• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
P4AU SPOILERS:

I checked out the Malevolent Entity's page on the MegaTen wiki, and it says this about Ultimax: "In Teddie's arcade route, it is revealed that the Malevolent Entity is masquerading as "General Teddie" during the P-1 Climax, and is "feigning cooperation" with Sho Minazuki until he obtains his "one true vessel."" That would seem to confirm that Sho is in fact the Eerie Voice from Arena, and the ME is still searching for the perfect vessel. There could, of course, be something else at play-- Minazuki might not be the ME at all. Depending on who Sho is - and there's at least some possibility that he's a Kirijo anti-shadow weapon - Minazuki might just be connected to that fact. Like, for instance, Sho may not have his Plume of Dusk, or it might not be active. If that changes, then he becomes Minazuki? Which means that ME could come into play in a different way... such as, perhaps, using Makoto? That's the only thing I can think of that would make sense as a "perfect vessel" in a game about concluding P3 and P4's stories.

EDIT (MORE P4A SPOILERS):

So I just watched a couple of the Arena endings, and the ME definitely refers to a "foolish human" that it's working with to achieve its goals. Which means that if Sho is the Eerie Voice, then he's human, not a Kirijo robot. Now I'm even more confused, since his eyes definitely have that Aigis/Labrys effect to them. Welp, I still think that Minazuki's trailer should help shed some light on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a clear idea of any of this until the game launches.

Do they have the same voice actors? (I realize that might not be a sure way to determine if they're the same person)?

It's a combination of Teens Are Short, TV giving people unrealistic expectations, and Reaity is Unrealistic. Ken's height is actually pretty realistic and normal, all things considered.

Ooh I've never read this one before.

I need to watch the movie. The year really flew by and I didn't realize it was out already.

I skimmed so I didn't read any real impressions, but I'm guessing the movie was good?

I think the overall opinion is it is good, with the high point being Makoto's characterization.
The only things I've seen people complain about is some of the animation and that it is kind of slow to get going.

He always was. Getting to watch the movie made me much more excited for Persona Q, realizing just how cool it will be to see him again, with an explicitly conveyed personality of his own potentially matching even that of the movie.

I always liked Makoto best, Narukami is a little boring for me. I´m in the group of people that when I´m playing a game, I like to roleplay as the MC that the creators "intended" (I know the developers intended for each person to add their own personality to the MC´s but its just a game I like to play) and Makoto was always easier because of his obvious angsty loner design, and more fun because "angsty loner" is way different from my actual personality.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think the overall opinion is it is good, with the high point being Makoto's characterization.
The only things I've seen people complain about is some of the animation and that it is kind of slow to get going.

That's good to hear. At least it sounds a lot better than DeSu2's and P4 the Animation's treatment.

I really enjoyed DS2, never understood the hate. Fantastic adaptation.

I never played the game, but just as an anime, it was pretty entertaining.
That's good to hear. At least it sounds a lot better than DeSu2's and P4 the Animation's treatment.
Also Unlike P4A, there's very little humor in the movie, it's mostly pretty serious throughout, with very faint bits of comedy scattered about.

kewlmyc

Random as hell question, but did anyone here enjoy Blue Dragon? Features youths summoning creatures to do their bidding in a JRPG setting like a certain series I like. Also features art by the guy behind Dragon Quest and Dragonball. Not sure if I should track it down or not.

Mdesilva

It's my favorite character trailer out of all of them so far because of how it's produced. I'd want the future trailers to be like that as well, but it's probably not possible.
I'm assuming P.Sho will have his own trailer since he wasn't shown (pun unintended) at the end of this one.

Also, Sho has such a good theme song.

Sophia

Random as hell question, but did anyone here enjoy Blue Dragon? Features youths summoning creatures to do their bidding in a JRPG setting like a certain series I like. Also features art by the guy behind Dragon Quest and Dragonball. Not sure if I should track it down or not.

Blue Dragon is an awesome game impacted by numerous technical issues, an average story, and a poor English dub. :(

I was actually playing Blue Dragon at the same time as P3FES late last year.

I ended up finishing FES and leaving Blue Dragon alone. I don't mean to imply the game is bad. In fact, there were a lot of times where I preferred Blue Dragon's battles and exploration to Persona 3. But the story of FES grabbed me.

It feels a lot like Chrono Trigger. If you enjoy that game, and you don't mind a simple, light-hearted story, go for it.

I loved Makoto but I was really impressed by Yukari's characterization. The changes to the Port Island investigation and when they save Fuuka really added a lot to her character and removed one of the writing flubs in the game where she seemed like kind of a jerk for no reason.

I felt they made Junpei a bit too much of a douche in the beginning, but he got better. I'm wondering how they'll handle his characterization up until he meets Chidori though, since his jealousy lasts quite a while.

I also think that Fuuka's story is just really bad. The extra scenes with Makoto in the beginning definitely improved it, but it was still really weird. The whole "you're my precious friend even though you and your friends mercilessly bully me" thing continues to be bizarre.

pan-hime

u nevr cheng joonp
tumblr_n5y8xzP4xp1qj6bfuo3_250.png

CorvoSol

Personoggle Innogle Snoggle Twoggle

I think I made a mistake and wandered into a Final Fantasy game with all these Elemental Crystals.

Horrible joke aside, let's take a minute to discuss Lisa's shadow:

1. Okay, the "you say you hate standing out but you really just want people to notice you" was a clever turn on her character. It fits perfectly, and I was really quite alright with that aspect of it. Typical Shadow Self confrontation there. Although I feel like this game's cast sorta seems to accept their Shadow Selves and THEN fight them, and the thing that triggered this fight was more their disagreement over Tatsuya or something? I guess, like many other sort of inconsistencies between this and Shadows as I've come to understand them, I'll just go "Nyarlothep did it." and call it good.

2. You know what's not okay, though? Lisa robbed dudes and did drugs. And this is THE FIRST AND ONLY FUCKING TIME IT IS MENTIONED. Shadow Lisa flings it in her face, she shrugs it off without a comment, and that is fucking that. I cannot be the only person who thinks that is a motherfucking megaton to drop and not have any explanation on at all, can I? God they made a HUGE deal about Shinji's drugs or whatever in P3 but Lisa is a crackwhore and nobody fucking says anything. Where's my character development? My conversation? My any fucking thing?

3. An interesting nod to P2 in P4A now arises in that Lisa's shadow points out that like Light and Darkness, she isn't going away just because she's been defeated once. Lisa seems okay with it and accepts it, and that's that. Really, the Elemental Crystal Skull hunt aside, this reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy IV as well.
I mean, Cecil, Kain, and to a lesser extent Golbez all face their "Shadow Selves" (some more in TAY than in IV proper) and in so doing gain newfound power. Cecil becomes a Paladin, Kain a Holy Dragon Knight, and Golbez discovers the miraculous power of not needing clothing. And at the end of the game Fusoya pontificates that light and darkness will always exist (which, considering Shadow Cecil comes back in the sequel, holds up).

If this game ever gets remade again, in addition to a total overhaul of its horrible gameplay, I'd love a new soundtrack. This game's music feels bland like, 75% of the time.

Moonlight

Banned
2. You know what's not okay, though? Lisa robbed dudes and did drugs. And this is THE FIRST AND ONLY FUCKING TIME IT IS MENTIONED. Shadow Lisa flings it in her face, she shrugs it off without a comment, and that is fucking that. I cannot be the only person who thinks that is a motherfucking megaton to drop and not have any explanation on at all, can I? God they made a HUGE deal about Shinji's drugs or whatever in P3 but Lisa is a crackwhore and nobody fucking says anything. Where's my character development? My conversation? My any fucking thing?
I know.
When I first saw that scene and particular reveal, I was legitimately stunned, and even kinda impressed by how bold it seemed. It just seemed like this huge thing about Lisa and her character, and then the game and apparently everyone in it just forgets about it. The game does nothing with it at all. The more I thought about it, the more frustrated I was with the whole thing. Like, what the heck. I think I stopped looking at it as anything especially bold or brave about where it was taking the story, and just something thrown in there for pure shock value and nothing else. Why even throw it in, at that point? I wasn't expecting, like, an intervention or something, I was just expecting something.

It sucks even more, since Lisa was my favourite character in the game and it was pretty dumb for her character arc to mostly have been resolved and then they randomly open a can of worms they proceed to do nothing about.

At least the scene afterwards was cute.

CorvoSol

I know.
When I first saw that scene and particular reveal, I was legitimately stunned, and even kinda impressed by how bold it seemed. It just seemed like this huge thing about Lisa and her character, and then the game and apparently everyone in it just forgets about it. The game does nothing with it at all. The more I thought about it, the more frustrated I was with the whole thing. Like, what the heck. I think I stopped looking at it as anything especially bold or brave about where it was taking the story, and just something thrown in there for pure shock value and nothing else. Why even throw it in, at that point? I wasn't expecting, like, an intervention or something, I was just expecting something.

It sucks even more, since Lisa was my favourite character in the game and it was pretty dumb for her character arc to mostly have been resolved and then they randomly open a can of worms they proceed to do nothing about.

Yeah. I didn't need
an intervention to go down
but when Maya was all
WOW GREAT CONFESSION LISA
I was like
Really? We ain't gonna talk about the drug use or the gold digging? How sweet, perky Lisa did those things? Nobody is going to confront this?

cj_iwakura

Yeah. I didn't need
an intervention to go down
but when Maya was all
WOW GREAT CONFESSION LISA
I was like
Really? We ain't gonna talk about the drug use or the gold digging? How sweet, perky Lisa did those things? Nobody is going to confront this?

What do you expect them to do? They were being good friends. It's not like they're Holden from Chasing Amy. It was in her past.

LX_Theo

Banned
I know.

Been a while since I played that part, but
I got the impression that Lisa had already taken the steps to move past that part of her life. It was more the guilt and self-esteem from knowing it was part of her that was dragging her down. It didn't seem like something that needed all that much attention outside of its effect on her psyche.

Marche90

Just finished the movie. Outstanding is selling it short. Seriously, it's by far the best animated adaptation of a MegaTen work (not that managing that is hard, but, eh...)

Also, damn, I'm gonna need that OST CD in my shelf. I truly loved the remixes.

I really enjoyed DS2, never understood the hate. Fantastic adaptation.

Characterization of the MC could have been better, for starters.

Shinjiro was just a plot device who's in the game like, what, maybe an hour total before getting offed?

His S. Link with FeMC made him so gooooooood though.

Seriously, it's one of the most well-done S. Links in P3P. Character development, emotions and cake for everyone!

fertygo

Yukari confronting Makoto is my favorite thing in the movie, and the last fight are my most disliked, so cheesy lol

And music placement could've better.

Guess Who

Banned
One thing about the P3 Movie: if you have a stereo system (not surround) and you noticed the music is a bit low in the mix, make sure to set the sound mix to stereo and not surround.

Guess Who

Banned
The only real criticism I have of the first P3 movie is that the final fight drags on a bit too long. Doesn't help that I've played the game and was practically screaming
COME ON FUUKA FIGURE OUT YOU CAN ANALYZE ALREADY JESUS

The only real criticism I have of the first P3 movie is that the final fight drags on a bit too long. Doesn't help that I've played the game and was practically screaming
COME ON FUUKA FIGURE OUT YOU CAN ANALYZE ALREADY JESUS

You're not supposed to reveal your true power until everyone in the party is at 1 HP.

arue

So, for those who have seen P3 The Movie 1, what's your opinion?

It was actually a good movie/anime adaptation of a video game (unlike DeSu2). The pace was smooth because it focuses on the main plot and it just drops some hints on the social link aspects. I like how the movie actually expands Fuuka's arc, even though her reasoning still strikes me as odd. Makoto's personality is actually better than I expected. The last fight kinda drags on for almost too long, but I'm glad it ends with everybody's contribution, instead of the typical hero finishing everything on his own the whole time.

There were some animation problems, but they didn't really distract me. I also like the remixes and the music choices. I was really satisfied when Want to be Close and Mass Destruction play on the right moments.

Overall, the movie did better than I expected. I really look forward to #2 because the plot is more interesting. If the studio do the same job to #2 like they did to #1, then #2 will do very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom