• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

pan-hime

When I first saw the desk with chains promotional art I got real excited about the possibility of the game being set in a juvenile detention center. That’s a good Persona setting. Lots of messed up kids stuck together going through some variation of rehabilitation, be it education or learning work skills. The prison setting gives an excuse for limited environments. Most of the characters (even the protagonist!) actually might be guilty of something, which has a ton of interesting potential. Plus there’s lots of rich image symbolism in a prison, and that development team is super good with their visual metaphors. I thought that it would be a throwback to the darker tone of Persona 3 (which I also prefer) and maybe even go farther.

But then I realized that characters that are guilty of crimes don’t sell merchandise like adorable waifus, and girls in detention centers don’t wear the uniforms with short skirts. So that’s pretty much it for that possibility. There’s a whole lot of market for schoolgirl outfits these days, less so for orange jumpsuits.
This is all I hear.

Dantis

I stand corrected!

That's actually really interesting. And kind of insane.

But then I realized that characters that are guilty of crimes don’t sell merchandise like adorable waifus, and girls in detention centers don’t wear the uniforms with short skirts. So that’s pretty much it for that possibility. There’s a whole lot of market for schoolgirl outfits these days, less so for orange jumpsuits.

This feels like there's some real contempt behind it, haha.

I think Ishaan doesn't read this thread. :p

Nachos

Hi, I´m new to the club!

It´s weird how much I´m starting to care for these characters. I also like the whole setup a lot more than Persona 3 - living with Nanako and her detective father in a rural town feels a lot more charming than that rather dull school in P3, and the TV world is also more interesting than boring old Tartarus.

And man, Chie is so cool. I love her facial expressions, and the little dancing, hopping animation during battles.

While I still think random dungeons are a bit dull, at least they change themes and songs during the game.

The only thing that annoys me a bit is how grating Teddy is. "HHHHUUUU, it´s getting back on it´s feet again!!!" Thanks, Teddy, what would I do without you.

And the game looks so sexy on OLED. Some of the neon colors in the interface elements... so good.

Every day is great at your Junes!

Welcome! How far into the game are you right now?

No, I like interviews because that's what they are. Two writers sending each other long IMs is not an interview transcript and not very interesting.

Edit: I read about half of that. Tone is awful. So condescending.

I read all of it, and it does have its own fair points, though that's kinda obfuscated by how presumptuous they are. It also comes across as two people on their own independent soapboxes, only occasionally shifting focus, as opposed to an actual conversation. They're projecting and extrapolating all over the place, without anyone to moderate anything.

Actually, do you have any tips for someone who might be interested in editing for translated works? I looked into it a little bit, and was able to find hardly anything, save for the Digital Manga Guild, which...Yeah. I assume (or least hope) that most school would have some sort of resources for help landing a job, but working towards a math major myself has obviously made them a bit inaccessible for me.

Still, for fun, I decided to try making my own versions of the lines you posted, based off the general ideas behind each one you got out of them and while also adhering to a more strict character count. What do you think?

The only respect you'll be paid in the game:
"As you parlay your new cohorts, the database shall update as new events transpire."
(This seems like it would have the most potential for sounding stilted without any other lines to Taylor to a uniform tone.)

Serial Killer:
"'Si Riyah Cihlar'? What kinda name is that?! Czech?"

(I tried to keep the intent behind using the katakana by making a real name out of foreign homophones.)

Ibuki on the scene:
"Name's Ibuki Mioda! That's Ee-boo-key Me-oh-nyet! I mean, da!"
"Name's Ibuki Mioda, next big thing since Depeche Mioda! Er, Mode!"
(I originally tried to make her just sound quirky, but tried to rework a music reference into the introduction.)

Thanks for the meal:
"Most people would just get some water if they were thirsty..."
(Self-explanatory and still food related.)

Also, do you have any comments on the official and unofficial changes in visual design for the English? I found a spoiler-free topic discussing some of the changes (on 4Chan of all places) but unfortunately only saved some of the pictures. I realize that despite the similarities between translating and typeface choice dealing with conveying language, you might not be the biggest buff on this stuff.

aiU9ms9.jpg

XkXitw5.jpg

Going by what you said, I'm sure the official localization has the best potential for being faithful, especially since they were respectful enough of SC's wishes to keep kuma untranslated. Still, I have to say that the official type design is worse, with the first image having poor kerning and the other ditching the bitmap typeface for a generic sans-serif. Ludenburg got treated a lot worse, with the L and U being so close that they look like a W. I mean, I realize that these are the sorts of things that go by quickly, but it surprises me that they didn't send the extra few seconds to make everything look nice, especially with people now making Vita wallpapers out of those intros. In the case of the bit font, they literally could have made one themselves in five minutes in pant if they didn't want to license one themselves.

Squire

Banned
This feels like there's some real contempt behind it, haha.

I think Ishaan doesn't read this thread. :p

Wait, what? That came from that Siloconera article? (Like I said, I didn't finish it.) Pan tweeted some lines from that excerpt. I honestly thought it came from GameFAQs.

That's my case-in-point about the tone, right there.

HeavenSmiley said:
I read all of it, and it does have its own fair points, though that's kinda obfuscated by how presumptuous they are. It also comes across as two people on their own independent soapboxes, only occasionally shifting focus, as opposed to an actual conversation. They're projecting and extrapolating all over the place, without anyone to moderate anything.

It's why I don't like articles like this. They're 9x/10 boring, circle-jerk sessions, or both. Ironic that they discuss wish fulfillment when the whole dialogue seems to be one just saying what the other would like to hear and switching off.

Caladrius

It's amazing that they developed P4 in such a short amount of time without running a tight ship.

Is "easy" reasonable difficulty to pick for Perosna 4 G? I don't want it to be too easy, but I don't play that many RPGs...

The game starts out hard, but by the third dungeon or so the game's difficulty drops off a cliff save for 1 or 2 fights. Put it on normal.

Dantis

Wait, what? That came from that Siloconera article? (Like I said, I didn't finish it.) Pan tweeted some lines from that excerpt. I honestly thought it came from GameFAQs.

That's my case-in-point about the tone, right there.

It wasn't actually Ishaan who said that (It was Ethan), but even so, yikes.

Weird thing to post when they have such an anime-obsessed fanbase too. Like, proper Otakus or weebs or whatever you want to call them.

Whatever they were or weren't thinking, totally paid off didn't it? Don't doubt me folks :'(

NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS.

Squire

Banned

Weird thing to post when they have such an anime-obsessed fanbase too. Like, proper Otakus or weebs or whatever you want to call them.

It reads like some shit off GFAQs. Like, the kind we've been pretty regularly poking fun at for months now. I mean... wow.

cj_iwakura

I got banned from that site for criticizing an article that had nothing to do with video games. That should tell you something. Siliconera used to be special, now it's basically just a giant 'look at this poorly translated stuff we got from [site]' hub.

Dantis

I got banned from that site for criticizing an article that had nothing to do with video games. That should tell you something. Siliconera used to be special, now it's basically just a giant 'look at this poorly translated stuff we got from [site]' hub.

I remember arguing with you on there that Arena was going to be shit.

Good times!

I never got banned, I just realised that outside of Persona, my interests didn't match everyone else's there.

Lunar15

Just got around to reading those translated bits of Meguro talking about the DDS OST's. I have always wondered if Meguro was influenced by Santana, and there he was, referencing him right there.

The field song for the outside of Karma Temple. It’s reminiscent of Santana’s style, but I wasn’t sure whether to integrate a “sorrowful” melody or not. By the way, did you know that this “sorrowful” melody will appear all of a sudden when the tune repeats for the tenth time?

Finally glad to hear it, because it was bugging me for a long time.Santana was one of my favorite guitarists growing up, so I could easily pinpoint some of the influence present in Meguro's songs. It's definitely the most present in DDS, so it's no surprise that those games are my favorite of his work.You can definitely see the influence in songs like this:

Manipura

But he also had some very similar riffs in The Almighty, hence why it's probably my favorite persona track. You can see it in the final guitar solo:

The Almighty

And finally, an example from Santana:

Europa

I mean, yeah, it's not surprising he's influenced by classic guitarists. I've heard some Clapton in there. Still, nice to hear it.

I think it comes from when your an adult, you want everything having to be dark and edgy since light and happy means that it's childish and not serious, Which some people see as the only way that good stories are told I'll be blunt about this, dark and edgy doesn't equal good. For there have been many works that have tried to be dark and edgy, and have pretty much fallen flat on their face, because it doesn't feel so real and comes off more as immature than mature and adult. Often I think works that incorporate both to some degree actually are lot better in the long run, though you fail at if you don't execute it correctly. Since not everything is dark and depressing, and on the flip side not everything Light and Happy. But if you incorporate both sides of the coin. You'll come out with more interesting and fulfilling game, story, TV show, and movie in the end.

This is why alot of superhero comics and movie series end up being sabotaged by leadership/money men/fanbases and how A Separate Peace and Wuthering Heights are considered anything other than pulp trash.
:p
Anything not Super Adult or Super GrimDark isn't respected. It's like they ain't never heard of "earn your happy ending" (now aint THAT a tagline for P4)!

Seriously. The hell were they thinking?

Atlus don't play by no RULES man. RULES probably say we can't have stuff like adultery puzzle games or dick demons!

Yeah, I miss Andriasang, too.

Just got around to reading those translated bits of Meguro talking about the DDS OST's. I have always wondered if Meguro was influenced by Santana, and there he was, referencing him right there.

Finally glad to hear it, because it was bugging me for a long time.Santana was one of my favorite guitarists growing up, so I could easily pinpoint some of the influence present in Meguro's songs. It's definitely the most present in DDS, so it's no surprise that those games are my favorite of his work.

You can definitely see the influence in songs like this:

Manipura

But he also had some very similar riffs in The Almighty, hence why it's probably my favorite persona track. You can see it in the final guitar solo:

The Almighty

It's wierd how the latino beat is hidden by the metal and instrumental J-hop elements rather than be a raw inspiration.

I think Atlus USA's Persona Q localization announcement will be late April/early May 2014, knowing the Japanese release date.

What's the Japanese release date?

Santana was one of my favorite guitarists growing up, so I could easily pinpoint some of the influence present in Meguro's songs. It's definitely the most present in DDS, so it's no surprise that those games are my favorite of his work.

How badass would it be if Santana was helping Meguro make the Persona 5 OST. It would include the hit single Black Frost Magic Women.

Can't believe I missed that, then again, I've only seen that trailer once. Fighting heavy eyelids during the Persona announcement stream.

kewlmyc

It is funny cuz Persona 4 was designed without a design doc.
This isn't the first time I heard of this. Seems highly silly on there behalf. A huge gamble.

What's the best build for SMT IV, in your guys opinion? I went for a Strength build, which was stupid since physical skills scale with Dex. I'm stuck between a Magic build or a Dex build on my retry.

Gazoinks

This isn't the first time I heard of this. Seems highly silly on there behalf. A huge gamble.

What's the best build for SMT IV, in your guys opinion? I went for a Strength build, which was stupid since physical skills scale with Dex. I'm stuck between a Magic build or a Dex build on my retry.

I went Magic and murdered everything. Heard good things about Dex also.

Caladrius

Dex is good but you have to be able to keep your equipment up to date, which doesn't come cheap.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like this Shadow Akihiko scene in P4A (P4A + P3 Spoilers) actually explains quite a bit about the set-up for P4A2. I'm almost certain now that SHO Minazuki represents whatever the Malevolent Entity is because of several reasons, for one.

Also, I feel that when he says "This one's desire to make people suffer was perfectly suited for such a plan", he's actually talking about Sho, since it couldn't be Akihiko.

Gotta play through the story again.

Never noticed it in those either. Guess I should pay more attention to trailers, instead of passively absorbing the imagery.

I have a tendency to do that during events like E3 where I'm paying attention to a live conference while also trying to pay attention to reactions and media surrounding said conference.

Didn't know that Chie, Yosuke, etc. were confirmed for P4D in its first trailer until recently, but that's kind of different since I wasn't in my usual mental state.

LX_Theo

Banned
I feel like this Shadow Akihiko scene in P4A (P4A + P3 Spoilers) actually explains quite a bit about the set-up for P4A2. I'm almost certain now that SHO Minazuki represents whatever the Malevolent Entity is because of several reasons, for one.

Also, I feel that when he says "This one's desire to make people suffer was perfectly suited for such a plan", he's actually talking about Sho, since it couldn't be Akihiko.

Gotta play through the story again.
Wait.. I thought that specific line was referring to
Labrys
, not Akihiko or someone not introduced yet. Given
what her shadow did,
it makes quite a bit of sense to me at least.

FluxWaveZ

Wait.. I thought that specific line was referring to
Labrys
, not Akihiko or someone not introduced yet. Given
what her shadow did,
it makes quite a bit of sense to me at least.

Oh yeah, you're totally right. I think I was hoping too much that it was an indication of
SHO's relation with Sho, but Labrys is absolutely the one being talked about there.

Still, it at least means that the ME most likely = the culprit = SHO.

Top Bottom