• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
Well yeah, late is definitely better than never. But we're not seeing more things built on top of FFVII today because they kind of failed to keep momentum while the Persona 4 train just seems to keep on giving and giving, which is why I think it was probably a bad idea to not include a remake alongside FFVII's spinoff/expanded universe stuff. I totally get why they actually couldn't though.
Didn't help that only one part of that FFVII revival was good too.

Sophia

I wish it had been a ton of Japanese ones. At least Persona 5 will (almost assuredly) send off Japan's contributions on a high note.

I think Japanese RPGs are on the uprise again. It just depends on companies like Square Enix to realize that people do want more RPGs like Bravely Default.

The audience is much smaller now than the 90s, but I do think P4 is sort of the FFVII of it's day. It's one of the biggest niche titles within the niche and it's popular enough that's it's basically a franchise unto itself at this point. We saw Square eventually try to capitalize on FFVII in the same way, but Atlus seems to actually be trying to maintain a certain standard of quality.

I agree with this statement, P4 is definitely helping create a new generation of JRPG fans, and I love it for that. Like how FFVII did so many years ago. Atlus is smart to capitalize on the Persona brand, with all the animes, movies, and games while it's growing. FF7 Compliation of, was just a lame cash cow, that people prayed upon people's nostalgia.
I kinda liked some of it
I remember back when we called P3 the FF7, man P4 has ballooned in popularity since then.

Really? I remember people liking P3 upon release, but it had its share of detractors. I thought P4 is THE PERSONA that appealed to people since it was more accessible, I saw mostly LOVE for it upon release.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So as I'm working towards it, does anyone have any tips for getting the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy in P4G?

Squire

Banned
Square was about 7 or 8 years too late with the franchising of FFVII tbh. Especially when they're not following up with an actual remake.

Square wasn't careful with it. The timing is irrelevant, since there's never a time where FFVII isn't in the conversation for one reason or another. They just put out a bunch of garbage. A cell phone game? A TPS? A movie? I geuss Crisis Core is largely considered to be a good game, but the rest is trash.

By comparison, P4A, PQ, and P4D all seem like good investments. Each one is game on dedicated gaming hardware, made by a respected team with oversight from Atlus, and caters specifically to a subset within the audience. This is everything the Compilation of FFVII should've been.

Square wasn't careful with it. The timing is irrelevant, since there's never a time where FFVII isn't in the conversation for one reason or another. They just put out a bunch of garbage. A cell phone game? A TPS? A movie? I geuss Crisis Core is largely considered to be a good game, but the rest is trash.

By comparison, P4A, PQ, and P4D all seem like good investments. Each one is game on dedicated gaming hardware, made by a respected team with oversight from Atlus, and caters specifically to a subset within the audience. This is everything the Compilation of FFVII should've been.

Well said Sir, you are on a roll.

I liked Crisis Core :x

I did too, kinda. Thank goodness for wall hugging to avoid battles and Costly Punch, made that game so much less annoying.

cj_iwakura

Yeah...Before Crisis.

Shotgun is the best thing to come out of the Compilation.

BC_Shotgun_1.jpg

Just beat Persona 4, the True Ending. Game is fucking amazing, angry at myself for not playing it earlier. Easily in my top five RPGs of all time. Kind of depressed it's over now, but at the same time happy that it's now behind me.

That said, concerning the True Ending--
the part with Izanami felt kind of tacked on without any real appropriate build up. The fight against Amano-Sengiri felt like more of a proper conclusion to the story, which I guess it was in a sense. Izanami was unfinished business. It was pretty funny once I realized it was the gas station attendant though. "Are you shitting me?!" was my general response.

Not sure where to go from here. I don't think I want to jump right back into a New Game+ run. If I was going to play it again I would do it on Golden, but I don't have a Vita quite yet. Persona 3 maybe? Persona 4 Arena?

Kazzy

So as I'm working towards it, does anyone have any tips for getting the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy in P4G?

Analyze often, use all party members. If at any point you feel like you're not getting something specific, force the issue. Each status effect/condition all has unique dialogue, and for every character.

Squire

Banned
I'm sure CC is good. I've always heard that, but I didn't have my PAP anymore by the time it released and it's not on PSN for whatever reason.

ANYWAY.

P4A2.

For the states.

Release date.

Atlus pls. :(

Acid08

Banned
Will Atlus announce all of these games at once for the US like they did for Japan?

I really just want P5 and P4D dates. PLZ ATLUS

FluxWaveZ

The amount of people who will potentially buy it, for starters.

Sure, but I meant within the context of the discussion. Corvo said:
Well, just given the massive explosion in popularity Persona has had since 4, it's got to at least sell really well.

And what I'm saying is that it's probably going to happen, because P4G already shipped 700k copies as a Vita exclusive, which was successful for them.

Squire

Banned
A console release date would probably need to be announced for Japan first.

Ohhhhhh, right.

Will Atlus announce all of these games at once for the US like they did for Japan?

With fighting games at least, it's customary to announce on a global scale if you're releasing globally.

It's not promised, but let's say the P4A2 console date is in Famitsu one week; We should get a US date in the same week. I don't think P4A was like that, but it came out globally and so will the sequel. There's no point in beating around the bush.

My new goal is to beat Persona 2 before we see any Persona 5 footage

Hmmm I should do that too. I need to get my Vita fixed first though.

Anyway, all this talk about FFVII reminded me of something, what does PersonaGAF think about FFVIII? I'm sure we all know a guy who swears its the best FF game of all time, I know I do, and all his praises made me interested to hear what the majority of a non-FF jrpg community thinks of it.

FluxWaveZ

I'm hoping we get a near simultaneous release like we did for the first game.

That'd be good; it's never a great situation when a console version of a fighting game is released in Japan far before anywhere else. Then again, a near simultaneous release like last time could bring about another region locking mess.

Sophia

That'd be good; it's never a great situation when a console version of a fighting game is released in Japan far before anywhere else. Then again, a near simultaneous release like last time could bring about another region locking mess.

I'm okay with region locking as long as Europe doesn't have to wait 300 years. Or better: Do only Japan/Not Japan region locking, which is absolutely possible if they wanted to do that.

Kazzy

Anyway, all this talk about FFVII reminded me of something, what does PersonaGAF think about FFVIII? I'm sure we all know a guy who swears its the best FF game of all time, I know I do, and all his praises made me interested to hear what the majority of a non-FF jrpg community thinks of it.

...I think that it's the best Final Fantasy game.

The junction system is broken, and it definitely has its flaws, but I just think that it's fun - Triple Triad!

Squire

Banned
Hmmm I should do that too. I need to get my Vita fixed first though.

I just bought a Steam key for that this week. FFVIII is good. It's one of my favorite stories in the series and it's fun to break the game.

*cough* Chrono Phabtasma *cough*

It's going to be region-locked again. I'd prepare my tears.

FluxWaveZ

With fighting games at least, it's customary to announce on a global scale if you're releasing globally.

It's not promised, but let's say the P4A2 console date is in Famitsu one week; We should get a US date in the same week. I don't think P4A was like that, but it came out globally and so will the sequel. There's no point in beating around the bush.

It's customary? I'm not sure about that, especially when it comes to ASW fighting games (compounded by the Atlus association). We'll get it, but I heavily doubt there will be a simultaneous announcement for a global release date, especially considering Europe.

But actually, let me redact my previous statement that a console release date for Japan would need to be set before an NA announcement. The console release for P4A in NA was teased and confirmed only two weeks after the JPN console release was announced on February 3, 2012. The actual JPN release date was only announced on April 18, 2012.

So, I'm actually expecting an NA release announcement before JPN's release date becomes something else than "summer 2014."

I'm okay with region locking as long as Europe doesn't have to wait 300 years. Or better: Do only Japan/Not Japan region locking, which is absolutely possible if they wanted to do that.

Yeah, region locking would be perfectly fine if everyone got the game at the same time or something more tactful, but I'm not too sure the business side of Atlus is that considerate. Maybe things have changed with the Sega acquisition, though.

Dantis

We need to see P4D and P5 first.

Stop with the bloody PQ character trailers and show us some gameplay, Atlus!

...I think that it's the best Final Fantasy game.

The junction system is broken, and it definitely has its flaws, but I just think that it's fun - Triple Triad!

Not to mention the best battle track in any Final Fantasy game.

Squire

Banned
It's customary? I'm not sure about that, especially when it comes to ASW fighting games (compounded by the Atlus association). We'll get it, but I heavily doubt there will be a simultaneous announcement for a global release date, especially considering Europe.

But actually, let me redact my previous statement that a console release date for Japan would need to be set before an NA announcement. The console release for NA was teased and confirmed only two weeks after the JPN console release was announced on February 3, 2012. The actual JPN release date was only announced on April 18, 2012.

So, I'm actually expecting an NA release announcement before JPN's release date becomes something else than "summer 2014."

Then we're back to where we started!

Word up.

Release Date: Not Before Evo.

:(

:'(

FluxWaveZ

In a Persona mood....think I'm gonna go BEARZERK waiting for P5 news...didn't Atlus say we'd hear more early 2014?

Apparently, Hashino stated in Dengeki that:
There will be more information for P5, at the start of next year.

The "start" of this year could mean a lot of things, though.

If the revived Persona magazine is indeed monthly, maybe there'll be a small tidbit of new info for P5 in the February issue.

Caladrius

If the revived Persona magazine is indeed monthly, maybe there'll be a small tidbit of new info for P5 in the February issue.

At this rate I'd be startled if they gave us a formal logo.

It's ironically harder waiting for P5 news now that we know it's coming soon.

FluxWaveZ

At this rate I'd be startled if they gave us a formal logo.

It's ironically harder waiting for P5 news now that we know it's coming soon.

You don't think the P5 logo in the #Re:birth issue is going to be the official logo? Might be refined a bit, but it looks good.

Top Bottom