• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be no backing out unlike some OTHER avatar bets made in the past

only honor.

http://i.imgur.com/yOAcoXO.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey, I saw that bet through until the end. I wore that friggin' Labrys avatar like a badge of honour for almost two full months.

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavour, though. Your chances are a heck of a lot better than ours were, at least ;P

kewlmyc

You don't want playable Adachi? :p

Ready:

zxZ9vjx.jpg
oFp3tgQ.jpg

Wait, I though Buddha was him being playable. Nevermind then, I hope he loses.

Squire

Banned
I feel Rise's Persona's new form seems to miss the entire point of a playable Rise. Would have been interesting to see her fight with her actual Persona, but to invent a new one on top of already having to invent an entire moveset, eh, I don't know. Might as well just make a new character. Feels like a wasted opportunity.

They're grabbing the bull by the horns wrt one of the most popular characters in the series. I see your point, but if there's one thing this isn't it's a wasted opportunity.

They're making her a fighter. You obviously disagree with how they're going about that so far, but I think it's fair to mention that we still haven't seen her in action, so it's pretty early to judge. Feel free to disagree with their aesthetic choices, but the jury's out on the gameplay, which is of course the thing they have to nail here moreso than any other.

They're grabbing the bull by the horns wrt one of the most popular characters in the series. I see your point, but if there's one thing this isn't it's a wasted opportunity.

They're making her a fighter. You obviously disagree with how they're going about that so far, but I think it's fair to mention that we still haven't seen her in action, so it's pretty early to judge. Feel free to disagree with their aesthetic choices, but the jury's out on the gameplay, which is of course the thing they have to nail here moreso than any other.
I'm sure she'll be fine, gameplay wise, I haven't really had a problem with any Arena character there (save for Junpei's overdone baseball theme seeping into there). But as a crossover fighter I think getting the characters right visually is pretty important, and I think they've already made a pretty major misstep there.

abrack08

Okay? Did you actually read the first comment I replied to? It was in the context of people saying that "it doesn't make sense", which I tied into the fact that Yukiko actually fights in P4 and Rise does not, thus Yukiko would be a playable character in P4A with basis, especially with plenty of skills and animations to use as a reference while Rise had none and they essentially had to start from scratch, with the sole concepts of music and analysis to use as fundamental points.

Like I said, I'm not arguing that Rise as a fighter doesn't make sense. That is not my stance here, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by telling me the above.

Additionally, I'm going to cite Tatsuya's EP scenario again for reasons as to why Persona users are able to fight.

The original post you replied to was this one:
Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona characters *actually* learn how to fight?

I don't think Rise fighting is less believable than say Yukiko.

You said that comparison of Rise and Yukiko doesn't work, and I think it does and basically echoed what Levito originally said.

I did NOT see this follow up post until now which explained your point in more detail:
I haven't seen anyone complain about this post-reveal. All I've seen is people complain about these supposed complainers.

Yukiko has a Persona that can cast powerful flames. In P4, I don't think it was common for players to simply attack with Yukiko and not use her skills, because that's where her power lies. If you look at her fighting style in P4A, it's based on interpretive dance, which was done on purpose because, yeah, she doesn't have any martial art techniques.

Not to mention that gaining a Persona naturally enhances an individual's combat aptitude, explained in EP's Tatsuya scenario.

But I was never responding to that post and it seems somewhat unrelated to what Levito originally said, which seems to me to be about whether or not Rise should know how to fight.

EDIT: Also, hi P-Gaf. I've been lurking for a bit, I think these are my first few posts here. Off to a good start.

CorvoSol

Is anyone else puzzled by the "How can Rise fight she doesn't know how to fight" crowd? I mean, when did like... the overwhelming majority of Persona characters *actually* learn how to fight?

I don't think Rise fighting is less believable than say Yukiko.

This is a series where people say a game where a doggie and a robot maid girl joining your party is grimdark. On that same note, Koromaru knows how to wield a gosh darn dagger. If a dog can learn how to do that, Rise can sure as heck have figured out a thing or two from watching the IT do all its fighting.

It's a shame telescope solarsystem head won't be her person for these fights, though.

Squire

Banned
I'm sure she'll be fine, gameplay wise, I haven't really had a problem with any Arena character there (save for Junpei's overdone baseball theme seeping into there). But as a crossover fighter I think getting the characters right visually is pretty important, and I think they've already made a pretty major misstep there.

People's issues with the art are well-documented. I kinda feel like they were destined to lose on that front. Same goes for Ken.

Sophia

Koromaru isn't a playable character in Arena because dog-tier characters are way too unfair. See also: Iggy in the Stardust Crusaders fighter.

They could potentially balance him out if they took like a Shadow Labrys approach and had his Persona out most of the time. Make him have like really low HP, lots of Persona cards, and make him reliant on Persona for almost everything but auto combo.

hao chi

This is a series where people say a game where a doggie and a robot maid girl joining your party is grimdark. On that same note, Koromaru knows how to wield a gosh darn dagger. If a dog can learn how to do that, Rise can sure as heck have figured out a thing or two from watching the IT do all its fighting.

Koromaru grew up on the streets in a bad area.

arue

I feel that it's kinda unfair for Rise's persona to change form, but I looove Himiko's new design, it really matches Rise's hair. I wonder what's the floating thing near Rise when she strikes her victory pose. They look like maces but I'm not sure.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
They could potentially balance him out if they took like a Shadow Labrys approach and had his Persona out most of the time. Make him have like really low HP, lots of Persona cards, and make him reliant on Persona for almost everything but auto combo.

I think they sure just pair him with Ken as one character.

FluxWaveZ

Is there any stated reason why the P4 characters don't have their upgraded Personas in Arena?

Wada:
"Persona 4" differed from "Persona 3" in that the evolution of your Personas depended on your Social Links, so that aspect of the gameplay experience would have been different for every player. At the very least, we knew that every "Persona 4" player would have seen all of the Personas' initial forms during their playthrough, and that's why we decided to use those forms in "Persona 4 Arena".

FluxWaveZ

The real reason was that the original forms were more iconic, but I believe the justification in the story was that lack of using them caused them to regress.

I don't think that was ever said in the story.

The only problem is that Teddie's link is mandatory, though.

Yeah, that justification doesn't make sense for his, so I can only assume it would have felt incongruent to have Teddie be the only character fighting with the evolved version of their Persona.

CorvoSol

Koromaru grew up on the streets in a bad area.

He learned how to make and fight with shivs when he was in canine juvie.

tbh I just wanted to use the term "dog-tier"

I appreciate the dedication to the pun, sir.

P4A

Finished Naoto, Yosuke and Chie modes. While the whole Yosuke x Labrys ship that's come out of this is sort of okay, Chie's newfound crush on
"Master" Akihiko
is the best ending to the game so far. Well, aside from that whole touching Aigis and Labrys ending, but whatever who needs feelings when I can have my goofy laffs.
Still have Kanji, Teddie, Akihiko, Yu and Elizabeth to do. I'm saving Yu and E. for last, but I'm most looking forward to Kanji's ending, actually. Teddie's chapter was unconventional, but I don't expect it to end any differently from the rest of the IT, nor do I expect Akihiko's ending to feel much different from Mitsuru or Aigis' endings.

Kanji's chapter ended at a completely different point from every other character, and Kanji hadn't really forged the same kind of relationship with Labrys that the rest of the cast did, so I look forward to seeing how the rest of his bit plays out.

FluxWaveZ

So Yu didn't max any of the investigation teams social links = canon?

I don't think they care for that kind of minutia in regards to canon. Those Personas are more recognizable, hence they're there. It's probably close to the same reason the game's called "Persona 4" Arena, when it was released at a time when media exposure for the P4 brand was at an all-time high.

CorvoSol

The real answer is that every time someone says "I won't hold back!" they're lying, because they be holding back 2 full Persona levels.
Or they just decided to go with the most iconic Personas, namely the starters.

I don't think they care for that kind of minutia in regards to canon. Those Personas are more recognizable, hence they're there. It's probably close to the same reason the game's called "Persona 4" Arena, when it was released at a time when media exposure for the P4 brand was at an all-time high.
That's probably the main reason why. Maybe Golden being in development at the same time had something to do with it to, as it has those tier 3 Personas that they didn't want to spoil like that maybe. I don't know.

The real answer is that every time someone says "I won't hold back!" they're lying, because they be holding back 2 full Persona levels.
Or they just decided to go with the most iconic Personas, namely the starters.

Or they're just scrubs who can't keep an evolved Persona

Kappa

Ramma2

I just finished up Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, wondering if there's anything else I can play/worth playing in the Persona universe? I've only got a Vita and PS4 at the moment so I'm guessing it's probably pretty limited.

cjkeats

I just finished up Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, wondering if there's anything else I can play/worth playing in the Persona universe? I've only got a Vita and PS4 at the moment so I'm guessing it's probably pretty limited.
Persona 3 Portable.

Sophia

Vita means you have access to the whole franchise, actually. Persona 3 Portable is closest to what you just played, where as Persona 1 and the two halves of Persona 2 are more oldschool. Take your pick.

Ramma2

Vita means you have access to the whole franchise, actually. Persona 3 Portable is closest to what you just played, where as Persona 1 and the two halves of Persona 2 are more oldschool. Take your pick.

Huh I had no idea. The Vita is such a great handheld. Looks like the other Persona games don't have Chie in them so extra bonus!

CorvoSol

The use of "hentai" has a lot of double meanings there, as Pepsiman noted on his tumblr.

Technically so does pervert. We tend to use it to mean some kind of sexual deviant, but to pervert something only means to distort, deviate or misdirect it, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom