• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Persona 4 Arena has always been about the dumb titles.

The point is that they're supposed to disparage the people they're associated with as well as exaggerate their characteristics; a riff on similar titles in certain circles of wrestling, according to the P4A art book interview. The "cabbage" part of this one's, however, doesn't really do either of the two. It's fine, though.

Moonlight

Banned
tumblr_n6mic8IZAr1qzanaao1_1280.png

Source

Sophia

So, uh, what are we doing about
Adachi
? I'm seeing 50/50 here on the spoiler tagging. Kind of useless if not everyone does it.

Unless I missed something, rules haven't changed for this thread (i.e. it still stays under spoiler tags.)

I know Dantis was gonna ask the mods on what to do tho.

That's awesome ^ totally fits the P4 vibe too aha.

EDIT: Summer-fied my AVI. Probably gonna keep on switching these sprites along with the seasonal changes too aha.

Lunar15

Man, I love that picture. So amazing. Combines two things I love!

Rise is perfect, and I love how into it Yukiko is.

Also, if the E3 nametags are dancing all night, doesn't that mean it's playable at E3? Usually every game they've put in those has been playable...

Squire

Banned
It would be incredibly stupid to not show P5 at the Sony conference, but have it show up some other time during E3.

I swear you guys refuse to see personas growing popularity. What kind of niche series has a 3ds game, a vita game, and a ps3 game coming out the same year.

Todd, the series isn't that popular and it's not Atlus' conference to just do as they please. You make it sound they have a choice here when it's all the more likely they absolutely do not.

WAIT WHAT IS
ADACHI
A PLAYABLE DLC CHARACTER? #HYPE

I NEED SCANS!

Oh wow, how totally in character for Arena to give
Adachi
a title like that. Cabbage is mentioned like, what, once in Persona 4? Dumb referential titles are fine, but give me something that's actually based on the character.

You should spoiler tag his name, since everyone else has been doing that.

If we are going to be realistic, do not expect any new information about Persona 5 at E3 (other than a repeat of the WANT EMANCIPATION? trailer at the Atlus booth).

If you want to be even more realistic, do not expect June's Persona magazine to contain information on Persona 5 either - if Dancing All Night will be at E3, then the magazine will most likely be dedicated to Dancing All Night. If, on the off chance, that there *is* Persona 5 information at any of these, think of it as a lovely surprise. Otherwise, wait until TGS.

But I still want to believe. ;__;

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Regarding his title, bear in mind that a lot of the luster of the original Japanese is lost if you translate them literally. There's usually a lot of subtle word play that gets lost and doesn't make the overall intent of the dig super apparent unless you work around it and basically rewrite them from scratch with that basic intent in mind. Rise's title is a really great example; it seemingly commends her for embracing her other selves while also taking a dig at her sensuality, all within just four characters! There's a lot of nuance you have to take into consideration and it's a big reason why (I would hope) the folks at Atlus USA coming up with the official titles get paid good money because it's super hard! I won't claim to be any better; just speaking from experience doing that sort of stuff for both Arena specifically and other stuff elsewhere.

I haven't seen the Japanese title in question, but if he's the one that ends up with a trailer this week, you can bet I'll try to do what I can to give it the right sort of flavor befitting the send-up he gets in Japanese. Writing that stuff is my favorite part of those trailers, so I figure if I don't enjoy it, there's no chance in hell anybody watching my subs will. :D

FluxWaveZ

If we are going to be realistic, do not expect any new information about Persona 5 at E3 (other than a repeat of the WANT EMANCIPATION? trailer at the Atlus booth).

If you want to be even more realistic, do not expect June's Persona magazine to contain information on Persona 5 either - if Dancing All Night will be at E3, then the magazine will most likely be dedicated to Dancing All Night. If, on the off chance, that there *is* Persona 5 information at any of these, think of it as a lovely surprise. Otherwise, wait until TGS.

You're missing Famitsu issue June 19. Persona 5 would most likely be the cover for whatever magazine it would be unveiled in, and the #Spring issue cover is already known to be Persona Q, so that was out from the get-go.

Then again, if P4D is going to be at E3, then it would have been safe to think #Spring would also contain P4D, but in that case I would have also expected a P4D related cover.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

All I'm really expecting from E3 are the english dub versions of pre-existing trailers like as was the case with P4A at E3 2012. Fine with me though~

FluxWaveZ

All I'm really expecting from E3 are the english dub versions of pre-existing trailers like as was the case with P4A at E3 2012. Fine with me though~

I'd expect a bit more than that, really. First real console gameplay footage + info for P4AU, potentially including the new characters we haven't fully seen in action yet. Gameplay footage + info for PQ. Gameplay footage from Persona 4 Dancing.

Squire

Banned

I think it's pretty unrealistic to keep assuming they're not gonna show it. It has to be shown at some point and it becomes more and more likely with each passing event.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I'd expect a bit more than that, really. First real console gameplay footage + info for P4AU, potentially including the new characters we haven't fully seen in action yet. Gameplay footage + info for PQ. Gameplay footage from Persona 4 Dancing.

True, I think P4AU will definitely be playable and I hope the other titles will be as well. I just try not to get my hopes up too much when it comes to E3 XP

Sadly, I agree. I don't want to get my hopes up for E3. I expect PQ and P4AU in English at E3.

summer avatar sounds like a pretty good idea. Think I'll follow suit for a little bit if you don't mind

Not at all! I had the Makoto P3P sprites lying around in my hard drive and was bored, so I made 3 PNGs for the seasons (this one for the summer, school uniform for spring/fall, coat for winter). Just to keep things fresh throughout the year aha!

No special seasonal outfits for hipster shiba.

Only lots of shedding.

:(

Ugh, don't remind me. My allergies are already making me go nuts, and my dog here certainly isn't helping with all the shedding aha.

And about the spoiler thing, I would like to hear back on that too. Being a Junior and all still, I'm kind of scared of doing something that I shouldn't lol.

Not at all! I had the Makoto P3P sprites lying around in my hard drive and was bored, so I made 3 PNGs for the seasons (this one for the summer, school uniform for spring/fall, coat for winter). Just to keep things fresh throughout the year aha!
I actually have winter jacket Mitsuru like this as my primary avatar haha, but I like to mix it up once in a while
hina2.jpg

yukata doge?

Dogekata

I think it's pretty unrealistic to keep assuming they're not gonna show it. It has to be shown at some point and it becomes more and more likely with each passing event.

I know, but it's better to temper expectations than to get too excited. :V

I fully expect there to be a Persona 5 information blowout once Dancing All Night is running its course of advertisement - unless Atlus runs DAN and P5 at the same time like they did with PQ and Ultimax.

CorvoSol

Yo that street is straight up from Earthbound. Well, it's more city-like instead of a beachfront like Summers is. But still.
2nVk0j0.jpg

Anyway, looks good! :)

Earthbound already is a Persona game anyway. Magicant is Ness' Shadow Dungeon, Birdman is his Persona. Porkey is somehow cooler and more competent than any of those useless fucks in Strega.

Ah, gotcha. I was confusing certain aspects of that article as though it was talking about the one coming out tomorrow. Alright then. At least, that still sounds like it'll have plenty of info of note in it.

But yeah:

June 5 = Famitsu magazine (P4U2 character scoop)
June 12 = Persona Magazine #Spring
June 19 = Famitsu magazine focused on Persona (20 pages focused on P4U2, PQ and P3M#2)

Sounds good. Not to mention PQ's releasing tomorrow and P3M #2 on June 7.

Actually, I think you're confusing something about the Famitsu article. The issue goes on sale on June 5, but it will be referred to as the June 19 issue. Kind of like how monthly magazines go on sale before the stated month?

FluxWaveZ

Actually, I think you're confusing something about the Famitsu article. The issue goes on sale on June 5, but it will be referred to as the June 19 issue. Kind of like how monthly magazines go on sale before the stated month?

I don't know Japanese, so that's fully possible, but are you sure? Since Famitsu is released weekly on Thursdays and June 19 is a Thursday, why would they refer to their June 5 issue as the issue to be released in two weeks? And wouldn't we have heard a bit more in terms of leaks from the issue already if it would have 20+ pages devoted to Persona?

Squire

Banned
I don't know Japanese, so that's fully possible, but are you sure? Since Famitsu is released weekly on Thursdays and June 19 is a Thursday, why would they refer to their June 5 issue as the issue to be released in two weeks? And wouldn't we have heard a bit more in terms of leaks from the issue already if it would have 20+ pages devoted to Persona?

Yeah, Fanitsu isn't monthly, so it wouldn't be off-dated. Bi-weekly/weekly publications are dated approximately. It's a different issue.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!

Chrono is correct. Famitsu's dating conventions are weird because of how they take weeks off for stuff like Golden Week, but the Japanese does say that the June 19 issue is in fact what's coming out this week. I meant to point that out earlier, but forgot to in all the chaos of today. If somebody wants to dig up the image again, I can check for posterity, but I'm 100 percent certain that's the case.

Famitsu leaks are dicey. They're rarely ever comprehensive and just happen at the leaker's discretion, often prioritizing what they deem to be the best drivers of traffic. They don't really bother to go through gigantic specials unless the magazine is super brazen about hyping up new information.

Gematsu has a digital subscription and I'll almost certainly be assigned to look through that entire special to do a write-up, so we'll know everything there is to know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom