• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If AI controlled party members were effective enough to do exactly what you wanted them to do, what would be the difference between that and direct commands?

Perhaps a better compromise would be, the MC assigning direct commands to all party members on his single turn, so you have to play with premeditated intentions similar to P3. This would preserve the idea that you're a leader with 3 separate teammates.

Perhaps they shouldn't force you to use AI controlled party members in the first place, especially after making a big deal about how you're the team leader.

CorvoSol

The party must be pretty damn incompetent if you have to tell them every single little thing they have to do.

Have you met these people? Mitsuru's a super genius but she doesn't know how to eat a fucking hamburger. Fuuka doesn't learn human emotional voice inflection until after she graduates high school. It takes Fuuka longer to learn how to sound like a human being than it does Aigis, and Fuuka has YEARS of a jump start and actual human biology in her favor!

I mean shit, nobody in the IT is beyond being S-M-R-T SMART but sometimes I wonder just what the fuck the Kirijo group dumped into the Iwatodai Water System.

Lunar15

Finally started JoJo's. I'm a sucker for gloriously over-the-top villians, so I'm loving it so far. I know it's cliche and you know they're going to get theirs after all the shit they put their victims through, but god... it's so satisfying.

Makes me wish P5 would have a more direct and persistent villain. Both 3 and 4 were shrouded in mystery, understandably. But I want someone who uses these powers for evil. While 3 has Strega, they felt like such a subplot. I'd love to see more Persona vs. Persona action in my Persona.

CorvoSol

Finally started JoJo's. I'm a sucker for gloriously over-the-top villians, so I'm loving it so far. I know it's cliche and you know they're going to get theirs after all the shit they put their victims through, but god... it's so satisfying.

Makes me wish P5 would have a more direct and persistent villain. Both 3 and 4 were shrouded in mystery, understandably. But I want someone who uses these powers for evil. While 3 has Strega, they felt like such a subplot. I'd love to see more Persona vs. Persona action in my Persona.

JoJo's is king of over the top douchey villains. DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
JOJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Squire

Banned

It would be awesome to have a villain with more presence, for sure.

CorvoSol

I feel P4's villain was a significant step up from P3's. No small part of that is due to the fact that Shadow Jesus was completely wasted.
All you had to do was make him Ikutsuki.

Persona 1's villain definitely felt extremely irrelevant by the end of the game.

This is one thing Final Fantasy used to do really well. Series gave us villains who were large scene stealers, and Dissidia went so far as to give some presence to villains who once had none. Of late the villains have been pretty shit though.

fertygo

LTTP, but AI Management is ridiculous idea for turn-based system anyway, even if you can actually get it right.. the plus of it just very filmsy feeling.

Squire

Banned
Definitely.

I also wonder if Persona series can ever give us a party member in-battle swap in/swap out function aka Final Fantasy X/Tales of Xillia. Would you guys like the idea?

Yes.

Hell, they could copy/paste FFXs battle system and I'd be downright thrilled.

Definitely.

I also wonder if Persona series can ever give us a party member in-battle swap in/swap out function aka Final Fantasy X/Tales of Xillia. Would you guys like the idea?
I'd love it, I end up leveling up and using all characters anyway. A system like that would work best if the xp was shared with the whole group though

Trigger

That would be great. I always end up ignoring later party members just because I hate having to play catch up.

I feel P4's villain was a significant step up from P3's. No small part of that is due to the fact that Shadow Jesus was completely wasted.
All you had to do was make him Ikutsuki.

Persona 1's villain definitely felt extremely irrelevant by the end of the game.

This is one thing Final Fantasy used to do really well. Series gave us villains who were large scene stealers, and Dissidia went so far as to give some presence to villains who once had none. Of late the villains have been pretty shit though.

P2 has the best villain in the series.

It would be awesome to have a villain with more presence, for sure.

Does Joker and Nyarly(in EP) count?

P3 spoilers
Strega was so disappointing.

That got me thinking,
isn't Strega still alive at the end of P3? Now with the dark hour and Tartarus back, I wouldn't be surprised of they reappeared in P4U, given that it's the last title in the P3 storyline.

Definitely.

I don't think that would work in Persona as it is now. In FFX (and to a lesser extent Tales), each character is fundamentally different and has their own set of monsters they specialize in defeating. In P3/P4, the Mc having a wild card that can change his skills and stats on the fly acts like changing a party member.

Trigger

That got me thinking,
isn't Strega still alive at the end of P3? Now with the dark hour and Tartarus back, I wouldn't be surprised of they reappeared in P4U, given that it's the last title in the P3 storyline.

I thought they were all dead. Chidori living seems to not be canon, Jin went all kamikaze at the top of the tower to hold off the shadows. I suppose Takaya could be alive, but I always assumed he was killed by shadows too. Or just died from his wounds.

I thought they were all dead. Chidori living seems to not be canon, Jin went all kamikaze at the top of the tower to hold off the shadows. I suppose Takaya could be alive, but I always assumed he was killed by shadows too. Or just died from his wounds.

You're right, Takaya is the only one who's fate is unknown. It'll be interesting to see if they bring him back.

Meia

Why would you even do that?!?

Some like me liked the idea of having the party members do their own thing, with you only micro-managing their thought process at any given time.

They themselves didn't bother carrying over the great AI rules they had setup in P3, and then put key moments in boss fights where you really *really* want to guard, and I don't think your party members do that. I genuinely don't even know why they bothered having AI anything in P4. Like, very very early they show you that you have to tell your party members to block at times, and even tell you can control everything they do at the same time.

MSMrRound

Let's celebrate all of the mothers in the Persona universe like...

hqdefault.jpg

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Chie is probably a mom to her dog.

(Edit: Japanese companies always embellish those numbers for marketing reasons, so I'd take that 100-hour clear time with a few tablespoons of salt. Nintendo infamously said that Ocarina of Time would take something like 50 hours and I'm pretty sure the general consensus is it doesn't even take that much time to 100 percent the game.)

PK Gaming

If you're enjoying JoJo now, I can't wait until you get to part 2. The leap in quality is enormous.

I just finished Part 5 for the manga series.

Got to say my fav is possibly part 2 followed by 3. Should probably start Stone Ocean soon.

Stone Ocean is probably my second-or-third favourite part. Screw any haters; it was wonderful.

If you're enjoying JoJo now, I can't wait until you get to part 2. The leap in quality is enormous.

Likewise, I can't wait until you get to Part 4. Hurry up and finish airing, Stardust Crusaders!

...No wait, actually keep airing. You're probably the best anime on TV right now.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, Jeff and Vinny at GiantBomb took ALMOST 100 hours to finish Persona 4. I think it depends on your personal pace.

Meia

If that's the case, how long did they say P3/P4 were, 200 hours, lol?

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a playthrough of 3 or 4 that was under 90 hours. Then again, max social link playthroughs are longer simply because you see a whole hell of a lot more. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom