• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 or so hours in and I'm at the 12th shadow in Persona 3 fes. Game is a far cry from persona 4 wth? Game has been kind of boring the majority of the time with very few interesting moments. Tartarus is a chore and the way the days go by is so formulaic. I'm jaded now.

CorvoSol

What do you expect them to do? They were being good friends. It's not like they're Holden from Chasing Amy. It was in her past.

I expect them to talk about it instead of using it as a cheap ass shock value, which is what the game did. I expect someone to react. I don't expect one fucking line and then for it to be thrown away. This is not character development. This is cheap tricks and ploys to get me to give a shit and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Moonlight

Banned
I expect them to talk about it instead of using it as a cheap ass shock value, which is what the game did. I expect someone to react. I don't expect one fucking line and then for it to be thrown away. This is not character development. This is cheap tricks and ploys to get me to give a shit and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I think the most annoying thing is that I definitely would have 'given a shit' even if some of the 'revelations' weren't something so in-your-face-shocking. As I said, Lisa was my favourite character and I was invested in her arc. Throwing that in there at the last minute just because really cheapens it.

pariah164

50 or so hours in and I'm at the 12th shadow in Persona 3 fes. Game is a far cry from persona 4 wth? Game has been kind of boring the majority of the time with very few interesting moments. Tartarus is a chore and the way the days go by is so formulaic. I'm jaded now.
The overall feel of the game is quite different from P34, yes, but that's king of the point.

CorvoSol

I think the most annoying thing is that I definitely would have 'given a shit' even if some of the 'revelations' weren't something so in-your-face-shocking. As I said, Lisa was my favourite character and I was invested in her arc. Throwing that in there at the last minute just because really cheapens it.

I agree. The entire scene was really working out just fine, and was going to be better than Maya's or Yukino's, but then they went super far and expected everyone to be like "oh no biggie" and so it just sort of fell flat.

Well if it makes you feel any better you're literally right before the plot really gets moving lol. And the ending is worth it.

But it sounds like the game isn't for you. I'm impressed you've played for 50 hours considering this post.

Soriku

-Not many (meaningful) story events.
-Less character interaction and worse pacing as a result.
-Less interesting single dungeon compared to P4's many dungeons.

Yeah that's Persona 3. Still like it a lot though.

abrack08

It doesn't exactly make sense in that context for them to all sit down and have a major chat about what she used to do in the past, so I don't know what else you expected out of it. What would have made it not feel like a cheap trick to you? I had no problem with that scene.

CorvoSol

It doesn't exactly make sense in that context for them to all sit down and have a major chat about what she used to do in the past, so I don't know what else you expected out of it. What would have made it not feel like a cheap trick to you? I had no problem with that scene.

Well one, like Moonlight said, not throwing it in on top of shit would've been a great way to not make it seem like a cheap trick, but two, how about Lisa could've said something? She doesn't even fucking say anything about it. Shadow Lisa says it and Lisa just blinks it off. But they should've laid the foundation for this shit well in advance, made Lisa address it, and then moved on if they were going to do this. You don't half cock into this. Instead, Shadow Lisa says it, Lisa doesn't hear her, and afterwards nobody even says anything afterward. No "Oh gosh, Lisa, I'm sorry." No "Holy SHIT Lisa." Nothing.

What did I expect? I expected something less lazy.

I mean, there's no real reaction to it. In Persona 1, 3, and 4 the cast reacts when things happen to each other. When Yukiko is melting down, Chie has stuff to say. When you find out about Maki both Mark and Nanjo have important things to say to her. But in this case it's like a long ass silence on the party's part followed by one huge forced smile and generic "Ohoho I will be the winning girl!" talk.

Meia

Well one, like Moonlight said, not throwing it in on top of shit would've been a great way to not make it seem like a cheap trick, but two, how about Lisa could've said something? She doesn't even fucking say anything about it. Shadow Lisa says it and Lisa just blinks it off. But they should've laid the foundation for this shit well in advance, made Lisa address it, and then moved on if they were going to do this. You don't half cock into this. Instead, Shadow Lisa says it, Lisa doesn't hear her, and afterwards nobody even says anything afterward. No "Oh gosh, Lisa, I'm sorry." No "Holy SHIT Lisa." Nothing.

What did I expect? I expected something less lazy.

I mean, there's no real reaction to it. In Persona 1, 3, and 4 the cast reacts when things happen to each other. When Yukiko is melting down, Chie has stuff to say. When you find out about Maki both Mark and Nanjo have important things to say to her. But in this case it's like a long ass silence on the party's part followed by one huge forced smile and generic "Ohoho I will be the winning girl!" talk.

As much as I disagree with most of your IS thoughts so far, you're really not at all wrong about this.

I mean, yeah, shit's going crazy and there's not much to address it, but the P1 example shit was still going crazy there too, ya know? A no sell reaction to something like that is kind of, well, bad. And anything bad like that really kind of sticks out in games like these(why people don't like Marie for example).

CorvoSol

I really think Moonlight has the right of it, though. It just doesn't add to Lisa's character and the scene is so much better without it, because without it it is a solid scene in which Lisa is forced to confront what is flawed and wrong with her character, and so it serves as a very good Shadow Self confrontation. Like, without this thing I really do feel it tops Maya and Yukino and seems pretty well done.

I sort of disagree with when the game decides to do it, since I think it would've made more sense to do the whole Shadow Lisa thing back during the Muse arc, but I can understand why they chose to do it now, to better develop her so that the scene would carry more weight when it came. Which only really deepens my frustration with this particular facet of that scene, because it was altogether unnecessary and bogs the entire thing down.

I have my issues with the game, with how it plays, how its music sounds and how it tells its story, and no small amount of my frustration with that final part is owed the hype the game was given prior to my beginning it (as an aside I feel that I like Persona 1 much more than IS in part because nobody was breathing down my neck about how great P1 was so I got to discover that game on my own), but I think at times what irks me about Innocent Sin's story is just that it starts going good, and then derails itself for crazy things for the sake of insanity, and it vexes me doubly because I normally love crazy for the sake of crazy.

ig_by_not_a_hazard-d7j2wtx.png

HAI GUYZ~~~~~

Acid08

Banned
P3 movie was as good as I hoped. Nice looking animation and it's doing a really good job with the characters, Makoto especially. Love that they're portraying him as actually being a really troubled dude that is going to have to grow along with the rest of the team. His deranged look while summoning his Persona is top notch too, that wicked smile is a powerful image. Yukari is very well done too, she comes across as much less cold right away. The little changes they made to Fuuka's introduction helped establish her much better than they do in the game too.
I actually grimaced when Kenji showed up :lol

Overall it was a pretty top notch production, the characters really do deserve this kind of updated treatment. They're a good bunch.

I've been waiting for this.

MSMrRound

Are we still trying to avoid discussing the ending to a now 6 year old game.

People are usually courteous enough to use a spoiler tag when discussing about the game, since there are a lot of people who are LTTP (late to the party) with regards to Persona 4 and other related games.You should probably do that too.

Sophia

Every single incarnation of this community thread has had a notice in bold letters stating to mark your spoilers. The age of the game is no justification for not marking them, seeing as this thread covers games going back fifteen years or more.

Please mark your spoilers.

lawful

Banned
I don't think anyone new to P4 would understand what I said as a spoiler to the game, and the only people who would complain, you guys, have already beaten the game. And the fact that you make a such a big deal out of a simple statement makes it even more of a spoiler. The whole 'it continues to exist because you keep talking about it' type of argument can be made here. Nowhere in my post do I even say what happens in the end but by making a big deal out of it you yourselves expose the ending.

I meant no disrespect.

Meia

I don't think anyone new to P4 would understand what I said as a spoiler to the game, and the only people who would complain, you guys, have already beaten the game. And the fact that you make a such a big deal out of a simple statement makes it even more of a spoiler. The whole 'it continues to exist because you keep talking about it' type of argument can be made here. Nowhere in my post do I even say what happens in the end but by making a big deal out of it you yourselves expose the ending.

I meant no disrespect.

You said the name of a character that for the vast majority of the game no one even realizes they have a Persona, and there's a good reason for that. This isn't some random NPC/social link in the game you're trying to argue to be in a FIGHTING GAME with all the other persona users here. :p

Sophia

You post pretty much spoiled the whole plot point, actually. Seeing as prior to your edit you blatantly mentioned the ending and Adachi in the same sentence. Which considering the game is a murder mystery, kind of gives it away right away. Likewise, you don't get to decide the rules for the community thread. That's up to the mods, Dantis, and the members of the community as a whole, and right now the rule is pretty clear that one should mark spoilers.

There is the possibility in the future that such a thing will no longer be considered spoilers due to the impracticability, but that time has not come yet.

lawful

Banned
You post pretty much spoiled the whole plot point, actually. Seeing as prior to your edit you blatantly mentioned the ending and Adachi in the same sentence. Which considering the game is a murder mystery, kind of gives it away right away. Likewise, you don't get to decide the rules for the community thread. That's up to the mods, Dantis, and the members of the community as a whole, and right now the rule is pretty clear that one should mark spoilers.

Like I said, I didn't mean any disrespect. Post has been edited. I like the Persona community. Nice bunch of folks. Wish I could say I was into JRPGs cause I'd get down on P5 when it launches in 2023.

MSMrRound

Why would Adachi, a seemingly normal NPC have anything to do with Arena? Mentioning Adachi followed by "I'll main him" will make people go, "why is he talking about Adachi? Not to mention being playable? Did he have something to do with the central Persona 4 plot? It's quite easy for them to put two and two together.

Also, please spoiler mark the character that you are referring to. Your original post still heavy hint towards the central plot of Persona 4.

Dantis

Anyway, no that character is not yet in Ultimax. I actually do wonder if they'll be in there as a seventh and final character.

Jintor

If that char does appear in P4A2 outright with a trailer and famitsu reveal and everything it'd be pretttttty weeeeeeeirdddddddd

lawful

Banned
Anyway, no that character is not yet in Ultimax. I actually do wonder if they'll be in there as a seventh and final character.

Any word on whether this will be a full fledged release as in a separate game or a digital upgrade like Acarde Edition or Ultra for Super Street Fighter 4? Doesn't seem like enough new content to justify a whole new disc. But I guess Atlus needs to make money somehow...

Dantis

Any word on whether this will be a full fledged release as in a separate game or a digital upgrade like Acarde Edition or Ultra for Super Street Fighter 4? Doesn't seem like enough new content to justify a whole new disc. But I guess Atlus needs to make money somehow...

It's a full $60 release. Which is pretty shitty, to be honest. It seems that the Blazblue sequels were priced lower, but Atlus hasn't followed suit.

If that char does appear in P4A2 outright with a trailer and famitsu reveal and everything it'd be pretttttty weeeeeeeirdddddddd

Apparently Japan loves the character, so that's the only reason I can imagine them being included.

Personally, I'm not a fan at all. Found them very unlikeable, and didn't like their design either.

MSMrRound

Edit.

Sophia

There's a lot of options if that happens. Although it's safe to say that the Ultimax official thread will probably have a blatant spoiler warning at the top. :p

It's a proper sequel like the MVC3 to your MVC2. It's not a reskin+new characters llike Ultimate MVC3.

Not quite. Although it is a far bigger jump than most fighting game updates are.

Jintor

I still haven't bought Arena because it was $60 in stores a full YEAR after it launched and I never bothered to check it again. (I think it might've been $40 or something last I saw)

lawful

Banned
That is nonsense. Also, anyone know if any of the mods from the Atlus forums (or any of the regulars from there) post here? I would love to say hi.....

shuma-infinite.jpg

Meia

What.

This is not true.

New game modes, different story telling method, continues the story setup from the first game...

A better comparison would be going from Street Fighter 4 to AE. The main villain remains the same, so the story does too. This isn't that. Those were also full price.

Dantis

New game modes, different story telling method, continues the story setup from the first game...

A better comparison would be going from Street Fighter 4 to AE. The main villain remains the same, so the story does too. This isn't that. Those were also full price.

Arcade Edition was $60?

Get out of town. Seriously?

Also the best comparison is Blazblue to Continuum Shift.

That is nonsense. Also, anyone know if any of the mods from the Atlus forums (or any of the regulars from there) post here? I would love to say hi.....

shuma-infinite.jpg

Nich Maragos from Atlus posts in here, but that's probably it. I used the Atlus forums briefly when the Arena region lock was announced, but then I took my argument here instead

So it seems that the P4 Animation guys did an absolute ton of illustrations for various things. There are loads more than just these, too.

They also designed a swimsuit for Naoto, which I guess they were going to use in the beauty pageant. Probably for the best that they didn't.
I found some high resolution of this in a web. I suppose becuase they are scans they can be posted here though :(

How many does this make?
Ne8IU8a.png

Chief Detective of the Inaba Police, Ryotaro Dojima is on the course! He might have been a real golf wiz when he was younger, but with his demanding job and having to raise Nanako, he doesn't get much playing time anymore. So he might be a little rusty, but he will make time to play today. What more can a guy ask for than have fun with his daughter and nephew?

Everyone's most favoritest character comes next.

Hahahaha, never thought he was going to have his normal clothes, but that suits him.

Yep, thats Persona 3.
I like it but you are right about that, the days are much more formulaic than in P4, also, not enough events or character interaction (surprising becuase the all live under the same roof).
Also if you don't like dark anime type story elements the middle end is not going to do anything for you.

Dantis

Ok, it was apparently $40, but it also wasn't a story sequel, just an expansion upgrade. I guess it depends on what you consider Ultimax. I go with sequel.

I consider it a half-sequel. I also think it should be $40. The only unusual thing it adds is the story mode.

Sophia

Arcade Edition was $60?

Get out of town. Seriously?

Also the best comparison is Blazblue to Continuum Shift.

It wasn't. It was a 15 dollar digital upgrade and a 40 dollar disc.

I believe what Meia meant is Arena to Ultimax is pretty comparable to the jump from regular Street Fighter 4 to Arcade Edition. That itself was pretty much $60, assuming you did the upgrade from SSFIV to AE after buying SSFIV.

I don't personally feel the price is unreasonable, honestly. Ultimax is full of content. Entirely new story mode, several new stages, a significant increase to the roaster when you count Shadow characters, and new gameplay modems like Golden Arena.

Dantis

I believe what Meia meant is Arena to Ultimax is pretty comparable to the jump from regular Street Fighter 4 to Arcade Edition. That itself was pretty much $60, assuming you did the upgrade from SSFIV to AE.

I don't personally feel the price is unreasonable, honestly. Ultimax is full of content. Entirely new story mode, several new stages, a significant increase to the roaster when you count Shadow characters, and new gameplay modems like Golden Arena.

:/

But really, there are six new characters.

I personally think they should add more characters. Arena came out 2 years ago. 5 new characters isn't justifiable in my book.

Yep, i said 5. Sho Persona is a half ass attempt for an extra character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom