• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gazoinks

Edit: The Super Inaba Sisters:
1530295m.jpg

Relevant?

I have a tendency to do that during events like E3 where I'm paying attention to a live conference while also trying to pay attention to reactions and media surrounding said conference.

I feel you buddy. Call me odd, but part of the reason I enjoy watching E3 coverage and EVO, is for the crowd reaction. Be it the audible moans and cheers from the video game press during E3 conferences, or the palpable hype of the EVO crowd.

I don't know what I just witnessed...
Is there a female version of the second video? One with Naoto, Yukiko, Chie, and Rise.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Actually, do you have any tips for someone who might be interested in editing for translated works? I looked into it a little bit, and was able to find hardly anything, save for the Digital Manga Guild, which...Yeah. I assume (or least hope) that most school would have some sort of resources for help landing a job, but working towards a math major myself has obviously made them a bit inaccessible for me.

Apologies for another late-ish response. Been running around getting stuff taken care of for my Japanese interview next week and only now finally have some down time. What sort of editing are we talking about here and for what medium, though? Like just visual editing of digital images? Pretty much everything I know in that area is self-taught through a lot of trial and error and the final results definitely aren't as smooth as someone with proper artistic chops.

Still, for fun, I decided to try making my own versions of the lines you posted, based off the general ideas behind each one you got out of them and while also adhering to a more strict character count. What do you think?

The only respect you'll be paid in the game:
"As you parlay your new cohorts, the database shall update as new events transpire."
(This seems like it would have the most potential for sounding stilted without any other lines to Taylor to a uniform tone.)

Localized game lines can obviously vary pretty wildly depending on a bunch of different technical factors, although for a game like Dangan Ronpa, there tends to be a lot of empty space left over in the data image file that, when hacked correctly, can be tapped into to overcome a lot of space issues. That almost certainly had to happen with the Zetsubou Translation. Usually when I'm working in mediums with space constraints like manga, I'll draft up a translation with no length constrictions just so I can give myself a general idea of what I want the final product to look like and then hash out the finalized line once I can actually see what the text looks like in the physical space of where the dialog itself is. So the lengthiness of a lot of what I wrote is less because that would be what I'd definitely want to go with so much as I prefer to trim down too much material rather than build up from too little when I'm drafting.

Anyway, feedback time. This would be a solid way and would probably plausibly fit more easily within the dialog box than my original line. The one issue I really have with it is that the Japanese line emphasizes getting closer to the other characters, specifically referring to it as getting more intimate, so I would still attempt to maintain that aspect in a finalized line. Otherwise your version is nice and concise while still maintain the uppity tone. :)

Serial Killer:
"'Si Riyah Cihlar'? What kinda name is that?! Czech?"

(I tried to keep the intent behind using the katakana by making a real name out of foreign homophones.)

This does an impressive job of actually maintaining the joke. I'd have to go back through that opening part of the game to make sure there's not some greater context to how Monokuma's line originally is, but I like this a lot more than my other one. Very nice!

Ibuki on the scene:
"Name's Ibuki Mioda! That's Ee-boo-key Me-oh-nyet! I mean, da!"
"Name's Ibuki Mioda, next big thing since Depeche Mioda! Er, Mode!"
(I originally tried to make her just sound quirky, but tried to rework a music reference into the introduction.)

I like both of these, especially the second one. Realistically speaking, as much as I wish I could maintain the original structure of that joke, I'd also be very happy with something like this in the end if I were working on the game.

Thanks for the meal:
"Most people would just get some water if they were thirsty..."
(Self-explanatory and still food related.)

This would potentially work, but the context of the line is that they specifically find themselves waking up in the same bed together in the morning. The originally Japanese is kind of tricky to work with in general because the joke itself is straightforward, but the phrase itself she uses doesn't really translate, so it would maybe be one of those cases where the surrounding conversation leading up to that line would have to be massaged anyway to make the game work. Hard to say. I wish best of luck to whoever does end up working on Super Dangan Ronpa 2 because it's even more of a beast to localize than the first game in a lot of respects, ahaha.

Anyway, yeah, I like your style. As much as I often tend to but heads with them, editors aren't a bad thing to have around, so I'd say you'd do pretty well for yourself if you ever took up that sort of mantle. You definitely get what I'm going for without being able to read the original Japanese at least. :)

Also, do you have any comments on the official and unofficial changes in visual design for the English? I found a spoiler-free topic discussing some of the changes (on 4Chan of all places) but unfortunately only saved some of the pictures. I realize that despite the similarities between translating and typeface choice dealing with conveying language, you might not be the biggest buff on this stuff.

Going by what you said, I'm sure the official localization has the best potential for being faithful, especially since they were respectful enough of SC's wishes to keep kuma untranslated. Still, I have to say that the official type design is worse, with the first image having poor kerning and the other ditching the bitmap typeface for a generic sans-serif. Ludenburg got treated a lot worse, with the L and U being so close that they look like a W. I mean, I realize that these are the sorts of things that go by quickly, but it surprises me that they didn't send the extra few seconds to make everything look nice, especially with people now making Vita wallpapers out of those intros. In the case of the bit font, they literally could have made one themselves in five minutes in pant if they didn't want to license one themselves.

I haven't looked too closely at how each of the translations has handled the graphic design edits since that's not really my field --I keep waiting for someone to tell me off for my font choices with those magazine scans-- but I've definitely had nitpicky issues with different parts of each one. I think NISA in particular has made some potentially unideal decisions with the typeface in terms of how the debate and... I'm not sure what the official language is in English, but that showdown moment where you've pinned down the culprit and have to break down their resolve, I think they went with a pretty aesthetically poor font in addition to one that has a lot of the other issues you've pointed out.

...I would argue that it's almost worth dealing with those issues in NISA's version just so nobody has to read titles with "Super Duper" anymore because I think that was an especially poor part of the Zetsubou translation, but I guess people find it charming in a hokey way, ahaha.

Okay PersonaGAF, questions from a total newb (Persona 4 on Vita HAS ME):

When tackling a dungeon in the TV world
(in this case, the rescue mission to save Yukiko in her castle)
, is it wise to break things up by completing a couple of floors and then returning to the real world when you need to rest up and resupply?

On that same note, would leaving the TV world to rest up in the real world cause me to lose my progress in the dungeon or can I start back on the same floor that I left?

Another question I have is about fusing personas. I notice that I'll pick up a persona card more than once (for example, the pixie), so is it good to experiment with fusing personas or is it better to hold on to them for specific combinations?

Is there a way to grind to boost social links or is it part of the ebb & flow of the game and story where there's a natural development of character and things move at a certain pace?

Tamanon

Banned
Okay PersonaGAF, questions from a total newb (Persona 4 on Vita HAS ME):

When tackling a dungeon in the TV world
(in this case, the rescue mission to save Yukiko in her castle)
, is it wise to break things up by completing a couple of floors and then returning to the real world when you need to rest up and resupply?

On that same note, would leaving the TV world to rest up in the real world cause me to lose my progress in the dungeon or can I start back on the same floor that I left?

Another question I have is about fusing personas. I notice that I'll pick up a persona card more than once (for example, the pixie), so is it good to experiment with fusing personas or is it better to hold on to them for specific combinations?

Is there a way to grind to boost social links or is it part of the ebb & flow of the game and story where there's a natural development of character and things move at a certain pace?

1) Early on, there's nothing wrong with leaving and coming back later when your SP is low. Your last floor is saved. Later on, it shouldn't be quite as necessary.

2) It's saved

3) Always be fusing. ALWAYS. BE. FUSING. The stats and levels are much higher that way.

4. No way to really "grind" a social link, just gotta spend the time with 'em!

Trigger

Having a persona in your roster of the same arcana as social link you're focusing on, complimenting characters during story events, and having lunch are all ways to help boost your social linkin'.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Listen to this man, for he sprouts the wisdom of MegaTen. Those who fear fusion shall be struck down by YHWH himself.

When I was playing Persona 3 FES years and years ago, it was my first Atlus RPG (I had played Trauma Center: Second Opinion on the Wii a while before that as my first Atlus game in general) and somehow I managed to bring a level 50 Jack Frost to the final boss battle. Pretty sure he was still regularly used in that fight despite still only having lowly old Bufu in his repertoire.

I was young and stupid. But not enough to be done in by that boss somehow. Now I'm slightly less young, probably still dumb about some things, and now just thank the gods that the square button function exists in modern day Atlus games for those times I don't feel like memorizing Sanskrit phonics.

Thanks guys. Fusing is a really dynamic and addicting feature of the game play.

So do different characters focus on a different arcana? I noticed I can't change the personas of the other characters (that I know of).

Sophia

When I was playing Persona 3 FES years and years ago, it was my first Atlus RPG (I had played Trauma Center: Second Opinion on the Wii a while before that as my first Atlus game in general) and somehow I managed to bring a level 50 Jack Frost to the final boss battle. Pretty sure he was still regularly used in that fight despite still only having lowly old Bufu in his repertoire.

I was young and stupid. But not enough to be done in by that boss somehow. Now I'm slightly less young, probably still dumb about some things, and now just thank the gods that the square button function exists in modern day Atlus games for those times I don't feel like memorizing Sanskrit phonics.

For what its worth, Jack Frost is pretty powerful in Persona 3, and lots of the enemies in the game are weak to Bufu. Given that case, and it's absurdly high magic stat + the fact that it gets Ice Boost, it's not unreasonable to hang onto it. Or that it would still be useful endgame.

Thanks guys. Fusing is a really dynamic and addicting feature of the game play.

So do different characters focus on a different arcana? I noticed I can't change the personas of the other characters (that I know of).

Only the main character can change Personas, everyone else is stuck with the Persona they got. To balance this out, they get skills all the way to the end game and eventually get some unique skills the protagonist can't get. The arcana doesn't really mean anything in their case, but each has their own specialty (Chie is physical, Yosuke is the jack of all trades, Yukiko is a mage with a focus on healing, etc, etc...)

MSMrRound

Only the Main Character can change Personas.

Other characters are locked to a single Persona.

Arcana can mean different things, but it's mainly to show the different characteristics of people that you are going to encounter. (E.g there's different Arcanas for you to max their social links, and in turn, it gives a exp boost when you fuse Personas of that particular Arcana.) E.g Personas of the Chariot Arcana are usually physical-based attackers.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
1) Early on, there's nothing wrong with leaving and coming back later when your SP is low. Your last floor is saved. Later on, it shouldn't be quite as necessary.

2) It's saved

3) Always be fusing. ALWAYS. BE. FUSING. The stats and levels are much higher that way.

4. No way to really "grind" a social link, just gotta spend the time with 'em!

5. Coffee's for closers only.

Top Bottom