• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess Who

Banned
zLOthj2.jpg

JcosgKG.png

Meia

So, P3M is out and people are loving it. We wanna do a commentary track over it for an episode of S. Link FM. I wish I'd had the idea sooner because I know a lot of you have already scene it, but really, commentaries are better with prior knowledge and context of the given film anyway. That's how they're usually recorded, after all.

So, who would be interested in doing that?

If you guys do this, you have to do it like I saw a radio show do for back to the future. Have everyone ready to queue up their movies, count it down, and then have everyone start it at the same time like it's a real commentary track.

It would be AMAZING.

Levito

Banned
If you guys do this, you have to do it like I saw a radio show do for back to the future. Have everyone ready to queue up their movies, count it down, and then have everyone start it at the same time like it's a real commentary track.

It would be AMAZING.

That's what'll happen, I've recorded them before for RelyOnHorror. They're kinda tricky, but fun.

CorvoSol

...did you like totally miss the whole idea of the lighter and who it actually belongs to? You actually listed this as a complaint at one point that he always flicks it out no matter what's happening around him, and yet you failed to draw any kind of conclusion to that possibly being linked to that dungeon outcome? :p

I get the lighter and I still don't think it does what I'm talking about here. You can argue it does, but I'm going to have to insistently disagree that it's insufficient for what I'm going for here. If the lighter is meant to show me just how deeply Tatsuya gives a shit, it certainly doesn't do anything to make me, the player, give one, and that is the failing I lay at this game's feet: it assumes I automatically care about all of this without investing any genuine effort into getting me to do so.

Oh and the music is fucking awesome.

Some of it, sure. I'm very partial to this song: Knights of the Holy Spear but some of it, the battle theme in particular, is just grating to me.

No Fighting, guys. ;__;

I really, really don't want to sound confrontational. I don't even want to hate this game. No one is more upset than I am that I'm not clicking with this game.

This is more like a plot pillow fight.

We should just do a PersonaGAF wide pillow fight.

So, P3M is out and people are loving it. We wanna do a commentary track over it for an episode of S. Link FM. I wish I'd had the idea sooner because I know a lot of you have already scene it, but really, commentaries are better with prior knowledge and context of the given film anyway. That's how they're usually recorded, after all.

I'd love to if you need extra people.

pariah164

I'm trying to justify buying P3P on the PSN for my Vita. I mean, I've triple-dipped on P3 already (P3, FES, P3P), but at the same time, not sure how much longer my PSP disc drive is going to last. I already have a broken one laying around here somewhere. That and only $5...

Help me, PersonaGAF. You're my only hope.

So, I just watched the P3 Movie. It is amazing. Sure, Fuuka's arc isn't the best and her whole situation with Natsuki still doesn't really make sense to me, but at least they developed that and I think they handled it better than the game.

It was also nice to see cameos from some Social Links. It was a wise choice to not include them because it really would be impossinble to fit everything in a movie. In fact, due to that decision the plot actually feels like it moves faster, unlike the game, where you have a month full of nothing, a full moon operation and then another month full of nothing.

I loved the way they handled the main trio, mostly because of the personality they gave to Makoto. I wasn't really expecting some of the things I he said (specially with
his attitude towards death
), and that led to some really cool scenes. I'm really liking his character so far and his relationship with everybody.

All in all, it was a great movie and a great start. Now I can't wait to see some of the latter stuff. Considering the personality they gave him, I'm really looking forward to (spoilers for entire P3 game, yo)
Makoto's relationship with Aigis, his reaction to Shinji's death, the whole Ikutsuki thing, Ryoji and all stuff. Hell, I'm even looking forward to how he reacts to Koromaru. He doesn't seem to give a shit about anything, the meeting between the two might be funny. And considering his and Yukari's attitude towards death... Man, the ending is going to hit hard.

Also, I can't wait for the dub.

Levito

Banned
Just watched Spring Of Birth....

WOW, that was *a lot* better than I was expecting.

Sweet. I'll PM you my Skype name, so you can add me.

Of we can get one more/someone else wants to come on, that'd be cool and fine. Four is great though. So right now it's me, Levito, Kewlmyc, and Rockder!

Scarfty asked first, so he should probably get the 4th spot for now.

CSX

finished watching it.

Liked how they characterized MC as if the player chose all the silent , avoid conversation dialogue choices :p

I'm guessing the later movies will have him change to a more open and social dude.

Him "doing whatever he's told" will probably build into the
Ikutsuki betrayal later on and endgame decisions.

I kinda found the use of the game's transitions (calendar, dark hour clock) and same music kinda cheesy. Especially at the last battle when
vulnerabilities are being yelled out
. I know it's part of the game but man it's just...weird outside of the game medium if ya catch my drift.

I do like the concept of how they fight using Personas though. Pretty much how I pictured it if the battles in the game were real-time based

Squire

Banned
Just watched Spring Of Birth....

WOW, that was *a lot* better than I was expecting.

Scarfty asked first, so he should probably get the 4th spot for now.

I had a brain fart. I *just* replied to his post a few hours ago.

Alright. Seems like we're good to go, barring any emergencies/drop-outs.

Meia

I still say one of my favorite moments of the movie, and a defining one for the character(that is usually just a comedic thing in other things but may be something more serious in this one) is
when they're freaking out about not being able to stop the train. He says to Junpei earlier that if it crashes they'll all die, then questions to Yukari when she freaks out "Oh, you want to stop the train?" then hits the brakes. He's a character that flat out is FULL of apathy, which is perfect given P3's themes.

Seeing how he'll grow over the course of the whole series is going to be wonderful. :D

Levito

Banned
I still say one of my favorite moments of the movie, and a defining one for the character(that is usually just a comedic thing in other things but may be something more serious in this one) is
when they're freaking out about not being able to stop the train. He says to Junpei earlier that if it crashes they'll all die, then questions to Yukari when she freaks out "Oh, you want to stop the train?" then hits the brakes. He's a character that flat out is FULL of apathy, which is perfect given P3's themes.

Seeing how he'll grow over the course of the whole series is going to be wonderful. :D

I felt the whole deadpan Makoto was an interesting choice to say the least. It's definitely how imagined his personality given his speech options in game, though it's a bit odd for a movie.

The moment when he said "You chained your nose to your face so you wouldn't lose it" had me rolling.

Canon

Banned
I just beat Persona 4 Golden for the first time and I'm really fucking depressed. My waifu is gone.

Also, I didn't even realize you could have a bond with Kanji so I only got to level 2 before the game skipped an entire month on me.

What should I do now? Does the anime have more content than the game? I didn't really think the animation or voice acting in the cutscenes lived up to the game (it felt a little stiff), but maybe the anime is better.

It's sad but I was living my life through this game for a while. So fuck me.

I do have Shin Megami Tensei IV but it's not really all that great in comparison, I mean it's solid but the characters are whatever.

EDIT: Is the voice actor for the hero in the anime Adachi's voice actor in the game? Weird. And Kanji sounds off.

I just beat Persona 4 Golden for the first time and I'm really fucking depressed. My waifu is gone.

Also, I didn't even realize you could have a bond with Kanji so I only got to level 2 before the game skipped an entire month on me.

What should I do now? Does the anime have more content than the game? I didn't really think the animation or voice acting in the cutscenes lived up to the game (it felt a little stiff), but maybe the anime is better.

I do have Shin Megami Tensei IV but it's not really all that great in comparison, I mean it's solid but the characters are whatever.

EDIT: Is the voice actor for the hero in the anime Adachi's voice actor in the game? Weird. And Kanji sounds off.

In English yes, Japanese no. There both voiced by Johnny Young Bosch in English, the only real difference is that Adachi has bit more raspier voice to him.
In Japanese they're done by two different VA's, Daisuke Namikawa as Yu and Mitsuaki Madono as Adachi.
As for Kanji well he done by a different person for the latter half of the anime Matthew Mercer, who was Walter in SMT IV. While Troy Baker did Kanji for the first half, the reason why is mostly because of Troy was getting married at the time and such so it caused some scheduling conflicts to where they needed a replacement.

Meia

Almost all of us have been there, we know that feel bro. :p

It's remarkable for anyone even unfamiliar with customs or the like just how much the game makes you feel like a resident of the town. That the characters are mostly fully fleshed out and often remind you of people you've known in life helps too.

The anime doesn't have more content than the game, it's just told in a slightly different way sometimes. Some of this isn't for the better though. I'd probably recommend catching the new persona 4 anime coming up based off of Golden that's starting in July, which I'm hoping will be better. It's not that the P4 Animation was bad perse, but it could have been done a lot better.

But yeah, the voice of Adachi is also the voice of the main character himself too, which is funny when the MC stops being a silent protagonist in the anime and fighting game.

BTW, the fighting game's story does pick off where Persona 4 leaves off(it's casually mentioned by Yosuke in the epilogue about the craziness of Golden Week), so that can be a way for you to get more with the same cast. If you haven't played Persona 3 though, it's recommended to do that before you play Arena. This way, you'll be fully caught up for the sequel to the fighting game that's coming to us probably in September!

Also in terms of the anime, Troy Baker(Kanji's game VA) could only be in half the anime, and they got a different VA for Naoto as well, so yeah...

Canon

Banned
In English yes, Japanese no. There both voiced by Johnny Young Bosch in English, the only real difference is that Adachi has bit more raspier voice to him. As for Kanji well he done by a different person for the latter half of the anime Matthew Mercer, who was Walter in SMT IV. While Troy Baker did Kanji for the first half, the reason why is mostly because of Troy was getting married at the time and such so it caused some scheduling conflicts to where they needed a replacement.
And Naoto sounds terrible in the anime... that sucks.

It's actually hilarious that the hero has Adachi's voice, though. I don't mind.

Meia

Naoto's VA was the Major from Ghost in the Shell, who also is Kashiwagi's VA, funnily enough. :p

Naoto's VA was the Major from Ghost in the Shell, who also is Kashiwagi's VA, funnily enough. :p

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is a good actress, it was just that she was a miscast for Naoto in the anime.
My problem with her performance was that it sounded a bit too deep in my opinion, and her performance sounded stiff.

Meia

I honestly think Mary is better in that role than the original actress.

I don't think she has any subtlety at all in the role, which ruins it, but eh.

Funnily enough I thought the Naoto VA in vanilla and golden was perfect because of how her voice was able to change in certain situations, which is something the anime never did(which is bad because we KNOW she has range, so I blame the VA direction here), but then I used her in battle for the first time and oof, some of those lines. :p

Dantis

I think Naoto's VA is hit and miss. Some lines she delivers are great, others not so much.

EDIT: Some of the requests from a few weeks ago. Someone wanted me to do Shadow FeMC right? Or did I just imagine that? Whatever.

I agree with everyone, the movie was indeed brilliant. Only thing that makes me sad is knowing that the wait for the second one's gonna be just as long, if not longer than the first.
Kinda curious about how they are gonna do the beach scene, since Makoto is so indifferent to everything. Would be funny if they pulled a couple of "out of character" moments, just like his comment to the guy with the piercing ahaha!

Menome

Heh, would have played into my (incorrect) theory near the end of Persona 4:

That with Yu and Adachi both having the TV-entry power, that Adachi was actually Yu's Shadow and had come into the real world similar to how Teddie did. Yu plays detective, Adaci is a detective. They both have the same Persona. Yu attracts dozens of close friendships, whilst Adachi drives people away trying to force them into 'wanting' him. They just seemed too much like mirror-images of each other.

Trigger

I didn't realize the movie was out. I guess I'll have to watch it to keep up with the discussion. The first third or so of P3's story is my least favorite part though.

I think Naoto's VA is hit and miss. Some lines she delivers are great, others not so much.

EDIT: Some of the requests from a few weeks ago. Someone wanted me to do Shadow FeMC right? Or did I just imagine that? Whatever.

Shadow FeMC is pretty cool!

I hope people are getting used to Marie.
Ugh, I like Marie but this would be terrible.

I expect Margaret to take over for him. She already did in P4A, so I expect in P5 Margaret will be in Igor's job and she will have an assistant of her own.
That would be better but I still prefer if they used Igor with another voiceactor. Even though she still not dead they've done it for Doraemon in the new series (and that's a huge thing), so I don't know why they couldn't get another talented voice actor. I don't think it's disrespectful and I suppose that the voice actor that died wouldn't want that a character he voiced dies only because of him.

I really like shadow FeMC in this one.

Heh, would have played into my (incorrect) theory near the end of Persona 4:

That with Yu and Adachi both having the TV-entry power, that Adachi was actually Yu's Shadow and had come into the real world similar to how Teddie did. Yu plays detective, Adaci is a detective. They both have the same Persona. Yu attracts dozens of close friendships, whilst Adachi drives people away trying to force them into 'wanting' him. They just seemed too much like mirror-images of each other.

You know, if I hadnt played the game fully, I would be inclined to believe that theory.
Obviously the comparisons are what they were wanting people to notice between the two, I just think the casting of JYB in both roles was a contraint thing rather than a design choice.

Also, you think that they'll follow the same casting coincidences as P3>P4 in P4>P5?
P3 and P4 spoilers follow, click at own risk.

P3 MC and bringer of death (human form) voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, becomes Best friend character in P4.

P4 MC and bringer of death (human form) voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, could he voice the best friend character in P5?

Karen Strassman voices lovable character who survives near death experience in P3 and P4, potentially again in P5?

I know its conspiracy bull but its not out of the realms of possibility.

Meia

You know, if I hadnt played the game fully, I would be inclined to believe that theory.
Obviously the comparisons are what they were wanting people to notice between the two, I just think the casting of JYB in both roles was a contraint thing rather than a design choice.

Also, you think that they'll follow the same casting coincidences as P3>P4 in P4>P5?
P3 and P4 spoilers follow, click at own risk.

P3 MC and bringer of death (human form) voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, becomes Best friend character in P4.

P4 MC and bringer of death (human form) voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, could he voice the best friend character in P5?

Karen Strassman voices lovable character who survives near death experience in P3 and P4, potentially again in P5?

I know its conspiracy bull but its not out of the realms of possibility.

It'll be interesting to hear if anyone returns, but I dunno. You could have the MC of one play someone else in a new one only because their silent protagonists. I'm good at picking out VAs usually, but couldn't tell Yosuke was Makoto until I was told. Considering how much media there is now of P4 where Yu isn't silent, I don't think we'll get anymore with him, especially as you say he already voiced a different character in 4 too.

Of course, I highly doubt we'll have the casts of 3 and 4 interact with the cast of 5, but you never know. If it's in the cards, I doubt they want anymore carry over with VAs.

They do. If you choose P3MC, Yu speaks and vice-versa.

This could be a major problem considering Makoto and Yosuke share the same English voice actor. Maybe Yuri could do his deep-ish Sasuke voice for Makoto and do the typical annoying teenager voice for Yosuke.

The few times P3MC speaks (in battle persona calls) he sounds more kiddish than Yosuke.

Necrovex

I plan to watch the Persona 3 movie sometime this weekend, possibly Sunday. I am hyped, even if the best character (FEMC) isn't in it.

That second one is so good

Damn that's such a creepy look on her face

Adachi's reaaaaaaaaal good on this one. More sociopathic than wretched.

Mdesilva

PersonaGAF, which SMT (including Persona) games have you all played?

For myself, it's only P3/4, and I'm almost done with SMT4. I also just started Innocent Sin and acquired Nocturne, DDS, and Soul Hackers.

LX_Theo

Banned

That was me and my borderline existence here, lol. So, thanks. Very nice and what I was thinking. Certainly got the correct creepy factor on her.

For myself, it's only P3/4, and I'm almost done with SMT4. I also just started Innocent Sin and acquired Nocturne, DDS, and Soul Hackers.
In order, I played P3P, P2:IS, P4G, P4A, Soul Hackers, SMTIV, Nocturne, DDS1.

If it's not too late, I would be interested.

Soriku

Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, DDS1, DDS2, Nocturne, Devil Survivor 1, Devil Survivor 2, Raidou 2, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, SMT IV

PK Gaming

These are really awesome, especially Adachi's.

P4 spoilers

You captured his likeness perfectly. There isn't enough art of him "evil" I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom