• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Caladrius

I hardly think comparing Yoshio Sakamoto to Uematsu is an apt comparison. One of them is mocked, the other is at the top of their game as the FFXIV soundtrack shows. =P

It isn't, but my point was that people can completely miss the point of why something they made was great.

I also started with Persona 1 back in PS1, and my ranking of games from Ballertime to Pretty Damn Baller goes: Persona 2 Eternal Punishment > Persona 4 > Persina 3 The Answer > Persona 1 = Persona 2 Innocent Sin > Persona 3 The Journey > Persona 3 Portable
I list the two campaigns of P3FES and P3P because they are different enough to be rated differently

Having played them since release must have been an interesting. Especially since you have witnessed the evolution of the series first hand.

I guess for me it's P3:FES > P4, love them both though, and my opinion on P1 and the P2 duology hasn't changed since I was 10.

I was like 10 when my cousin introduced me to Revelations: Persona, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for the PS1. I remember telling him, "These games look boring, and creepy, lets play Diddy Kong Racing" :D

Just gonna YouTube them eventually, I hear so much good things about the story and characters. Though I would still rather play Diddy Kong Racing.

kiriin

and my opinion on P1 and the P2 duology hasn't changed since I was 10.

Just gonna YouTube them eventually, I hear so much good things about the story and characters. Though I would still rather play Diddy Kong Racing.

Theyre really not that bad except for IS psp random encounter couple together with some of the dungeons. This is coming from someone who isn't fond of SMT combat outside of press turn.

Having played them since release must have been an interesting. Especially since you have witnessed the evolution of the series first hand.

I guess for me it's P3:FES > P4, love them both though, and my opinion on P1 and the P2 duology hasn't changed since I was 10.

P3 was terrible at its first version, and I almost quit the series, it was just missing a lot of what I loved about pre ps2 games was missing. I gave p4 a chance and the game was much improved and the added story concepts and things that I loved in 1/2 that weren't in 3. I gave 3 another shot in the form of P3FES Abe found it to be way more enjoyable and and The Answer in particular scratched that P1/2/SMT itch nicely.

And while I feel bad that you guys might not P1/2 a chance, Diddy King Racing is the SHIT.

CorvoSol

All I know is that I ardently hope that someday a more definitive version of P3 than P3P comes out, so I can enjoy it more fully. There's just something lost in the moving a blue orb around town part.

Gazoinks

All I know is that I ardently hope that someday a more definitive version of P3 than P3P comes out, so I can enjoy it more fully. There's just something lost in the moving a blue orb around town part.

I sort of have mixed feelings about it. It sucks that there's no definitive version, but there's also three versions now, and I don't really want them to do yet another one any time soon.

What are the chances of the dungeons in P5 not being absolute garbage like they were in P2, P3, and P4? I would say randomly generated dungeons are the culprit but then I remembered P2 :lol. Also, shadows need more variety.

Caladrius

And while I feel bad that you guys might not P1/2 a chance, Diddy King Racing is the SHIT.

Hells yeah. My second favorite racer of all time after F-Zero GX.

I honestly don't miss most of the FES exclusive stuff, as I really don't like the epilogue and the overworld stuff ultimately doesn't constitute a large enough part of the experience to make me miss it.

What are the chances of the dungeons in P5 not being absolute garbage like they were in P2, P3, and P4? I would say randomly generated dungeons are the culprit but then I remembered P2 :lol. Also, shadows need more variety.

P1 best dungeon in series. Soul Hackers ha better dungeons than all of them.

Tamanon

Banned
I started with Revelations: Persona back in the day. I was late to consoles, not getting a SNES until I was 18 and away from home. Before that I grew up on PC games, so I was completely used to the first-person dungeoning from all the Gold Box and Wizardry games. The first Persona had a magic to it, with the modern setting and more unique way of story telling. Loved it.

P4 > P3 > P2 > P1 for me, just because I see each installment as an improvement.

Acid08

Banned
FES>P4G>OG P3>OG P4>P3P

Waiting for a P1P sale before I jump into the older games. How fucking fantastic is it that you can play every game in the series on the Vita? Too bad the version of P3 is the worst one but it's still serviceable.

Gazoinks

FES>P4G>OG P3>OG P4>P3P

Waiting for a P1P sale before I jump into the older games. How fucking fantastic is it that you can play every game in the series on the Vita? Too bad the version of P3 is the worst one but it's still serviceable.

This is basically the only reason I'm at all interesting in a Vita. :p

P3 was terrible at its first version, and I almost quit the series, it was just missing a lot of what I loved about pre ps2 games was missing. I gave p4 a chance and the game was much improved and the added story concepts and things that I loved in 1/2 that weren't in 3. I gave 3 another shot in the form of P3FES Abe found it to be way more enjoyable and and The Answer in particular scratched that P1/2/SMT itch nicely.

P3 was the first Persona game I enjoyed, must have been the art direction, and S.Links. P1/2's art style never appealed to me as a kid. Though now that I'm older, I have a new appreciation for it, it's quite striking. You're right about P4, it definitely improved in places P3 was lacking. There's no denying that. I love P3:FES and The Answer, while combat heavy and lacking S.Links, it had such an impactful story. The voice acting was also fantastic.

Yes! Diddy Kong Racing is the SHIT
q19B9.gif

Dantis

I enjoyed Tartarus more than any of the dungeons on the other games.

Straight up dungeon crawling, stripped down to the core. It was great.

I don't want any shitty key puzzles or any of that garbage, like what Soul Hackers and P4 had.

Gazoinks

I don't want any shitty key puzzles or any of that garbage, like what Soul Hackers and P4 had.

Tartarus had better dungeon design, it was more varied and didn't have the annoying key puzzles, but it got super tedious. The P4 dungeons felt a bit less interesting in actual gameplay, but still felt more fun to me because of their variety.

Dantis

You really need to stop doing that thing where you stack the same GIF or image three times in a row.

Tartarus had better dungeon design, it was more varied and didn't have the annoying key puzzles, but it got super tedious. The P4 dungeons felt a bit less interesting in actual gameplay, but still felt more fun to me because of their variety.

P4's dungeons would have been greatly improved without the fucking key puzzles. So awful. Enjoy going back down two floors to get the key that you missed!

Back on topic... I love Tartarus, though once you are level 99 climbing up it again in new game plus is kind of a pain.

Edit: at least the shadows ran away from you :p

cj_iwakura

So basically Dantis wants roguelikes and not dungeon crawlers that reward exploration.

Boy would he loathe SMT1 and The Dark Spire.

In this gif I'm Vince Mcmahon and the body builder is DKR and everything you sent.
ef28TQS.gif

I have no idea what the context of it is, but I love everything about that gif.

PK Gaming

P4 > P3 > P1> P2:IS > P2:EP

I'm sure by now you all know I feel about P4 so I won't talk about it.

P3 was solid game (and at the time, groundbreaking), but it was a step down from P4 on virtually all fronts outside of story. (P3P's FeMC s.links are comparable to P4's s.links I guess). P1 was a pretty enjoyable game from beginning up until the end. It was kind of repetitive, and the game didn't do much to break up the gameplay. Nonexistent sidequests, empty world map (I seriously wanted to revisit the school during its "normal" state) hurt the experience for me. All in all, its a good game that's kind of underrated on the net.

I really, really enjoyed IS & EP narrative, but they're exceedingly mediocre on the gameplay front, which is kind of a problem... since they're video games.

As an aside, i've gotten farther in Soul Hackers. It's... a really, really good game. It's shaping up to be one of my favorite Megaten games.

Gazoinks

As an aside, i've gotten farther in Soul Hackers. It's... a really, really good game. It's shaping up to be one of my favorite Megaten games.

I just started up Soul Hackers again and, even with the Digest, I have no idea what I was doing. >.> I really enjoyed what I played of it though, it seems really cool. The COMPS, man. The COMPS.

CorvoSol

FES>P4G>OG P3>OG P4>P3P

Is P3 FES available for Vita or just P3P?

Caladrius

Sing the praises of our lord David Wise and one of my favorite VG soundtracks, sir Buddha. And that gif brings back very bad memories.

So basically Dantis wants roguelikes and not dungeon crawlers that reward exploration.

I have no idea what the context of it is, but I love everything about that gif.

I kind of want a combination of both in P5 (and I mean separate dungeons that take after both styles, not actually combined)

and the Vince Mcmahon GIF is probably my favorite.

Sing the praises of our lord David Wise and one of my favorite VG soundtracks, sir Buddha. And that gif brings back very bad memories.

Hell yeah, David Wise is fantastic. There needs to be a David Wise OT, unless I have not been looking hard enough. Hell a Diddy Kong Racing OT would be badass also.

What's the gameplay of Soul Hackers consist of?

Is P3 FES available for Vita or just P3P?

P3FES is only for PS2 and PS3 via PSN. Someday it will be available for Vita as "Persona 3: FES - Full Moon Edition," my hypothetical ultimate dream version that will probably never happen but would really like it too.

Dantis

Explain to me how the dungeons in P1, P2, P4 is Soul Hackers 'reward exploration' any more than Tartarus does, because I don't see it. All I see is arbitrary obstacles blocking your path masquerading as design.

What I love about P3 and P4 is that they're very much two-sided. I play the real-world parts completely immersed and fully focused, and I play the dungeons completely switched off, listening to a podcast and chilled out.

In P3, the objective was to ascend. No catches, no... anything. In P4, it was to ascend... until you reach the locked door in which case you had to retread old ground (Which in P4G was then fucking restructured for some ridiculous reason) to find some stupid key and then return to your single objective. It didn't reward exploration, it just added an obnoxious barrier.

Explain to me how the dungeons in P1, P2, P4 is Soul Hackers 'reward exploration' any more than Tartarus does, because I don't see it. All I see is arbitrary obstacles blocking your path masquerading as design.

What I love about P3 and P4 is that they're very much two-sided. I play the real-world parts completely immersed and fully focused, and I play the dungeons completely switched off, listening to a podcast and chilled out.

In P3, the objective was to ascend. No catches, no... anything. In P4, it was to ascend... until you reach the locked door in which case you had to retread old ground (Which in P4G was then fucking restructured for some ridiculous reason) to find some stupid key and then return to your single objective. It didn't reward exploration, it just added an obnoxious barrier.

Persona 1 no, but P2 and Soul Hackers have cool items and rewards for exploring, and the complete the map rewards in P2EP are super good after the first few.

Well, even P1 does. Plus, since its not random, you can memorize where all the cool stuff is and get there pretty painlessly.

I want P5 to make the dungeon crawling a focus again. Not THE focus, but A focus.

What's the gameplay of Soul Hackers consist of?
It's pretty much 6 party members(You, Nemissa, and 4 other demons). And have two rows, a front and a back row. Along with a loyalty system that is in there also, depending on their personalities they have they will tend to perfer different attacks. The lower the loyalty, the less likely they'll use a skill that isn't one of the preferences, and if their loyalty drops to zero, they will leave the party. At the highest loyalty they will perform any action for you no question. I would also say that spell wise, it's old school SMT, in that you can exploit weaknesses, but will only do extra damage.

PK Gaming

Posting the second and last pastebin of P4A2 win quotes. I recommend sticking away due to possible spoilers if you're still playing P3/P4.
These are so great.

I won't defend P2's dungeons (P2:EP has some of the worst dungeons in gaming) but P1 & Soul Hackers give you some decent incentives to exploring. The primary ones being rare items (like incenses, balm of lifes and whatnot) but you're also rewarded with optional scenes in P1/Soul Hackers.

P3 items are randomized so you're only rewarded if you're lucky. It's like playing through an MMO RPG dungeon in that respect.

There are more to well crafted dungeons than just puzzles. P4 implemented puzzles in a very shitty way(can't speak on soul hackers). You can enjoy running through randomly generated bland hallways and that's fine but for me, after experiencing SMT IV, I don't want to back to anything else. The dungeon crawling in P1 was also serviceable.

Dantis

I won't defend P2's dungeons (P2:EP has some of the worst dungeons in gaming) but P1 & Soul Hackers give you some decent incentives to exploring. The primary ones being rare items (like incenses and whatnot) but you're also rewarded with optional scenes in P1/Soul Hackers.

You get rare items in Persona 3 and 4 though, right? Just because they were randomized doesn't really change anything.

And I don't remember any optional scenes in P1 or Soul Hackers (Though I only got about halfway through SH)... Could you give some examples?

There are more to well crafted dungeons than just puzzles. P4 implemented puzzles in a very shitty way(can't speak on soul hackers). You can enjoy running through randomly generated bland hallways and that's fine but for me, after experiencing SMT IV, I don't want to back to anything else. The dungeon crawling in P1 was also serviceable.

Maybe there is, but unless you explain why, I won't understand what you mean. :p

While its mostly simpler than any real SMT, Soul Hackers still gets to this level at times:

20_b.png

This dungeon is actually pretty easy imo

Top Bottom