• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you rearrange the letters in Armada you get Soejima! It all makes sense!

#FollowTheMoney

I rearranged it and only found #kittyglitter

you guys :p also, I image searched Ayane Matsunaga

tumblr_n2hrtq0CEv1tv4wjto1_1280.jpg

Persona Q's site put up recaps of P3 and P4. You might have seen these in the announcement stream.
Holy cow! Those recaps are really full of spoilers! Kinda weird that they used the P3P version of the game.

So PersonaGAF, what is your favorite game you played this year?
Persona 3/4. :p

Speaking of Adachi,
he used to be an elite detective, but a mistake cost him his career. He's actually very good at his job, but Soejima found that people are genuinely talented tend to have quirks/lacking in some areas. He tried to reflect that in Adachi's design; Adachi looks like someone who isn't very concerned with his appearance.
This one is really interesting!
I wonder if one of these days they will end up revealing what was that mistake that costed him his job.
Thanks for the info PK!

Levito

Banned
People are hating on Dark Souls 2? I was under the impression most people liked it, huh.

I dunno if you tackled this already, but with all this #Miiquality stuff going on, you ever considered an episode about how Persona tackles sexuality and the like? Kind of as a follow-up to the "mature" episode, perhaps (though admittedly I've still got that to listen to). Might be a bit heavy, but could be something meaty.

I'm always available as a guest, course. :p

We did that for the 3rd episode, it's an interesting topic for sure. Not sure if I want to touch it again right now though, especially after what happened here in the CT the other day.

You should come on some time!

Dantis

So I came across full-res art of Isabeau from SMT4 earlier, and I thought I'd share it.

http://i.imgur.com/lcsYNhh.jpg

I love seeing art at this kind of resolution, because it lets you see so much more of the process behind the actual image. Also, Doi's art has come so far since the days of Trauma Center. His polish here is honestly about equal with Soejima's. It's completely insane.

I still want to draw the Investigation Team dressed up in SMT4 outfits at some point, but it's kind of one thing in a huge pile of different Persona fanart projects I want to do.

Could you link that instead Dantis? That is killing me trying to load this page.

EDIT: Reminds me of finding super duper hires art of Ai Ebihara and seeing that she actually has like little designs on her nails, a detail you couldn't possibly see in anything but the highest of high res art.

Setsu00

Doi's anatomy (esp. Jonathan's) is still kinda wonky, but I love his art for SMTIV. His work on P2: EPP wasn't that bad, either.

Dantis

Doi's anatomy (esp. Jonathan's) is still kinda wonky, but I love his art for SMTIV. His work on P2: EPP wasn't that bad, either.

Hmm? Do you have any problems with the picture I linked? Genuinely interested to know, because the anatomy looks fine to me.

tumblr_n5bueuDR8K1tt73w0o1_1280.png

Random Enemy Shadow designs

I had started the next P4 Persona design but I ended up realizing I wasn’t going to even come close to finishing it within the week and wanted to upload something, so I drew these things up. I wanted something quick that didn’t require much thought, and enemy shadows are perfect for that—they’re pretty nonsensical.

Top left is what I call a “Nychoid.” Like a robotic velociraptor, or something. Gave me an excuse to draw a dinosaur, my actual drawing passion.

The bottom one is a “Shadow Boxer,” because sometimes I like dumb visual puns.

That’s it.

I had started the next P4 Persona design but I ended up realizing I wasn’t going to even come close to finishing it within the week and wanted to upload something, so I drew these things up. I wanted something quick that didn’t require much thought, and enemy shadows are perfect for that—they’re pretty nonsensical.

Top left is what I call a “Nychoid.” Like a robotic velociraptor, or something. Gave me an excuse to draw a dinosaur, my actual drawing passion.

That’s it.

Im in love with the boxing one!

LX_Theo

Banned

That’s it.

The raptor design is pretty awesome. I have no idea how it would tie in (though i suppose that doesn't take much effort), but its pretty cool.

Mononoke

Banned
Not sure if it's Kosher to ask here...

But as you guys know, Persona is my favorite series of all time. I love it. After I graduated from University and had some time off, I marathoned through all the major Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games. But man, the withdrawal has been bad. So bad, I bought Conception II despite knowing how whacky the concept of the game was. Well, the game didn't even come close to Persona. Oh boy, don't really need to go too much into it. I didn't entirely hate it, but it just felt like a very poor knock off of it, with some pretty shameless aspects to it.

ALL THAT SAID, I was wondering if there is any other Vita games that have romance options in it. I'm not looking for games that are entirely centered around it. I'm about to beat Conception today, and really don't know what to play next. My guess is, there probably isn't anything else like Persona :( But if you guys have any recommendations, I would be open to them. I MIGHT just try Demon Gaze. I know it doesn't have any romance, but it seems like a fun enough game. I know my options are pretty limited, seeing as I'm looking for localized titles.

Dantis

But as you guys know, Persona is my favorite series of all time. I love it. After I graduated from University and had some time off, I marathoned through all the major Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games. But man, the withdrawal has been bad. So bad, I bought Conception II despite knowing how whacky the concept of the game was. Well, the game didn't even come close to Persona. Oh boy, don't really need to go too much into it. I didn't entirely hate it, but it just felt like a very poor knock off of it, with some pretty shameless aspects to it.

ALL THAT SAID, I was wondering if there is any other Vita games that have romance options in it. I'm not looking for games that are entirely centered around it. I'm about to beat Conception today, and really don't know what to play next. My guess is, there probably isn't anything else like Persona :( But if you guys have any recommendations, I would be open to them. I MIGHT just try Demon Gaze. I know it doesn't have any romance, but it seems like a fun enough game. I know my options are pretty limited, seeing as I'm looking for localized titles.

There's the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games, I guess? They're not shmutty about it, but they're also pretty far removed from Persona.

I can't think of any other JRPGs with similar systems, off the top of my head.

Danganronpa has some amazing romance options.

Is that in School Life mode? Because I don't remember any romance in the main game.

PK Gaming

Have you considered DanganRonpa? It's a murder mystery game with a solid narrative and a great cast. There's a game mechanic (called Free time event) that offers some "Persona-esque" character connections.

20131104174216_thumb1.jpg

They're not nearly as in depth as Persona, but they're enjoyable and interesting.

2014-01-27-215515.jpg

Beating the game grants you access to "school mode" which has the aforementioned Free time event + some light romance sections. It's worth checking out.

Mononoke

Banned
There's the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games, I guess? They're not shmutty about it, but they're also pretty far removed from Persona.

I can't think of any other JRPGs with similar systems, off the top of my head.

Is that in School Life mode? Because I don't remember any romance in the main game.

Yeah I figured that much. :(

I actually have played Rune Factory. I enjoyed it! Played that and Harvest Moon back on the 3DS. I just wish there were more Japanese games with romance in them. Although I guess I'm just trying to fill the void that Persona has left. =/

Kind of sucks that some of these games are smutty. I really like Japanese games. I just feel a bit uneasy about it when it goes into the extreme territory (the Otaku/pervy stuff) or whatever you call it. Oh well.

Have you considered DanganRonpa? It's a murder mystery game with a solid narrative and a great cast. There's a game mechanic (called Free time event) that offers some "Persona-esque" character connections.

20131104174216_thumb1.jpg

They're not nearly as indepth as Persona, but they're enjoyable and interesting.

2014-01-27-215515.jpg

Beating the game grants you access to "school mode" which has the aforementioned Free time event + some light romance.

Oh my god you are awesome. I actually forgot that I got this back when it came out last month, but never played it. I'm going to boot it up after Conception and play it. :D I really loved 999 and Virtues Last Reward. Can't believe I sat on this. I actually went to Japan when it came out, so that's why I forgot.

Dantis

They're not nearly as in depth as Persona, but they're enjoyable and interesting.

I would kiiiiiinda debate this. :/

Yeah I figured that much. :(

I actually have played Rune Factory. I enjoyed it! Played that and Harvest Moon back on the 3DS. I just wish there were more Japanese games with romance in them. Although I guess I'm just trying to fill the void that Persona has left. =/

Kind of sucks that some of these games are smutty. I really like Japanese games. I just feel a bit uneasy about it when it goes into the extreme territory (the Otaku/pervy stuff) or whatever you call it. Oh well.

Yup, there isn't really much that's like Persona. I can't say that the romance stuff in P3 and P4 does anything for me, but I really like the social links as a whole. I think it's a great way to portray interesting and realistic characters.

It's just occurred to me that Devil Survivor 2 might have some kind of S Link system or something? I seem to remember some people complaining about it. I'm not sure though, so you should seek clarification. :p

Oh my god you are awesome. I actually forgot that I got this back when it came out last month, but never played it. I'm going to boot it up after Conception and play it. :D I really loved 999 and Virtues Last Reward. Can't believe I sat on this. I actually went to Japan when it came out, so that's why I forgot.

Ha! It sounds like you'll probably like it if you liked VLR. They're not really similar, but I think players of one will probably appreciate the other.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not saying that the free time sections in DanganRonpa are bad, but there's not all that much to them. They're pretty short and don't really develop much. They're less like S Links and more like Tales skits, in my opinion.
Well PK did say they're not nearly as in depth as Slinks :p. I don't think anyone would say they are, but it is a valid comparison for someone who has played Persona and not DR.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm not saying that the free time sections in DanganRonpa are bad, but there's not all that much to them. They're pretty short and don't really develop much. They're less like S Links and more like Tales skits, in my opinion.

That's okay, I really enjoyed Virtues Last Reward and 999. So while there might not be romance/in depth relationship (S Link) style system, I think I'll enjoy the overall style of the game.

EDIT: But I do appreciate you clarifying so I didn't go in with false expectations.

PK Gaming

Well PK did say they're not nearly as in depth as Slinks :p. I don't think anyone would say they are, but it is a valid comparison for someone who has played Persona and not DR.

Exactly

You get a fun little scene + some decent character development (or in some cases vital, like in Takamaru's case)

They're a lot better in the 2nd game though

HeelPower

guys I am really in a dilemma.

I have both Persona 3 and 4 on my PS3 and I don't know which to play.My friends keep telling me conflicting thoughts about what to play.

I am also wondering if its better to hold off till Persona 5 releases and enjoy its HD goodness as my entry to the series.

Idk what to do.

I have both Persona 3 and 4 on my PS3 and I don't know which to play.My friends keep telling me conflicting thoughts about what to play.

My opinion would be to start with 3, but I'm not sure if one more generic vote will help.

What did they say about each game?

I am also wondering if its better to hold off till Persona 5 releases and enjoy its HD goodness as my entry to the series.

Idk what to do.

I would say play 3 then 4. A lot of people argue about which story is better (I personally think 4), but its nearly universally accepted that the gameplay is better in 4.
The reason I say play 3 then 4 is that it feels like progression, rather than playing 4 then 3 which can feel like a step backwards which could skew your opinion of an otherwise great game.

Idk what to do.

Persona 3 is the better place to start. If you go Persona 4 first you'll have tough time going back due to the lack of some features found in P4. Also, there's are some call backs to P3 that you won't get unless you play it.

Do Mondo's. It's great and really, really develops him beyond the "tough guy" stereotype he is in the story proper.

Acid08

Banned

Idk what to do.
3 then 4. There are references to 3 in 4 that you'll be able to appreciate much more if you play 3 first. And, while I looooooove 3, it would be best to play the game with more dated mechanics first. Will be make playing 4 even sweeter.

Mononoke

Banned
I think Persona 4 is a great way to be introduced to the series. IMO it has the most polished gameplay/dungeon designs in the series. I've come to like the story more than 3 too (that wasn't always the case though, this is something that I came to realize after multiple playthrough's). But really, I think it's a really smooth/polished experience.

That said, I'm not sure how it would be going from 4 back to 3 (for the first time playing each one). I almost feel like it would be better to play 3, and then get to 4 so the progression/'improvements feel forward vs. taking a step back. Also as Acid08 said, you would appreciate the universe more if you started 3 first. So while I think Persona 4 would be a good way to get someone into the series, I would still say 3 first.

And NO, there is no way I would wait for Persona 5. You won't regret playing these now.

HeelPower

My opinion would be to start with 3, but I'm not sure if one more generic vote will help.

I would say play 3 then 4. A lot of people argue about which story is better (I personally think 4), but its nearly universally accepted that the gameplay is better in 4.
The reason I say play 3 then 4 is that it feels like progression, rather than playing 4 then 3 which can feel like a step backwards which could skew your opinion of an otherwise great game.

Persona 3 is the better place to start. If you go Persona 4 first you'll have tough time going back due to the lack of some features found in P4. Also, there's are some call backs to P3 that you won't get unless you play it.

One of my friends doesn't like the change of tone from 3 to 4 and he is P3 loyalist.

The other thinks 4 is a massive inarguable improvement over 3.

It seems most of you are recommending 3 then 4.

And NO, there is no way I would wait for Persona 5. You won't regret playing these now.

very interesting.I just have no past experience with the series and that's why I was thinking of waiting till 5 i.e I amnot addicted yet.

I guess I should go ahead and start playing either way.

Acid08

Banned
One of my friends doesn't like the change of tone from 3 to 4 and he is P3 loyalist.

Gameplay wise 4 is inarguably better than 3. Story wise it's really up to personal taste.

Dantis

Do Mondo's. It's great and really, really develops him beyond the "tough guy" stereotype he is in the story proper.

Mondo's was one of the ones I didn't do, funnily enough. :p

In the ones I did do though, there wasn't really any character development to speak of. Like I say, they reminded me a lot of Tales skits.

Mondo's was one of the ones I didn't do, funnily enough. :p

In the ones I did do though, there wasn't really any character development to speak of. Like I say, they reminded me a lot of Tales skits.

Well then what are you waiting for? At least watch it on YouTube or something, because it'll give you a new appreciation of the character. Give Taka's a look while you're at it, too.

2014-01-27-215515.jpg

Beating the game grants you access to "school mode" which has the aforementioned Free time event + some light romance sections. It's worth checking out.

Oh man, school mode. Grinding to get that platinum trophy made my last impression of this game a bad one. However, I couldn't put the game down while playing story mode. Such a good game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Start with 4 because its better. Its probably a lot easier to transition from 4 to 3 simply because you're less likely to up and quit 4.

We did that for the 3rd episode, it's an interesting topic for sure. Not sure if I want to touch it again right now though, especially after what happened here in the CT the other day.

You should come on some time!

No point repeating old ground, agreed. Although if it's controversial then all the more reason to touch it, hehe.

I'll be happy to come on any time regardless.

Dantis

Oh man, school mode. Grinding to get that platinum trophy made my last impression of this game a bad one. However, I couldn't put the game down while playing story mode. Such a good game.

I never even bothered with it. I really enjoyed the main game (except for the ending), but I only heard bad things about School Mode.

LX_Theo

Banned

I consider 4 the better, since it has better gameplay and the rest of it can go either way based on preferences. I'd say 3, then 4 simply so you can go from great to even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom