• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I guess you could say Victory Cry really fires Junpei up

2%28549%29.png

I've always found it funny when people mention/hope for (mega P4 spoilers)
Adachi in P4A without spoilering it. Which immediately gives away that 1. There's something special about him and 2. He has a Persona.
P3 and P4 are games where mentioning anything for sequels/EU stuff pretty much goes into instant spoiler territory lol

kewlmyc

Sounds like Danganronpa 2 is a better game? I'm still early in the game, but damn. I'm liking it, but I'm already learning to
not get attached to anyone. :(
Both are amazing, yet DR2 somehow manages to be universally agreed on to be better than the original. All of ya'll will enjoy it.

I guess you could say Victory Cry really fires Junpei up
That was awful even by your low standards.

Mononoke

Banned
Both are amazing, yet DR2 somehow manages to be universally agreed on to be better than the original. All of ya'll will enjoy it.

That was awful even by your low standards.

Really can't wait. I'm really digging DR. I really need to just start making a list of Japanese games that are going to be localized in the coming months. I know Mind Zero is coming this month (don't know anything about it though). I've been using my Vita so much playing catch up on Japanese titles.

I've always found it funny when people mention/hope for (mega P4 spoilers)
Adachi in P4A without spoilering it. Which immediately gives away that 1. There's something special about him and 2. He has a Persona.
P3 and P4 are games where mentioning anything for sequels/EU stuff pretty much goes into instant spoiler territory lol

But
he already does show up in P4AU, during the supposed dark hour, they already spoiled him, but now they are wanting him to be playable and not just an npc.

These images spoil an aspect of Persona 4

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Persona-4-The-Ultimax-5.jpg?57efa4

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/screen_kubrick/0/26/2574052-screen+shot+2013-11-24+at+9.47.30+am.png

Oh, I think I understand the context you are saying this, never mind if I am correct :p

Concerning the P4 spoilers in Ultimax...

It will be pretty silly if Adachi's not playable but they just spoil it anyway. Arena is actually pretty good about not spoiling that, I wonder why they would suddenly change their mind for something so insignificant as an NPC appearance in story mode only.

Adachi is one character that I think needs a redesign for his Ultimax appearance. Him just showing up in his work clothes is pretty silly. He should have like a prison uniform or something. That'd be neat. Or they could turn him into a ridiculous out of character superhero if he's playable, that'd be terrible, but in character with the rest of the game.

But
he already does show up in P4AU, during the supposed dark hour, they already spoiled him, but now they are wanting him to be playable and not just an npc.

These images spoil an aspect of Persona 4

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Persona-4-The-Ultimax-5.jpg?57efa4

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/screen_kubrick/0/26/2574052-screen+shot+2013-11-24+at+9.47.30+am.png

Oh, I think I understand the context you are saying this, never mind if I am correct :p

Is this from P4A2? I haven't seen this stuff.

In other news I'm about to play my first SMT game where I can't spend a long time with a teenaged anime girl.

^if you're interested in Persona's story and have not at least beaten 4 you're probably doing it wrong anyway

Is this from P4A2? I haven't seen this stuff.

In other news I'm about to play my first SMT game where I can't spend a long time with a teenaged anime girl.

^if you're interested in Persona's story and have not at least beaten 4 you're probably doing it wrong anyway

What game?

Soriku

The databook makes it clear that Kunino-Sagiri, Ameno-Sagiri, and
Izanami
are shadows. Izanami in particular is based on myth of
Izanagi & Izanami

What does this mean?
Izanami wasn't the actual goddess, but just a shadow based off her?
If so, that's disappointing...

LX_Theo

Banned
What does this mean?
I thought that was heavily implied in the gane anyways. Honestly, it could be both. As in,
they are born from human minds, bit have the power of the gods to the point that their role in the world is basically the same as though they were not shadows.
That way, the implications of either way would be true, which is an idea I find fascinating.

What does this mean?

No its not. It means that the IT literally beat all of mankind's desire for ignorance. I love it that all the Person final bosses are just the personification of mankind's emotions and desires, it reminds me of my other great love, 40k (if the chaos gods were actually beatable)

wmlk

I thought that was heavily implied in the gane anyways. Honestly, it could be both. As in,
they are born from human minds, bit have the power of the gods to the point that their role in the world is basically the same as though they were not shadows.
That way, the implications of either way would be true, which is an idea I find fascinating.

WOW. Then the whole idea of people seeing what they want to see ties in perfectly with the mythology. I always wondered what the point was to having
Izanami and Izanagi
in the game, so this finally makes sense.

Soriku

No its not. It means that the IT literally beat all of mankind's desire for ignorance. I love it that all the Person final bosses are just the personification of mankind's emotions and desires, it reminds me of my other great love, 40k (if the chaos gods were actually beatable)

That's the same whether
Izanami was a goddess or not
. That aspect is cool, but it's cooler if they beat
a goddess
on top of that.

More or less. They all come from the collective unconsciousness.

Nyx was an alien (or something) though.

I hope P5 doesn't across as too formulaic, since based on its theme the party will have to fight against mankind's desire for enslavement I suppose, and in P3 we had a desire for death and P4 a desire for ignorance.

Edit: I haven't played Catherine (though I know much of the story, though not all the details), but can something similar be applied to that game too?

Jintor

goddamnit PK

all that fucking caution in the dr thread down the drain because I had to get curious in a completely different thread

i'm disgusted with myself

CorvoSol

I would say that Smile Hirasaka is Hell since I'm wandering around with that godawful firealarm BLARING the entire time, but then again, given the clues leading us to this place, being Hell is sort of the point.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, been trying to square away another run of P4G to finally nab that Platinum and more importantly, catalog all the extra Golden conversational content, like the night events and Junes eavesdropping. I've got a running screenshot folder that I'll unleash once I'm confident I've seen as much as possible. In the meantime, some random thoughts on the game since it's been a bit since I've properly played it.

- P4G makes it insanely easy to speed-run dungeons on NG+(+). Just beeline it to the floor exit and hit a weirdly abundant number of Golden Hands on your way to equalize your level for the boss.
- Chie talks about meat a lot during her night events.
- I will forever fail to understand how there are people who don't dig Yosuke. His Rank 8 Social Link event is stellar (probably one of the best handled single events in the whole game) and while his 'shadow' isn't given the benefit of contextualization like most of the others in the game, I think his personal issues and the core of his self-loathing present one of the more interesting situations in the game.
- I hadn't really noticed before, but wow, this game aggressively foists Yukiko on you. "You detect a faint hint of love from Yukiko" in like... her Rank 4. Jeez. Calm down, girl.
- I've never actually done Ayane's social link before. At least, never took it that seriously. I... uh, I don't feel like I was missing that much. Not a lot happens.
- Daisuke is sort of the same deal, but I'm not that far in his Social Link, so I'll lend him the benefit of the doubt for now.
- Ai is rad, though.

Charlie/Yukiko is PROBABLY the intended pairing, if there ever was one. She's like the only character with a semblance of proper maturity, without the teenage naivety the other girls in the Inestigation have - which fits Charlie, given he's obviously got his head on straight, getting shit done.

She's boring as hell, of course, but hey, so is Charlie really. So I'm not surprised they kinda get to the point on that one. I think it fits.

(It's not Rise, anyway. She's just overly competitive.)

Squire

Banned
I wish it hit harder, but there's some brilliant subtlety going on in Ayane's link that I think anyone who's ever been the black sheep or the outsider can relate too.

Especially if you're shy/have had to overcome severe shyness. That's what keeps Ayane from communicating and connecting with people and why she's ostracized. Of course, that's extremely common. Her Rank 8 scene is great.

Hot Coldman said:
She's boring as hell, of course, but hey, so is Charlie really. So I'm not surprised they kinda get to the point on that one. I think it fits.

Not you, too, Coldman. Not like this.

Setsu00

Hmm? Do you have any problems with the picture I linked? Genuinely interested to know, because the anatomy looks fine to me.

Isabeau's artwork is fine, even though I believe there's one expression she has that looks totally awkward.

This portrait of Jonathan is one of the main offenders, I think.
SMT4_int_002_thumb.jpg

The angle of his face kinda freaks me out.

Not you, too, Coldman. Not like this.

I like the character, especially when her hidden sense of humour or wrath pop out, but her arc is her worrying about responsibilities of inheritance. It's a bit dull. And naturally Chie and Rise are flashier. (Plus Naoto is virtually on par with Charlie in the role she plays unravelling the case.)

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Basically, there probably won't be anything cool outside of some interviews we won't be understanding anyways. Even PSC has scoops that the magazine doesn't get but, then again, maybe there'll be some cool exclusive P4U2 info since it'll be the only unreleased game they've started actively promoting featured in the revived issues.

I never intended my work on the Hashino interview to be a one-time thing. ;D If I find an interesting interview in future issues, it'll get its due coverage and/or translation depending on where it runs. Would love to do it the same way as last time because it made such a fun splash online, but at minimum, you can expect to see me cover it on Gematsu or something and I almost always translate the entirety of interviews I work on there.

...although if I can manage to do it the same as before, it'd probably be the second time in Siliconera's existence they'd actually credit my work. They gave me my props for the Hashino interview when that ran and I think that's entirely because they're unaware of how to track down a copy of that magazine online outside Japan. ;D

- I will forever fail to understand how there are people who don't dig Yosuke. His Rank 8 Social Link event is stellar (probably one of the best handled single events in the whole game) and while his 'shadow' isn't given the benefit of contextualization like most of the others in the game, I think his personal issues and the core of his self-loathing present one of the more interesting situations in the game.

Yep. One of the best social links in the entire game.

(Plus Naoto is virtually on par with Charlie in the role she plays unravelling the case.)

She's P4's Metis.

OK, rephrase: what does that mean? Annoying? Exposition dumper?

Pretty much. I mean Naoto has a unique presence in the group regardless. She's the pragmatic killjoy personality. A straight man even to Yosuke. I just don't associate the good of this character with her being this blatant tool for the narrative.

Fair enough. I didn't necessarily mean I like her because she drops plot details first (anyone could do that, doesn't make them interesting), I just like her professional manner with Dojima and the like. There's a number of scenes towards the end,
especially when Dojima is hospitalised
, where it's just Charlie and Naoto figuring shit out or whatever.

Basically she comes across as reliably inquisitive. Her position as a "straight man" is probably my least favourite aspect, or at least how much it's used for comic relief (although that might just be the localisation; a lot of those jokes don't really land, personally.)

Dantis

Isabeau's artwork is fine, even though I believe there's one expression she has that looks totally awkward.

SMT4_int_002_thumb.jpg

Honestly, that looks about right for the angle to me, considering the style of the art.

She's P4's Metis.

Maybe in the main plot. I like her in some of the day-to-day scenes though.

PK Gaming

goddamnit PK

all that fucking caution in the dr thread down the drain because I had to get curious in a completely different thread

i'm disgusted with myself

I sent you a PM.

Couldn't agree more. His rank 8 is goddamned incredible.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

SMT4_int_002_thumb.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with that face? I've never been good at art though, maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom