• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

You're also forgetting The Answer, which wouldn't work without the MC being Male. (Spoilers)
Though I suppose it would work if you switched some the roles? I also haven't seen how Aigis' reacts with the female MC, but I feel like the romantic aspect of their relationship would be lost.

Aigis treats her the same from what I've heard.

CorvoSol

You're also forgetting The Answer, which wouldn't work without the MC being Male. (Spoilers)
Though I suppose it would work if you switched some the roles? I also haven't seen how Aigis' reacts with the female MC, but I feel like the romantic aspect of their relationship would be lost.

Aigis treats Minako exactly the same as Makoto. The only difference between the two social links is that with Minako Aigis also regrets not being a man.

Acid08

Banned
Though I suppose it would work if you switched some of the roles? I also haven't seen how Aigis' reacts with the female MC, but I feel like the romantic aspect of their relationship would be lost.
You make it with the robot lady in both.

Sophia

You people are silly, so silly.

Also the problem with The Answer and the Female MC is
Yukari, not Aigis. Aigis would react the same, but you'd have to rewrite Yukari's plotline a little bit.

Also Green Mamba, Fuuka's Shadow is awesome and you're awesome... >.>

You make it with the robot lady in both.

I guess neck jewels don't care about gender.

Yukari, not Aigis. Aigis would react the same, but you'd have to rewrite Yukari's plotline a little bit.

That was more my point but I worded it poorly heh. I can't imagine the "tournament" happening because of a different person.

Thanks! Was wondering if it got lost there.

Regarding The Answer--I think we would have gotten a variant for the female main character had they had room to include it in Portable, so it's interesting to speculate how it would have been different.

Squire

Banned
Well, I sure don't use the c-word in polite conversation for one. Dantis wasn't insulting anyone, he was making an observation. So yeah. You need to chill.

I'm chill and this was worked out. The conversation didn't even involve you, but you're bent on pushing it. You don't even have the facts straight. Feel free to PM me, but I'm not going to continue this here.

Sophia

Thanks! Was wondering if it got lost there.

Regarding The Answer--I think we would have gotten a variant for the female main character had they had room to include it in Portable, so it's interesting to speculate how it would have been different.

I'm actually curious as to how they would have handled that, especially because they removed all the animated cutscenes and The Answer has a ton of them related to the male protagonist. Even if we don't take into consideration space on the UMD, I can't imagine them making new animated scenes for the female protagonist.

Linkark07

Banned

What about...

Akihiko wanting to bring her back?

Sophia

What about...

Akihiko wanting to bring her back?

Goes completely against his character in every way possible, and thus doesn't make sense. If he wasn't gonna bring Shinjiro back who died over nothing but stupidity, you think he's going to bring back someone who died to save the world?

Linkark07

Banned
Goes completely against his character in every way possible, and thus doesn't make sense. If he wasn't gonna bring Shinjiro back who died over nothing but stupidity, you think he's going to bring back someone who died to save the world?

Loves make you do stupid things, but yeah, if he didn't want to bring Shinjiro back I doubt he would change his mind if FeMC was the main character. Ken wouldn't either...
Now this makes me wonder. Even if Shinjiro survived, he would still die later, right?

NichM

Banned

A theoretical fix I think would be cool would be to
have Yukari act more or less the same, but because she lost her only real friend. Mitsuru and Yukari patch things up, but they're not exactly BFFs by the end of the Journey, whereas she's been hanging out with the female MC all year. Then in the new ending, you have Yukari making the connection with Aigis that she used to have with the female MC.

kewlmyc

Loves make you do stupid things, but yeah, if he didn't want to bring Shinjiro back I doubt he would change his mind if FeMC was the main character. Ken wouldn't either...
Now this makes me wonder. Even if Shinjiro survived, he would still die later, right?
Probably, due to the drugs.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Probably, due to the drugs.

Yup, which is why you can completely write Ken out of the story and still have him die. Whether by the drugs or Strega gets him because he owes them money for the drugs or whatever other reason, because they're dongs.

Sophia

have Yukari act more or less the same, but because she lost her only real friend. Mitsuru and Yukari patch things up, but they're not exactly BFFs by the end of the Journey, whereas she's been hanging out with the female MC all year. Then in the new ending, you have Yukari making the connection with Aigis that she used to have with the female MC.

About the only outcome they could take without significantly rewriting stuff, yeah....

The more I think about it, the more of a crazy undertaking it'd be to make The Answer work for the Female Protagonist tho.
You'd have to either animate all new scenes, or redo a ton of scenes in the ingame engine. Aigis's awakening, the Shadow version of the protagonist, and virtually all of the ending because the scene takes place in a room where the protagonist is a GIANT FRICKING STATUE.

That would work, but
I feel like it would end up looking romantic in the end. Being willing to end the world (though I know she decides against it if she wins the "tournament) to save your best friend feels like it crosses the line from friendship to something more. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's just how I see it.

PK Gaming

Shadow Fuuka:
tumblr_n61suewHp11tt73w0o1_1280.png

Fantastic shadow, bravo.

And congrats on the 1000 followers, you totally deserve it.

I watched the subbed version, the original voice acting is great, but it would be awesome if they got the original game's VAs to do the dub. On that note, for Persona Q, I also hope that the whole VA cast is there. Does anyone know if both P3 and P4 MCs talk at all?

kewlmyc

I watched the subbed version, the original voice acting is great, but it would be awesome if they got the original game's VAs to do the dub. On that note, for Persona Q, I also hope that the whole VA cast is there. Does anyone know if both P3 and P4 MCs talk at all?

They do. If you choose P3MC, Yu speaks and vice-versa.

This could be a major problem considering Makoto and Yosuke share the same English voice actor. Maybe Yuri could do his deep-ish Sasuke voice for Makoto and do the typical annoying teenager voice for Yosuke.

They do. If you choose P3MC, Yu speaks and vice-versa.

This could be a major problem considering Makoto and Yosuke share the same English voice actor. Maybe Yuri could do his deep-ish Sasuke voice for Makoto and do the typical annoying teenager voice for Yosuke.

I have been trying to read as little as possible about the game because my hype levels are over 9000 already, and what you just said is just fueling it aha! So last question, since the team members are swappable, is the MC that you picked swappable as well? I'll definitely be playing as Makoto, it'd be a shame if I couldn't hear him speak /:

CorvoSol

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Finished the
Aquarius Temple
and I have nothing positive to say about it. Don't really have much negative to comment, either. It was just dull.

kewlmyc

I have been trying to read as little as possible about the game because my hype levels are over 9000 already, and what you just said is just fueling it aha! So last question, since the team members are swappable, is the MC that you picked swappable as well? I'll definitely be playing as Makoto, it'd be a shame if I couldn't hear him speak /:

Whoever you have as the main character stays as the main character. You'll have to play the game again using the other MC in order to hear him speak.

CorvoSol

Persona 2

Hey it's Tatsuya's Shadow! That means Tatsuya's problems and Tatsuya's character development, rig-JUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUN

GOD. FUCKING. DAMN.

You know what the problem is? Jun is like that girlfriend a character gets that the game forces onto him with no chemistry, explanation, or build up. I really, really am not buying this Jun character, and especially not his deep, romantic relationship with Tatsuya, because where Lisa has made her affection overt and it shows at numerous times during her interactions with Tatsuya, and where Maya and Tatsuya have had one or two really solid, romantic moments along the way, Jun is a so-called love interest at best and it pisses me off. This shit doesn't have the chemistry or bromance of any other two guy pairing in the series. It's just "DID YOU KNOW JUN IS GAY FOR YOU TATSUYA? CUZ HE IS." and "DO YOU REALLY LOVE JUN, TATSUYA? IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T YOU LOSE OUT ON A CONTACT WITH DEMONS. SO FESS THE FUCK UP."

I mean, Jun is already a boring character who didn't have a Shadow Self Showdown but instead got made fun of by 3 Nazis for his horrible 1997 Square Head Syndrome, and I haven't felt much for him since his character has been foisted upon me and the "oh how happy we are to see you, Jun!" has fallen flat every fucking step of the way, but Holy Christ can this attention whore step off for three fucking seconds so I can face my own fucking Shadow? Fucking Krile of Persona 2 right here.

And I think, really, this all undercuts one of the problems I have with Persona 2: there is no sense of build up to anything. Tatsuya's Shadow flings this whole "doing what you're told because it is the easy way out!" in his face, and I'm like "When have I ever indicated this at any point in the last 20+ hours?" And Lisa's Shadow is all "DRUGS AND DUDES CUZ YOU A SLUT" but that never comes up prior to that point. I still don't know what the fuck Maya's Shadow had to do with Maya herself. The only Shadow in the game who has had sufficient lead in has been Yukino's, and she left 3 seconds after showing up.

As much as it pains me to say it, too much time is spent on the flashy and zany in this game when it should have been spent developing these traits in these characters for the Shadow's to point them out. And it isn't a matter of "Well Shadow Self confrontations in P2 are different from in P4 and you're a fucking moron who decided long ago to hate on this game at every turn, Corvo," because the shadow self confrontations are clearly meant to be big deals since they're waiting for you at the end of dungeons and the concept of confronting your Shadow Self has been given sufficient build up in dialogue along the way. It's just that the confrontations themselves are lacking. Clearly we can't do like P1, and spend an entire game tearing apart a single character and analyzing her to build up to her showdown with her Shadow Self for control of her consciousness, but we can do better than we currently are in this game. It's sort of off-putting that more time is spent explaining the meaning of flowers to the player than to really building up anybody's character.

Ironically, while the game's battles are as frustratingly frequent as ever and peppered with OHKO moves to make a man want to shut down this crap and never, ever play it again and pretend that Persona went straight from 1 to 3, the battles HAVE become more engaging at this point, requiring me to do more than just leave it on autopilot. Rather, 1/17 fights has become engaging now. The other 16 are just mobs of KKK members and Shy Guy Cosplayers, all of whom die in a single turn.

The music remains thoroughly bland, except when I'm visiting Satomi Tadashi to buy another bazillion Balms of Life to make up for the every fucking fight where half my party is killed by ridiculous Nazi sharp shooting.

One more Crystal Magic Skull Dungeon till I'm able to move on to Xibalba, which I assume is the end of the game and cannot come swiftly enough. Unsure if I can push myself to play Eternal Punishment after Innocent Sin, or if I'm going to need a nice, long break from the awful gameplay and below-series-standard story telling before jumping back in. As it is, though, I would be lying to you if I said I was really having fun with this game at this point.

not gonna bother talking about this with you because I have done so before, but I disagree with you on so many things there SOOOOO hard. SOOOOOOOO hard. :p

Meia

Persona 2

Hey it's Tatsuya's Shadow! That means Tatsuya's problems and Tatsuya's character development, rig-JUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUNJUN

GOD. FUCKING. DAMN.

You know what the problem is? Jun is like that girlfriend a character gets that the game forces onto him with no chemistry, explanation, or build up. I really, really am not buying this Jun character, and especially not his deep, romantic relationship with Tatsuya, because where Lisa has made her affection overt and it shows at numerous times during her interactions with Tatsuya, and where Maya and Tatsuya have had one or two really solid, romantic moments along the way, Jun is a so-called love interest at best and it pisses me off. This shit doesn't have the chemistry or bromance of any other two guy pairing in the series. It's just "DID YOU KNOW JUN IS GAY FOR YOU TATSUYA? CUZ HE IS." and "DO YOU REALLY LOVE JUN, TATSUYA? IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T YOU LOSE OUT ON A CONTACT WITH DEMONS. SO FESS THE FUCK UP."

I mean, Jun is already a boring character who didn't have a Shadow Self Showdown but instead got made fun of by 3 Nazis for his horrible 1997 Square Head Syndrome, and I haven't felt much for him since his character has been foisted upon me and the "oh how happy we are to see you, Jun!" has fallen flat every fucking step of the way, but Holy Christ can this attention whore step off for three fucking seconds so I can face my own fucking Shadow? Fucking Krile of Persona 2 right here.

And I think, really, this all undercuts one of the problems I have with Persona 2: there is no sense of build up to anything. Tatsuya's Shadow flings this whole "doing what you're told because it is the easy way out!" in his face, and I'm like "When have I ever indicated this at any point in the last 20+ hours?" And Lisa's Shadow is all "DRUGS AND DUDES CUZ YOU A SLUT" but that never comes up prior to that point. I still don't know what the fuck Maya's Shadow had to do with Maya herself. The only Shadow in the game who has had sufficient lead in has been Yukino's, and she left 3 seconds after showing up.

As much as it pains me to say it, too much time is spent on the flashy and zany in this game when it should have been spent developing these traits in these characters for the Shadow's to point them out. And it isn't a matter of "Well Shadow Self confrontations in P2 are different from in P4 and you're a fucking moron who decided long ago to hate on this game at every turn, Corvo," because the shadow self confrontations are clearly meant to be big deals since they're waiting for you at the end of dungeons and the concept of confronting your Shadow Self has been given sufficient build up in dialogue along the way. It's just that the confrontations themselves are lacking. Clearly we can't do like P1, and spend an entire game tearing apart a single character and analyzing her to build up to her showdown with her Shadow Self for control of her consciousness, but we can do better than we currently are in this game. It's sort of off-putting that more time is spent explaining the meaning of flowers to the player than to really building up anybody's character.

Ironically, while the game's battles are as frustratingly frequent as ever and peppered with OHKO moves to make a man want to shut down this crap and never, ever play it again and pretend that Persona went straight from 1 to 3, the battles HAVE become more engaging at this point, requiring me to do more than just leave it on autopilot. Rather, 1/17 fights has become engaging now. The other 16 are just mobs of KKK members and Shy Guy Cosplayers, all of whom die in a single turn.

The music remains thoroughly bland, except when I'm visiting Satomi Tadashi to buy another bazillion Balms of Life to make up for the every fucking fight where half my party is killed by ridiculous Nazi sharp shooting.

One more Crystal Magic Skull Dungeon till I'm able to move on to Xibalba, which I assume is the end of the game and cannot come swiftly enough. Unsure if I can push myself to play Eternal Punishment after Innocent Sin, or if I'm going to need a nice, long break from the awful gameplay and below-series-standard story telling before jumping back in. As it is, though, I would be lying to you if I said I was really having fun with this game at this point.

...did you like totally miss the whole idea of the lighter and who it actually belongs to? You actually listed this as a complaint at one point that he always flicks it out no matter what's happening around him, and yet you failed to draw any kind of conclusion to that possibly being linked to that dungeon outcome? :p

So, I just saw P3 The Movie, and it was really good, I understand that they had to cut some stuff but I didn't really mind just cause they, in my opinion, made a really good job with the characters, especially with Makoto, because his personality is just what you'd expect of a person with such past, I'll cover this as a potential spoiler (though I'm not sure it is), a clear message in this movie was (at least until the end)
Makoto. Doesn't. Give. A. Fuck.

Squire

Banned
So, P3M is out and people are loving it. We wanna do a commentary track over it for an episode of S. Link FM. I wish I'd had the idea sooner because I know a lot of you have already scene it, but really, commentaries are better with prior knowledge and context of the given film anyway. That's how they're usually recorded, after all.

So, who would be interested in doing that?

So, P3M is out and people are loving it. We wanna do a commentary track over it for an episode of S. Link FM. I wish I'd had the idea sooner because I know a lot of you have already scene it, but really, commentaries are better with prior knowledge and context of the given film anyway. That's how they're usually recorded, after all.

I would say you guys should do it on all the Persona animes, but that would require viewing of Trinity Soul, the masterpiece of megaten animation. Maybe also DeSu2 and other things.

ME! I have so much to say about the way they handled Junpei's character in this movie. It's been made better in so many ways that it's not even funny.

Guess Who

Banned

Oy, I'd be down.

Levito

Banned
You know, I've been listening to the Arena soundtrack in my car for about a week now and I hadn't really realized how "eh" Chie's theme is till now.

Oy, I'd be down.

We're still doing the Brosuke 'cast tomorrow at 1pm, we gotta figure out a time for after.

Squire

Banned
I would say you guys should do it on all the Persona animes, but that would require viewing of Trinity Soul, the masterpiece of megaten animation. Maybe also DeSu2 and other things.

Too big of a commitment for all involved and the King in The North is already overworked. This'll be fun though. And since there'll be five films, ideally we'll be doing this five times.

ME! I have so much to say about the way they handled Junpei's character in this movie. It's been made better in so many ways that it's not even funny.

I saw you and PK watched it. I always like to hear from you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom