• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

I'm just saying that there are some stores that DO import their PS3 sets in order to sell it at a cheaper price. (E.g my local shop can sell anything from R1 to R4 region stuff.) Checking the box that the PS3 came in (if you still have it) is the most fool-proof way for ensuring that you are buying the right version of Persona 4 Arena. If you believe that you brought a NA PS3, well...by all means then.

I don't even have the box anymore. Had the console for 4 years now.

FluxWaveZ

I was really surprised to see that the interview had apparently gone untranslated for that long considering what sort of content it has. I put out my feelers to make sure I wasn't stepping on anybody's toes since 99% of the time I prefer for my work to be original as long as any existing fan translations for other stuff is sufficiently solid, but as far as I could tell, nobody had even done a text dump. Normally I can expect that much from Persona General over on 4chan, but that doesn't seem to have been the case this time around. Nobody probably really bothered to check those scans since normally the magazine is a pretty brazen marketing rag, as one would expect, pretty to look at though it may be. Just happy I could do my part to unearth some interesting stuff and make it a fun experience to read! The magazine had some similarly interesting reads with people like Meguro during its initial run, though, so I'll probably at least be keeping a closer eye on any subsequent issues they put out moving forward.

[...]

So I'd say based on how I interpreted his Japanese personally that I think people like Flux and Sophia are on the right track; it's more about tuning the game's themes and creative intent to be more readily resonant than anything else. I think it's just one of those things that he's deliberately playing close to the chest so as to not let out a whole lot of concrete details spill out about the game just yet.

Yeah, it's weird that this information was now just made available in English. Maybe it's because it was part of the Persona magazine, like you said, but I would have thought people would still want to check it out since it seemed like a relatively lengthy piece about Persona 5.

And thanks for the clarification concerning what Hashino said about the means to convey the game's themes. It's always interesting to hear your process when it comes to the translations.

I had a Tumblr once. I lost the password though.

Just finished Tales of Xilla. I liked it but the stuff you have to do to get a good NG+ is icky.
Also, Real Talk: Rowen>>>>>Jude (no bias here)>Elize=Alvin>Milla>>>>>>Leia

Also Also Persona 4 Golden playthrough #7, Valkyria Chronicles or Vanquish?

I vote Valkyria Chronicles because I recently started it too.

VC, more people should play that game.

Caladrius

Dantis

i hate you dantis-kun :(

Pffft. I saw your Attack on Titan picture that got like 70000 notes or whatever it was.

I hate you, Jintor.

That's just how it is. Things you loved working on don't get many notes, then things you didn't like the outcome get notes up the wazoo.

I say just do what you want to do and don't chase after popularity. If you're stuff is genuinely good, you will find an audience.

Yup. It's frustrating though.

100%.

After all, if I was chasing after popularity, I'd be really cut because nobody in this thread is watching my tumblr and reposting to the thread but me!

...not that I update very often, or at all really

I visit your art blog, and I follow your main blog.

The reason I don't follow your art blog is just because I never use my Tumblr account to actually look at other people's stuff, I just visit their page because I'm never logged in.

Also I don't think you've ever linked your art blog. Here you go.

It's like when I put questions posts on r/Megaten for the podcast, and I get like 60 upvotes. Then the actual episode comes out, and it gets like 17 upvotes.

Parents just don't understand.

Yup. Internet popularity is irritating.

On the one hand, it doesn't actually matter, because I draw these pictures for fun. On the other hand, it feels good when people like my shit, and I wish the correlation in terms of quality to popularity made more sense than it does.

Gazoinks

100%.

After all, if I was chasing after popularity, I'd be really cut because nobody in this thread is watching my tumblr and reposting to the thread but me!

I didn't even know you had an art blog!

Levito

Banned

On the one hand, it doesn't actually matter, because I draw these pictures for fun. On the other hand, it feels good when people like my shit, and I wish the correlation in terms of quality to popularity made more sense than it does.

Yeah pretty much, it's the struggle that anyone that creates something goes through.

Think it's high time I retired Chie-rock.

PK Gaming

100%.

Well, for what it's worth I follow both of your tumblr accounts. Heck, I even reblog some of the stuff you've posted!

The first. I started it on the PS2 but I'm afraid the system might be on its last legs, so I got the HD rerelease of the first 3 plus the two R&C Future games.

Sweet, such a fun series. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time was by far the best one. Have an... ahem... blast. Seriously though, really fun games. If you are feeling fatigued of the gameplay, since that is a ton of R&C, just go straight to ACiT.

There's also a download only R&C Future game, Quest for Booty. Never tried it though. I'm pretty sure Europe got it on disk.

tumblr_n0hwoah6rE1sh4ktzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n0hwoah6rE1sh4ktzo2_500.jpg

tumblr_n0hwoah6rE1sh4ktzo3_500.jpg

wmlk

Hiding secrets from everyone and learning to open up to people are pretty resonant themes, I feel. Particularly in Japan where there's words and concepts devoted to society repressing secrets and blemishes. "Memento Mori" is the more surprising one. P3 was about learning to deal with death and finding a reason to live.

Instead of "maxing" a social link, you'll be "breaking the chains" that make people feel immobilized. For every chain broken, you can fuse new personas. Gameplay wise it's the same, but thematically it's different.

The first. I started it on the PS2 but I'm afraid the system might be on its last legs, so I got the HD rerelease of the first 3 plus the two R&C Future games.

The PS2 ones are really good. Up Your Arsenal is probably my favourite.

EMT0

Banned

Is it to late to change my vote? Up Your Arsenal was the best Ratchet game ever.

Caladrius

Sweet, such a fun series. Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time was by far the best one. Have an... ahem... blast. Seriously though, really fun games. If you are feeling fatigued of the gameplay, since that is a ton of R&C, just go straight to ACiT.

There's also a download only R&C Future game, Quest for Booty. Never tried it though. I'm pretty sure Europe got it on disk.

I plan on alternating between the R&C series and other games. I never binge on one franchise.

The PS2 ones are really good. Up Your Arsenal is probably my favourite.
Is it to late to change my vote? Up Your Arsenal was the best Ratchet game ever.

I hear the first one is probably the weakest. (Though it's still enjoyable). I've seen the sequels and I can't wait to get to them.

Acid08

Banned
Finished up reading the Hashino interview, great stuff all around. P5 is going to be great. Really just want to see character designs.

I love their attitude towards P4D being that it's a showcase for Meguro's music. No doubt in my mind that the remixes will be great.

EMT0

Banned
I plan on alternating between the R&C series and other games. I never binge on one franchise.

I hear the first one is probably the weakest. (Though it's still enjoyable). I've seen the sequels and I can't wait to get to them.

This is probably nostalgia speaking but the first Ratchet felt like the most rewarding because it felt like it had more platforming and some more satisfying difficulty.

Smart.

Yeah one is the weakest. If you like it though, you will love the other two HD games

Valkyria Chronicles, that game is a gem. It's artistic style was absolutely gorgeous. I might even like its artistic style more than P3/4. Hopefully P5 will be able to capture Shigenori Soejima's style better.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I had a Tumblr once. I lost the password though.

Just finished Tales of Xilla. I liked it but the stuff you have to do to get a good NG+ is icky.
Also, Real Talk: Rowen>>>>>Jude (no bias here)>Elize=Alvin>Milla>>>>>>Leia

Also Also Persona 4 Golden playthrough #7, Valkyria Chronicles or Vanquish?

I'd go with Vanquish. It can be beaten in a day, especially on easy.

PK Gaming

Yu Narukami's P4U2 victory quotes have been fully translated!

tumblr_inline_n0i0h7Ovhd1sycmn8.png

Generic Quotes:

“That was a good battle…”

“Well, it looks like I’ve won.”

“Let’s end this.”

“A nice victory. Let’s do this again sometime.”

“It was a hard battle, but I have grown tremendously.” (Beef Bowl Challenge Quote!)

“I think we may be able to grow even stronger now.”

Character Specific Quotes:

VS Yosuke Hanamura
“As long as you’re with me, I can become stronger.
…Isn’t that right, Partner?” (Heterosexual life partners until the end of time)

VS Chie Satonaka
”I can see that the strength to protect others,
is right there, in your body.”

VS Yukiko Amagi
“And again, you handled it with
beauty and refinement, Yukiko.”

VS Kanji Tatsumi
-Generic- (WHY)

VS Teddie
“Have your skills improved? Looks like
you already don’t need a “Sensei” anymore.” (;_;)

VS Mitsuru Kirijo
“Huh… I always excepted an ‘Execution’ to feel a little worse…” (GG CrazyTank940)

VS Labrys
“Looks like you’ve found your own way now…
There’s not a hint of hesitance in your eyes.”

VS Elizabeth
”You really are a strange person…
It’s as if you could see to the very bottom of my heart…”

VS “Sho Minazuki”
“Had my way just been a little different,
I could have ended up becoming you.”

VS Shadow Yu
“I’ll face you as many times as have to.
Every time you stand in my way.”

Source

FluxWaveZ

Yu Narukami P4U2 victory quotes have been fully translated

Heh, Yu Narukami win quotes from three different sources. This one seems pretty complete, at least, though the translations themselves seem a bit worse than the other sources.

...Actually, all of those win quotes were covered already by the other sources and sounded better, too. Well, at least it sounds like the person these came from is planning to make complete ones out of the other characters and, again, it's nice to know which MUs have generic quotes.

It's pretty great, all things considered. We're damn lucky it wasn't another FPDC.

The menus are sleek(best in megaten, gives the persona games a run for it's money imo) and the dungeons are technically a step up from the PS2 megaten games but the character models suck and the art is extremely mediocre(Doi sucks). I don't think I have to mention 2d battles and old/guess demon designs. And what is FPDC?

Yeah, it can be incredibly frustrating, but in the end knowing at least someone enjoyed it is enough for me.

cj_iwakura

The menus are sleek(best in megaten, gives the persona games a run for it's money imo) and the dungeons are technically a step up from the PS2 megaten games but the character models suck and the art is extremely mediocre(Doi sucks). I don't think I have to mention 2d battles and old/guess demon designs. And what is FPDC?

First Person Dungeon Crawler. It's kind of miraculous they let the B-team do a full 3d game.

Yeah, it can be incredibly frustrating, but in the end knowing at least someone enjoyed it is enough for me.

This has always been my motto with my fan translations. No one commented on Shikigami, but I know at least 10 people played it. If one of them liked it, I'm happy.

First Person Dungeon Crawler. It's kind of miraculous they let the B-team do a full 3d game.

I honestly don't understand why they didn't just port the PS2 megaten game engine to 3DS so they could have 3D battles, and they should have used Kaneko art, or hell anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of freelance artist out there that could do something cool with megaten, they seemed to have no problem with outsourcing the demon designs so why not. The games presentation could have been somewhat salvaged if they didn't use Doi imo. Hell, Soejima is like the antithesis of mainline SMT but I'm sure he could have cooked up something decent, even if he was a bit busy with P5, he could have threw something out there, the environments would have been much better and the protagonist would actually have a decent design. I just can't believe they decided to go with that artist. And didn't team maniax make the devil summoner raidou games?

cj_iwakura

I honestly don't understand why they didn't just port the PS2 megaten game engine to 3DS so they could have 3D battles, and they should have used Kaneko art, or hell anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of freelance artist out there that could do something cool with megaten, they seemed to have no problem with outsourcing the demon designs so why not. The games presentation could have been somewhat salvaged if they didn't use Doi imo. Hell, I'm Soejima is like the antithesis of mainline SMT but I'm sure he could have cooked up something decent, even if he was a bit busy with P5, he could have threw something out there, the environments would have been much better and the protagonist would actually have a decent design. I just can't believe they decided to go with that artist. And didn't team maniax make the devil summoner raidou games?

That's kind of unfair. I really dig Doi's IV art. The demons is another story, but the samurai, the modern characters, they all look great.

Lunar15

The irony in that Hashino interview is that while he says Arena is a game based on Soejima's art, P4D is way closer to actually matching it.

Caladrius

Smart.

Yeah one is the weakest. If you like it though, you will love the other two HD games

Valkyria Chronicles, that game is a gem. It's artistic style was absolutely gorgeous. I might even like its artistic style more than P3/4. Hopefully P5 will be able to capture Shigenori Soejima's style better.

I've been torn on when to start Valkyria because I'm not especially big on SRPGs. I know it's reminiscent of Fire Emblem but I still feel a bit antsy getting into it.

I'd go with Vanquish. It can be beaten in a day, especially on easy.

Easy is for the weak-willed.

VS Teddie
“Have your skills improved? Looks like
you already don’t need a “Sensei” anymore.”

Teddie begins his road towards being a power bottom.

Agree with you on the menus, they are nice and sleek. 2d battles I'm okay with, though I think what dosen't help is that a lot of demons don't have really any animation to them and are either just standing and floating there,beyond YASO MAGATSUHI(which looks really freaky when moving). Though the issue with the artwork, I think we've done that one to death at this point, the artwork is just all over the place From really old to new, it dosen't help that the game becomes an art portfolio of his work over the years, instead of you know, hiring some people, including Kaneko, to redo a lot of the demon designs, even if they were older ones, they could of at least updated them into the now.

Top Bottom