• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

I was just preparing myself for the heathens that would try and declare it a bad one.
Smed, that was before he went dark side.
She's already my favorite P2 character and I haven't even played that game yet!
She an awesome character, though my favorite P2 characters besids Maya would be...
Baofu
th

The dude is a badass, what with his cool suit and his P2:EP voice makes him so awesome.
And he has one of the best lines in the game.(This image contains MAJOR SPOILERS for the end of the game. So view at your own risk)

And...
Ulala
1149424-persona2_ulala.png

She is just such a fun character to be around, and she is there to help lighten the mood when it gets down in EP.
But also caring of Maya and rest of the team. And always though that she and Baofu made an awesome duo together.

And she gives us one of the most hilarious lines in all of the Persona games...
bsDzFvr.jpg

Musolf815

Interesting P4A2 tidbit that someone pointed out:

When a character wins, they are illuminated with a P-1 Climax spotlight and confetti starts falling everywhere while the winning character gets photographed a bunch with flashing cameras. Every character has this happen, except for Sho and Persona Sho. When they win, nothing happens and it just fades to black.

I wonder what that could mean...it's kinda eerie...

FluxWaveZ

I wonder what that could mean...it's kinda eerie...

In P4A, it was the same for every character except for Shadow Labrys. Even the Shadows in P4A2 have the confetti and everything going on when they win. I guess it means that the ones behind the tournaments don't have fanfare going on for themselves when they beat someone up, heh.

Gazoinks

Oh my god Yu's popped collar is OUT OF CONTROL in the anime.

BhqWC.jpg

Finally getting around to watching the Best of Endurance Run videos. Good stuff. "You never buy me cotton candy, all you do is smoke and hold a jacket!" Makes me want to play Golden more than I already do. :p

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Whew, finally translated those last two pages of the Hashino interview with the Persona magazine. Basically, if you know where to find the first set, you'll know where to look for the second. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong by saying that. I mention it on the post proper, but a GAF lurker volunteered to do the image cleanup for those two pages so I could focus on translating. I don't know your GAF name, but thank you Naotolan, you kind duder. You stepped up to the plate when I didn't even think there was one to step up to to begin with. :)

Anyway, for these other two pages of the interview, Hashino talks about the other games that they announced along with Persona 5. I actually enjoyed translating those bits even more than what I did for the Persona 5 portion since it sheds some light on the reasoning behind why some of these games exist. And the guy just comes across to me as earnest in Japanese. That makes my life as a translator that much easier.

Whew, finally translated those last two pages of the Hashino interview with the Persona magazine. Basically, if you know where to find the first set, you'll know where to look for the second. Hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong by saying that. I mention it on the post proper, but a GAF lurker volunteered to do the image cleanup for those two pages so I could focus on translating. I don't know your GAF name, but thank you Naotolan, you kind duder. You stepped up to the plate when I didn't even think there was one to step up to to begin with. :)

Awesome, I look forward to reading it during my lunch break!

And the guy just comes across to me as earnest in Japanese. That makes my life as a translator that much easier.

Bonus!

Dantis

DUDE. Just reading your translation (It's great! Thanks!) and there's a really interesting bit about Arena 2:

To go back to the subject of collaborations for a moment, for Persona 4: The Ultimate Ultra Suplex Hold, there's going to be a lot of story content for the home version, isn't there?

After the first game was released to great reviews, we asked Arc to go ahead and make one more game with us and one of the reasons is so that we could give this storyline some proper closure and tie everything up. We could keep going from there if we really wanted to, but if we ever go in that direction, it'll likely be part of a new story altogether.

Also, when I was searching for the translation, I found out that Hashino was the scenario adviser on Persona x Detective. Whelp.

i'm a terrible rebel

hi deadpool. ftr tanks are boring and take forever to kill.
your record a poop, mister daki :p
You're lucky FGW doesn't know your True Self, Smedwicks.

It's just that he denied that his waifu's Rise there
Oh please, he denies her everywhere, even in game! He's all about that fishing shizz anyways :p

The Collar Arcana has evolved into The Universe arcana

Yeah, Persona 2 has a ton of great character designs. You can thank Soejima for that, his ingame character portraits were the stuff of dreams

That would be wrong, Soejima did draw the characters in game, but the character designs are all Kaneko man.

DUDE. Just reading your translation (It's great! Thanks!) and there's a really interesting bit about Arena 2:

Also, when I was searching for the translation, I found out that Hashino was the scenario adviser on Persona x Detective. Whelp.

That probably means, they showed Hashino the Soejima cover and Hashino nodded: "Yep, thats Naoto all right."

Setsu00

That would be wrong, Soejima did draw the characters in game, but the character designs are all Kaneko man.

That is incorrect. Soejima is responsible for the majority of the side characters like Anna (Atlus even posted a piece of concept art that Soejima drew on the blog for Persona 2). By the way, Soejima also created Seven Sisters High and the P2 version of Philemon's realm. Source: Persona World Guidance book

That probably means, they showed Hashino the Soejima cover and Hashino nodded: "Yep, thats Naoto all right."

I believe that this actually means that the book's concepts and characters were penned by Hashino. After all, they are very Hashino-esque. The actual story is probably the work of Yuichiro Tanaka (Persona series headwriter) and Natsuki Mamiya.

FluxWaveZ

DUDE. Just reading your translation (It's great! Thanks!) and there's a really interesting bit about Arena 2

Yeah, that is interesting. Even though P4A2 is branded as the one to end the saga, which I presume means the story from P4 to P4A to P4A2, all involving the Midnight Channel, he's not immediately dismissing a sequel to the game and, in fact, considering how they would handle its story.

This might mean P4A2 will have a satisfying ending and story as a whole, like I'm hoping it will, if they won't intentionally leave dumb cliffhangers for the sake of a sequel. "Proper closure" and "tying everything up nicely" sounds pretty good to me.

Given Yuichiro Tanaka's comments in the P4A art book, I would expect an eventual sequel to P4A2 if its console release is a great success like its predecessor was.

Setsu00

This might mean P4A2 will have a satisfying ending and story as a whole, like I'm hoping it will, if they won't intentionally leave dumb cliffhangers for the sake of a sequel. "Proper closure" and "tying everything up nicely" sounds pretty good to me..

I hope this also refers to Elizabeth and her quest
to save Minato/Makoto's soul.
I would rather not have them drag this plot point into Persona 5 considering that Elizabeth's story might actually fit into the thematic context of freedom and social pressure.

That is incorrect. Soejima is responsible for the majority of the side characters like Anna (Atlus even posted a piece of concept art that Soejima drew on the blog for Persona 2). By the way, Soejima also created Seven Sisters High and the P2 version of Philemon's realm. Source: Persona World Guidance book

I believe that this actually means that the book's concepts and characters were penned by Hashino. After all, they are very Hashino-esque. The actual story is probably the work of Yuichiro Tanaka (Persona series headwriter) and Natsuki Mamiya.

Huh, you learn something new every day! Popular fan conceptions being shattered left and right! On the other hand, this means Soejima was responsible for that crappy first dungeon objective? Soejima pls

FluxWaveZ

I hope this also refers to Elizabeth and her quest
to save Minato/Makoto's soul.
I would rather not have them drag this plot point into Persona 5 considering that Elizabeth's story might actually fit into the thematic context of freedom and social pressure.

It'd be interesting seeing this subplot going from The Answer, to P4 to P4A finally resolved in P4A2. I think it's a good place to resolve it, instead of a full blown RPG that will have other things as its focus. Persona Q wouldn't work because of the timeline, either.

Dantis

Yeah, that is interesting. Even though P4A2 is branded as the one to end the saga, which I presume means the story from P4 to P4A to P4A2, all involving the Midnight Channel, he's not immediately dismissing a sequel to the game and, in fact, considering how they would handle its story.

This might mean P4A2 will have a satisfying ending and story as a whole, like I'm hoping it will, if they won't intentionally leave dumb cliffhangers for the sake of a sequel. "Proper closure" and "tying everything up nicely" sounds pretty good to me.

Given Yuichiro Tanaka's comments in the P4A art book, I would expect an eventual sequel to P4A2 if its console release is a great success like its predecessor was.

Well, it looks like it won't be a sequel to Arena, at least. I'd expect a P5 fighter or something, still made by Arc and using similar mechanics.

Huh, you learn something new every day! Popular fan conceptions being shattered left and right! On the other hand, this means Soejima was responsible for that crappy first dungeon objective? Soejima pls

He did P1 and Soul Hackers side characters too.

I haven't actually read the book, but I'm not sure about it being Hashino-esque. I heard that the plot is teeeeeeeerrible.

PK Gaming

Oh snap!

I take it back; even in the late 90s, Soejima was drawing awesome character designs.

I haven't actually read the book, but I'm not sure about it being Hashino-esque. I heard that the plot is teeeeeeeerrible.

The plot isn't too bad, it's what they use to fill in-between the plot points that's terrible.

“It’s true. I’m not lying. You’re really stylish and your bust is even bigger than mine!”

“...I-it’s not that I wished for it to become this big. I would have preferred being about your size, Kujikawa-san.”

“Hey, what’s that? Are you trying to pick a fight with me?”

He did P1 and Soul Hackers side characters too.

I knew he did the Soul Hackers side people, but I didn't know about P1 and P2.

The plot is really dumb. Oh and the manga version decided to randomly show us Naoto's boobs for some reason.

Oh dear.

I think that about captures the essence of it.

tumblr_n0h9k6e4Be1t46pjso1_400.png

"like Kujikawa-san, who had found her calling as an idol, or like Tatsumi-kun, who had decided that nothing compared to making crocheted animals.

“I will take this case.”

"Because I was – the detective, Naoto Shirogane."

Sophia

I read the page with Dantis having an Aigis avatar, refresh it, and suddenly he's got a Naoto avatar....

Also, I dun care who penned it. Naoto novel sucks and everyone should pretend it doesn't exist. >.<

I read the page with Dantis having an Aigis avatar, refresh it, and suddenly he's got a Naoto avatar....

Also, I dun care who penned it. Naoto novel sucks and everyone should pretend it doesn't exist. >.<

I would live it if they reused that Kyoji Kuzunoha tribute outfit somewhere else though

Top Bottom