren't, what's the point of that entire subplot about
rescuing Makoto and receiving the Fool Arcana/beginning her Fool's Journey
? That's kind of what I was alluding to when I said the game is crazy unfocused. Either that stuff means something and will lead somewhere that isn't too far off from what I typed in those spoilers and that's super lame, or it means absolutely nothing and it's just random fluff they threw in to arbitrarily flesh out a character's story mode and it's dumb anyways.

Or the possibilities you're thinking of aren't what that scene is actually setting up? Again, you're basing this off of assumptions of where you think the scene might be building towards, but that might not be where they plan to take it. I don't disagree that the P4A story is unfocused because it is—very much so—but this isn't an example of it. It is a cliffhanger. They are used to set up future story development, and that is all. It's useless to say that it's unfocused or not on that point when we don't even know what the cliffhanger is actually leading towards.

What the cliffhanger entails could be very far off from what you typed.

Confirmation from ASW about patch update

Japanese
【重要】好評稼働中の2D対戦格闘ゲーム『ペルソナ4 ジ・アルティマックス ウルトラスープレックスホールド』が2014 年4月25日よりバージョンアップ(Ver1.10)されます。また、新モードも追加予定! 詳しくはコチラ http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/p4u2/ #P4U2
English
Popular 2D fighting game "Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold" on April 25, 2014 will have new version up (Ver1.10). In addition, a planned new mode to be added! Click here for details
I change around some things to make it a bit more clear since there was butchering in the translation when using Google Translator.
There is some guessing as to what it's saying I'm no expert on Japanese so it's up to your own interpretation on the new mode thing.

iavi

The only story modes I really found interesting were Elizabeth's, Naoto's, and Mitsuru's. Naoto's and Mitsuru's cool because they logically tied two casts together, and Elizabeth's awesome because she was just stormrolling shit. It's all kind of fan-fictiony though.

Squire

Banned
I do like the story, but I guess people were really expecting P4-2 from this I guess.

I think it just comes down to people taking it too seriously. Getting too caught up in what's canon, what isn't, yadayadayada.

David Hayter tweeted maybe an hour ago to "remember it's all in good fun". Boy, are those words to live by.

Dandy gets a lot better after... I dunno, episode 6 or so.

It's definitely an animation priority kinda show though

It's a beautiful show, for sure. I make no bones about that aspect.

FluxWaveZ

I think it just comes down to people taking it too seriously. Getting too caught up in what's canon, what isn't, yadayadayada.

David Hayter tweeted maybe an hour ago to "remember it's all in good fun". Boy, are those words to live by.

But weren't you just complaining about Space Dandy because of its absurdity?

But I enjoy discussing canon ;_;

PK Gaming

Full list of balance changes: http://pastebin.com/eb7aQRds

I wonder if ver. 1.1 will also come with the new characters. We know there's at least one thing they haven't disclosed, which is what that new mode will be.

Looks like Yu mostly got off scot free, outside of the Issen Shiden nerfs. It's for the best, honestly (though Issen Shiden A is still absurdly fast...)

I'm going to miss using 2C in blockstrings...

EDIT:

-The Labrys axe level buff is much appreciated
-BOO at Chie's 5A blockstun buff

Top Bottom