• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Despite us knowing nothing substantial about Persona 5, I'm still infinitely more interested in it.

New characters/stories is just more appealing to me.

Dantis

Despite us knowing nothing substantial about Persona 5, I'm still infinitely more interested in it.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus the gameplay of Persona 5 appeals to me much more than a dungeon crawler, a fighter or a rhythm game.

You gotta admit, no matter how hyped you are for Persona 5, cancelling three games is just an awful, selfish, and all around horrible idea. Especially Persona Q, which is highly anticipated in Japan, as the Famitsu most wanted shows. On the other hand, selecting the second option means we get everything, eventually. The only drawback is we have to wait longer.

I'm okay with cancelling the other three if I get Persona 5 now. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Sophia

True, very true.

What me and others that picked #1 were probably thinking was that we've been waiting for P5 for years, and I can't think of anyone this time last year that was thinking, "boy, I sure would like a Persona rhythm game or a Persona game made by the EO guys." So sacrificing 3 games most people didn't know they wanted until a year ago (P4AU being an exception) for a game that we've been waiting for for years isn't completely unbelievable. And people can easily get hyped for a game that doesn't have any trailers or information. Just look at the gaming side every time there's an announcement of an announcement. Or Half-Life 3.

Essentially, the choice boils down to an appeal to emotion (Choice #1) or an appeal to logic (Choice #2), the former of which is a logical fallacy. It doesn't make any sense, from a logical standpoint, to ever pick choice #1. What we knew last year at this time is irrelevant to the choice as presented now.

I just can't get hyped for something I know nothing about. I can dream up all the scenarios I want in my head, and the teaser makes me excited knowing that stylistically it'll be like Persona 2 meets Catherine. But hyping it up in my head will just lead to disappointment down the line. I'd rather focus on what is actually coming, especially with both Persona Q and Ultimax on the verge of release.

Yeah, pretty much. Plus the gameplay of Persona 5 appeals to me much more than a dungeon crawler, a fighter or a rhythm game.

I'm okay with cancelling the other three if I get Persona 5 now. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

That doesn't surprise me that you would pick the hurtful, selfish, and illogical option. Luckily, it's just a hypothetical question. Also please do describe the actual gameplay to me, because I'm genuinely curious as to what you know about it. Seeing as no gameplay information has been released yet. :p

Siliconera, what do I have to do to get you to stop plagiarizing my work. You're not even trying.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well, shit. Didn't really dwell on it as I skim through articles, but I was increasingly wondering why Siliconera felt like a lesser Gematsu.

Siliconera, you've got one less reader.

-

Out of curiosity, I wonder if they're a banned site. I'll just try linking it...

At least VGC makes up their own shit. Really do think you should go through with a thread like everyone else says you should as we as a community shouldn't have to put up with this.

So PersonaGAF, I got a hypothetical for you. Would you rather...

1. PQ, P4U, PDAN all cancelled, but P5 gets released today.

or

2. PQ, P4U, PDAN released as normal, but P5 is delayed til Holiday 2015.

The option that gives me more Marie.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, Persona 5 delayed into holiday 2015 would pretty much mean a worldwide release, which I would prefer more than the delayed one we have now.

The Persona series branching out and becoming bigger than its mainline titles is exciting, and appeals to people who aren't just fans of Persona in the process. In turn, this leads some people to be interested in the mainline games, which causes the series to grow in popularity. I am for anything that causes the series to grow bigger and stronger in terms of recognition, and I don't see how option 1 in that hypothetical would achieve that, so I am against it.

Dantis

That doesn't surprise me that you would pick the hurtful, selfish, and illogical option. Luckily, it's just a hypothetical question. Also please do describe the actual gameplay to me, because I'm genuinely curious as to what you know about it. Seeing as no gameplay information has been released yet. :p

Surely it's only illogical if you care about the other games enough, though? Are you telling me that there are no games that are coming out that you could choose to cancel in order to get Persona 5 to come out tomorrow?

Sophia

Surely it's only illogical if you care about the other games enough, though? Are you telling me that there are no games that are coming out that you could choose to cancel in order to get Persona 5 to come out tomorrow?

Unless we're talking like shovelware games that nobody would realistically want to play, then no, there are no such games. I'm not selfish enough to cancel a game just to get another one quicker, especially when I can just wait and get both of them and then everyone wins. Plus, I play and enjoy almost everything, and even if I didn't, someone else would enjoy those games.

Heh, Persona 5 delayed into holiday 2015 would pretty much mean a worldwide release, which I would prefer more than the delayed one we have now.

The Persona series branching out and becoming bigger than its mainline titles is exciting, and appeals to people who aren't just fans of Persona in the process. In turn, this leads some people to be interested in the mainline games, which causes the series to grow in popularity. I am for anything that causes the series to grow bigger and stronger in terms of recognition, and I don't see how option 1 in that hypothetical would achieve that, so I am against it.

This is another angle I didn't fully consider too. Which either says how logical you are, Flux, or how I believed in my argument enough that I didn't need to consider this angle. Or probably both really. >_>;

Dantis

Unless we're talking like shovelware games that nobody would realistically want to play, then no, there are no such games. I'm not selfish enough to cancel a game just to get another one quicker, especially when I can just wait and get both of them and then everyone wins. Plus, I play and enjoy almost everything, and even if I didn't, someone else would enjoy those games.

Ha! I guess you're just a better person than me then.

I'd cancel most games for a chance to play Persona 5 tomorrow.

I'd cancel them for free!

Just kidding.

Sort of.

Ha! Brutal.

Sophia

Ha! I guess you're just a better person than me then.

I'd cancel most games for a chance to play Persona 5 tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me all about the gameplay of Persona 5 that you apparently know about and we don't. :p

(It'd be kind of amusing and possibly ironic if you actually had the option of picking choice #1 and ended up not liking the game....)

So PersonaGAF, I got a hypothetical for you. Would you rather...

1. PQ, P4U, PDAN all cancelled, but P5 gets released today.

or

2. PQ, P4U, PDAN released as normal, but P5 is delayed til Holiday 2015.

I'm going to be honest here.

P5 >>>>>>>> all of those spin offs.

Don't care for some EO game, some rhythm game or fighting game in comparison to my care for PERSONA 5

kewlmyc

Damn.... dat venom.

I'm selfish I guess, but at least I'm not alone. I'm looking forward to P4AU at least.

Squire

Banned
Silly hypotheticals are kinda the worst, but to answer the question: I want it all.

Siliconera is the worst. They've long been taken with themselves to a detrimental degree.

I still remember when they interviewed one of the English voice actors for FFXIII. They interviewed her and then in a blurb at the end of the interview (not part of the interview, just talking to the reader), they basically pulled her opinion apart and said she played a shitty character, anyway. Still sticks in my mind as unnecessarily vicious.

Edit: Sophia MK II: More Ether

Dantis

You wouldn't get to make your Dancing All Night OT then :'(

'STRUTH!

I'm going to draw the bestest banner ever for it, Smedwicks, don't you worry.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me all about the gameplay of Persona 5 that you apparently know about and we don't. :p

(It'd be kind of amusing and possibly ironic if you actually had the option of picking choice #1 and ended up not liking the game....)

It would be both pretty funny and pretty typical. :p

Soriku

On topic, I'd choose option 2.

I'm not an impatient motherfucker.

Neither am I. I've been patiently waiting for a lot of games, and I'm patiently waiting for P5 (and have been for years now), but given the choice I don't want to wait another 1.5 years for the game.

Never has a hypothetical question made me feel like a piece of shit...

The whole day has been ruined.

At least you have some interest in P4AU.....if someone gave me those options I would snatch P5 and would not look back at the other games. My patience/anticipation is at its limit.

Sophia

Never has a hypothetical question made me feel like a piece of shit...

The whole day has been ruined.

Sorry, didn't mean to kill the mood or anything. Just trying to make people realize the nature of the hypothetical question as presented. Hypothetical questions can be interesting if examined closely and the options weighed. >_>;

Acid08

Banned
Cancel P4D? Fucking fight me

dY99TTK.gif

Levito

Banned
Not really. I am more excited for Persona 5 out of all of the upcoming Persona games.

When you boil it down, that's all it really becomes. Eg "are you willing to kill off three projects just to get P5 sooner?"

Either way, wish they'd at least show the game soonish.

Menome

Sorry, didn't mean to kill the mood or anything. Just trying to make people realize the nature of the hypothetical question as presented. Hypothetical questions can be interesting if examined closely and the options weighed. >_>;

Problem is, the question wasn't: "What would you choose that was best for everyone else?" it was "What would you choose for yourself?". The question is being considered in a vacuum of sorts, where the choice and outcome is personal to the one being asked.

In that vacuum, I'd go straight for Persona 5 as I'm very unlikely to play the upcoming spin-offs.

In the real-world (and especially as a European) I'll go with the delay as we're likely not to get a localised release until then anyway. :p

PK Gaming

The question was basically just "what do you want more?"

Not really surprising, we still know nothing about P5.

Seriously.

You'd think there'd be a tiny bit of footage shown at this point, but we've gotten absolutely jack since the original announcement...

At this rate, we'll be seeing what P5 looks like shortly before it's release date... Sigh.

Levito

Banned
Seriously.

You'd think there'd be a tiny bit of footage shown at this point, but we've gotten absolutely jack since the original announcement...

At this rate, we'll be seeing what P5 looks like shortly before it's release date... Sigh.

Still stand by the idea that they don't want P5 hype to overshadow the other games they're releasing.

Honestly though if it's not shown by fall then it'll probably delayed.

DR2 is a game. P5 is a logo.

Spike Chunsoft: 1
Atlus: 0

DR2 has also been out for years. :p

Sophia

Seriously.

Yeah.... I do kind of wish they'd show anything. Doesn't even have to be gameplay footage or something. More concept art or teasers would do. The silence on the game is downright aggravating.

kewlmyc

I was joking
mostly
. :)

Option 2

To be honest, I was more excited for DanganRonpa 2 than Persona 5.

I'm not surprised in the slightest with you, even though I've already read all of it.

At least I can generally have faith in the voice actors/actresses that Atlus picks :p

Bryce Paperbrook confirmed for everyone in P5.

Acid08

Banned
The later they show off P5 the better, because as soon as it's revealed I'm out of here.
Yup! I know we have rules regarding P5 stuff but, considering the problems we still have with spoiler tags, I'm not expecting the random people jumping in here to abide by them :p

PK Gaming

At least I can generally have faith in the voice actors/actresses that Atlus picks :p

Yeah, I mean look at Persona 3.

The person who voiced Fuuka? Seriously amazing. Mona Marshall's as Ken? Revolutionary.

And casting every NPC ever as Karen Strassmen? Just plain genius.

Levito

Banned
Yeah, I mean look at Persona 3.

The person who voiced Fuuka? Seriously amazing. Mona Marshall's as Ken? Revolutionary.

And casting every NPC ever as Karen Strassmen? Just plain genius.

Still leagues better than DR's dub.

MY NAME IS KEY O KO ENGAGE ROBOTIC ACTING MODE.

kewlmyc

Still didn't think the DR dub was that bad. Couple of characters I prefer in English (Celeste, Hiro) which is more than I can say about most dubs.

I will probably eat crow with the DR2 dub though. *shudders*

But yeah, with P5, who do they have left that hasn't been in both P3 or P4 in terms of dub VAs. Bryce hasn't been in either, so I'm guessing he'll be in P5, ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom