• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Meia

tumblr_miq5p6KYmA1qh5kc2o1_1280.jpg

full size http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=26829110

This is AMAZING. @_@

Dantis

I read the page with Dantis having an Aigis avatar, refresh it, and suddenly he's got a Naoto avatar....

Also, I dun care who penned it. Naoto novel sucks and everyone should pretend it doesn't exist. >.<

I did it to confuse you.

Long haired Naoto and her outfit can stay, I guess...

I was thinking, it would be cool if Naoto's hair in P4D was like halfway between PxD and P4G's epilogue.

Might as well post my picture.

FluxWaveZ

Well, it looks like it won't be a sequel to Arena, at least. I'd expect a P5 fighter or something, still made by Arc and using similar mechanics.

I meant sequel in the strict sense and not in terms of narrative. A P4A3 with P5 characters 2-3 years down the line, I suppose, wouldn't be too surprising, but given the nature of a fighting game and the community the game's already engendered, as well as the assets they've already created for P4A and P4A2, I heavily doubt they'd throw away all of the characters, music and stages and start from scratch.

Lunar15

I wonder what Hashino means when he says that Persona 5 will be "more thematically approachable"?

I felt the themes in P4/P3 were pretty blatant, but does he mean that this will be less grim? He does mention that the players are out to directly destroy a lot of the factors that make people apathetic to the world around them.

I'm pretty excited, it sounds like they're pretty sold on their own themes.

I also thought it was interesting that he said that the red tone brought up some difficulties in designing menus due to how intense red is.

Sophia

I wonder what Hashino means when he says that Persona 5 will be "more thematically approachable"?

I felt the themes in P4/P3 were pretty blatant, but does he mean that this will be less grim? He does mention that the players are out to directly destroy a lot of the factors that make people apathetic to the world around them.

I'm pretty excited, it sounds like they're pretty sold on their own themes.

Sounds like he wants a theme that can resonate with a lot of players, rather then something just deep for the sake of being deep. So more along the lines of P3 and P4 and less like Xenogears/mainline SMT.

Noooooope. PxD is one year after the end of P4. The epilogue is like six months after P4. P4D is in between the two.

Meh, that's what I meant...

Wiki says P4D takes place half a year after the murders were solved. I always thought it was a bit more than that. Though I can't find a source for it anywhere.

FluxWaveZ

I felt the themes in P4/P3 were pretty blatant, but does he mean that this will be less grim?

I thought he specifically said that the themes will be less blatant/heavy-handed this time around?

Lunar15

I thought he specifically said that the themes will be less blatant/heavy-handed this time around?

Well, the translated quote is literally:

"People that have played Persona 3 and 4 should feel right at home with Persona 5 as well. I really want them to feel at ease when they play this new entry. Still, I'd like to make it a little more thematically approachable than what we've attempted with our previous games"

(thanks Pepsiman)

He's referring to the themes as being more approachable in relation to previous Persona titles. I just don't know what approachable means. Either way, I really love the stuff he's talking about, it sounds right up my alley, thematically. Really resonates.

(thanks Pepsiman)

He's referring to the themes as being more approachable in relation to previous Persona titles. I just don't know what approachable means. Either way, I really love the stuff he's talking about, it sounds right up my alley, thematically. Really resonates.

Probably has to do with it not feeling/being forced but more natural.

FluxWaveZ

(thanks Pepsiman)

Yeah, I was reading it again to check, and what I should have said is that he'll keep the concept of the themes simple for P5 like he did with P3 and P4.

For the "more thematically approachable" part, I'd think it's kind of what Sophia said and that he'd want to tackle themes that possibly more people can relate to than in the past.

I imagine "death" and "reaching out to the truth", while universal concepts, can possibly be something people can't immediately relate to in their everyday lives.

And yeah, the quote I originally posted makes me think this might be the Persona game I can relate to the most. The simple image of the school chairs and the ball and chains already resonates with me:
I feel that in today's world, there's no shortage of people that are bored and discontent with their lives. They're at a dead end, chained down to a world of which they resent being a part. Persona 5, in that sense, is a game about freedom, the kind that those sorts of people haven't had living in the real world.

Sophia

You know, I wouldn't think that "reaching out to the truth" would be a theme so many players could resonate with. But apparently it is, given Persona 4's success. Guess it's all about how you do it.

FluxWaveZ

You know, I wouldn't think that "reaching out to the truth" would be a theme so many players could resonate with. But apparently it is, given Persona 4's success. Guess it's all about how you do it.

That's true. Then again, according to Hashino, the core theme for P3 and P4 was "that by banding together and forming a community with other people, you can get a sort of freedom that you couldn't just by being completely on your own."

Obviously, that ties in to the whole Social Link thing. If P5 won't be as much about how banding together as a group makes one stronger than going at things alone, I wonder how the party interaction will be and if the Social Links will have a different dynamic as a whole.

Lunar15

Hiding secrets from everyone and learning to open up to people are pretty resonant themes, I feel. Particularly in Japan where there's words and concepts devoted to society repressing secrets and blemishes. "Memento Mori" is the more surprising one. P3 was about learning to deal with death and finding a reason to live.

Obviously, that ties in to the whole Social Link thing. If P5 won't be as much about how banding together as a group makes one stronger than going at things alone, I wonder how the party interaction will be and if the Social Links will have a different dynamic as a whole.

Instead of "maxing" a social link, you'll be "breaking the chains" that make people feel immobilized. For every chain broken, you can fuse new personas. Gameplay wise it's the same, but thematically it's different.

Instead of "maxing" a social link, you'll be "breaking the chains" that make people feel immobilized. For every chain broken, you can fuse new personas. Gameplay wise it's the same, but thematically it's different.

I like this idea, very much in fact. Maybe the S.link is "chain strangling the individual." Every level you earn is one step closer to the destruction of said chain. Ultimately, you free the person from whatever is immobilizing them, or consuming their life in a negative manner.

Example:
Maybe you meet someone who is addicted to drugs. Slowly but surely, P5MC talks things out with said druggy, encouraging him to quit because it's ruining his life. Over the course of the S.link you see him improving. Finally at max level the "chain breaks" and he is free from his addiction. You make an awesome new friend, can now fuse the ultimate persona, and learned a valuable lesson. Winners Don't Use Drugs.

As you said, gameplay wise, still the same. Thematically fits with the whole "You are slave, Want Emancipation?" concept.

Gazoinks

I think the thing that really stands out to me from the bits of the interview I've read is that Hashino seems really concerned with speaking to and inspiring the player, as much as the characters. Just think that's interesting (and awesome), not many games really try to do that.

Tamanon

Banned
Breaking the chain would at least explain the MC never hanging out with them again after the event!

Also, it fits perfectly in with the whole concept of Personas to begin with.

Gazoinks

I like this idea, very much in fact. Maybe the S.link is "chain strangling the individual." Every level you earn is one step closer to the destruction of said chain. Ultimately, you free the person from whatever is immobilizing them, or consuming their life in a negative manner.

Example:
Maybe you meet someone who is addicted to drugs. Slowly but surely, P5MC talks things out with said druggy, encouraging him to quit because it's ruining his life. Over the course of the S.link you see him improving. Finally at max level the "chain breaks" and he is free from his addiction. You make an awesome new friend, can now fuse the ultimate persona, and learned a valuable lesson. Winners Don't Use Drugs.

As you said, gameplay wise, still the same. Thematically fits with the whole "You are slave, Want Emancipation?" concept.

This is a really cool idea, I could see them doing it.

Lunar15

Actually, the way Hashino talks about chains, it sounds like they're self-inflicted. It's less "these external factors are holding me back" and more "I don't want to try to be active in the world around me"

I could be misinterpreting that though. Either way, it's a neat theme and it sounds like they're really passionate about it. As was said before, it's fun to hear that he want to "speak to the player" and not just the characters in the game. It's what I loved about the other games they've made.

I think the thing that really stands out to me from the bits of the interview I've read is that Hashino seems really concerned with speaking to and inspiring the player, as much as the characters. Just think that's interesting (and awesome), not many games really try to do that.

Oh definitely, I really hope the game fulfills his vision. It would be awesome having a video game that inspires and speaks to the player as well as the characters. I want it to have Gurren Lagann levels of inspiration where (TTGL spoilers)
Simon breaking out of his depression, caused by Kamina's death, the goes on to say "Who the hell do you think I am!?" and saves Nia. Yeah! That would be badass.

Lunar15

Also, I just made the connection between the color "red" and the idea of a stop sign or stop light. For a game about inhibition, it makes a lot of sense.

Oh definitely, I really hope the game fulfills his vision. It would be awesome having a video game that inspires and speaks to the player as well as the characters. I want it to have Gurren Lagann levels of inspiration where (TTGL spoilers)
Simon breaking out of his depression, caused by Kamina's death, the goes on to say "Who the hell do you think I am!?" and saves Nia. Yeah! That would be badass.

Everything would be better if it were more like Gurren Lagann.

Gazoinks

Additional non-P5 interview stand-outs:
-I like how Hashino says that they intended Arena to be a game based in Soejima's art, and they want Dancing to be a game based in Meguro's music. I'd never really thought about Arena like that, but it does make Dancing make more sense.
-Hasino seems surprisingly serious about Dancing's plot and describes it as "a game about show business as Rise experiences it".
-It's a long quote, but he talked a bit more at the end about he (and SMT as a whole) strives to make games that are intellectually or emotionally stimulating in addition to just being pure entertainment. Really great to see these kinds of opinions from a developer.
-He says that it's not just games the Persona team is working to bring to fans this year.

Okay I'm hyped now! I'm ready! BRING IT ON! :D

Also, I just made the connection between the color "red" and the idea of a stop sign or stop light. For a game about inhibition, it makes a lot of sense.

Fantastic, I never thought of the symbolism behind the color "red," very interesting. Stop doing the things that are chaining you down. Stop doing the things that harm you, be it physically or mentally. Stop being a loner all day and go out, make friends. Yeah I can totally see why they chose "red" based on the information we have.

Everything would be better if it were more like Gurren Lagann.

Damn right, I hope the main characters weapon is a drill.

Levito

Banned
Hashino to tackle the hard knock life of being a pop idol? This is going to be 2deep4me.

Completely related to Persona: Depending on how the final two episodes go, I think Madoka might be my new favorite anime. Or at the very least, Top 5.

Gazoinks

Completely related to Persona: Depending on how the final two episodes go, I think Madoka might be my new favorite anime. Or at the very least, Top 5.

It's just as on topic as when I was telling everyone to watch F/Z on the last page. :p I like F/Z a little more, but Madoka's great, and it (along with Baccano!) played a big part in getting me back into anime last year.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I was listening to the soundtrack of this earlier while walking to my local shopping district IRL (specifically heartbreat, heartbreak). It fits so damn well haha.

Soriku

Hashino to tackle the hard knock life of being a pop idol? This is going to be 2deep4me.

My man. Watched it some weeks ago, it was excellent.

I agree Fate/Zero is a little better though.

Levito

Banned
Also, I was watching old fights on UFC.tv last night and saw this:

BfnW_iWCMAAdHFo.png:large

Atlus used to be so hardcore that they sponsored the MMA promotions. Now Look at them, stooping to dancing games. #savemegaten

It's just as on topic as when I was telling everyone to watch F/Z on the last page. :p I like F/Z a little more, but Madoka's great, and it (along with Baccano!) played a big part in getting me back into anime last year.

Fate/Zero is one of my favorites, and an incredible show too. Only thing that drag it down, is ironically... The Fate franchise. (IE: first episode is a bunch of boring exposition explaining the rules of the universe)

Like I said though, still need to see the last two Eps of Madoka before I'll say it's better.

Gazoinks

Fate/Zero is one of my favorites, and an incredible show too. Only thing that drag it down, is ironically... The Fate franchise. (IE: first episode is a bunch of boring exposition explaining the rules of the universe)

Like I said that, still need to see the last two Eps of Madoka before I'll say it's better.

Ugh, don't remind me about Fate. :p The ultimate Urobuchi twist of F/Z is that nothing else in the franchise is nearly as good.

The ending of Madoka is really great, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. :D

Swedesu

P3 Fes and P2 EP is now on sale on the US PS store for those who had been waiting (me).

Madoka really is great but I would also put Fate/Zero above it, and not only for it's superior animation (holy shit those battles).
But also because Kiritsugu might be one of my favourite protagonists ever.

Sophia

Off-topic, but if you liked Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica, you should look into Kamen Rider Gaim. It's a live action TV Show, but the storywriter is the same writer as the former two shows; Gen Urobuchi.

Atlus used to be so hardcore that they sponsored the MMA promotions. Now Look at them, stooping to dancing games. #savemegaten

I don't know why, but your comment makes me want another Devil Summoner game.

Gazoinks

Off-topic, but if you liked Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica, you should look into Kamen Rider Gaim. It's a live action TV Show, but the storywriter is the same writer as the former two shows; Gen Urobuchi.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to check this out. Heard good things.

Sophia

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to check this out. Heard good things.

It's a much needed breath of fresh air after the disappointing Kamen Rider Wizard, and while it isn't as dark as his other works, it is as much an Urobuchi show as it is a Kamen Rider show.

more like devil summoner and persona. a union of dr. victor and assistant igor.

I dunno if putting a madman with Igor would work out so well.... >_>;

Trigger

The final two episodes are some of the best. Madoka is a great anime.

something something Persona

Gazoinks

It's a much needed breath of fresh air after the disappointing Kamen Rider Wizard, and while it isn't as dark as his other works, it is as much an Urobuchi show as it is a Kamen Rider show.

Is it approachable for someone who hasn't watched any previous Kamen Rider stuff?

How about them Personas amiright?

Top Bottom