• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

What time is it? It's time for another hypothetical Shadow of course.

Here's Shadow Ai. I apologize in advance.
OhnavzW.png

Sometimes I like subtlety. This is not one of those times.

For those of you who have missed the earlier ones:
Shadow Saki
Shadow Yamano
Shadow Morooka

As always, splendid work here, Mamba! I look forward to your next piece more and more! :D

Sophia

Pepsiman's translation is starting to hit all around the internet. I've seen quite a few sites pick up on it. At least the better ones were nice enough to attribute her.

FluxWaveZ

Pepsiman's translation is starting to hit all around the internet. I've seen quite a few sites pick up on it. At least the better ones were nice enough to attribute her.

On the one hand, dissemination of information is a good thing. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder where they were when the magazine had first come out.

Sophia

On the one hand, dissemination of information is a good thing. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder where they were when the magazine had first come out.

Yeah it's that second part that bugs me. Especially from sites like Siliconeria who are usually on top of this stuff. If she hadn't translated it, the information may have been lost to us fans on the English speaking side.

Levito

Banned
Yeah it's that second part that bugs me. Especially from sites like Siliconeria who are usually on top of this stuff. If she hadn't translated it, the information may have been lost to us fans on the English speaking side.

Yeah, sites not crediting her are being mighty unprofessional. It happens though, on RoH we've broke news first, only to not be credited by bigger sites. Doesn't happen often, but it's REALLY frustrating when it does.

Hell, 95% of industry news it posted on GAF first, and a lot of the time sites never source the threads or the users that uncovered the news.

Sophia

Yeah, sites not crediting her are being mighty unprofessional. It happens though, on RoH we've broke news first, only to not be credited by bigger sites. Doesn't happen often, but it's REALLY frustrating when it does.

Hell, 95% of industry news it posted on GAF first, and a lot of the time sites never source the threads or the users that uncovered the news.

It's not the issue of crediting her. Most of the major sites have done that. Which is good. It's the issue of the information being a month old and it totally got ignored until someone went above and beyond to get it.

Levito

Banned
It's not the issue of crediting her. Most of the major sites have done that. Which is good. It's the issue of the information being a month old and it totally got ignored until someone went above and beyond to get it.

Unfortunately the nature of a lot of games journalism. Despite Persona 5 being a pretty large title at this point, I think a lot of sites either don't have staff on had capable of translating, or they know fans will do it regardless, so they're willing to wait. They'll get the hits all the same, but don't need to pay for someone to do the actual translating.

Nachos

I've been gone for a little more than a week, and you guys are already at page 39? I don't think I can trudge through all if this, but did I miss anything?

I apologise if I was too snarky and came across as a dick.

My point is that I don't think they're going to not put a project forwards on the basis of story, particularly with how far they've shown they're willing to stretch it.

No, I should be apologizing, too. I was being a bit confrontational myself. Still, I guess I'm just hoping that they don't go too overboard with merchandising all of this. Atlus is capable of more than just Persona, so I just think it'd be a shame if they entirely became a "Persona machine." I doubt that, creatively, they wouldn't want that, though I'm sure it's not entirely their say.

Dantis

I think I had the artist's equivalent of writer's block today. Trying to draw Yukiko in a FeMC style outfit, and I spent an hour and got basically nowhere. The figure is down, but the face is miles from where I'd like it to be after that time.

Speaking of this, GamesRadar wrote an article called something like "What we know about Persona 5 so far", which basically ripped everything from what Flux had posted on GAF.

Frustrating stuff, for sure.

I've been gone for a little more than a week, and you guys are already at page 39? I don't think I can trudge through all if this, but did I miss anything?

No, I should be apologizing, too. I was being a bit confrontational myself. Still, I guess I'm just hoping that they don't go too overboard with merchandising all of this. Atlus is capable of more than just Persona, so I just think it'd be a shame if they entirely became a "Persona machine." I doubt that, creatively, they wouldn't want that, though I'm sure it's not entirely their say.

This is actually a completely valid point, and it seems like Hashino actually has a lot of say in what gets developed. He talked about pitching Catherine in an interview, and said they threw together a prototype using Yukiko moving blocks and Soejima drew the picture of Catherine with her legs open and Vincent's head between them to catch the higher-ups' attention, haha. He also said something that basically boils down to "We couldn't do a game as weird as this if we weren't at Atlus".

Sophia

the reason no one reported on it in the first place is because it doesn't actually say anything of substance.

It is actually quite an interesting look into Katsura Hashino's philosophy regarding games. I'm glad it was translated because it gives us a better idea of what kind of game Persona 5 (and Atlus games in general) will be like.

Gazoinks

It is actually quite an interesting look into Katsura Hashino's philosophy regarding games. I'm glad it was translated because it gives us a better idea of what kind of game Persona 5 (and Atlus games in general) will be like.

Yeah, I actually found it pretty interesting. It's not like "Woo this is P5 right here guys", but I don't know much about Hashino as a person, so I thought learning about his philosophy and where he wants to take the game was really cool.

PK Gaming

tumblr_inline_n0jkktyBIg1qhaskl.jpg

I liked how he was really smart, but struggled in school because he didn't have the willpower to study. That really resonated with me.

tumblr_inline_n0jkliZCdT1qhaskl.jpg

Is the police officer sexually confused, or is Yu that handsome.

You be the judge.

It really doesn't. "Fans of P3 and P4 will feel right at home, but it'll be a totally new and unique spin" "The characters (in this JRPG) have a lot of will power and that will help them achieve their goals" and "The teaser trailer we announced the game with will be thematically appropriate."

Though many "LOLs" at the "people should play this XX hour video game to learn how to engage with the real world" parts.

There was an article about Felica Day's hair on Kotaku recently.

i don't know what either of those things are.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of this, GamesRadar wrote an article called something like "What we know about Persona 5 so far", which basically ripped everything from what Flux had posted on GAF.

Huh... Well, guess I was paying pretty close attention to any and all potential mention of the game and posting about it a bunch before its confirmation.

Heh, that made me go back to my notes and see that Hashino had warned that "the wait until the game’s release would be lengthy" back in August 31, 2011, referring to P5. It's gonna be more than three years later, so I guess he wasn't wrong.

It really doesn't. "Fans of P3 and P4 will feel right at home, but it'll be a totally new and unique spin" "The characters (in this JRPG) have a lot of will power and that will help them achieve their goals" and "The teaser trailer we announced the game with will be thematically appropriate."

Though many "LOLs" at the "people should play this XX hour video game to learn how to engage with the real world" parts.

Sorry, but no concrete information about Persona 5 ≠ no substantial information. Learning about the development process and philosophy behind Persona 5 is extremely interesting information.

Might not be for you, but that doesn't mean the information contained in the interview is not of substance.

Sorry, but no concrete information about Persona 5 ≠ no substantial information. Learning about the development process and philosophy behind Persona 5 is extremely interesting information.

Might not be for you, but that doesn't mean the information contained in the interview is not of substance.

Maybe the philosophy would be more interesting if it were different from the rest of the series, but right now it's pretty much exactly inline with the "Persona" brand, and maybe the "development process" bits would be considered substantial if they went beyond "we will be incorporating things we've learned from previous projects into our new project."

(This is ignoring that most of this is just rehashed and reworded from that Dengeki article that came out right after the stream back in November)

FluxWaveZ

Maybe the philosophy would be more interesting if it were different from the rest of the series, but right now it's pretty much exactly inline with the "Persona" brand, and maybe the "development process" bits would be considered substantial if they went beyond "we will be incorporating things we've learned from previous projects into our new project."

(This is ignoring that most of this is just rehashed and reworded from that Dengeki article that came out right after the stream back in November)

When Hashino explicitly mentions how he wants to convey freedom differently than in P3 and P4?

Again, can't agree. I saw the summary translation of what was in the Dengeki article, and this was more in-depth.

He's supposed to be a bulldog, though I guess it doesn't come across that well without a bulldog face.

Awww man I look like a big ol' dummy don't I? Either way all you're stuff is stupendous, keep up the good work mate!

On an unrelated note: CanadaGAF! I need you're help, I'm going to Toronto in a few weeks, and I know there's a few of you that live in the area, what are some good places to get some college-budget grub around University of Toronto/some cool landmarks of the city around the same area?

On a slightly-belated note: Happy birthday Gazoinks, may your days be prosperous and you're nights filled with merriment!

Kazzy

Good Sayaka appreciation in this thread. My favorite character also, but she seems weirdly underrated among general viewers.

The Mami and Homura votes are strong.

But yeah, Madoka succeeds because it manages to confound your expectations - whether that be as a preexisting Shoujo watcher, or as someone who finds it completely uninitiated.

Awww man I look like a big ol' dummy don't I? Either way all you're stuff is stupendous, keep up the good work mate!

On an unrelated note: CanadaGAF! I need you're help, I'm going to Toronto in a few weeks, and I know there's a few of you that live in the area, what are some good places to get some college-budget grub around University of Toronto/some cool landmarks of the city around the same area?

On a slightly-belated note: Happy birthday Gazoinks, may your days be prosperous and you're nights filled with merriment!

When are you coming down? If it's not during my reading week, then I might be able to give you a personal tour!

Good places to eat in that area would probably be The Green Room and Japango. If you have a bit of cash to spare, then I'd definitely check out Opus as well.

And if you leave here without checking out the CN Tower and the Royal Ontario Museum, then ya dun goofed >:O

FluxWaveZ

Every Persona game conveys "Freedom" in its own way though? His summary of "freedom" in P3 and P4 really seems to be pretty specific to P4.

I don't know about that. The whole Wild Card thing was about gathering the power of friendship to overcome one's obstacles, which was pretty much the same in P3 as it was in P4. "Bonds" are as much a presence concerning the freedom he speaks of in P3 as it is in P4.

I don't know about that. The whole Wild Card thing was about gathering the power of friendship to overcome one's obstacles, which was pretty much the same in P3 as it was in P4. "Bonds" are as much a presence concerning the freedom he speaks of in P3 as it is in P4.

So do you believe P5 will lack SLink/SLink-like systems where you form relationships with other characters?

Kotaku is garbage, though. As low as the perception of games journalism is, I can't help but think sites of that ilk only serve to reaffirm that notion.

How else am I supposed to get the latest and best gaming news!?

So do you believe P5 will lack SLink/SLink-like systems where you form relationships with other characters?

I'm hoping they use a different system, but the original premise will stay the same.

Levito

Banned
Honestly, it's interesting hearing anything from the development side of things. Hope there's some substantial news one of these days though.

Madoka succeeds because it manages to confound your expectations - whether that be as a preexisting Shoujo watcher, or as someone who finds it completely uninitiated.

Can't say I'm familiar with Shoujo myself, outside of watch Sailor Moon when I was a kid. I did however, have a lot of pre-conceived notions about it. All of which were show down pretty quickly.

I tried to make it on tumblr, but then someone called me a cis-scum murderer because I enjoy meat lovers pizza.

Top Bottom