• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So PersonaGAF, I got a hypothetical for you. Would you rather...

1. PQ, P4U, PDAN all cancelled, but P5 gets released today.

or

2. PQ, P4U, PDAN released as normal, but P5 is delayed til Holiday 2015.

From a personal point of view, I would go with option 2. I'm interested in the other three games being released and they'll make Atlus more money than if solely P5 were released. There really isn't a downside to hypothetically waiting longer for P5 if I'll be busy playing the other games. Even in a world where P5 got delayed past that date, I wouldn't mind since my game backlog is still embarrassingly long.

Acid08

Banned
> Thinks DR dub is fine
> Finds VLR dub questionable
> Meme arrows

Not like this Acid
I'm only like four hours into the game but it hasn't been super good so far outside of the rabbit.

Doesn't help that they animate the mouths moving and it looks fucking horrible. Fuckin' Muppet mouths.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I mean look at Persona 3.

The person who voiced Fuuka? Seriously amazing. Mona Marshall's as Ken? Revolutionary.

And casting every NPC ever as Karen Strassmen? Just plain genius.

tumblr_mfwmi1ab0M1qj5jqso1_400.gif

> Thinks DR dub is fine
> Finds VLR dub questionable
> Meme arrows

Not like this Acid
>"Meme arrows"

Smed pls, shit's called green text :p
Y'all mothafuckas acting like you didn't like P3's dub. Pls
I liked P3's dub for the most part. Fuuka sounded more robotic than Aigis at times, and Ken's voice was hit and miss imo, but those aside I really liked it. Fuuka getting recast in Arena was good stuff though.

PK Gaming

Y'all mothafuckas acting like you didn't like P3's dub. Pls

It was good, but you can tell it was dubbed in that period of time when dubs were decent-but-not-there-yet. The english voice directors have improved tremendously since then and i'm looking forward to their P5 dub.

Outside of Bryce as Makoto, nobody in DR was particularly egregious. And there were some standout voices, like Celeste and Toko. I've got my fingers crossed for DR2, but I already know Bryce is going to fuck up Nagito Komaeda.

Dantis

I thought Junpei and Yukari were really well acted, at least. Mitsuru was pretty bad. Akihiko was good.

Koromaru was spot on.

Squire

Banned
Damn you really want this, huh? This is like the 8th time you've mentioned it.

I'm sure I've mentioned it more times then that, but I mean, yeah? There's no definitive version of P3. Neither FES nor Portable is the optimal experience. Every version of the game currently available is missing something and not some throwaway DLC. It just seems like an inevitability given the movies. Especially if there's five of them. Atlus is in this for the long haul.

Levito

Banned
Things have certainly got a lot better than P3, that's for sure.

DR dub has a few good performances, but so many of the cast are either grading or sound totally unenthused. As I've said already, Kyoko's VO sounds so lethargic and uninterested in the material.

I'm sure I've mentioned it more times then that, but I mean, yeah? There's no definitive version of P3. Neither FES nor Portable is the optimal experience. Every version of the game currently available is missing something and not some throwaway DLC. It just seems like an inevitability given the movies. Especially if there's five of them. Atlus is in this for the long haul.

It's not inevitable though, it's just a hope.

Squire

Banned

DR dub has a few good performances, but so many of the cast are either grading or sound totally unenthused. As I've said already, Kyoko's VO sounds so lethargic and uninterested in the material.

Disagree with this whole post.

Wait, no, Persona's acting has gotten better. Disagree with the rest.

PK Gaming

Actually, Erica Harlacher is a huge, huge fan of DanganRonpa. She played through and beat the entire game, and has frequently gushed about it on Twitter.

I'm not trying to discredit your criticism or anything like that; I just wanted to address the bolded statement. Incidentally, I was checking out the twitter accounts for the VAs for the 2nd game (don't do this btw) and they also seem to be huge fans of their characters, haha.

I thought Junpei and Yukari were really well acted, at least. Mitsuru was pretty bad. Akihiko was good.

Koromaru was spot on.

Ehh, Koromaru's woofs were strong, but his arf's were lacking. So-so acting.

FluxWaveZ

You can disagree with everything except the P3 vita game. That's just a hope, not an inevitability.

Indeed.

PQ's coming out in a week, so I wonder if the weekly updates are coming to a close. Most of the website seems to have been filled out by now, with the following remaining: Theodore, Elizabeth, Margaret and Marie character pages; four "School" videos; all of the characters' second trailers. Maybe Atlus USA will do the same kind of weekly update deal with the NA website, but I'd doubt it.

Excited for P4AU's update tomorrow. Good chance that it'll reveal whether or not there'll be any additional characters.

Nothing Atlus has done in the last few years has been inevitable except for maybe P5.

Just to this point, there were a ton of signs pointing to P4AU and it would have been easy to predict if the art book had been translated earlier, but it's true that, even there, it was difficult to predict because of the assumption that ASW and Atlus were too busy with their own things.

Levito

Banned
I'm not trying to discredit your criticism or anything like that; I just wanted to address the bolded statement. Incidentally, I was checking out the twitter accounts for the VAs for the 2nd game (don't do this btw) and they also seem to be huge fans of their characters, haha.

That's just how her performance comes across to me.

I'm not a dub hater FYI, far from it. You know I don't like Vic Mignogna, but I would never call him a bad actor. He's really fucking good in nearly every role.

Squire

Banned
You can disagree with everything except the P3 vita game. As it's a fact that it's just a hope, not an inevitability.

I think it's an inevitability, didn't state it as a fact, and never have. It's right there in my post:

"It just seems like an inevitability."

Edit: Yeah, you guys need to read my posts on this topic better. I've taken care in my wording here and always do. "I think" "basically" "seems like". Not once have I factually stated it is an inevitably. Just making that clear.

Rhapsody

Banned
I really wish the localized version of PQ was a lot closer to the JPN release date.

My friends are importing it so I'm left waiting.

Dantis

So for some reason, my second human Aigis picture has become popular on Tumblr again. It's so weird how one person can share it and then that kicks it all off. I think I'm going to draw another picture of human Aigis soon. People really seem to like it.

Holy shit, PQ is coming out week?

Are we going to have a 0 tolerance policy on spoilers/images/etc?

This is a valid point.

Here is my proposal:

Persona Q spoilers, please read:

General screenshots are fine. Music is fine UNDER THE CONDITION that the title is not linked to a plot point. I have that plugin where you can see video titles on GAF, and I don't want to come on here one day and see a video called "Zen kills Yosuke" or whatever.

I suggest that major plot points are NOT ALLOWED under any circumstance, marked or otherwise. If you want to discuss it, go elsewhere.

As far as videos are concerned, I'd say that it's okay to post gameplay, but again, not plot points.

Levito

Banned
I think it's an inevitability, didn't state it as a fact, and never have. It's right there in my post:

"It just seems like an inevitability."

Edit: Yeah, you guys need to read my posts on this topic better. I've taken care in my wording here and always do. "I think" "basically" "seems like". Not once have I factually stated it is an inevitably. Just making that clear.

You said you disagreed with my post, which stated P3 Vita is just a hope and is in no wait an inevitability.

That's all it is, a hope. To be fair, I hope it happens to.

Lunar15

So for some reason, my second human Aigis picture has become popular on Tumblr again. It's so weird how one person can share it and then that kicks it all off. I think I'm going to draw another picture of human Aigis soon. People really seem to like it.

This is a valid point.

Here is my proposal:

General screenshots are fine. Music is fine UNDER THE CONDITION that the title is not linked to a plot point. I have that plugin where you can see video titles on GAF, and I don't want to come on here one day and see a video called "Zen kills Yosuke" or whatever.

I suggest that major plot points are NOT ALLOWED under any circumstance, marked or otherwise. If you want to discuss it, go elsewhere.

As far as videos are concerned, I'd say that it's okay to post gameplay, but again, not plot points.

Yeah, basically this. Just standard rules for any recently released game. Just be sure to label anything that externally linked, and spoiler anything concerning the plot, number of dungeons, etc.

It was good, but you can tell it was dubbed in that period of time when dubs were decent-but-not-there-yet. The english voice directors have improved tremendously since then and i'm looking forward to their P5 dub.

Outside of Bryce as Makoto, nobody in DR was particularly egregious. And there were some standout voices, like Celeste and Toko. I've got my fingers crossed for DR2, but I already know Bryce is going to fuck up Nagito Komaeda.
DR dub is mostly good in my opinion, with the exception Maizono, who was just blegh in my opinion and Byakua, though he got a whole lot better as the game went on.
As for DR2 well I'm going to reserve judgement on that until I play the game myself. I did listen to that trailer and I actually think it sounds fine, with Gundham being my favorite.
That's just how her performance comes across to me.
I'm not a dub hater FYI, far from it. You know I don't like Vic Mignogna, but I would never call him a bad actor. He's really fucking good in nearly every role.

Vic I do like, can't think of anyone who could play either Edward Elric

or Tamaki besides him and make that funny as he does.
And yeah, he da man at voicing Junpei.

This is a valid point.

Here is my proposal:

I agree with this completely. It may not be P5, but I still don't want the other games' plots spoiled for me. I've managed to get through P3/P4/P4A without having them ruined, so let's keep the streak alive! :D

hao chi

So PersonaGAF, I got a hypothetical for you. Would you rather...

1. PQ, P4U, PDAN all cancelled, but P5 gets released today.

or

2. PQ, P4U, PDAN released as normal, but P5 is delayed til Holiday 2015.

Ultimax is the game I want most at the moment, so easy choice for me.

How about we just cancel DAN and Ultimax gets released today?

Dantis

Yeah, basically this. Just standard rules for any recently released game. Just be sure to label anything that externally linked, and spoiler anything concerning the plot, number of dungeons, etc.

Just to be clear, I'm saying that we shouldn't be posting spoilers at all in this thread. After DanganRonpa, I think it's best if spoilers are just discussed elsewhere until a short time after the US release.

Lunar15

Just to be clear, I'm saying that we shouldn't be posting spoilers at all in this thread. After DanganRonpa, I think it's best if spoilers are just discussed elsewhere until a short time after the US release.

But where else can it be discussed? We won't have an OT until the week before the US launch, which is probably in September.

It's a fairly different situation than DR, which was already out in the US and most people in here had played it, so they just naturally mentioned stuff and people were spoiled. With this, none of us will have played it, except for those who imported.

PK Gaming

This is a valid point.

Here is my proposal:

You should edit this into the OP.

Dantis

But where else can it be discussed? We won't have an OT until the week before the US launch, which is probably in September.

Make a Persona Q spoiler/plot discussion thread in the gaming side?

EDIT:
It's a fairly different situation than DR, which was already out in the US and most people in here had played it, so they just naturally mentioned stuff and people were spoiled. With this, none of us will have played it, except for those who imported.

This does not make it any better, it just means there's more people to get spoiled....

Levito

Banned
Maybe people should only post content from Persona Q if it's media from Atlus PR. Or if they prove they have physical imported copy of the game like what GAF did to the people that pirated Watch_dogs. :p

Really though, no one should be posting unmarked spoilers in this thread.

Acid08

Banned

I always figured that the kind of aloof coldness of her voice fit with her character really well. She isn't really emotional about anything for 95% of the game.

Got to say, for anyone thinking of posting spoilers, tagged or otherwise, spare a moment to think of the Europeans.

We wont get the game for a WHILE it seems, especially since there has been 0 news about any EU release for ANY of the games announced in November.

Hopefully they wont lock P4U2, P4D or P5 so the importing wont be too bad, but the 3DS perma-region lock means that we have to import the actual console as well.

I'm actually tempted to buy an import 3DS but I need a reason other than just PQ and SMT4.

Got to say, for anyone thinking of posting spoilers, tagged or otherwise, spare a moment to think of the Europeans.

We wont get the game for a WHILE it seems, especially since there has been 0 news about any EU release for ANY of the games announced in November.

Hopefully they wont lock P4U2, P4D or P5 so the importing wont be too bad, but the 3DS perma-region lock means that we have to import the actual console as well.

I'm actually tempted to buy an import 3DS but I need a reason other than just PQ and SMT4.

im with you on the 3ds dilemma.

Squire

Banned
You said you disagreed with my post, which stated P3 Vita is just a hope and is in no wait an inevitability.

That's all it is, a hope. To be fair, I hope it happens to.

Sure, I'm not gonna phrase it that way, but I got your point. I hope it happens too. I want P5 and I don't want them to pull people off that or anything, but they do all this side stuff with other teams and skeleton crews from P-Studio, anyway so I wouldn't worry.

Edit:

Erin said she'd just come back on the podcast.

Going to work out a time, since it's a returning guest we should get a couple new faces in that might want a word. If you're interested send me a PM.

Didn't see this. Nice going Levito/Keats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom