• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So PersonaGAF, I got a hypothetical for you. Would you rather...

1. PQ, P4U, PDAN all cancelled, but P5 gets released today.

or

2. PQ, P4U, PDAN released as normal, but P5 is delayed til Holiday 2015.

Dantis

Siliconera, what do I have to do to get you to stop plagiarizing my work. You're not even trying.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Eurgh. It's really soured me on Siliconera, to be honest. I find it very bad form.

or

Number 1, by a country mile.

Oh yeah, they are really amzing. I learned about them during my work on the scribblenaut games. I can't stop using them now.

I used to hate clipping masks when I was in uni, now I use at least one in almost everything.

or

2 for sure. Without there being anything for P5 I don't actually care for the game. Though the second a trailer is released my view would probably switch right over.

Also dancing and sexiness.

or

Number 2 all the way. The more Persona games, the better.

Then again its hard for me to get hyped over P5 when we haven't seen anything at all, other then "you are slave" :)

kewlmyc

or

1 easily. I'll play all of them, but the only one I'm even really looking forward to that's not a mainline game is P4AU.

kewlmyc

Really? That's interesting.

I'm not into rhythm games and I'm not into EO games, so if it wasn't for them having Persona characters in them, I wouldn't be giving them the time of day normally.

With P4AU, I like ASW fighters already, plus it's the sequel to a story I really enjoyed 2 years ago.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Eurgh. It's really soured me on Siliconera, to be honest. I find it very bad form.

I've talked to them about it before when they did it to a piece that involved original research and they had the gall to tell me that the timing was entirely a coincidence and that they had been holding onto the article in an attempt to maximize viewership or some crock of shit like that. I know they lied because my piece also involved ripping obtusely formatted old videos from a Japanese website that took a lot of finessing in my video software to make play nice with YouTube and the versions they uploaded to their own channels resemble my final result to a T. Much like their "article" on today's arrests, they covered their tracks so poorly, but they just don't care because they're one of the de facto outlets for Japanese coverage.

I know I'm not the only writer they do this to based on what my editor at Gematsu has told me. They have nothing to gain from this if their plagiarism hurts our bottom line enough to force us to look for work elsewhere because then, oh no, then they might have to do original journalism for once! I think the only time they've cited my work at least is that Hashino interview from Persona Magazine and most likely only because they couldn't directly track down an original copy of the Japanese interview and do their lazy summary of it instead.

I just. Ugh. I don't plan on quitting this work because of assholes like them but they sure are great at making it harder to keep things together than necessary when they pull stuff like this.

Jintor

I've talked to them about it before when they did it to a piece that involved original research and they had the gall to tell me that the timing was entirely a coincidence and that they had been holding onto the article in an attempt to maximize viewership or some crock of shit like that. I know they lied because my piece also involved ripping obtusely formatted old videos from a Japanese website that took a lot of finessing in my video software to make play nice with YouTube and the versions they uploaded to their own channels resemble my final result to a T. Much like their "article" on today's arrests, they covered their tracks so poorly, but they just don't care because they're one of the de facto outlets for Japanese coverage.

I know I'm not the only writer they do this to based on what my editor at Gematsu has told me. They have nothing to gain from this if their plagiarism hurts our bottom line enough to force us to look for work elsewhere because then, oh no, then they might have to do original journalism for once! I think the only time they've cited my work at least is that Hashino interview from Persona Magazine and most likely only because they couldn't directly track down an original copy of the Japanese interview and do their lazy summary of it instead.

I just. Ugh. I don't plan on quitting this work because of assholes like them but they sure are great at making it harder to keep things together than necessary when they pull stuff like this.

If you gather up some evidence and make a thread over in Gaming, it might kick up a bit of a fuss.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
If you gather up some evidence and make a thread over in Gaming, it might kick up a bit of a fuss.

I'd love to, but I'm still a junior for another 30 posts or so, I believe. The Tumblr post I linked to does have screenshotted evidence of the offending portions and I've been maintaining records of other instances when I can, though, so if they pull this again sometime in the near future once I'm past that hurdle, I'll probably speak up there, too.

or

Ouch, good question. I'd have to go with the second one. Two of these are being released really close from now (Summer, Fall) and PDAN is getting released in early 2015, all of these already shown, and confirmed, while for P5 all we've seen is a bunch of chairs ahaha!
Speaking of which, isn't P5 a fall release in Japan, or am I getting it wrong? I'm sure that they want to get all of the other Persona titles out of the way, but not even one character or setting has been confirmed yet. Atlus, show us the goods damnit!!

Jintor

I'd love to, but I'm still a junior for another 30 posts or so, I believe. The Tumblr post I linked to does have screenshotted evidence of the offending portions and I've been maintaining records of other instances when I can, though, so if they pull this again sometime in the near future once I'm past that hurdle, I'll probably speak up there, too.

If you have/can obtain evidence re: other writers as well that would strengthen your case.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
If you have/can obtain evidence re: other writers as well that would strengthen your case.

True true. I'll bug my editor for some contact information when we're less busy, probably later in the week since we're still in the throes of Famitsu and Dengeki goodies. I never even thought about doing a GAF thread on it, but you and Dantis are persuading me that it'll be worth the effort in the end.

Thanks for your support. I like to think I don't get riled up easily, but I've caught them doing this enough times that's it's a nuisance so much as it is a real concern when it comes to my paycheck. I always planned to do a more elaborate show and tell of this stuff in due time, but it's nice to hear it might have some reception here whenever I find the time to do it. :)

Jintor

Fuck 'em with a rusty pitchfork if they can't even be bothered to source.

It's sub-basic journalism even a vanity blogger can and should pick up.

Am I misinterpreting this or are you saying you did some of the art on Scribblenauts?

Yep, I worked in Super, Unlimited and Unmasked :) Also I got the work thanks to GAF!
Unmasked was amazing to work in, and I learned a lot of DC (obscure awesome characters) thanks to it.

That gives me an idea, maybe I try to make the P4 and 3 cast as scribblenauts characters.... when I finsih the Seinfeld parody lol

I used to hate clipping masks when I was in uni, now I use at least one in almost everything.

I hated layers just as I started with photoshop lots of years ago and came from Paint. Why was all so complicated :mad: Now I can't live without them.

Siliconera, what do I have to do to get you to stop plagiarizing my work. You're not even trying.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I remember last time this happened. :( It's shitty of them and as a result of last time I've stopped using them for news completely (when I used to be pretty dependent on them). I enjoy your translations and if it does get to a point where you make a thread about it, I'll definitely support it!

Dantis

Yep, I worked in Super, Unlimited and Unmasked :) Also I got the work thanks to GAF!
Unmasked was amazing to work in, and learn a lot of DC thanks to it.

That gives me an idea, maybe I try to make the P4 and 3 cast as scribblenauts characters.... when I finsih the Seinfeld parody lol

DUDE! That's amazing!

Have you ever posted any of your art in here? I'd be really interested to see it (Apologies if there's been some and I've forgotten!).

I hated layers just as I started with photoshop lots of years ago and came from Paint. Why was all so complicated :mad: Now I can't live without them.

Yep, mind, I just hate change. I still use CS2 for most of my work regardless of the new features in the later editions.

Also, nice stuff working on Scribblenauts, are you currently working in the same industry now?

Have you ever posted any of your art in here? I'd be really interested to see it (Apologies if there's been some and I've forgotten!).

wasn't the danganronpa and scooby doo pieces by SP Ridley?

DUDE! That's amazing!

You mean scribblenaut type art? Posted some in Gaf, but not in this thread. Ive been posting some of the persona art ive started to make now in this thread (starting with the scooby doo parody, that was what made me enter in this awesome Persona community), but Im pretty sure you saw those ones already becuase you commented about them.

Now im working on the Seinfeld parody, that's taking me a huge amount of time, becuause everytime I try to add something new. I think I have all the characters done (8 characters total and 6 of them have facial expressions), but making the scenes is going to take up big time.

Yep, mind, I just hate change. I still use CS2 for most of my work regardless of the new features in the later editions.

Also, nice stuff working on Scribblenauts, are you currently working in the same industry now?

wasn't the danganronpa and scooby doo pieces by SP Ridley?

After that I worked creating a studio with some friends and that didn't work out too well after 2 years, now Im with a much smaller group (3 people counting me) and want to make smaller indie arcade type games for a start, although we need a programmer becuase the 3 of us are artists (im trying learning gamemaker, but have problems with the more complicated things right now) Still I hope that goes better.
And yep, those ones were done by me, started drawing a lot again since the failure of the first studio.

Jintor

tumblr_mvdnolM6EH1rxaca7o1_500.png

Dantis

You mean scribblenaut type art? Posted some in Gaf, but not in this thread. Ive been posting some of the persona art ive started to make now in this thread (starting with the scooby doo parody, that was what made me enter in this awesome Persona community), but Im pretty sure you saw those ones already becuase you commented about them.

Now im working on the Seinfeld parody, that's taking me a huge amount of time, becuause everytime I try to add something new. I think I have all the characters done (8 characters total and 6 of them have facial expressions), but making the scenes is going to take up big time.

Aaaah yeah, I remember! Sorry, I forget who posts what, haha.

Woah is this official art?! This looks amazing.

The picture Jintor posted? That's from the manga, by the looks of things. Looks very Sogabe.

Yes I was going to say, Makoto and Aigis specially fit into his style of drawing. I've just never seen this art before though, that's why I asked :O After all, PersonaGAF seems to have a bunch of talented folks around

Dantis

Yes I was going to say, Makoto and Aigis specially fit into his style of drawing. I've just never seen this art before though, that's why I asked :O After all, PersonaGAF seems to have a bunch of talented folks around

He's a good artist. He's gotten a lot better as he's gone on too.

As an aside, I really like how many people in here upload art. It's nice. I always wonder if that's just something that's come about in our thread, or if it happens in all community threads.

Soriku

or

1 easily. Holiday 2015 for P5 would kill me. Out of the three other Persona games I only want to play Persona Q, but I'll gladly sacrifice it to not have P5 release Holiday 2015. Hell even if the option for #2 you gave was to have P5 release early 2015, I think I would still sacrifice Persona Q.

And yeah we don't know much about P5, and seen even less of it, but you know when the first major trailer is released that shit is gonna be hype. I think Persona Q looks good, but it's not going to beat a vastly different story with a different cast and setting, and another Persona soundtrack in a different style by Meguro from the more typical P3/P4 stuff we have in the other games.

As an aside, I really like how many people in here upload art. It's nice. I always wonder if that's just something that's come about in our thread, or if it happens in all community threads.
I don't draw as much as I'd like two, my last two pieces, a MGSV and BladeRunner drawing were done 2-3 months ago. With the amount of school work that I get, plus life, it's hard for me to sit down and sketch something worthwhile.

PK Gaming

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Seriously disgusting.

I'm looking forward to the day where you get to expose their plagiarizing asses.
Unmasked was amazing to work in, and I learned a lot of DC (obscure awesome characters) thanks to it.

That's just amazing.

I'm telling you guys, PersonaGAF has the most talented members ever.

( ̄ー ̄)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Your damage output is just super low, and it has to be because you're not buffing/debuffing like I suggested.

Say a move does 50 damage. If the person is Tarukaja'd, it'll do 75 damage. If the target is Rakunda'd, it'll do 100 damage. If you've played Persona games on normal, you could safely ignore this type of thing, but as you can see on hard you really don't want to.

Though honesty, someone like Kanji is more of a physical fighter, so not sure why he's hitting for that low either. I mean, I have almost the same problem when I used Chie, which is why I had the MC be the main fighter, while Chie was the item user/buffer and whoever wasn't healing did damage.

I guess I'll GO GET THE BUFFS and try again. But I feel buffs aren't going to impact the fight. It seems like my damage output just isn't "quick/high" enough to beat his regen. Buffs I kinda doubt are gonna make a huge dent in that "time to kill" problem.

I think I'm probably gonna have to over level a bit which is kinda what I'm attempting to avoid for Hardcore Risette Fan but I don't want frustration at the "wall" bosses if this is gonna be the issue.

Hey pepsiman, that sucks what siliconera is doing. Im sure a thread in the gaming section will force them to listen.

I think you'll hit 300 posts easily by the end of the day. Continue to post on anything being discussed.

Flarin

or

1 for sure. Don't care for Arena and could give or take the other 2. I don't even care if I don't know anything about it. In fact, not knowing anything might be a positive. Going in 100% blind to a follow up to my favorite game of all time (Persona 4) sounds amazing.

Sophia

or

#2. No information on Persona 5 so far so it's hard to be hyped for it, we get four games instead of one, and Persona Q is literally an oldschool RPG fan's dream game. >_>;

Selecting #1 would make a person selfish. Cancelling three games for a game you don't know anything about? C'moooon.

kewlmyc

You're right I'm super talented
Kappa

Real talk, you're good at fightan gaems, kinda.

#2. No information on Persona 5 so far so it's hard to be hyped for it, we get four games instead of one, and Persona Q is literally an oldschool RPG fan's dream game. >_>;

Selecting #1 would make a person selfish. Cancelling three games for a game you don't know anything about? C'moooon.

I guess I'm selfish then...

Sophia

I guess I'm selfish then...

You gotta admit, no matter how hyped you are for Persona 5, cancelling three games is just an awful, selfish, and all around horrible idea. Especially Persona Q, which is highly anticipated in Japan, as the Famitsu most wanted shows. On the other hand, selecting the second option means we get everything, eventually. The only drawback is we have to wait longer.

kewlmyc

You gotta admit, no matter how hyped you are for Persona 5, cancelling three games is just an awful, selfish, and all around horrible idea. Especially Persona Q, which is highly anticipated in Japan, as the Famitsu most wanted shows. On the other hand, selecting the second option means we get everything, eventually. The only drawback is we have to wait longer.

True, very true.

What me and others that picked #1 were probably thinking was that we've been waiting for P5 for years, and I can't think of anyone this time last year that was thinking, "boy, I sure would like a Persona rhythm game or a Persona game made by the EO guys." So sacrificing 3 games most people didn't know they wanted until a year ago (P4AU being an exception) for a game that we've been waiting for for years isn't completely unbelievable. And people can easily get hyped for a game that doesn't have any trailers or information. Just look at the gaming side every time there's an announcement of an announcement. Or Half-Life 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom