• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

I know we can post scans of ads, so here:

(P3 Late Game Spoilers)
"Huh, now how did we get in this situation twice?"

Think I had my first ever persona related dream last night...

Was waiting in a line in times square with some people from PersonaGAF. Line was for Persona Q I think? Not sure, anyway it was Buddha, Omi, and myself together. Buddha was in a Maya cosplay, no shaming it up. When out of no where a Makoto cosplayer with a gang of other P3 cosplayers walked up to him and said "No one cares about Persona 2!" all his buddies stared giving eachother high fives. Buddha said nothing, but instead just lept at the dude, and they got in like a hockey fight, basically like this. Omi for some reason had a huge camera and photographed the whole thing.

I don't remember anything other than that.

fJ9kmiR.jpg

GMD4XfK.jpg

PK Gaming

-It looks like Rise's got 4 Persona cards. Hopefully her fighting style isn't just pure zoning, but rather a mix of both.
-Her Persona's new form is pretty dope.
-Her manager Inoue has a sprite now. HEH
-Shadow Rise has the best expressions (That victory artwork!)

I know we can post scans of ads, so here:
Oooo, the ad looks awesome.
What does the DLC at the bottom of the ad refer to? Does it mean the bonus "scenario" that will be included in first prints of the game?
It's referring to the "additional scenario" that will be coming with first-print runs of game, though what this "additional scenario is anyone's guess.
Could even be Rise's for all we know.

Levito

Banned
Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona characters *actually* learn how to fight?

I don't think Rise fighting is less believable than say Yukiko.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
The majority of the Famitsu issue is actually about Persona Q. Guess it's being overshadowed hardcore by the P4U2 stuff.

It's because everyone knows that character reveals are the hypest shit lol.
Reeeeeeeaaally looking forward to seeing how Ken looks.
I hope he has arguments with Naoto over who's shorter, that would just be amazing.

FluxWaveZ

Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona protagonists *actually* learn how to fight?

Where is this crowd?

And that comparison doesn't work, because Yukiko fights in Persona 4 and Rise does not. Precedent; it's that simple.

Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona protagonists *actually* learn how to fight?

Is it ever explicitly said that she *can't* fight? I always assumed that she just took on the helper role as it suited her.

Dantis

Who cares? Are you really buying P4DAN for the plot?

You're really concerned about that?

I thought you'd already written these games off, narratively.

I'd just rather it was stand alone, is all.

If it has a story mode, I'll play through it, and if it references Ultimax to a large degree then it will be most likely referencing something I haven't played. And I'd just rather it was a fresh start.

FluxWaveZ

Yes, small but it's there.

Yes, but Yukiko didn't exactly have a martial arts background in P4, she just knew how to fight somehow. Just seems weird.

I haven't seen anyone complain about this post-reveal. All I've seen is people complain about these supposed complainers.

Yukiko has a Persona that can cast powerful flames. In P4, I don't think it was common for players to simply attack with Yukiko and not use her skills, because that's where her power lies. If you look at her fighting style in P4A, it's based on interpretive dance, which was done on purpose because, yeah, she doesn't have any martial art techniques.

Not to mention that gaining a Persona naturally enhances an individual's combat aptitude, explained in EP's Tatsuya scenario.

Levito

Banned
Shame Ryotaro Dojima with Nanako as his Persona didn't make it onto the cast of playable characters this time around.. Woulda been glorious.

I haven't seen anyone complain about this post-reveal. All I've seen is people complain about these supposed complainers.

Several people I follow on twitter voiced this concern recently, thought it was weird.

Yukiko has a Persona that can cast powerful flames. If you look at her fighting style in P4A, it's based on interpretive dance, which was done on purpose because, yeah, she doesn't have any martial art techniques.

Not to mention that gaining a Persona naturally enhances an individual's combat aptitude, explained in EP's Tatsuya scenario.

Maybe they can apply something similar with Rise then, she can used her mad idol skills to shoulder roll her way to victory.

Squire

Banned
Seen the scans. That Rise is Dantis-tier.

Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona characters *actually* learn how to fight?

They're that, but more the "It doesn't make sense!" crowd. I mean, shit, none of it makes sense if we're keeping it real.

They're going to give her a move set. She will fight. This is simple math.

abrack08

Where is this crowd?

And that comparison doesn't work, because Yukiko fights in Persona 4 and Rise does not. Precedent; it's that simple.

I think the comparison DOES work though. Yukiko doesn't seem like the kind of person who would know how to fight pre-Persona, then she gets rescued by the IT and all of a sudden can kick ass with them. I mean, I know she gains a persona, but it doesn't really make sense that she all of a sudden can fight in Persona 4. Rise randomly being able to fight (I'm sure there will be SOME story explanation) isn't much more of a stretch.

Squire

Banned
I think the comparison DOES work though. Yukiko doesn't seem like the kind of person who would know how to fight pre-Persona, then she gets rescued by the IT and all of a sudden can kick ass with them. I mean, I know she gains a persona, but it doesn't really make sense that she all of a sudden can fight in Persona 4. Rise randomly being able to fight (I'm sure there will be SOME story explanation) isn't much more of a stretch.

Everyone can all of a sudden fight in P4. That's the thing.

FluxWaveZ

No, the comparison DOESN'T work. I'm not arguing that it doesn't make sense for Rise to be able to fight in P4U2. I'm saying that Yukiko fought in P4, but Rise did not fight in P4. That is an undeniable fact, which is why the comparison between them as playable characters in Arena does not work.

I will let it be known to the general public now, aside from my avatar bet with PK, I am also running one with Levito.

If I lose, I will have to use the dreaded
for two days after PK torments me with his avatar choice.

If I win, Levito is gonna get his david cage rage on.

Bl683zDCEAA_Wvi.jpg:large

Rocksxp

Neo Member
What does the DLC at the bottom of the ad refer to? Does it mean the bonus "scenario" that will be included in first prints of the game?
P4A2
The DLC could be the villains story mode since they apparently don't have one unless sho and SHO count as P4 characters.

Meia

Everyone can all of a sudden fight in P4. That's the thing.

Yeah. In Persona 3, they at least made the effort to have it make sense for each of the cast(barring one or two exceptions). I mean, Yukari's in archery club, Junpei swings the damn thing like a bat, Akihiko boxes, Ken's self-trained since you know what, Makoto can be in Kendo club, etc.

In Persona 4, you have Chie who's self-taught, Naoto who has a gun license, and Kanji is a street fighter. Just because Rise suddenly joins the crowd of the others(how the hell does Yukiko even know how to use fans as a weapon), doesn't mean it's something to complain about, as it's been that way all along. :p

Levito

Banned
An avatar bet among honourable folk. Let it be known.

No, the comparison DOESN'T work. I'm not arguing that it doesn't make sense for Rise to be able to fight in P4U2. I'm saying that Yukiko fought in P4, but Rise did not fight in P4. That is an undeniable fact, which is why the comparison between them as playable characters in Arena does not work.

Again, fair enough. I just don't think it's a massive stretch, Rise didn't fight in P4 but that doesn't mean she *can't* fight, who's to say her Persona can't strengthen her as well? It's fantasy, most of what's in the games can't be explained logically.

Didn't know about the Tatsuya thing, that's cool.

I know I'm out of the loop, but what's this PSC? Multiple people said it'll reveal Ken. Is that what the official Japanese P4U website is referencing?

kewlmyc

I will let it be known to the general public now, aside from my avatar bet with PK, I am also running one with Levito.

If I lose, I will have to use the dreaded

for two days after PK torments me with his avatar choice.

If I win, Levito is gonna get his david cage rage on.

Bl683zDCEAA_Wvi.jpg:large

Would be nice to know what the bet is.

EDIT: nvm.

abrack08

Obviously it's not the EXACT SAME situation, no one is arguing that, but you don't see the similarities? How the precedent is set? Inorigo is right, almost all of the characters don't know how to fight, gain a persona, then can fight. We also see Persona's evolve and gain new abilities. It's not outlandish that Rise's would gain the ability to fight depending on the circumstances. I think that's what Levito was saying, and that is what I'm saying.

It's not "HEY GUYS YUKIKO CAN FIGHT SO RISE CAN TOO", it's "Hey, it's not that different from when this happened in a previous game"

I feel Rise's Persona's new form seems to miss the entire point of a playable Rise. Would have been interesting to see her fight with her actual Persona, but to invent a new one on top of already having to invent an entire moveset, eh, I don't know. Might as well just make a new character. Feels like a wasted opportunity.

An avatar bet among honourable folk. Let it be known.

Again, fair enough. I just don't think it's a massive stretch, Rise didn't fight in P4 but that doesn't mean she *can't* fight, who's to say her Persona can't strengthen her as well? It's fantasy, most of what's in the games can't be explained logically.

Didn't know about the Tatsuya thing, that's cool.

There will be no backing out unlike some OTHER avatar bets made in the past

only honor.

yOAcoXO.png

I feel Rise's Persona's new form seems to miss the entire point of a playable Rise. Would have been interesting to see her fight with her actual Persona, but to invent a new one on top of already having to invent an entire moveset, eh, I don't know. Might as well just make a new character. Feels like a wasted opportunity.

I disagree, since people wanted playable Rise, not playable P4-form Himiko.

FluxWaveZ

Obviously it's not the EXACT SAME situation, no one is arguing that, but you don't see the similarities? How the precedent is set? Inorigo is right, almost all of the characters don't know how to fight, gain a persona, then can fight. We also see Persona's evolve and gain new abilities. It's not outlandish that Rise's would gain the ability to fight depending on the circumstances. I think that's what Levito was saying, and that is what I'm saying.

It's not "HEY GUYS YUKIKO CAN FIGHT SO RISE CAN TOO", it's "Hey, it's not that different from when this happened in a previous game"

Okay? Did you actually read the first comment I replied to? It was in the context of people saying that "it doesn't make sense", which I tied into the fact that Yukiko actually fights in P4 and Rise does not, thus Yukiko would be a playable character in P4A with basis, especially with plenty of skills and animations to use as a reference while Rise had none and they essentially had to start from scratch, with the sole concepts of music and analysis to use as fundamental points.

Like I said, I'm not arguing that Rise as a fighter doesn't make sense. That is not my stance here, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by telling me the above.

Additionally, I'm going to cite Tatsuya's EP scenario again for reasons as to why Persona users are able to fight.

Squire

Banned
I just realised that the first print DLC is probably an attempt to solve their reverse importation problem. Or at least, I bet that is a largely contributing factor.

Huh?

I still think it's going to be completely insubstantial like that BB Beach scene scebario, Myc mentioned, haha.

And I was just trying to rib you about your art. :) Seriousky speaking though you imitate Soejima well enough and you mostly do sketches. Rise's new promo art looks like that. I'd expect something cleaner for a promotional piece.

Yeah. In Persona 3, they at least made the effort to have it make sense for each of the cast(barring one or two exceptions). I mean, Yukari's in archery club, Junpei swings the damn thing like a bat, Akihiko boxes, Ken's self-trained since you know what, Makoto can be in Kendo club, etc.

In Persona 4, you have Chie who's self-taught, Naoto who has a gun license, and Kanji is a street fighter. Just because Rise suddenly joins the crowd of the others(how the hell does Yukiko even know how to use fans as a weapon), doesn't mean it's something to complain about, as it's been that way all along. :p

Yeah.

I think Flux' point about EP is interesting. Getting a Persona raises one's combat aptitude - that doesn't mean you automatically learn how to fight. I can throw a punch, right? I'm still no boxer.

Obviously P4 doesn't hold to this logic and never did. So...

No deep explanation required for why Rise fights I think.

Yep. But here we are! *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom