• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
in all fairness this is ASW we're talking about. They normally have DLC for their games before they begin development. :p

On the other hand, Arena had no character DLC, so it may be the same for Ultimax.

If this is the last entry in the persona fighting series, i think they should just go all out. Add
Makoto, Adachi, FMC, Theo, Margaret, Fuuka, the odd p1/p2 character,
etc.They dont have to be in the story, just include them into the versus mode.

in all fairness this is ASW we're talking about. They normally have DLC for their games before they begin development. :p

On the other hand, Arena had no character DLC, so it may be the same for Ultimax.

You should probably spoiler tag those names [see previous page]

p.s I agree, some all out silliness would be much appreciated.

Ultimax will have; 6 completely new characters,
Shadow types for most of the cast,
New stages,
New music,
New movesets,
Character balances,
New story/stories which will be voiced with new dialogue (I assume some new dialogue for fights as well),
New game type (Golden Arena),
Changes to old game types (Score attack and Challenge mode).
I'm probably missing some stuff but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

All that plus the majority of the content from Arena (Arcade mode, Practice mode, Versus mode, Network mode, Old music, Old stages etc etc), and I think you have a fairly good justification for a full price tag.
Especially if you compare it to other games where all they include is a roster update and still put full price on it year in year out.

If this is the last entry in the persona fighting series, i think they should just go all out. Add
Makoto, Adachi, FMC, Theo, Margaret, Fuuka, the odd p1/p2 character,
etc.They dont have to be in the story, just include them into the versus mode.

To be quite honest, I highly doubt this will be the last one. Maybe the last one for a couple years but not the last one entirely. Especially since they want to make Persona a staple in the fighting game genre. I can see maybe 2 or 3 years after P5 releases, a new game encompassing P3, P4 and P5 characters.

Dantis

New stages,
New music,
New movesets,
Character balances,
New story/stories which will be voiced with new dialogue (I assume some new dialogue for fights as well),

Aside from the story mode and the Shadow characters, this is all completely standard for a fighting game update, most of which charge $40.

I think that if people are okay paying that, then it's fine, but personally I think it's kinda pricey.

Aside from the story mode and the Shadow characters, this is all completely standard for a fighting game update, most of which charge $40.

I think that if people are okay paying that, then it's fine, but personally I think it's kinda pricey.

Yep, the game should definitely not be $60. I can see that price dropping very quickly 2-4 weeks after its release

Mdesilva

I think Story Mode really justifies it. It's a whole new Persona story that's gonna be several hours, so it's not that crazy for it to cost more.

Dantis

Yep, the game should definitely not be $60. I can see that price dropping very quickly 2-4 weeks after its release

Arena 1 dropped real fast.

I bet Ultimax drops faster.

I think Story Mode really justifies it. It's a whole new Persona story that's gonna be several hours, so it's not that crazy for it to cost more.

I think it depends how interested you are in the story mode. The first game had like a fifteen hour story mode, but a huge chunk of that was unspoken internal monologues, and the rest was two portraits talking at each other.

To a large extent it's basically a drama CD.

I suppose to each their own, I can (in my head) justify buying Ultimax full price but I cant justify buying another version of, lets say, SF4.

Completely agree with this, Arena had so many hours of story content, granted it was a jumbled mess which prolonged the time, but if Ultimax has 10-15 hours of story then that warrants the price for me.

lawful

Banned

If it's anything like the first one's story mode, as in a visual novel with so much reading involved they might as well just released a companion book, then no I don't think that is worth another 60 dollars

I just hope story mode isn't two portraits talking back and fourth to one another.

Would be nice if they could incorporate some sort of unique gameplay mechanic, like free roaming around the city (p3p style). Also cut the internal dialog down by 90%

Dantis

I just hope story mode isn't two portraits talking back and fourth to one another.

Would be nice if they could incorporate some sort of unique gameplay mechanic, like free roaming around the city (p3p style). Also cut the internal dialog down by 90%

There is a zero percent chance of this.

The presentation of the story mode will be identical.

Maybe in P4DAN though, since we've seen full character models eh?
To be honest the price of Ultimax isnt going to affect me anyway since I live in the UK and we will never get it here.
Kappa

Meia

Yep, just without all the nonsense repeating scenes we had to deal with like in Arena, which already is a marked improvement. :p

And I'm going to stop talking about the game's price, because after just buying the P3 movie poster and remembering I have at least $100 worth of PQ stuff I'm importing next month, I'm in no place to talk about it. :p

New stages,
New music,
New movesets,
Character balances,
I'm probably missing some stuff but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

That's all good, but we're getting less new content in P4U then we got in P4A. Not to mention that all the most costly and time-consuming aspects (engine and netcode) are already completed.

This is my first fighting game, so maybe I'm not used to it, but I can't imagine this amount of asset reuse would be acceptable in any other genre's sequel. (besides sports)

That's all good, but we're getting less new content in P4U then we got in P4A. Not to mention that all the most costly and time-consuming aspects (engine and netcode) are already completed.

I'm probably misunderstanding you but of course P4U has less new content, P4A was a brand new game, everything was new. Plus I doubt the netcode is done yet since they still cant answer about region locking, but thats just a guess.

I'm probably misunderstanding you but of course P4U has less new content, P4A was a brand new game, everything was new. Plus I doubt the netcode is done yet since they still cant answer about region locking, but thats just a guess.

Naw, you're understanding me. Let's take a series like Uncharted. Uncharted 2 had way more new material than the first one. Totally redone textures, music, etc. No where near the amount of recycled content.

Menome

With the fifth game looming on the horizon and no sign of a PSN release in the EU region, I borrowed a friend's copy of Persona 4 and have finally played through it on the PCSX2 emulator after learning it was finally stable enough to do a run-through with.

Damned good game, despite a few niggles (Repetitive nature of the dungeons literally sent me to sleep on some sessions, really steep learning curve in Yukiko's Castle and no explanation given as to which branch of Personas suits particular playstyles without trial and error unlocking the abilities) and I've got Persona 4 Arena ready to go on my PS3 too.

I take it those few sentences on Wikipedia are all we know about Persona 5 so far?

Dantis

With the fifth game looming on the horizon and no sign of a PSN release in the EU region, I borrowed a friend's copy of Persona 4 and have finally played through it on the PCSX2 emulator after learning it was finally stable enough to do a run-through with.

Damned good game, despite a few niggles (Repetitive nature of the dungeons literally sent me to sleep on some sessions, really steep learning curve in Yukiko's Castle and no explanation given as to which branch of Personas suits particular playstyles without trial and error unlocking the abilities) and I've got Persona 4 Arena ready to go on my PS3 too.

I take it those few sentences on Wikipedia are all we know about Persona 5 so far?

We know next to nothing about P5, really.

Maybe in P4DAN though, since we've seen full character models eh?
To be honest the price of Ultimax isnt going to affect me anyway since I live in the UK and we will never get it here.
Kappa

I'm really looking forward to seeing more Dancing All Night. So many questions!

Naw, you're understanding me. Let's take a series like Uncharted. Uncharted 2 had way more new material than the first one. Totally redone textures, music, etc. No where near the amount of recycled content.

Ahh I get ya now, I suppose the main difference is that Atlus has nowhere near the resources, staff or money to be completely re-doing everything. I tend to forget myself that the Persona staff is a small division of a relatively small company to begin with.
Lets think about it like this, it took them 6 years to make a new game between P4 and P5. I would not like to be waiting that long between spin-off incarnations, so the asset re-use seems justified in my head.

Menome

We know next to nothing about P5, really.

Ah well, I suppose something in the world has to maintain the karmic balance with Ubisoft's two-year marketing campaigns.

Look forward to it though regardless, especially as we've had Ni No Kuni in the interim showing us the PS3 is capable of nearly-anime graphics.

Dantis

What sort of questions?

Everything, really. I want to know what everyone looks like (this is the thing I'm probably most interested in right now); I want to know what the music sounds like; I want to know what the gameplay modes are like (particularly the story)... We barely know anything.

Ahh I get ya now, I suppose the main difference is that Atlus has nowhere near the resources, staff or money to be completely re-doing everything. I tend to forget myself that the Persona staff is a small division of a relatively small company to begin with.
Lets think about it like this, it took them 6 years to make a new game between P4 and P5. I would not like to be waiting that long between spin-off incarnations, so the asset re-use seems justified in my head.

That's true. I think what's really rubbing me the wrong way is reusing the same character art and theme songs for returning characters in the sequel. That just screams laziness to me.

pan-hime

AtlusTSU provided some new screenshots on Ken+Koro plus some action shot/moveset explaination(?)

XSVqdLE.jpg

Rl1gxz6.jpg

Everything, really. I want to know what everyone looks like (this is the thing I'm probably most interested in right now); I want to know what the music sounds like; I want to know what the gameplay modes are like (particularly the story)... We barely know anything.

I'm interested in seeing what alternative costumes they are going to add. as for gameplay modes, I assume it will be VN style cut-scenes in-between songs for story.

Hopefully it's not long till we get some news.

id rather have a solid 10 hour story mode than a 15 hour story with 5 hours worth of filler. Im hoping Atlus and ASW have taken the feedback from Arena very seriously.

Dantis

I'm interested in seeing what alternative costumes they are going to add. as for gameplay modes, I assume it will be VN style cut-scenes in-between songs for story.

Hopefully it's not long till we get some news.

You're just hoping for swimsuits.

I'm interested in the alternate costumes too. Really hope they just have casual outfits. The uniforms would be nice, too.

Hate to be the one to say this, but there will be NO additional costumes. Its not as simple to change outfits in a 2d fighter like it is in 3d. They'd have to redraw all the animations again with the new design. With 3d models, this process is not required.

Would love to see Akihiko put his p3 outfit back on though. His new one is WTF??

You're just hoping for swimsuits.

I'm interested in the alternate costumes too. Really hope they just have casual outfits. The uniforms would be nice, too.

I personally think that all the characters, other than Rise and the new chick, will be wearing school uniforms by default.

I personally think that all the characters, other than Rise and the new chick, will be wearing school uniforms by default.
I feel like they are all going to be variations of the school uniform. I have the feeling that Narukami's is simplistic by design because of the whole MC thing, but if you look at Rise's costume, you will see that its also a heavily modified version of her uniform

Hate to be the one to say this, but there will be NO additional costumes. Its not as simple to change outfits in a 2d fighter like it is in 3d. They'd have to redraw all the animations again with the new design. With 3d models, this process is not required.

Isnt the game being made by the same people who did project diva? If so then it'll be costumes aplenty, that game has like 20 costumes per character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom