• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I am an immortal demonic fairy cyborg, we've been over this.

Oh god I'm so terrible at everything people have even forgot that.

I'm going to crawl into a hole and die.

Normally I would not advise death by nihilism and depression. However if your claim of being an "immortal demonic fairy cyborg" is true, then I feel I am in no position to advise you further. Especially as you cannot die.

I'm quite enjoying the chair jokes in regards to Persona 5, on another note. >_>;

PK Gaming

Persona 2

So I met Ixquic last night. Part of me wants to be all "I thought this game was serious mature bidness" but frankly I don't give a shit because Toilet Space boss battle against Toilet demon and cosplay girl was hilarious stuff. I wish Ixquic's Persona had been more interesting than just some random enemy I'd come up against in a dungeon.

IxquicMasked.png

"Reincarnated from the stream of "purr-pit-you-it-e"! I, Ixquic, the Mage-Warrior, am gonna whoop your ass in the name of all that is just!!"

Nocturne is pretty awesome, though its age is pretty apparent. I love how the right stick controls the "camera" but not the actual rotational one that's necessary for movement.

Even though I'm probably doing it wrong, demon negotiation is pretty awesome if only because it gives these guys some personality. Makes personas/shadows seem incredibly boring by comparison.

Nocturne is pretty awesome, though its age is pretty apparent. I love how the right stick controls the "camera" but not the actual rotational one that's necessary for movement.

Even though I'm probably doing it wrong, demon negotiation is pretty awesome if only because it gives these guys some personality. Makes personas/shadows seem incredibly boring by comparison.

The game is in third person but the dungeons are basically designed for first person(if that makes any sense). Unlock the first person mode and you'll see what I'm talking about.

coopolon

In P4G, how does the "getting closer" mechanic work? If I get closer to someone at night when I would have advanced the s-link the next day without having gotten closer, is that time wasted?

Persona 2

So I met Ixquic last night. Part of me wants to be all "I thought this game was serious mature bidness" but frankly I don't give a shit because Toilet Space boss battle against Toilet demon and cosplay girl was hilarious stuff. I wish Ixquic's Persona had been more interesting than just some random enemy I'd come up against in a dungeon.

P2IS is goofy as hell, I think when people say P2 is the most "srs bsns matur", they are talking about P2EP, but that has some humor as well.

For Persona 5, what's one feature you'd like to keep and one you'd like to get rid of from past Persona games?

For me, as I've only played P3/P4

Keep: Calender system. I think that makes the Persona games unique, helps encourage multiple playthroughs, and introduces strategy into what you do in the real world.

Remove: Social links, at least how they are in P3/P4. I'd like for some kind of reboot that'd make your social interactions have a bigger impact on the story.

PK Gaming

For Persona 5, what's one feature you'd like to keep and one you'd like to get rid of from past Persona games?

Keep: Calender system. I think that makes the Persona games unique, helps encourage multiple playthroughs, and introduces strategy into what you do in the real world.

Remove: Social links, at least how they are in P3/P4. I'd like for some kind of reboot that'd make your social interactions have a bigger impact on the story.

Keep: Calendar system
Remove(rework, technically): P4's One More! System. P3's is way better.

Meia

In P4G, how does the "getting closer" mechanic work? If I get closer to someone at night when I would have advanced the s-link the next day without having gotten closer, is that time wasted?

Usually, if you see the words "getting closer/will become closer soon", it means that the next time you go out with someone and you have a matching persona in your stock with their arcana, your link will definitely go up.

There's two forms of this type of thing: "Will deepen" and "may become closer soon". The first means you don't *need* a matching persona, the latter does. Basically, just saying yes to going out with someone gives you a chunk of points on their social link. Any points you gain during that meeting by answering questions a certain way applies to the next ranking, which is why it's said you should ALWAYS have a matching persona on you, as it greatly speeds up the process.

Keep: Multiple, themed dungeons based on the party members you acquire.

Remove:
waifus.

Soriku

The game is in third person but the dungeons are basically designed for first person(if that makes any sense). Unlock the first person mode and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I tried the first person mode for a bit and I found it awkward going through doors. Also the way some rooms wind around don't really seem intended for first person play either.

Running away from Dante
in the third Kalpa would also be harder.

Keep: P4G streamlined fusion
Remove: Quests (reworked)

Trigger

Remove: Remove the direct control of party members (and maybe just improve the AI).

Keep: Specialized dungeons. The more stylistic, the better.
Remove/rework: Physical weapons. Outside of the early game, I hardly used the actual equipped weapon. I would like to see them use a weapon that they could ordinarily find in the real world, like fans, bats, shovels, etc. The goofier the better. The weapons would need to match your relevant persona's physical strength. I dunno, some sort of tweak is needed there, IMO.

Remove: Remove the direct control of party members (and maybe just improve the AI).
Technically you could do that in P4, right? I never used it, but there was an auto-battle setting I think.

Trigger

I always thought the idea of the party members making their own decisions was cool. Makes them feel more like people, I guess?

Technically you could do that in P4, right? I never used it, but there was an auto-battle setting I think.

There is, but the AI's pretty hit or miss.

I always thought the idea of the party members making their own decisions was cool. Makes them feel more like people, I guess?

I agree. The CPU party members was a cool concept because, like you said, it made them feel more real. However, its not a concept that I would want to see return.

Oh I agree that it makes them feel more like people. I got the same feeling when I played P3 FES. But I don't think removing it is ideal. Leaving it as an option (while improving the AI) is probably for the best.

Squire

Banned
Man, taking out party control. I might be okay with that if they had like Carmack-level programmers and I basically always knew I could count on the team. But then, I also think not having party control in a turn based RPG stifles the element of strategy in a BIG way.

Loke, half the reason P3 is hard is because you can't tell the team what do. That's an awful design choice, I think.

I am an immortal demonic fairy cyborg, we've been over this.

Oh god I'm so terrible at everything people have even forgot that.

I'm going to crawl into a hole and die.

Wait I'm also a ghost so I can't die.

That's all? Pff, I'm a Stand-using violin-toting demon Pokémon.

From Canada.

Step up, kouhai.

Anywho, I hope that the battle system stays pretty much the same for P5. P4's was really flashy, fun and rewarding without being frustrating or asinine. I would definitely like the three physical attack types to come back though, because it literally adds another layer of depth to the combat.

Squire

Banned
I still really think the only issue with the combat as of P4G is the balance as opposed to the fighting itself. They could take the fighting as it is, straighten out the numbers and have something stellar on their hands. (Assuming you like the battles, which some people think are quite dull.)

LX_Theo

Banned
I still really think the only issue with the combat as of P4G is the balance as opposed to the fighting itself. They could take the fighting as it is, straighten out the numbers and have something stellar on their hands. (Assuming you like the battles, which some people think are quite dull.)

I agree. While I haven't played vanilla, a lot of the things that were added or changed and led to it being easier really felt like they were simply added in rather than part of then system from the ground up. Stuff like that ruins balancing.

Sophia

I don't really want the combat system to change too much. I do kind of want to see an improvement over One More! system however. Current system is too abusable compared to the standard Press Turn.

Honestly, most of the changes I want are to the presentation.

Ice Break

Ice Break

Ice Break

Bufudyne

Ice Break

Ice Break

Ice Break

IxquicMasked.png

"Reincarnated from the stream of "purr-pit-you-it-e"! I, Ixquic, the Mage-Warrior, am gonna whoop your ass in the name of all that is just!!"

ifdkn5D.jpg

I actually LOST this bossfight I was laughing so hard. Oh that game could be something else.

Squire

Banned
I don't really want the combat system to change too much. I do kind of want to see an improvement over One More! system however. Current system is too abusable compared to the standard Press Turn.

Same here.

one more is pretty boring to me. i'd like for the battle system to have more of a purpose beyond initiating all-out attacks. i don't recall using it on bosses very often. it does give bosses an advantage though.

It isn't that I don't agree with your point, but normally when people tell me a game is "serious/mature/dark" I don't think they allow for the kind of view you're expressing.
i guess they give that impression when they big up or demand a lot of death or something. i'm used to people who want zelda to be god of war. i saw it all when david cox's direction for lords of shadow was genuinely just making it "dark and gritty and epic".

Caladrius

That's all? Pff, I'm a Stand-using violin-toting demon Pokémon.

From Canada.

Step up, kouhai.

But do you glitter?

EDIT: Wait no I have my honorifics confused, mah bad.

I know it's kind of a no-no as far as differentiating itself from the Megaten series, but I'd love for them to just make a press turn variant that's modified to emphasize teamwork somehow.

I need to think about this further.

And as long as we still have 2D portraits in some part of the game I'm A-OK with whatever, as long as the character models don't look like ass.

PK Gaming

Ice Break

Ice Break

Ice Break

Bufudyne

Ice Break

Ice Break

Ice Break

ifdkn5D.jpg

I actually LOST this bossfight I was laughing so hard. Oh that game could be something else.

Despite whatever misgivings I may have for the battle system, Persona 2 was friggin awesome to experience as a whole. Moments like that stand out as one of my all-time favorite Persona scenes.

Keep: Calender System

Remove: Shitty random dungeons, the main character being the only one that can switch personas, shadows(they need entirely different designs), the current one more system

Atlantis

I have no idea what you're talking about.

marin_karin_by_turtwig123-d31ud1a.jpg

I think this picture is proof that people who struggle so hard with P3's AI didn't really take the time to actually learn the game or its' mechanics.

Mitsuru doesn't learn Mediarama.

Glad to see that the series' battle system needing a huge overhaul is a common opinion in here.

I think this picture is proof that people who struggle so hard with P3's AI didn't really take the time to actually learn the game or its' mechanics.

Mitsuru doesn't learn Mediarama.

Glad to see that the series' battle system needing a huge overhaul is a common opinion in here.

Tell me about it. The game beats you over the head with the tactics system early on so anyone who is getting clocked by "Marin Karin" needs to simply get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom