• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

...What? Since when?!? Teddie is arguably the most versatile party member in the game after the protagonist. He is the undisputed best source for buffs after the protagonist. He is the second best healer in the game and his good magic stat makes him a good backup attacker.

The argument that he's made redundant by Yukiko is completely absurd. The 2 characters work very well together; not only does Teddie resist her weakness, and his access to healing takes the pressure off Yukiko (IE, you run into situations where healing is needed and Yukiko's has already been used) but he is capable of focusing on his buffs due to Yukiko's access to healing. Teddie is a very solid character.

Seks, just run with Yosuke, Kanji and Teddie. Mind Charge / Agidyne spam with protag, Yosuke is on support (items, backup offense, etc), Kanji should spam Fatal End (I don't know why you were using Zionga, Kanji is a physical attacker) and heal with Teddie when needed. Grinding won't get you any stronger; you need to overcome Mitsuo with strategy.

PS: Don't bother with Yukiko now. She learns Mediarama at level 43, so it's simply out of your reach for now. Have her catch up in the next dungeon. You definitely fucked up when you dropped her for Kanji. Kanji/Chie is a redundant combination, you should have focused on one of them.

I think my usual party for that fight is Yukiko / Teddie / Yosuke. The fight is one of preservation mainly, and having the Protagonist, Yukiko, and Teddie all overlap in both damage dealing and healing makes it easy to save SP.

PK Gaming

For me, it comes down to this:

Teddie Pros:
Buffs

Yukiko Pros
Best healer
Best damage output of any party member

You're looking at it completely wrong.

Yukiko and Teddie don't compete for a team slot. They compliment each other and ultimately end up work very well on the same team (and they help form the ever solid Yukiko/Teddie/Kanji triumvirate of balance)

Yukiko is the best character in Golden. Early access to Amrita + Solid Healing/Offense and high magic makes her an absolute powerhouse. But her being a great character does not invalid Teddie. Teddie is still appealing due to his awesome buffs + healing + solid ice skills (Chie's Ice skills are awful). He actually competes with Yosuke, due to their shared weaknesses and sameish hybrid role.

Incidentally, Kanji is by far and away the strongest party member on the team, not Yukiko.

EDIT:

@Seks: Teddie gets Matarukaja at level 42. Make sure you learn it before challenging the boss again.

Caladrius

For me, it comes down to this:

Teddie Pros:
Buffs

Yukiko Pros
Best healer
Best damage output of any party member

Kanji, Chie, Yosuke and Rise have buffs too, so I don't see Teddie's use.

Teddie provides full buff coverage and gives you additional freedom to include party members without compromising the ability to distribute and maintain buffs, in addition to providing an additional layer of healing, and amrita in case your other party members are afflicted with status buffs. And of course he has the strongest ice-attacks among your party members.

There isn't really a redundant party member in a game that rewards partially overlapping skillsets anyway.

You're looking at it completely wrong.

Yukiko and Teddie don't compete for a team slot. They compliment each other and ultimately end up work very well on the same team (and they help form the ever solid Yukiko/Teddie/Kanji triumvirate of balance)

Yukiko is the best character in Golden. Early access to Amrita + Solid Healing/Offense and high magic makes her an absolute powerhouse. But her being a great character does not invalid Teddie. Teddie is still appealing due to his awesome buffs + healing + solid ice skills (Chie's Ice skills are awful). He actually competes with Yosuke, due to their shared weaknesses and sameish hybrid role.

I edited my main post from what you quoted, that addresses some of your points, btw

Incidentally, Kanji is by far and away the strongest party member on the team, not Yukiko.

You sure about that? Burning Petals + Fire Amp + Fire Vow + Mind Charge does quite a lot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chie gets pretty great late game with Power Charge + God's Hand, but she's way less essential.

I meant her characterization. Don't like her, just like I don't like Lisa. :/

...Did you make Seta his first name?

It's his cannon name.

What's this "Yu?" That's not cannon. Next time have a cannon name before you do a name your protagonist, Atlus.

I'll be honest, I've never been one to use buffs/debuffs very often in SMT. Same for items (though that's a JRPG trope that has made it's way to SMT). Hard Golden has actually gotten me to break one of those, but outside of
Teddie
's fight, I haven't really had to buff too strongly for the
main fights

It's his cannon name.

NO

jLK76ST.jpg

It's his cannon name.

What's this "Yu?" That's not cannon. Next time have a cannon name before you do a name your protagonist, Atlus.

Did Atlus made some announcement regarding this "canon name" issue? Since Yu Narukami appears in the anime and in Persona 4 Arena, I thought it was the "canon name".

PK Gaming

I edited my main post from what you quoted, that addresses some of your points, btw

I'll have to challenge your logic here. First off:

----

Kanji: Gains access to Matarukaja at level 60. He shouldn't be wasting time using buffs anyway, due to the obscenely powerful Primal Force/Power Charge combo.
Verdict: Teddie is better suited to buffing.

Chie: Tarukaja is fucking terrible in the face of Ma- buff skills and Revolution is inconsistent.
Verdict: Doesn't compete with Teddie.

Yosuke: Only learns Sukukaja skills.
Verdict: Doesn't compete with Teddie.

Rise: Is this a joke...? Her buffs are inconsistent.
Verdict: lol

Protagonist: Consistently gains debilitate at level 73 at the earliest. It's a debuff skill and it does not compete with Teddie's buff skills. In fact, they stack together.
Verdict: The protagonist can do anything, but the less he can rely on his party members to fulfill niches, the better.

IMO, the best party will have one of each
Healer (Yukiko / Teddie)
Physical (Chie for random / Kanji for bosses)
Utility (Naoto for random / Yosuke for bosses)

That's a horribly limited way of team building. Any team more or less works, depending on the situation. Just avoid placing Kanji / Chie on the same team. Teddie works well as a boss killer due to his buffs, and he's useful for mobs due to his healing and strong ice skills. His biggest flaw is that he doesn't work well with Yosuke

You sure about that? Burning Petals + Fire Amp + Fire Vow + Mind Charge does quite a lot.

That's a combination that is only available in the last 10% of the game. But i'll humor you:

---

Severe Petal's base damage = 400 (We don't know for sure but i'm assuming it's around Ragnarok's base power)

Primal Force's base damage = 2200

Severe Petals: 400 x 2.5 x 1.25 x 1.5 x 1.1 = 2062.5

Primal Force: 2200 x 2.5 = 5500 (Incidentally, this is why Kanji is overpowered in golden)

She's still weaker than Kanji by a fairly significant margin.

Your problem is that you're too fixated on endgame setups. Think of Teddie's performance throughout the entire game. He's solid from beginning to end, and he is very useful during the Shadow Mitsuo boss (arguably the toughest boss in the game).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FEAR TWO PARTY MEMBERS.

(Cure)

FEAR FOUR MEMBERS

(Feared Feared Feared, Can't cure it)

DEATH IS A HUNTER...
----
FFFFF. I think I'm gonna have to grind.

FEAR TWO PARTY MEMBERS.

(Cure)

FEAR FOUR MEMBERS

(Feared Feared Feared, Can't cure it)

DEATH IS A HUNTER...

Here's a video of me beating him. I think the video cuts out some of the middle but it could help. It looks like I was level 40.

The battle starts at 1:35:55 but the link should take you directly there:

Good luck!
----
FFFFF. I think I'm gonna have to grind.[/QUOTE]

LX_Theo

Banned
It's his cannon name.

I'll be honest, I've never been one to use buffs/debuffs very often in SMT. Same for items (though that's a JRPG trope that has made it's way to SMT). Hard Golden has actually gotten me to break one of those, but outside of
Teddie
's fight, I haven't really had to buff too strongly for the
main fights

Canon

This whole thing Minato, Makoto, Souji, Yu... bugs me. Everytime I search protagonist's art on internet I have to make two searches. Four actually if I also search in Japanese.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think I named him Yuki Toyota one time

because I suck with names.

and I'm preeeeety sure I used "Yuby Subaru" for FemMC.

Yuby is a staple of mine. I use it for all my female characters.

It was a great series, but I always thought it started really dark and became really depressing. Jeri :'(

That's why it's so good! It had stakes. More importantly the tertiary cast wasn't an afterthought (rare as hell in a show like this).

Shit was deep, chumling.

Squire

Banned
That's why it's so good! It had stakes. More importantly the tertiary cast wasn't an afterthought (rare as hell in a show like this).

Shit was deep, chumling.

I definitely thought Digimon was a cut above even as a kid. Adventure 02 might be the television highlight of my childhood. Yes, even past DBZ. Tamers is a standout, too. I have a hunch that one holds up the the best.

cjkeats

Am I one of the few that name the MCs with my own name when doing playthroughs?

I do. Unless I'm a lady player then it's usually Kirino. Or CJ, cause initials are unisex. Pamela Anderson's character in Baywatch was named CJ. That has northing to do with anything, I just always found it funny.

I've begun a new series of HD wallpapers modeled on the ASW arcade site for Ultra Suplex Hold. I'm in the process of making them for all of the announced characters (Normal and Shadow Types), and I'm also planning to adjust the wallpapers for use as banners on the "new and improved" Twitter user pages.

Here's what I have so far!

Yu Narukami

Yosuke Hanamura

Chie Satonaka

Yukiko Amagi

Mitsuru Kirijo

Aigis

These take a little while to make - particularly the Twitter banners - so except to see them coming out in batches over the next several days. Enjoy! :D

Great work, TheTrueSelf!

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention: Lelouch's Adachi looked pretty cool.
You can totally see his psycho side.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Charlie Tunoku.

Charlie Tunoku>>>>>>>Yu Narucommie

Excuse me that's not how you spell Charlie Tunoku

You people are all good people. I knew Hot Coldman was a fellow Giant Bomber, but it warms my heart to see others in here outside the GB thread on Gaming side. I call pretty much every SMT protagonist Charlie when I play them in Japanese, if only because sometimes the role-playing gets even more inadvertently interesting if you tack on the gaijin persona like I am in real life. :D!

CorvoSol

But if she is cannon (lol), Makoto doesn't exist.

I don't know what kind of dumb ass ships you have sailed on, matey, but I have never seen any pirate ships that only carried a single cannon aboard. It'd take a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally narrowminded captain for that to happen.

You know I would totally (P4 endgame spoliers)
Live in the fog. You only see what you want to see, everything's great and all that.
I mean other than the groundhog day-esque part, Narumkami totally got to see his friends forever, and that's what he wanted.
Maybe even being turned into a shadow is not so bad, I mean Teddie was a shadow, Screw Reaching out to the Truth, I want to live in the fog. /s
Oh and screw Fury of Yasogami, Izanami is totally kicking my ass and don't remember that happening the first time I played. Should I switch out Naoto for Yosuke? I'm playing OG P4.

So GAF, here's a little story: Ever since I had become a fan of Persona, I've been trying to get people to watch the P4 anime, but to no succes. Luckily, I managed to get a close friend to watch both Dangan Ronpa and Persona 4 (because why not?). And he really liked both of them, so I invited him to my house and I showed him both P3 (so he could understand P4A and PQ) and P4 games. I also showed him the P4 Hiimsday comic and enjoyed it a lot because he understood the references.

Then it was kinda funny because I told him P3 appeared in P4A so he was surprised to see who made it, and after we played for awhile he said after seeing Shadow Labrys "Wouldn't it be cool if they made shadow versions of everyone playable" And then I showed him the trailer of P4AU and his reaction was awesome, (P4 spoilers)
specially since he was like "WAIT, was that Adachi?
And after that, because he only has Nintendo consoles, I showed him the PQ trailer and he was very excited to see both of the cast together, and he says he's probably gonna buy it when it launches over here. From P4 he really liked all of the characters, specially Yosuke, Narukami and Teddie. And from P3 he seemed to like Aigis and Elizabeth.

So invited him over again and tomorrow he's coming to my house. We are gonna watch the P3 movie! But I need advice: (P4 and P3 spoilers)
During his watching of P4, every time one of the fake culprits (Mitsuo, Namatame and Adachi) was caught, he always wondered why there were episodes left and I had to make excuses, but I'm pretty sure he knew there was something else anyways. And right now, he already knows who are going to appear in P4AU from the P3 side so I need some excuses if he asks why P3MC and Shinji don't appear in the game.

I don't know what kind of dumb ass ships you have sailed on, matey, but I have never seen any pirate ships that only carried a single cannon aboard. It'd take a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally narrowminded captain for that to happen.

lol, this was a good analogy. :D

I really don't have any problem in recognizing FeMC as cannon. She doesn't bother me at all. But there is a paradox if she is the Wild Card. She can only be the protagonist in a different universe as far as I know. So if both are cannon, we have two universes in Persona. Two ships with one cannon each.

LX_Theo

Banned
So GAF, here's a little story: Ever since I had become a fan of Persona, I've been trying to get people to watch the P4 anime, but to no succes. Luckily, I managed to get a close friend to watch both Dangan Ronpa and Persona 4 (because why not?). And he really liked both of them, so I invited him to my house and I showed him both P3 (so he could understand P4A and PQ) and P4 games. I also showed him the P4 Hiimsday comic and enjoyed it a lot because he understood the references.

Then it was kinda funny because I told him P3 appeared in P4A so he was surprised to see who made it, and after we played for awhile he said after seeing Shadow Labrys "Wouldn't it be cool if they made shadow versions of everyone playable" And then I showed him the trailer of P4AU and his reaction was awesome, (P4 spoilers)
specially since he was like "WAIT, was that Adachi?
And after that, because he only has Nintendo consoles, I showed him the PQ trailer and he was very excited to see both of the cast together, and he says he's probably gonna buy it when it launches over here. From P4 he really liked all of the characters, specially Yosuke, Narukami and Teddie. And from P3 he seemed to like Aigis and Elizabeth.

So invited him over again and tomorrow he's coming to my house. We are gonna watch the P3 movie! But I need advice: (P4 and P3 spoilers)
During his watching of P4, every time one of the fake culprits (Mitsuo, Namatame and Adachi) was caught, he always wondered why there were episodes left and I had to make excuses, but I'm pretty sure he knew there was something else anyways. And right now, he already knows who are going to appear in P4AU from the P3 side so I need some excuses if he asks why P3MC and Shinji don't appear in the game.
Here's an idea...
Its Persona 4 Arena, so they decided to only take side characters from Persona 3.
Or, you could say...
They probably just put in the fan favorite characters.
. This might be the best, though. Say
I don't know.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
But I need advice: (P4 and P3 spoilers)

Tell him they both went out for cigarettes one day and we're all still waiting for them to come back home one day so we can all be a happy family again. ;____;

C0Cp8Gc.gif

Squire

Banned
I've begun a new series of HD wallpapers modeled on the ASW arcade site for Ultra Suplex Hold. I'm in the process of making them for all of the announced characters (Normal and Shadow Types), and I'm also planning to adjust the wallpapers for use as banners on the "new and improved" Twitter user pages.

Here's what I have so far!

Yu Narukami

Yosuke Hanamura

Chie Satonaka

Yukiko Amagi

Mitsuru Kirijo

Aigis

These take a little while to make - particularly the Twitter banners - so except to see them coming out in batches over the next several days. Enjoy! :D

Do you have these in Vita resolution? Could be useful...

You people are all good people. I knew Hot Coldman was a fellow Giant Bomber, but it warms my heart to see others in here outside the GB thread on Gaming side. I call pretty much every SMT protagonist Charlie when I play them in Japanese, if only because sometimes the role-playing gets even more inadvertently interesting if you tack on the gaijin persona like I am in real life. :D!

*high-five* I'm also on #TeamCharlie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom