• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Off-topic, but if you liked Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica, you should look into Kamen Rider Gaim. It's a live action TV Show, but the storywriter is the same writer as the former two shows; Gen Urobuchi.
I would add Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, which kinda gives off this Fate/Zero feel. With how the Rider War works. And is a pretty good show to watch, that is if you can find it.
Plus, the theme song is badass.

Might as well post my picture.
tYa6Lnw.png

I absolutely love this picture by the way. Its done really well. Just wish her one arm didn't just end right there.

EMT0

Banned
I did it to confuse you.

I was thinking, it would be cool if Naoto's hair in P4D was like halfway between PxD and P4G's epilogue.

Might as well post my picture.

This may honestly be the best Naoto you've drawn to date as far as face goes. I could almost mistake that for official art tbh.

Acid08

Banned
Welp Persona 1 is on sale. Gonna buy that this weekend and jump in to these weird prequel games I've heard so much about.

CorvoSol

Persona 4 Arena Ultimate Edition is 22.49 on PSN today. Is that a deal?

Also whatever happened to Persona 3 FES going on sale?

Sophia

This may honestly be the best Naoto you've drawn to date as far as face goes. I could almost mistake that for official art tbh.

Not quite official art. There's something about the eyes that's different from official art. I can't place my finger on it tho. It is however very close.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimate Edition is 22.49 on PSN today. Is that a deal?

Also whatever happened to Persona 3 FES going on sale?

It is on sale. Currently $4.99 instead of it's usual $9.99.

CorvoSol

Er, AU is still 2250, but eh, I figured what the hey. 27 bucks is still less than what a used copy of 4A was gonna run me from Amazon, so I'll take it.

CorvoSol

The digital version of P4A is region-locked, too. Do you know if it'll work on your console?

Whelp. Shoulda looked at the fine print, I guess.

The one I bought was rated by the ESRB and I live the God Blessed United States of A, so I guess it probably will?

MSMrRound

Whelp. Shoulda looked at the fine print, I guess.

The one I bought was rated by the ESRB and I live the God Blessed United States of A, so I guess it probably will?

For that, it's better to double check your PS3 box. My PS3 is under R3, that's why I got a R3 copy of P4A. You could live in the USA, but your PS3 might be imported from somewhere else...it's always better to check.

CorvoSol

For that, it's better to double check your PS3 box. My PS3 is under R3, that's why I got a R3 copy of P4A. You could live in the USA, but your PS3 might be imported from somewhere else...it's always better to check.

Well I don't have my PS3, but it was bought locally, so I can't imagine it was imported from somewhere? It would take a whole lot of magical unfortunate circumstances for it not to be a US model playing a US game, but there isn't any real way for me to be OCD certain until April at the soonest, so whatevs. I'm just going to assume it plays all US games the same as it always has.

MSMrRound

I'm just saying that there are some stores that DO import their PS3 sets in order to sell it at a cheaper price. (E.g my local shop can sell anything from R1 to R4 region stuff.) Checking the box that the PS3 came in (if you still have it) is the most fool-proof way for ensuring that you are buying the right version of Persona 4 Arena. If you believe that you brought a NA PS3, well...by all means then.

Soriku

Was the new Hashino interview posted on Gaming side? I like the sound of the theme they picked a lot. I'll definitely be able to relate.

Tamanon

Banned
Why does Atlus put the Persona series on sale every other week?

There's no downside to it really. Gets some folks thinking about the series. Since it's digital, all losses have already been realized so now it's just about possible revenue.

FluxWaveZ

Was the new Hashino interview posted on Gaming side? I like the sound of the theme they picked a lot. I'll definitely be able to relate.

It's not new since it was from the #Re:birth magazine available on December 5th, 2013. It's just now been translated, but posting a thread for an old, translated magazine article scan sounds dubious at best.

Instead of "maxing" a social link, you'll be "breaking the chains" that make people feel immobilized. For every chain broken, you can fuse new personas. Gameplay wise it's the same, but thematically it's different.

Hm, maybe. But a lot of the social links in Persona 3 and Persona 4 already have to do with the main characters resolving someone's problems. Perhaps it's as Hashino might imply and you say and that it's what the nature of the problems will be that will differ.

Soriku

Why did it take so long for it to be translated? Anyway there's still a good amount of new info.

If it's limited-time people are going to be more likely to jump on the chance.

With how often Atlus has these sales I wonder how many people do an impulse buy anymore. They know another sale is around the corner.

Levito

Banned
Every time they do, we get more LTTP threads, and then more people buy Persona. It's genius!

Nope, it's all just apart of the downward spiral. People are turning a blind eye to tr00 demon gotta fuse 'em all goodness. #savemegaten

Mostly just wondering why they don't permanently lower the price, given how often they're on sale. heh

FluxWaveZ

Why did it take so long for it to be translated? Anyway there's still a good amount of new info.

Because practically no one cares about translating this stuff except for Pepsiman, and there are probably just a few more people who even care to read the translations. Probably close to the same reason there are no clear new character theme rips from P4A2.

Lunar15

Nope, it's all just apart of the downward spiral. People are turning a blind eye to tr00 demon gotta fuse 'em all goodness. #savemegaten

Mostly just wondering why they don't permanently lower the price, given how often they're on sale. heh

Studies show that frequent sales actually increases purchases more than permanently lowering the price.

It makes sense: People go "Oh, I should get it while it's on sale!", plus you get the added buzz every time it goes on sale.

Valve did significant research on the impact on non discounted prices after a sale and they found that the uptick in purchases after a sale usually stays on pace even after the price goes back to normal.

Dantis

This pic is killer, as is DDS.

That one is AWESOME!!!!

Love it, Dantis. You continue to put out fantastic pieces! :D

I absolutely love this picture by the way. Its done really well. Just wish her one arm didn't just end right there.

Hot damn! It's beautiful. Seriously, that's amazing!! :)

Thanks! I'm climbing the staircase to animu.

Not quite official art. There's something about the eyes that's different from official art. I can't place my finger on it tho. It is however very close.

I'll settle for 'very close'. ;)

My art will probably never look exactly like Soejima's, because I'm drawing original stuff, rather than using a Soejima image as a base and altering it. I actually think that's fine though. Perhaps even a good thing.

Gazoinks

Thanks! I'm climbing the staircase to animu.

I'll settle for 'very close'. ;)

My art will probably never look exactly like Soejima's, because I'm drawing original stuff, rather than using a Soejima image as a base and altering it. I actually think that's fine though. Perhaps even a good thing.

Oh, I don't think I commented on this one. Awesome work, one of my favorites you've drawn so far. :D

Levito

Banned
More like the psychology of everyone. It's the plot of P6.

Fun fact: Most consumers think something $4.99 is a significant discount from $5.00. I worked at a Wal-mart all throughout high school and saw it happen all the time, ah fun times.

Dantis

I hate Tumblr so much.

Probably the best piece of Persona art I've drawn, and it has fourteen notes.

Not cute enough, probably. Needs more kawaii.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Because practically no one cares about translating this stuff except for Pepsiman, and there are probably just a few more people who even care to read the translations. Probably close to the same reason there are no clear new character theme rips from P4A2.

I was really surprised to see that the interview had apparently gone untranslated for that long considering what sort of content it has. I put out my feelers to make sure I wasn't stepping on anybody's toes since 99% of the time I prefer for my work to be original as long as any existing fan translations for other stuff is sufficiently solid, but as far as I could tell, nobody had even done a text dump. Normally I can expect that much from Persona General over on 4chan, but that doesn't seem to have been the case this time around. Nobody probably really bothered to check those scans since normally the magazine is a pretty brazen marketing rag, as one would expect, pretty to look at though it may be. Just happy I could do my part to unearth some interesting stuff and make it a fun experience to read! The magazine had some similarly interesting reads with people like Meguro during its initial run, though, so I'll probably at least be keeping a closer eye on any subsequent issues they put out moving forward.

Anyway, I saw that you all were discussing what Hashino meant when using terms like "approachable" and whatnot with regards to Persona 5's story, so I thought I'd shed a little bit more light on that part of the interview. That question was actually probably the hardest of the bunch to nail down as a translator, since even in Japanese he's a bit wishy-washy. That follow-up question where the interviewer asks, "Oh, so it's kind of the same as the other games?" is written in such a way that even they want a bit of a clearer answer out of him. Anyway, in the original Japanese, Hashino goes on at length describing Persona 5's story as literally being comparatively ストレート, or "straight," and that word is about as flexible as it is in its native English. It applies as much to a person's hair as it can more abstract things. But in that elaborated answer he follows up with, it's clear that Hashino's intent isn't to really dumb down the story or anything so much as to perhaps change how the game's themes are expressed, so I went with the language that I did because I personally wasn't getting the impression as a translator that he meant "straight" in much of a literal sense. He actually uses that word quite a lot in that part of the interview in the original Japanese, but to avoid redundancy, that's why you see my translation using alternative words like "accessible" and "approachable" and whatnot; I basically used viable synonyms depending on context so as to make it a more enjoyable read in English without sacrificing the core intent of his words. There's a much more literal way to approach that answer, but I think it produces way more semantic problems in English than what I wrote does, but that's just me personally.

So I'd say based on how I interpreted his Japanese personally that I think people like Flux and Sophia are on the right track; it's more about tuning the game's themes and creative intent to be more readily resonant than anything else. I think it's just one of those things that he's deliberately playing close to the chest so as to not let out a whole lot of concrete details spill out about the game just yet.

I hate Tumblr so much.

That's just how it is. Things you loved working on don't get many notes, then things you didn't like the outcome get notes up the wazoo.

I say just do what you want to do and don't chase after popularity. If you're stuff is genuinely good, you will find an audience.

EMT0

Banned
I hate Tumblr so much.

You're welcome Dantis-chan. But yeah, tumblr is an odd beast which I don't use very much. I found it kind of funny how my Teddie hype gifs seemed to disseminate on there without my having to do anything at the time of the P5 hype train.

Jintor

I say just do what you want to do and don't chase after popularity. If you're stuff is genuinely good, you will find an audience.

100%.

After all, if I was chasing after popularity, I'd be really cut because nobody in this thread is watching my tumblr and reposting to the thread but me!

...not that I update very often, or at all really

Levito

Banned
I hate Tumblr so much.

It's like when I put questions posts on r/Megaten for the podcast, and I get like 60 upvotes. Then the actual episode comes out, and it gets like 17 upvotes.

Parents just don't understand.

Caladrius

I had a Tumblr once. I lost the password though.

Just finished Tales of Xilla. I liked it but the stuff you have to do to get a good NG+ is icky.
Also, Real Talk: Rowen>>>>>Jude (no bias here)>Elize=Alvin>Milla>>>>>>Leia

Also Also Persona 4 Golden playthrough #7, Valkyria Chronicles or Vanquish?

Top Bottom