• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
The irony in that Hashino interview is that while he says Arena is a game based on Soejima's art, P4D is way closer to actually matching it.
Well Arena is amazing for showing off Soejima's designs with fast, fluid, and colorful. Plus the story stuff is a straight up Soejima showcase.

That's kind of unfair. I really dig Doi's IV art. The demons is another story, but the samurai, the modern characters, they all look great.

I think Doi is fine but he just isn't fit for a mainline SMT game imo, I get that they weren't trying to make a interesting setting like nocturne and was mostly paying homage to SMT 1/2 but SMT 1/2(or at least the PS1 versions did, I'm not sure if the OG SNES versions used Kaneko's gothic art style) looked pretty cool. SMT IV looks extremely bland to me with maybe one (somewhat) memorable character design. The actual art direction is fine but the character designs and environment art are just terrible. They could have had Kaneko or Soejima do the design but have Doi redraw everything and I would have been just fine with that.

Kazzy

Because I'm all for equality:

PHWWpEd.png
JZBrqNn.png

OlTL1ZB.png
2DhCGQl.png

Agree with you on the menus, they are nice and sleek. 2d battles I'm okay with, though I think what dosen't help is that a lot of demons don't have really any animation to them and are either just standing and floating there,beyond YASO MAGATSUHI(which looks really freaky when moving). Though the issue with the artwork, I think we've done that one to death at this point, the artwork is just all over the place From really old to new, it dosen't help that the game becomes an art portfolio of his work over the years, instead of you know, hiring some people, including Kaneko, to redo a lot of the demon designs, even if they were older ones, they could of at least updated them into the now.

They went with 2D battles and the sprites don't even look good, I mean WTF. It looks like they literally copy and pasted strange journey's demon models. I have a theory about Persona 5 (and possibly another new megaten ip) will use entirely new Demon designs and Kaneko was busy with that, which is why he didn't even do SMT IV's demon designs.

Soriku

I had a Tumblr once. I lost the password though.

Just finished Tales of Xilla. I liked it but the stuff you have to do to get a good NG+ is icky.
Also, Real Talk: Rowen>>>>>Jude (no bias here)>Elize=Alvin>Milla>>>>>>Leia

Also Also Persona 4 Golden playthrough #7, Valkyria Chronicles or Vanquish?

Alvin > Jude > Rowen = Leia > Elize > Milla

Play VC.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bravely Default's almost here!

Been avoiding nearly all media/coverage/videos/demos so I can go in pretty much blind.

I've been torn on when to start Valkyria because I'm not especially big on SRPGs. I know it's reminiscent of Fire Emblem but I still feel a bit antsy getting into it.

I can understand that feeling. Once it gets its claws into you, your gonna wanna keep playing. At least that was my experience with it.

So I bought P4A a few days ago and I've been playing through the story mode. Labrys' story is so depressing goddamn. Also the entire P4 cast is full of total goobers. Yosuke is bro-tier but then Chie and Yukiko just totally suck. Also all these
"I'm still suffering from the thing I thought I conquered months ago so I must have made this tournament to escape from my problems" stories just seem like Junpei's need-to-fight-to-feel-important arc on repeat.

Also I lol'd at how (Akihiko story)
he and Mitsuru figure out the manipulation of their companions within 2 seconds of talking, meanwhile the P4 crew sans Yu still don't know what's going on after 3 fights. I know they haven't been together/through as much, but its still pretty funny.

Caladrius

So I bought P4A a few days ago and I've been playing through the story mode. Labrys' story is so depressing goddamn. Also the entire P4 cast is full of total goobers. Yosuke is bro-tier but then Chie and Yukiko just totally suck. Also all these
"I'm still suffering from the thing I thought I conquered months ago so I must have made this tournament to escape from my problems" stories just seem like Junpei's need-to-fight-to-feel-important arc on repeat.

The game really doesn't do the P4 cast justice. The characters were Flanderized to hell, and as you said the game tried to make circular character development when there was no need to. They're far better for the most part in their home game.

The game really doesn't do the P4 cast justice. The characters were Flanderized to hell, and as you said the game tried to make circular character development when there was no need to. They're far better for the most part in their home game.

I'm going to start up P4 again relatively soon (never beat it) so maybe I'll be a little more kind to them than I have in recent memory. But I think the cast, especially compared to the ones in P3, have limitations when it comes to how far their development/story arcs can go, especially when remaining in a high school setting. Of course, P3 has the plot point of (ending spoilers)
a dead MC, which can lead to many interesting scenarios/reactions.

Not saying its a bad thing however, its the price one has to pay when one wants a cast of relatively well-adjusted characters and a positive, fun atmosphere rather than angst angst angst doom doom doom ala P3.

wmlk

The transition to that part was awful. Or I guess I should say the lack of any kind of transition.

I thought that was the best part. If they showed that it was his mind from the very beginning then it would be way too obvious.

Top Bottom