• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Meia

Well...finally broke down and got Persona 4 for my new Vita (after already getting a slew of other "essential" titles).

My first Persona game and my first JRPG in a long, LONG ass time. (I can't remember the last JRPG I played and finished outside of FFIV or Chrono Trigger).

$20 from the PSN store was too good of a price to pass up given the insanely positive word of mouth and reviews.

You'd better be right about this one, PersonaGAF. I'm trusting you.

Well, the thing about Persona 4 is many people who play it that don't even like JRPGs wind up loving the game.

I'll also say that the reasons why I put FF IV and CT up near the top of my personal list(right near FF VI) is because characters make the RPG. Persona 4, to me, is still the best overall cast of any RPG I've played, and this says a lot.

To the other one, yeah spoiler tag everything P4 related. The community is very good at doing so though, usually even on things that may be borderline. Shit, people here are great spoiler tagging the first couple persona games, which are decades old now. :p

tumblr_n0kw5f1OpX1t46pjso1_500.jpg

I don't recognise the girl, I assume it's meant to be a gender swap thing.

Dantis

I'd never realised that Naoto spoke completely like a woman in Arena. Not sure if it's deliberate, but it's interesting either way.

tumblr_n0kw5f1OpX1t46pjso1_500.jpg

I don't recognise the girl, I assume it's meant to be a gender swap thing.

Looks like a female Narukami, yeah. Pretty neat, though I'm not sure why they have cards in their mouths.

Jonnax

I'd never realised that Naoto spoke completely like a woman in Arena. Not sure if it's deliberate, but it's interesting either way.

Since they mention Chie wanting to become a police officer it seems the Audio Dramas are canon. There's a scene in the first disc where Naoto wears a skirt without feeling anything odd about it. Character development :D

Meia

Since they mention Chie wanting to become a police officer it seems the Audio Dramas are canon. There's a scene in the first disc where Naoto wears a skirt without feeling anything odd about it. Character development :D

I'm actually almost 100% sure she mentions that on the very last day of the game when you go see her, actually.

Caladrius

Wait it's your birthday? If so I am kneeling before my birthday master across the internet
Happy Birthday!

No! Get back! It's still my birthday for two hours in PST!
Happy birthday. :D
Happy birthmas!

Happy Birthday to you both!!!

I'm not sure whose birthdays I might have missed, so I'll just wish EVERYONE a happy birthday, even if it's not remotely close for some people. I just hope that today proves to be a rich and fulfilling day for everyone (sorry for not wishing you one yesterday, Gazoinks).

Happy birthday Caladrius!

Happy Birthday! :D

Happy Birthday!

Thank ye verily, friends!

I would kneel, but I know your game!

Not that kind of kneel!

kewlmyc

The only thing I will ever be able to remember about Fuuka is one of those videos in FES,
The vibrator one.
I know that's terrible but the execution of that gets me every time.

Also KNEEL BEFORE YOUR BIRTHDAY MASTER!

Happy birthday, enjoy it.

Jonnax

I'm actually almost 100% sure she mentions that on the very last day of the game when you go see her, actually.

Ah, I think I remember that as well but was that exclusive to Golden? Because the drama cd came after the original ps2 game.

Dantis

Yup. That part of the CD is something I referenced last week in here. It's why I dislike all the fanart with her blushing and looking awkward. Seems off and creepy to me.

It's cool that they added it in Arena. They added some similar stuff in Golden too:
Her midwinter outfits are much more feminine than her earlier stuff. Because of the way it's placed in the story, it seems like she starts to dress more and more like a girl as time passes until the epilogue when she is literally dressed like a normal girl.

That's probably the most character development in all of Arena, ho hum!

Shengar

Reading few pages back, and there is some discussion regarding interview translation on Persona. It seems I missed, could somebody give the link?
======
This is outrageous!
karma-deskslam.gif

30 pages, and not a single picture of FeMC?! Why?
Let me grace this thread with blessings that even Metatron couldn't handle.

Well, the thing about Persona 4 is many people who play it that don't even like JRPGs wind up loving the game.

I'll also say that the reasons why I put FF IV and CT up near the top of my personal list(right near FF VI) is because characters make the RPG. Persona 4, to me, is still the best overall cast of any RPG I've played, and this says a lot.

The exact same reasons for me why FFIV and CT are in my all-time favourite games list. Characters and a solid story are everything for me.

Caladrius

Happy birthday, enjoy it.

Happy birthday my man!

Happy Birthday Caladrious. Hope you had a cracking day.

happy birdday

Hey, another birthday! Happy birthday, man!

Also, obligatory:
PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

It's good that he's counting because I tend to forget.

Happy birthday, Caladri-chan. You doin' anything special today?

Getting some ice cream and then heading out to a social gathering. I haven't been out of the house in months. I'm trying to see if I can visit one of my friends next week (he lives several hours away.)

YEEEEAAAH, CALADRIUS--IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY
WITH LIMP BIZKIT ROCKIN' THE SET
GIVE YOUR WAIFU SOMETHIN' TO BREAK

NO I WANTED ORIGIN WHHHYYYYYYYY

If/When I get to EVO, remind me to bring a step-ladder so I can slap you.

P.S. happy birthday Cal.

I need to hear the story behind this.

Happy birthday man
It isn't much but here, I found this mini image dump for you.
I'd say that's a mighty fine gif dump.

--

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

PersonaGAF is indeed family.

It's good that he's counting because I tend to forget.

Getting some ice cream and then heading out to a social gathering. I haven't been out of the house in months. I'm trying to see if I can visit one of my friends next week (he lives several hours away.)

NO I WANTED ORIGIN WHHHYYYYYYYY

I need to hear the story behind this.

I'd say that's a mighty fine gif dump.

--

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

PersonaGAF is indeed family.

My birthday wishes aren't good enough rip

:p

Nachos

Okay, so I finally best
Rise's
dungeon in P4G. That boss was pretty easy. Especially the latter part. So predictable. was only level 28 too.

So... A lot of choices.
I've been using Yukiko, Chie and Kanji. Are either of Rise or Teddy any good?

Teddie is going to become your go-to ice caster, since Chie doesn't have a good magic stat and doesn't naturally learn anything other than mabufu and bufula. Basically think of him as a cross between Yukiko and Yosuke. Even Kanji, who learns the higher tier electricity skills, suffers from a low magic stat, too, meaning that it's only good for knockdown. It's even less essential in his case, though, as in Golden, he learns an element-less skill specifically made for knocking down all enemies.

Just beat Elizabeth's story and all this game does is have me concerned about how they're going to handle Yukari and Junpei P4A2. The writing was just very poor all around. While the Shadow Operatives definitely seems plausible, I can't help but feel like they are some dumb fanfiction creation. Not to mention that they're going to have to come up with some excuse in P5 as for why they aren't going to get involved (if it is going to be truly stand alone). It already doesn't make sense that they weren't involved in P4 now that it is known that they were aware some stuff was going down in Inaba.

I basically get the impression that Atlus doesn't really know how to do expand upon their characters in sequels that well. The Answer wasn't that great but at least it had an actual basis for existing. This game needed more Akihiko-like characters that have fully acknowledged themselves and their problems/weaknesses, instead of treading old ground. I'll be annoyed if Junpei still has self-worth/confidence issues because that would be basically undoing his development in P3. Yukari's case is a little different, especially if
the "one true vessel" is Makoto or Elizabeth succeeds in releasing him.
Of course I'll still have to buy the game day one to see if that happens.

Happy Birthday Caladrius!

Yup. That part of the CD is something I referenced last week in here. It's why I dislike all the fanart with her blushing and looking awkward. Seems off and creepy to me.

Right?! I know that's because people only
have that Social Link scene as a reference, but still. And I'm not really a fan of her romance path either, it's rather... ehh.

It's cool that they added it in Arena. They added some similar stuff in Golden too:
Her midwinter outfits are much more feminine than her earlier stuff. Because of the way it's placed in the story, it seems like she starts to dress more and more like a girl as time passes until the epilogue when she is literally dressed like a normal girl.

That's probably the most character development in all of Arena, ho hum!

I wonder if that could be the cause of some influence by Mitsuru's part, you know in Arena how Naoto's all like "I am no match for her" and stuff, maybe seeing how Mitsuru deals with things has also helped in her development.

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Went back and forth on whether she should be depicted as she was or as she would have been. I decided making her look young was more depressing, like her Shadow is tainting her fond memories, so I went with it.

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Went back and forth on whether she should be depicted as she was or as she would have been. I decided making her look young was more depressing, like her Shadow is tainting her fond memories, so I went with it.

Oh God It's Slender man!

Seriously though, fantastic art man. Keep it up.

kewlmyc

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

I really, really like this one. Great job.

Can't help but see Slenderman though.

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Very nice! Hurry up and finish P3, Mamba-- I want to see Yukari and Junpei's shadow monsters! XD

I would like to remind people that we are already 1/5 of the way through the thread.

Oof, sorry.

Nah, don't worry about it man. Sorry for coming off poorly :( Hope you're having a good birthday!

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Knocking it out of the park again. Love all the designs you've come up with!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Very nice! Hurry up and finish P3, Mamba-- I want to see Yukari and Junpei's shadow monsters! XD

I bet Shadow Narukami would just be infinite swag (although I think there already was one, wasn't there? Like in the anime?)

Shadow Hisano:
dKdisrn.png

Awesome stuff one of my favorite social links in the series...also...SLENDERMAN!!!

Thanks for the comments again.

Fair warning TrueSelf--it took me a whole month to beat Persona 4, so you might be waiting a while on those.

Top Bottom