• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I spent the day thinking about how Soejima conceived Yosuke as a pretty boy. I never really got that sense at all!

Yosuke: I'm good looking and pretty likable right?
Yu: That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think?
Chie: I mean, ya, you're good looking enough to at least get them to hang out with you, but I don't know if it's enough for people to ignore all your flaws.
Yukiko: Is that even possible Chie? To be so good looking that someone could actually overlook Yosuke... being Yosuke?
Yosuke: (pained expression)
Yukiko: Oh, no offense!

I spent the day thinking about how Soejima conceived Yosuke as a pretty boy. I never really got that sense at all!

Yosuke: I'm good looking and pretty likable right?
Yu: That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think?
Chie: I mean, ya, you're good looking enough to at least get them to hang out with you, but I don't know if it's enough for people to ignore all your flaws.
Yukiko: Is that even possible Chie? To be so good looking that someone could actually overlook Yosuke... being Yosuke?
Yosuke: (pained expression)
Yukiko: Oh, no offense!

I think a bunch of female NPCs talk just about that during the whole game. That he is a pretty boy until he opens his mouth.
Poor Yosuke.

I liked the comments in the design notes of Yosuke that Soejima was told to make Yosuke handsome "unlike Junpei" and how much that confused Soejima.

Also Yosuke was designed to be so close to Junpei in characterization that many in the design team just called him "Junpei" even after he had a given name.

Guess Who

Banned
I liked the comments in the design notes of Yosuke that Soejima was told to make Yosuke handsome "unlike Junpei" and how much that confused Soejima.

Also Yosuke was designed to be so close to Junpei in characterization that many in the design team just called him "Junpei" even after he had a given name.

Haha! What's the source on this?

PK Gaming

Haha! What's the source on this?

It's from the official Persona 4 design works, here's the quote:
Soejima said:
The main focus of Yosuke’s design was to make him a good-looking guy. As far as his role in the game is concerned, Yosuke acts as the mouth that voices the thoughts and opinions that the player no doubt has while playing the game. These things cannot be voiced by the main character of course, since he does not speak in the game. In other words, Yosuke is like the "Persona 4" version of Junpei from "Persona 3". As a result, the development staff often referred to Yosuke as "Junpei" during development, despite the fact that we already had the name "Yosuke" for him. (laughs)

Director Hashino insisted that I make Yosuke a "pretty boy" in order to make him distinct from Junpei, though that is not to say that Junpei was ugly or anything….(laughs) In order to grant Hashino's wishes, I paid a lot of attention to the shape of Yosuke's nose and the entire T-zone of his face in general while designing him. This is because a carefully crafted T-zone is a must when designing a handsome male character.

Lol Soejima.
One is going to become bald, the other no! That's enough to know who is the pretty boy of the two.
It's funny knowing Soejima thinks Junpei is good looking. He is pretty normal looking, I know that when you designing a normal guy or girl in anime style they often come out more pretty than they have to, but I think Junpei came out pretty normal.

If Yosuke was supposed to be "handsome" he shouldn't have been given Tidus hair.

Isn't that type of hair equal pretty in japan? It's not that bad looking for the rest of the world either.

kewlmyc

So Junpei is canonically ugly? Wow...

kewlmyc

I think they mean in regard to solving the mystery before Naoto showed up.

Also people give Yosuke a hard time. He's not a homophobe, just an idiot. Hell, he's probably gayer that Kanji. He's so in the closet, he has a naked boy living in it.

Also people give Yosuke a hard time. He's not a homophobe, just an idiot. Hell, he's probably gayer that Kanji. He's so in the closet, he has a naked boy living in it.

Is that naked boy Teddie

I bet it's Teddie.

PK Gaming

This to the nth degree

Hey guys Happy Mother's d-
O_O
I don't know whether to be amused by it for sheer silliness or to be scraed by how Sailor Demi-Fiend is looking at me.
de8xMk6.png
That is one hell of a scary Christmas Cake

And speaking of Demi-Fiend and Nocturne
6c0.png

He teaches you that you can't just coast through this game quite as easily as other RPGs, making you need to take use of buffs and debuffs seriously. SMT in my opinon is the only RPG series to make buffing and debuffing useful.
Though there are a few bosses that are quite dumb in this game like this one....
tumblr_lyqslcl40N1r9zabzo1_r1_400.gif

Squire

Banned
Miriam Webster said:
Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə
Function: noun
Date: 1969
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
— ho·mo·pho·bic -ˈfō-bik adjective

For a good portion of that story, Yosuke is a text book homophobe. I like the character and he grows out of it, but I think it disrespects the experience of others to keep going "he's just an idiot". You're making it a semantic argument. It's not.

He doesn't stay that way, but again, for a portion of that story, Yosuke is quite definitively homophobic. He hits 2/3 in that Webster quote.

Just wrecked the matador. Got a persona immune to force and had 90mp + media... Also discovered the item menu in combat. That was rather helpful.

PK Gaming

For a good portion of that story, Yosuke is a text book homophobe. I like the character and he grows out of it, but I think it disrespects the experience of others to keep going "he's just an idiot". You're making it a semantic argument. It's not.

He doesn't stay that way, but again, for a portion of that story, Yosuke is quite definitively homophobic. He hits 2/3 in that Webster quote.
Yeah, you're completely right. I hate to admit it, but for the longest time I was under the impression that the term strictly applied to overt bigotry.
Just wrecked the matador. Got a persona immune to force and had 90mp + media... Also discovered the item menu in combat. That was rather helpful.

They're coming. Run.

Squire

Banned
PersonaGAF is about to have the "Is Yosuke a homophobe or not" argument

Get to the bunkers

There shouldn't be an argument as there is nothing to question. We all like Persona, so I can only hope we can be receptive to criticism of it from within.

But don't worry, I stated my peace. If someone's gonna argue Miriam Webster has it wrong and/or that Yosuke doesn't exemplify homophobia for at least the opening fourth of P4s story, than there's nothing else I can say.

kewlmyc

But like most discrimination, I think it really only matters if it's coming from a place of hate, not a place of ignorance. At least that's how I categorize it. Hence why I don't really find him homophobic even though he technically fits the definition of it. Yosuke's homophobic tendencies are clearly coming from ignorance rather than hate. He isn't "I hate gays", more like "I don't understand them so I'll say rude jokes about them." Shit like that runs rampant in teens or at least the ones I grew up with, so that's why I just call Yosuke an idiot or ignorant, rather than homophobe.

There shouldn't be an argument as there is nothing to question. We all like Persona, so I can only hope we can be receptive to criticism of it from within.

But don't worry, I stated my peace. If someone's gonna argue Miriam Webster has it wrong and/or that Yosuke doesn't exemplify homophobia for at least the opening fourth of P4s story, than there's nothing else I can say.

Well shit. Nipped that in the bud. :(

PK Gaming

But like most discrimination, I think it really only matters if it's coming from a place of hate, not a place of ignorance. At least that's how I categorize it. Hence why I don't really find him homophobic even though he technically fits the definition of it. Yosuke's homophobic tendencies are clearly coming from ignorance rather than hate. He isn't "I hate gays", more like "I don't understand them so I'll say rude jokes about them." Shit like that runs rampant in teens or at least the ones I grew up with, so that's why I just call Yosuke an idiot or ignorant, rather than homophobe.

Well shit. :(

I hate to do this but... you could very well apply that very same reasoning to racism. Wouldn't you call someone who has ignorant/idiotic views towards a specific race, racist? It's kind of a the same thing.

kewlmyc

I hate to do this but... you could very well apply that very same reasoning to racism. Wouldn't you call someone who has ignorant/idiotic views towards a specific race, racist? It's kind of a the same thing.

No, I wouldn't. I've actually dealt with that kind of stuff every day when I was attending a private college where 1% of the people there represented my race. Instead of calling them racists, I educated them and they learned and stopped acting like idiots. Sounds familiar since that's how Yosuke pretty much changes in P4. But now I'm getting into personal things, so I'll stop.

Squire

Banned

Well shit. Nipped that in the bud. :(

Yeah, I mean, no offense dude, but that's exactly what you're doing. We all know Yosuke doesn't hate Kanji, but it's not about hate. That's not what defines homophobia.

I think the reason we always end up here when this topic comes up is because that's how people choose to define it. It's not about hate and we can't just arbitrarily change what words mean. I get that people don't like the negative connotation of "homophobe/ homophobia", but it is 100% accurate here.

Sophia

I wish Yosuke's romantic social link hadn't been removed. Not because I want a homosexual representation, but because it would have been a legitimately good pairing. Like, I'd consider that the canonical pairing if it was still in the game.

I think it's worth noting that a character being bigoted in some way doesn't necessarily make them a bad character--just not particularly likeable, which not every character needs to be. That said, I do think that's what they were trying with Yosuke (likeable for the most part), and I think they dropped the ball on that account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom