• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

kewlmyc

Actually, I'd argue that a character introduction is one of the most important parts in any story. A moment that they'd want to get down in ADR, because it sets a precedent. If the introduction is bad, a lot of people are going to be turned off on the whole thing.

You know, a first impression.

I'm aware of what a first impression is. I just always thought judging an entire product or person based on the first few moments of contact is very flawed. Not trying to defend NISA dubs at all, just one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" type of situations.

However, I'm aware that you've played through quite a bit of the game already, so you probably have a better outlook on the dub than most of the people here saying it's awful after a 3 minute clip featuring the voice talents of 15 different characters.

I could be wrong, and I could be eating my words come this Tuesday, but I still think it's personally too early to say this is terrible, especially if only a small number of a 15 person cast has an iffy first impression.

Dantis

I had a good laugh at that post. Thanks.

They must be mining your posts for all the things you hate, because they know they will inevitably sell. :3

Fucking called this shit.

I saw the signs, man. Didn't expect that I'd have fallen so far as to be interested in it though.

What is it that people like so much about Labrys? I don't think she's a bad character or anything but nothing about her really stood out to me while playing P4A. Is it just her design?

People like bad things. When I first saw her on Siliconera, I remember posting something along the lines of "No way that's a Soejima character. Someone else must have designed it and he drew the art".

Nope. ;_;

Caladrius

Dantis you haven't seen enough bad characters. Labrys is merely average.

I can show you bad, if you so wish.

Eh.....Those voices aren't terrible as your saying them to be, only three I can say are kinda awful. The rest are decent.

Namco bought the publishing rights to the original novels back in the day. ATLUS only developed it.

ATLUS started publishing games around 1989, so that's where the 25th anniversary comes from.

You mean Namcot

MTIIJapan.png

Squire

Banned
I'm aware of what a first impression is. I just always thought judging an entire product or person based on the first few moments of contact is very flawed. Not trying to defend NISA dubs at all, just one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" type of situations.

However, I'm aware that you've played through quite a bit of the game already, so you probably have a better outlook on the dub than most of the people here saying it's awful after a 3 minute clip featuring the voice talents of 15 different characters.

I could be wrong, and I could be eating my words come this Tuesday, but I still think it's personally too early to say this is terrible, especially if only a small number of a 15 person cast has an iffy first impression.

I only have so much time, so yeah, I'm judging off word of mouth and a 3-minute clip because I'm trying to figure out which of those audio tracks is going to get that limited time.

Like I said earlier though, someone else (who also reviewed the game, actually) said the dub was "brilliant" during trials where there's a lot more voice work and a lot more going on. There are also a lot of people in the OT saying the voices are alright, but those impressions honestly strike me as disingenuous.

So, sure, the final thing could be much better. I can only go off what I've heard though and I firmly believe it's awful.

Levito

Banned

Wasn't trying to sound condescending in tone, all I meant, was like a meeting someone and getting a first impression--the videos like that set a prescient.

Actually, I've been playing the sub for the most part. Started the dub cause I have to, but it's pretty weak IMO.

Obviously, if you've already played the subs, it can't hurt playing the dub. :)

PK Gaming

Daaaaamn, this one is cool. Although what does the broken heart represent?

(I joined the basketball team)

His hang up over his EX girlfriend and women in general I think

I like how you mostly went with the self-restrain angle, since that was an equally important part of his S.link that people tend to gloss over

That shadow fits and it just looks plain cool!

kewlmyc

I only have so much time, so yeah, I'm judging off word of mouth and a 3-minute clip because I'm trying to figure out which of those audio tracks is going to get that limited time.

Like I said earlier though, someone else (who also reviewed the game, actually) said the dub was "brilliant" during trials where there's a lot more voice work and a lot more going on. There are also a lot of people in the OT saying the voices are alright, but those impressions honestly strike me as disingenuous.

So, sure, the final thing could be much better. I can only go off what I've heard though and I firmly believe it's awful.

Given my luck, it probably will be awful. :p

If you're trying to decide which audio to go for during your only playthrough, then I would pick the JP audio since that's already confirmed to be godlike. Didn't know what your intentions were, my apologies.

Wasn't trying to sound condescending in tone, all I meant, was like a meeting someone and getting a first impression--the videos like that set a prescient.

Actually, I've been playing the sub for the most part. Started the dub cause I have to, but it's pretty weak IMO.

Obviously, if you've already played the subs, it can't hurt playing the dub. :)
I didn't think you were being condescending. Didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Shadow Daisuke:
aIlJyLQ.png

Wrestled with how to do "holding yourself back" for a while. I'm still not sure how I arrived at this solution.
Nice art, but you're going to have to explain this one to me. Wasn't Daisuke the guy who was having problems getting along with girls?

Design, not art style.

Most of Soejima's characters are normal looking, and the ones that aren't (Aigis and Metis come to mind) have a unique look to them.

Labrys looks like a pretty straight forward anime robot.

Why? Is it the school uniform?

Shadow Daisuke:
aIlJyLQ.png

Wrestled with how to do "holding yourself back" for a while. I'm still not sure how I arrived at this solution.

Man, you're just nailing these.

Shadow Daisuke:
aIlJyLQ.png

I don't know you arrived at it either, but I'm glad you did. Very nice symbolism there, especially with the broken heart on his chest. For some reason I imagine him either swinging that giant head-boulder to hit you, or tossing it into the air, kicking it like a soccer ball, and then flying after it (still chained) and hitting you. XD

Thanks for the comments again guys, always appreciated.

Nice art, but you're going to have to explain this one to me. Wasn't Daisuke the guy who was having problems getting along with girls?
Daisuke's main issue, at least, how I felt, was his fear of failure due to his earlier breakup--his issues with girls are an extension of this, and it manifests in his inability to fully invest himself in anything. He deliberately holds himself back at everything he does because he wants an excuse in case he fails.

Squire

Banned
Design, not art style.

Most of Soejima's characters are normal looking, and the ones that aren't (Aigis and Metis come to mind) have a unique look to them.

Labrys looks like a pretty straight forward anime robot.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It wouldn't kill you to spare us the semantic bullshit and just say you don't like the design. "Too anime" "His other designs are 'normal'" None of that means anything.

Given my luck, it probably will be awful. :p

If you're trying to decide which audio to go for during your only playthrough, then I would pick the JP audio since that's already confirmed to be godlike. Didn't know what your intentions were, my apologies.

No need to apologize! S'all good.

Sophia

I don't even need to click on it to know what you posted. You're never going to let him live that down, are you?

Nobody is going to let him live it down.

This is a big part of it. Her armor is also more sci fi and gaudy than the other two, and then you have the knight motif, and the radioactive symbols and whatnot.

Given it's similarity to the Gekkoukan High logo, I always assumed it was the Kirjiro Group's logo. It is only located on one spot, after all.

FluxWaveZ

This is a big part of it. Her armor is also more sci fi and gaudy than the other two, and then you have the knight motif, and the radioactive symbols and whatnot.
Given it's similarity to the Gekkoukan High logo, I always assumed it was the Kirjiro Group's logo. It is only located on one spot, after all.

Weird. I thought most agreed that it was a crash test dummy logo:

images

Given her origins, this is what I assumed it was, at least.

Caladrius

I always thought of Labrys's origin story as what would happen if (Giant P4A spoilers)
baby Tiger Sharks could think. The "I don't want to fight" angle is certainly trite, but mixing it with slaughtering her surrogate sisters and slowly becoming aware of what the hell she was doing even as she has to fight for her survival made it a lot more effective than it could have been.

Jesus Caladrius your avatar is amazing

Never ever EVER change it

You ask me to do the impossible, lamentably.

I do keep all of the avatars I make though, and this is definitely one of the nicer ones. It's likely going to be one of the few avatars I put into semi-regular rotation.

Shadow Daisuke:
aIlJyLQ.png

Very nice. I especially like the pained expression on the stone's face.

Dantis

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It wouldn't kill you to spare us the semantic bullshit and just say you don't like the design. "Too anime" "His other designs are 'normal'" None of that means anything.

If you choose to pretend to not understand what I mean by "His other designs are normal" when we're discussing well-dressed teenagers, that is literally not my problem.

Weird. I thought most agreed that it was a crash test dummy logo:

images

Given her origins, this is what I assumed it was, at least.

MIND. BLOWN.

Still looks dumb though. Even dumber, in a way.

Sophia

If you choose to pretend to not understand what I mean by "His other designs are normal" when we're discussing well-dressed teenagers, that is literally not my problem.

Heh, if we're talking "too anime", then Aigis's design qualifies far more then Labrys's design. By Soejima's own admission it's designed to resemble classic anime heroes like Astro Boy.

Squire

Banned

Labrys is a prototype android that was never even meant to be running around in the open. Why are you comparing her to well-dressed teenagers?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Huh, the newer Chie English VA also does the female lead in Bravely Default. Sounds a lot less annoying in BD.

PK Gaming

Thanks for the comments again guys, always appreciated.

Daisuke's main issue, at least, how I felt, was his fear of failure due to his earlier breakup--his issues with girls are an extension of this, and it manifests in his inability to fully invest himself in anything. He deliberately holds himself back at everything he does because he wants an excuse in case he fails.

Spot on

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of Daisuke on my first play through (In fact I hated him), but his social link does a decent job at justifying his behavior.

The confrontation scene is amazing

Levito

Banned
To be honest, I wasn't a fan of Daisuke on my first play through (In fact I hated him), but his social link does a decent job at justifying his behavior.

Feels like everyone has a story similar to this with one character or another. Or they never delve into a social link at all and make up their mind about a character beforehand.

Was speaking with a friend the other day, and they thought Dancing All Night's plot was out of character for Rise, cause when you initially meet her, she's trying to leave the spotlight behind. Told him Her Social Link is right in line with Dancing's story.

Must be tough being a developer, spending all this time forging a large part of character around the social links--only to know that a most players are going to miss out on a lot of the S.Links.

FluxWaveZ

Guys persona 2 is in this same timeline, that game is more batshit crazy than a simple Lon of android girls

I think the discussion is only about character design and, given that, I'd have to disagree. I'm not arguing that the android girls are bad, but there is no character quite like them before P3.

Nachos

Apologies for another late-ish response. Been running around getting stuff taken care of for my Japanese interview next week and only now finally have some down time. What sort of editing are we talking about here and for what medium, though? Like just visual editing of digital images?

I haven't looked too closely at how each of the translations has handled the graphic design edits since that's not really my field --I keep waiting for someone to tell me off for my font choices with those magazine scans-- but I've definitely had nitpicky issues with different parts of each one. I think NISA in particular has made some potentially unideal decisions with the typeface in terms, of how the debate and... I'm not sure what the official language is in English, but that showdown moment where you've pinned down the culprit and have to break down their resolve, I think they went with a pretty aesthetically poor font in addition to one that has a lot of the other issues you've pointed out.

...I would argue that it's almost worth dealing with those issues in NISA's version just so nobody has to read titles with "Super Duper" anymore because I think that was an especially poor part of the Zetsubou translation, but I guess people find it charming in a hokey way, ahaha.

Ah, no problem at all! I'm just glad to hear a response. And I was actually mostly talking about script editing, though I can see how I could've confused you by mentioning the changes to interface design. Still, thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible, so I can totally see how me needing to project and make assumptions with the script might not match up 100% or might miss the main point of the sentence completely. I thought it would always be interesting to do something like that as a profession, though I wouldn't know how to get my foot into the door.

Like I said, the only remotely "official" business was the Digital Manga Guild, which lured me in by implying I might eventually be able to translate things like Astro Boy (I'm a HUGE Tezuka fan). After downloading their editor test, though (they had one for a translator, an editor, and an image editor), I had to bail out when I saw it included hentai, hahaha. Still, I don't exactly have any leads for getting my foot through the door, aside from just changing my major outright, already halfway through school.

There aren't going to be any legendary performances, since NISA cast unknowns for this. Which, considering the game's legacy, seems I'll-advised. Like, someone in the OT was saying they're happy they didn't just cast Karen Strassmen as Celestia because she's french, but the thing is: that's exactly what they should have done.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that, though come to think of it, most of the performances I like are from actors and actresses who already making a lot of headway towards becoming big, like Cassandra Morris and Amanda Celine Miller.

Still, I think the actress portraying Ludenberg could actually be good. I have little doubt that Strassman would give a great performance, but just saying she should have done it instead might be being a bit too hasty. Maybe Levito can comment, though.

I really don't find anything wrong with it at all.

And Erin is Celestia.
She actually isn't. That would be Toko.

Then you are tone-deaf. That is some of the poorest acting I've heard in awhile. Simply unacceptable that anyone would consider releasing a product like that in this day and age.

I'm at 1:21 and there pretty much hasn't been a single good line yet. Really makes me appreciate Atlus's work now. Even if they're not perfect, they actually sound like they're trying to act.

Part of me actually likes that it sounds slightly stilted, as it fits with the otherwise hyper-real and exaggerated depiction everywhere else in the game. The most pressing concern is whether or not that was intentional, though.

It should go without saying that I'm not one of those dub hating anime fans. It's always a case by case basis with me.

This is not a good dub.
It's certainly no Wolf Children.

Exactly. It's understandable if the few chances to talk make it harder to get into the character, but I think it would've actually been smarter to make the introductions one of the last lines recorded after the actors have gotten into the groove of things.

Anyway, I'd have to say this about the actors involved:

Makoto (Bryce Papenbrook): Same generic voice he uses in a lot of his roles. He's quickly becoming another Yuri Lowenthal, but without necessarily having the acing chops to match. "My name's..." sounded a bit too exaggerated.

Sayaka (???): Very bland, and definitely didn't give me high hopes for the dub. The tonality in her voice doesn't sound that great, making me think it's affected and definitely something out of the actress' usual voice range.

Leon Kuwata (???): I actually like him. Not exactly the most riveting performance, but I think the casting choice, based off of voice alone, was good.

Hifumi Yamada (???): I actually loved this performance. The character is already enough of a huge caricature as is, so I'm glad the actor for him is clearly hamming it up.

Toko Fukawa (Erin Fitzgerald): I think it's alright. I'm usually hit or miss with every performance Fitzgerald does (Bravely Default says hi), but it's not bad. Sounds more like an impersonation of someone with social anxiety, though.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru (Sean Chiplock): The voice role is great -- very gung-ho and purposefully stilted. Whether that performance will actually work or won't grow tiring is another story.

Aoi Asahina (Cassandra Morris): Cassandra Morris can do no wrong. The line read itself is nothing special, but I have faith in her.

Chihiro Fujisaki (NISA employee, apparently): Definitely Fuuka vibes. It's like someone was told to be very formal, but the actress failed to realize that there's still a lot of ways of conveying emotion, even through that construct.

Kyoko Kirigiri (???): A zombie. Nothing mysterious or understated -- just bland. For someone who seems to be a big mystery, there's nothing to entice you into wanting to know more.

Junko Enoshima (Amanda Celine Miller): Not at all how I would've imagined her speaking, but I think it works. Certainly sounds like someone in the fashion industry without being too cartoonish.

Mondo Owada (Wally Wingert): Really rubs me the wrong way, but considering that Wally can put out at least half-decent performances most of the time, that might just be the character.

Celestia Ludenberg (???): She has a genuine French accent, and I think the performance is fine. Certainly not quite how an English speaker would speak, but that's the point. I'd have to hear more.

Yasuhiro Hagakure (Kaiji Tang): I like Kaiji most of the time, but here he just sounds like a chump, and not in a good way. Maybe it is just part of the character, but I am worried.

Byakuya Togami (GAF's own Feep): There's nothing to this read that communicates the character at all. As mean as it sounds, it really does sound like a voice over from a hentai flick from the '90s. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but there really is no reason to do so, based on the lines in the trailers.

Sakura Ogami (???): I really don't know how you'd portray a character like that, but this could be decent. This is the one is need to hear the most of.

Monokuma (Grant George): I like it. Not as good as the Japanese counterpart, but it's good. Wish they kept the trademark laugh, though.

Sophia

I think the discussion is only about character design and, given that, I'd have to disagree. I'm not arguing that the android girls are bad, but there is no character quite like them before P3.

I dunno about that. Persona 2 had, among other things for character designs: A jester, a madman with a bag on top of his head, a tengu like guy with a long nose, a white haired pretty boy with a clock for an eyepatch, Maya, a blindfolded piano player, a guy with a butterfly mask, Ulala, an obnoxious fairy dressed up half way between a doctor, a nurse, and a general.....

Persona as a whole is pretty anime, yo.

FluxWaveZ

Nooo it doesn't.

The circles are for reference points on high speed cameras. There's no reason to put one on her leg (Or anywhere on her).

No reason?
The fact that the androids were being created in order to be destroyed in order to bring about improvements in their integral design is not a reason?

I dunno about that. Persona 2 had, among other things for character designs: A jester, a madman with a bag on top of his head, a tengu like guy with a long nose, a white haired pretty boy with a clock for an eyepatch, Maya, a blindfolded piano player, a guy with a butterfly mask, Ulala, an obnoxious fairy dressed up half way between a doctor, a nurse, and a general.....

Persona as a whole is pretty anime, yo.

I guess there are some outlandish characters, but I suppose I'm speaking in a mostly strict sense. Before P3, there were humans and there were mystical beings (demons, some Velvet Room attendants...). The third category brought by P3 were androids.

It's probably a meaningless distinction, anyways.

Top Bottom