• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gettin' some maaaaaajor Fuuka flashbacks from Chihiro's voice. I may have to play through both voice tracks just to experience this unique brand of dumb :O

Caladrius

I always do subs whenever possible, with the exception of P4, Kingdom Hearts and Xenoblade.

Those videos remind me why I do so.

Squire

Banned
o_O

Holy shit. That's some ADV 90s era levels of bad dubbing. Are they voice acting or reading from the script?

It's really bad. And I don't think "well it's only one line" cuts it as an excuse, because the very moment that Yukiko or Yosuke opened their mouth, I knew they were well-casted.

HERE'S SOME ACTING.

Really puts it in perspective how good of a job Atlus USA does.

Good LORD, I hate how Kyoko sounds.

So lifeless. :/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
moar femmc luv

4A3HbQH.jpg

Sophia

I really don't find anything wrong with it at all.

And Erin is Celestia.

Then you are tone-deaf. That is some of the poorest acting I've heard in awhile. Simply unacceptable that anyone would consider releasing a product like that in this day and age.

It's really bad. And I don't think "well it's only one line" cuts it as an excuse, because the very moment that Yukiko or Yosuke opened their mouth, I knew they were well-casted.

I'm at 1:21 and there pretty much hasn't been a single good line yet. Really makes me appreciate Atlus's work now. Even if they're not perfect, they actually sound like they're trying to act.

Kazzy

Yeah I saw the post after I refreshed. >_>;

Though just to add to what I said, because I think people assume I like Metis simply because of the character design.

As an amalgamation of Aigis' rejection, she's an immensely childish perception of all happenings - overtly emotional, whilst her "sister" becomes withdrawn and detached. All of her odd caveats make sense in hindsight, being the living embodiment of that abandonment.

By sheer virtue of her existence, she made Aigis a much more palatable character for me.

LX_Theo

Banned
o_O

Holy shit. That's some ADV 90s era levels of bad dubbing. Are they voice acting or reading from the script?

Ehh... I would wait until experiencing the full game until making a decision on whether it is bad or not. Then again, if it really bothers you that much, I believe its dual language audio.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Erin is Junko. She's
sharing the role with the actress you here in that YT clip
for a reason that's almost certainly a spoiler.

Ohh ok.

Then you are tone-deaf. That is some of the poorest acting I've heard in awhile. Simply unacceptable that anyone would consider releasing a product like that in this day and age.

Maybe I'm just used to the old 90s acting. 's what I grew up on I guess.

Levito

Banned
Haven't looked into it in my time playing, but it looks like you can't change the voice track while actually playing. That person I mentioned earlier playing through on the dub actually initially messaged me because they were trying to figure out how to switch it without starting the game over.

On the other hand, the Japanese track is fucking fantastic. There's no reason at all to play through on english. It's just like Persona in that very little of the dialog is actually voiced anyway.

That's exactly how I'd put it.

Squire

Banned

I'm at 1:21 and there pretty much hasn't been a single good line yet. Really makes me appreciate Atlus's work now. Even if they're not perfect, they actually sound like they're trying to act.

Oh yeah, Atlus is doing some of if not the best JP to English dubs in the industry. There's a reason we're bothering to pester these actors. They're good and Atlus takes their time with the writing and the recording.

Sophia

Maybe I'm just used to the old 90s acting. 's what I grew up on I guess.

Hey I grew up playing games like Vay and Lunar. Wasn't exactly the most stellar of acting back then, but at least they tried. There was effort involved. This... here with Danganronpa... that's not trying.

Levito

Banned
It should go without saying that I'm not one of those dub hating anime fans. It's always a case by case basis with me.

This is not a good dub.

Gazoinks

P1P question: Is there any particular stat I should emphasize? Right now I've been evenly distributing between Vit, Dex, and Agi, but would it be better to try to max one over the others like Tec in P2?

Kazzy

Whether that's an unfair representation of the voice acting or not (being that it's such a small excerpt) , the point stands that it's bad!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think for me, a lot of it comes from the fact that I cannot stand a lot of the high pitched voices in anime/Vidya.

Like, if I had to play Persona 4 with Rise's Japanese VA, I'd probably quit playing.

Astra

I can see how that voice acting would be considered bland, but it's not offensive to my ears. Like Jello, I'm so used to uninspired VA of the 90s. On the plus side, it makes competent VA sound all the better to me.

Also, Levito, what have you done to your hair!?

FluxWaveZ

Anyone actually know why this year supposedly marks Atlus' 25th anniversary when they've existed for longer than 25 years?

Edit: Only thing I can think of is they're somehow ignoring the 3 years between the Takara acquisition and the Index acquisition for some reason.

kewlmyc

It should go without saying that I'm not one of those dub hating anime fans. It's always a case by case basis with me.

This is not a good dub.

Already played it in Japanese so I'll be playing it with the dub this time around. The voices are not the best, but I don't see how it's awful. Everyone except for three people sound fine to me. You're making it sound like it's Chaos Wars bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Caladrius

Anyone actually know why this year supposedly marks Atlus' 25th anniversary when they've existed for longer than 25 years?

I was initially under the impression it coincided with the release of one of the Megami Tensei games, but the release dates don't match up. It may have been when they got the trademark. The company logo is noticeably absent from the packaging of both Megami Tensei games.

In other ATLUS news I got a Nintendo 64 and Snowboard Kids 2. Huzzah! Now I need to find Paper Mario, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64 and the Mario Parties. It's been 10 long yearssssss...

Squire

Banned
I liked 90s anime acting, too. I mean, you're talking to someone who thought as a child that DBZ and Digimon Adventure were the heights of dramatic storytelling.

This is awful.

Edit: Only thing I can think of is they're somehow ignoring the 3 years between the Takara acquisition and the Index acquisition for some reason.

In the announcement they said that "Next year is the 25th anniversary of the Atlus brand".

...if that helps.

kewlmyc

I liked 90s anime acting, too. I mean, you're talking to someone who thought as a child that DBZ and Digimon Adventure were the heights of dramatic storytelling.

This is awful.

It's only the introduction though. Each character only had one line. Not really enough to say it's awful. Well, unless there's more footage out there. Everyone sounds fine for the most part in the Prologue.

Squire

Banned
It's only the introduction though. Each character only had one line. Not really enough to say it's awful. Well, unless there's more footage out there. Everyone sounds fine for the most part in the Prologue.

Like I said on the previous page, that excuse doesn't cut it for me. I liked P4's cast from line one onwards. Here, it's the opposite.

And it's NISA. I've played their games before. This is how their dubs are. Not good.

Edit: I see. The wording on "brand" might be the important part, then. Yeah, that could explain the weirdness, though it doesn't explain why.

That's what I thought, but I can't find anything of note. Closest is Atlus USA being established in 1991, but that's still 2 years of.

Levito

Banned
Actually, I'd argue that a character introduction is one of the most important parts in any story. A moment that they'd want to get down in ADR, because it sets a precedent. If the introduction is bad, a lot of people are going to be turned off on the whole thing.

You know, a first impression.

Squire

Banned
Actually, I'd argue that a character introduction is one of the most important parts in any story. A moment that they'd want to get down in ADR, because it sets a precedent. If the introduction is bad, a lot of people are going to be turned off by it.

You know, a first impression.

All that needs to be said, really. This video is my first impression of that cast and they screwed the pooch.

NISA likes casting amateurs and unknowns. It's good for the actors and the budget, but not so great for the final product. Hell, when I played Totori Plus last year, I really liked Cordelia; You could make a strong argument that half the reason was because it was Wendee Lee doing solid work.

FluxWaveZ

That's what I thought, but I can't find anything of note. Closest is Atlus USA being established in 1991, but that's still 2 years of.

It seems trying to match it up based on game dates doesn't really work and neither does the establishment of Atlus USA.

Again, might be some weird, possibly semantic details concerning acquisitions, renamings or something which was a period where they felt the "Atlus brand" wasn't present.

I guess all that matters is that they consider it's their 25th anniversary, but it'd be weird if they're just stating that because a lot of Atlus projects are to be released in 2014 and were like: "they'll never notice it's not actually our 25th anniversary."

Would have loved a logo.

Squire

Banned
Terrible, fucking terrible. I knew this was going to happen when NISA picked it up. Kinda salty that Arc or Atlus didn't bring it over.

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt that day. Happy someone got it, but it had to be them? This game? The one with a JP cast full of acting luminaries gets a shitty dub for the states? It's really sadly ironic.

It seems trying to match it up based on game dates doesn't really work and neither does the establishment of Atlus USA.

Again, might be some weird, possibly semantic details concerning acquisitions, renamings or something which was a period where they felt the "Atlus brand" wasn't present.

I guess all that matters is that they consider it's their 25th anniversary, but it'd be weird if they're just stating that because a lot of Atlus projects are to be released in 2014 and were like: "they'll never notice it's not actually our 25th anniversary."

Would have loved a logo.

The only thing I can find is http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/Atlus?from=Main.Atlus That says Atlus started publishing in 1989.

Eh.....Those voices aren't terrible as your saying them to be, only three I can say are kinda awful. The rest are decent.
I was initially under the impression it coincided with the release of one of the Megami Tensei games, but the release dates don't match up. It may have been when they got the trademark. The company logo is noticeably absent from the packaging of both Megami Tensei games.

In other ATLUS news I got a Nintendo 64 and Snowboard Kids 2. Huzzah! Now I need to find Paper Mario, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64 and the Mario Parties. It's been 10 long yearssssss...
Namco bought the publishing rights to the original novels back in the day. ATLUS only developed it.
Here are some commericals from then that actually say Namco instead of ATLUS.
Megami Tensei II commerical
Megami Tensei Commerical II

ATLUS started publishing games around 1989, so that's where the 25th anniversary comes from.
AAAAHHHHHHH........Not gonna be sleeping well tonight.

Top Bottom