• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaobaka

Neo Member
The movie is just gorgeous overall, but especially so during the Dark Hour.

Also really liked how they handled Fuuka and her relationship with Natsuki, which makes how it was handled in the game look like a joke in comparison.

Makoto on a bike might have been the cheesiest thing ever tho :D
To be honest I found the look of the tarturs entrance to be kinda disappointing, it seems a tad bit bland...

Caladrius

YuxYouke and ChiexYukiko OTPs. >.>

I agree with the second one.

How many does this make?
Ne8IU8a.png

Chief Detective of the Inaba Police, Ryotaro Dojima is on the course! He might have been a real golf wiz when he was younger, but with his demanding job and having to raise Nanako, he doesn't get much playing time anymore. So he might be a little rusty, but he will make time to play today. What more can a guy ask for than have fun with his daughter and nephew?

Everyone's most favoritest character comes next.

Solid as always. The legs look a smidge wide for his torso though.

How many does this make?

Chief Detective of the Inaba Police, Ryotaro Dojima is on the course! He might have been a real golf wiz when he was younger, but with his demanding job and having to raise Nanako, he doesn't get much playing time anymore. So he might be a little rusty, but he will make time to play today. What more can a guy ask for than have fun with his daughter and nephew?

Awesome as always chet. I thought he was choking the chicken there for a second. Then i scrolled down further and saw the full picture XD

Everyone's favorite character? I know you mean
Adachi. YOU BETTER MEAN HIM :(

Soma

Every time I see Yu and Yosuke paired up together, Yu looks so annoyed and I imagine him thinking "ugh the only reason I'm putting up with you is because standing next to you makes me look cooler than I already am"

Swedesu

To be honest I found the look of the tarturs entrance to be kinda disappointing, it seems a tad bit bland...

Now that you mention it, the moving weird background is static and it is kind of empty. But it was like that in the game as well so there's not that much they can do.

Btw, I meant how everything looked during the dark hour overall and the general feel of it.

PK Gaming

Yeah. It's pretty much how I saw him when I played P3, and I love how it's so distinct from how Yu's personality has been formed. Now that I think about it, I remember actually being disappointed when I started P4 immediately after finishing P3FES because of how Yu carried himself and looked so differently to Makoto when the latter was one of my favorite characters ever.

I had the exact opposite experience. Going into P3P, I wasn't fond of the idea as playing as Makoto after experiencing Yu, so I immediately jumped at the chance of playing as FeMC instead. Nearly a year later, i'm going through P3FES for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. I appreciate how Makoto's demeanor is completely different from Yu's. He's a silent protagonist, but Makoto's disposition clearly paints his dialogue options (most of Makoto's responses are apathetic, sarcastic or combative.) It really makes the experience fresh and distinct from P4.

It's interesting how inconsistent Personas have been represented across Persona media. In P4 The Animation, they're essentially physical extensions of the user, Jojo's style. It's a bit like this in the P4A manga, except the characters fight alongside their Personas as they use them (which is how I always thought it would be like). In P3M, Personas are used more as physical projections, where the user is not physically damaged when their Persona is, but mentally exhausted by their use.

No kidding. I liked the various interpretations, but my favorite of the bunch was the P3M iteration. It's more in line with how it's presented in the games.

How many does this make?
Ne8IU8a.png

Nice. Dojima would be the type of character i'd be appreciate, but never use.

LX_Theo

Banned
So I recently got a chance to watch the first Persona 3 movie. To say the least, I really liked it. Some thoughts on it...

Thinks I liked
Makoto's personality. Makes a lot of sense to fit with the story and how he's portrayed in the games. Hopefully they take an approach to the personality for Yu like this in P4GA. Not the same personality, but one that feels like a real personality.

Plot tweaks. Things like Fuuka making an earlier appearance and Makoto staying behind. Everything worked to enhance it without deviating much from the source material.

The art was very nice. I hope P4GA is on this level. The music was also used quite effectively and appropriately.

I was afraid Makoto might become a Mary Sue, but thankfully most of the situations had him simply rallying people to fix the situation rather than him being

The minimization of social links. They're great and all for the games, but their ability to fit in a story like this without ruining the pacing and being a big distraction... It would take a much smaller margin of error than most any show would have.

Things I didn't like
I still don't think they have any idea how to incorporate the Velvet Room into these effectively.

Tartarus reveal looked like PS1 CGI at times.

While I think they did not turn Makoto into an OP Mary Sue, my fear of him becoming one was more based on the lead up to a lot of the encounters. They sort of treated him as one until they put the plan to settle things in a battle into action.

Ciaobaka

Neo Member
Now that you mention it, the moving weird background is static and it is kind of empty. But it was like that in the game as well so there's not that much they can do.

Btw, I meant how everything looked during the dark hour overall and the general feel of it.
I understand it was like that in the game but they could have done something to it. Like look at the ultimax stage, something a little like that would have been nice!

CorvoSol

Meanwhile, here is Tatsuya's personality:

"Tatsuya it is I, Lisa, your extremely attractive, quasi-foreign girlfriend! LET'S HAVE SEX NOW."

Tatsuya checks his lighter.

"NOOO TATSUYA, REALLY BAD THING HAPPEN TO EIKICHI'S FRIENDS!"

"Tatsuya rumors are becoming true!"

"Tatsuya this is Maya's bedroom! Let's hijinks!"

"TATSUYA
ADOLF HITLER IS AN IMMORTAL DEMON SPACE WIZARD AND HIS NAZI MECHA ARE CONQUERING THE CITY AS IT IS LIFTED INTO OUTER SPACE!"

"Tatsuya now is emotional moment of the reunions and can't believe you're not deads!"

PK Gaming

Things I didn't like
I still don't think they have any idea how to incorporate the Velvet Room into these effectively.

Blame their stringent obsession with not replacing Igor's actor. For god sakes, Makoto isn't even allowed to converse with Igor! It really was the low point of the movie, and at this point, I wish they'd kill him off for good. Which sucks, because he's the only thing tying the series together at this point.

Cool Eternal Punishment poster I found

Super slick

"Tatsuya it is I, Lisa, your extremely attractive, quasi-foreign girlfriend! LET'S HAVE SEX NOW."

"TATSUYA
ADOLF HITLER IS AN IMMORTAL DEMON SPACE WIZARD AND HIS NAZI MECHA ARE CONQUERING THE CITY AS IT IS LIFTED INTO OUTER SPACE!"

"Tatsuya now is emotional moment of the reunions and can't believe you're not deads!"

Just wait until Eternal Punishment. Tatsuya goes from being whatever to being the best character in the game. He downright overshadows Maya, despite not being the main protagonist.

Daimaou

"TATSUYA

Tatsuya imitates a motorcycle.

Fixed.

LX_Theo

Banned
Blame their stringent obsession with not replacing Igor's actor. Makoto isn't even allowed to converse with Igor! It really does suck, and at this point, I really wish they'd kill him off for good. Which sucks, because he's the only thing tying the series together at this point.

I don't see what is so hard with having Elizabeth be the one who carries the conversation instead, though. Just have Igor come in and show he's the boss of the room, have Makoto ask questions, and have Elizabeth respond (with some Igor comments when appropriate).

kewlmyc

I wasn't too fond of the animation of the P3M at first. It was okay, but not what I would expect from a feature anime movie. Then I watched it on my 60in TV. The movie is actually pretty damn good looking at 1080p. The colors are deep and anything during the Dark Hour is exceptional.

I noticed that they don't seem to take advantage of the 5.1ch audio at all though.

I agree with the Velvet Room comments though. Hope they actually have him interact with Elizabeth in the future movies.

I also really like how they handled Makoto's personality in the movie too, and how he is a loner. It also made me think how people say Yu and Makoto are drastically different, but I think Yu was kind of similar to Makoto before he came to Inaba since
towards the end of the anime Yu says that he's been alone before and how he won't go back to that. It was definitely one of my favorite moments in the anime.

kewlmyc

I also like how they justified him not being afraid the first night walking to the dorm room. He's been experiencing the dark hour most of his life. Seems obvious but I'm glad they actually state it. It would also explain how his personality came to be like that: losing his parents, being passed around by his relatives as if they don't want him around, and experiencing something nightmarish every night that no one else seems to know about.

Guess Who

Banned
I also really like how they handled Makoto's personality in the movie too, and how he is a loner. It also made me think how people say Yu and Makoto are drastically different, but I think Yu was kind of similar to Makoto before he came to Inaba since
towards the end of the anime Yu says that he's been alone before and how he won't go back to that. It was definitely one of my favorite moments in the anime.

Souji in the manga is the same way, as I understand it.

Persona protags gotta get versed in the Power of Friendship.

PK Gaming

I don't see what is so hard with having Elizabeth be the one who carries the conversation instead, though. Just have Igor come in and show he's the boss of the room, have Makoto ask questions, and have Elizabeth respond (with some Igor comments when appropriate).

Elizabeth: Do you have any questions?
Makoto: Yes, can you tell me what happens during a fusion accident.
Elizabeth: Very well. You see, during a fusion-
Igor: Ah.. it seems we have a guest with an intriguing destiny...
Elizabeth: *Ahem* as I was saying-
Igor: (chuckle)
Makoto: Is there something wrong with him.
Igor: My name is Igor... I am delighted to make your acquaintance.
Elizabeth: Oh, don't mind him...
Igor: This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter...
Makoto & Elizabeth: ...

FluxWaveZ

I saw it as a distinctly different dynamic. While Yu was actively lonely because he supposedly has had to change schools and social life several times in the past, he still seems to make friends rather easily and naturally. Meanwhile, Makoto absolutely doesn't seem to care about that at all initially (in contrast to Yu, who does), but it seems that Makoto gradually comes to appreciate companionship.

Basically, one is depicted initially as yearning for companionship, while the other is totally apathetic towards the prospect.

I saw it as a distinctly different dynamic. While Yu was actively lonely because he supposedly has had to change schools and social life several times in the past, he still seems to make friends rather easily and naturally. Meanwhile, Makoto absolutely doesn't seem to care about that at all initially (in contrast to Yu, who does), but it seems that Makoto gradually comes to appreciate companionship.

I didn't know he had to change schools often, I thought Inaba was his first transfer. Where did it mention this? Edit: Or is it just implied?

Yeah I remember that now. The P4 manga was a pretty good adaptation too.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't know he had to change schools often, I thought Inaba was his first transfer. Where did it mention this? Edit: Or is it just implied?

I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned, but that seems to be what the manga initially implies, since it was brought up. If this was his first school transfer, at least, it'd be hard to think of much basis for his loneliness, seeing how all of his old classmates were pretty bummed about him leaving.

Edit: Never mind then, it's totally explicitly mentioned. Which makes sense, considering
Yu's Shadow in Persona 4 The Animation and all.

In the very first chapter

EDIT: The introduction for Kanji is fantastic

I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned, but that seems to be what the manga initially implies, since it was brought up. If this was his first school transfer, at least, it'd be hard to think of much basis for his loneliness, seeing how all of his old classmates were pretty bummed about him leaving.

Edit: Never mind then, it's totally explicitly mentioned. Which makes sense, considering
Yu's Shadow in Persona 4 The Animation and all.
Oh wow, can't believe I forgot that, thanks guys. I also thought the 'being alone" thing also applied to Yu's parents since it didn't seem like he had a good relationship with them.

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow, can't believe I forgot that, thanks guys. I also thought the 'being alone" thing also applied to Yu's parents since it didn't seem like he had a good relationship with them.

Eh, I think that's reaching quite a bit. There are practically no indications of how his parents are, but hearing Dojima talk about his sister, Yu's mom sounds pretty cool.

PK Gaming

It's never implied in the games, for what it's worth.

God, I really want a full version of the Manga.

You and me both

The manga had some really cool ideas! It's probably the best P4 adaptation imo.

Was it ever completed? I heard it stopped shortly into the Kanji arc, then it resumed around the time Golden was released.

Eh, I think that's reaching quite a bit. There are practically no indications of how his parents are, but hearing Dojima talk about his sister, Yu's mom sounds pretty cool.

The manga shows her grabbing kid!Yu's arm and looking pretty stern.

Lunar15

You and me both

The manga had some really cool ideas! It's probably the best P4 adaptation imo.

Was it ever completed? I heard it stopped shortly into the Kanji arc, then it resumed around the time Golden was released.

All I've been able to find is just up to the end of the Kanji Arc, and then nothing after that. Not even anything translated. I have no idea if they finished it.

Such a shame. I'd absolutely buy it if someone picked it up over here.

it ever completed? I heard it stopped shortly into the Kanji arc, then it resumed around the time Golden was released.

The translated version of the manga stopped at the Kanji arc.
From what I have seen in tumblr, the manga has already covered Rise, the beauty pageant and the hot springs stuff. I have never seen the Naoto arc, though.

Just finished watching P3M. Everything aside from The Velvet Room implementation was done really well, imo. I liked that they really brought out the personalities of Yukari and Junpei, especially with Yukari calling out Makoto before they went to save Fuuka. I loved his characterization as well.

also

Yukari x Makoto OTP

Yeah it probably is, but I was basing it off the whole family dynamic With the Dojmas, and this quote from the Megaten wiki "In the manga adaptation, Souji Seta is a distant loner who demonstrates a high level of maturity, his overly formal speaking tone being one of the most telling signs. Seta has a pessimistic outlook on life due to his parents and having to move frequently as a result of said parents' demanding careers, but he eventually warms up as he explores friendship."
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Narukami

FluxWaveZ

Yeah it probably is, but I was basing it off the whole family dynamic With the Dojmas, and this quote from the Megaten wiki "In the manga adaptation, Souji Seta is a distant loner who demonstrates a high level of maturity, his overly formal speaking tone being one of the most telling signs. Seta has a pessimistic outlook on life due to his parents and having to move frequently as a result of said parents' demanding careers, but he eventually warms up as he explores friendship."
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Narukami

When is he shown to have a pessimistic outlook on life?

PK Gaming

It's been a while since I read the manga, but I don't recall him ever being pessimistic. Souji Seta was incredibly polite but detached teenager with a distinctively formal way of speaking. I didn't get far in the manga, but he slowly opens up and becomes more receptive to having friends.

As an aside, the contrast between Yu Narukami (anime) and Souji Seta is pretty interesting. They both approach loneliness and isolation in a different manner.

FluxWaveZ

It's been a while since I read the manga, but I don't recall him ever being pessimistic. Souji Seta was incredibly polite but detached teenager with a distinctively formal way of speaking. I didn't get far in the manga, but he slowly opens up and becomes more receptive to having friends.

As an aside, the contrast between Yu Narukami (anime) and Souji Seta is pretty interesting. They both approach loneliness and isolation in a different manner.

I haven't read the manga but, yeah, "pessimism" doesn't seem right in regards to Yu or Souji. That sounds more like an EP Tatsuya thing or a really early The Answer Aigis thing.

Meanwhile Makoto is "apathy", Maya is "optimism" and P1MC is "bland".

I can't honestly think of a time when he is.......... Well I guess that invalidates that quote. I wish we could have seen more of his parents now though.
http://toguchin.tumblr.com/post/30155827030/seta-souji-v-narukami-yu-the-difference-in
This is a good read for anyone who doesn't know there is a difference.

Rhapsody

Banned
I need to watch the movie. The year really flew by and I didn't realize it was out already.

I skimmed so I didn't read any real impressions, but I'm guessing the movie was good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom