• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his versus art is fine. His arcade mode art, on the other hand, looks bad.

Also, looks like he uses Agi attacks.

Oh yes, his arcade portrait doesn't look good (look at his mouth!). But am I the only one who thinks his face looks like Junpei's at least in his versus portrait?

FluxWaveZ

I think his versus art is fine. His arcade mode art, on the other hand, looks bad.

I'm okay with both, but I would have thought the character would have a generally different demeanor than they actually do.

It's an interesting way to depict
the culprit after the Inaba murders. First phase was him and his goofy, bumbling, innocent persona that he portrayed. Second phase was "creepy raper guy", with the twisted expressions filled with rage and madness. Now, it's something... different. It's almost like the first phase, except replacing any hints of innocence with confidence and determination.
I like it.

So I wonder does
Adachi
get a shadow version as well in P4U2? I didn't see anything that mentions it.

There hasn't been a mention of one yet. It could go either way at this point.

For what it's worth, I'd like to throw my hat in with Dantis and say that I'd like this thread to remain spoiler-free. If it means that we have to add something to the thread title so that it's even more explicit than it has been made in the OP, then I'm all for that.

I would really like to stick around once the new Persona games start dropping, but I really don't want them spoiled at all. These games are so good and so worth playing fresh and unspoiled, and I want to make sure that happens. Ultimately, as a community we'll have to decide what we want this thread to be, and I'll go with whatever decision is made.

Meia

I'm okay with both, but I would have thought the character would have a generally different demeanor that they actually do.

It's an interesting way to depict
the culprit after the Inaba murders. First phase was him and his goofy, bumbling, innocent persona that he portrayed. Second phase was "creepy raper guy", with the twisted expressions filled with rage and madness. Now, it's something... different. It's almost like the first phase, except replacing any hints of innocence with confidence and determination.
I like it.

There hasn't been a mention of one yet. It could go either way at this point.

It's neat seeing actual progression. :D

Though seeing the IK pose, I do truly wonder what their role in the game is. I almost want to strike "redemption" off the list after seeing that.

not sure about this spoiler free or not discussion, but what ever we decide. I still think it should be put into the thread title.

e.g Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! *No Spoilers*

It's neat seeing actual progression. :D

Though seeing the IK pose, I do truly wonder what their role in the game is. I almost want to strike "redemption" off the list after seeing that.
I believe that
Adachi
could end up being the most interesting character in Ultimax regarding his motivations and such.

I hope he's just DLC and has no part of the plot whatsoever.

I really have no desire to have his story continued.

They already said that
Episode Adachi
is being added.

Unless you mean that his story is completely separated from the main story. Though we saw him in the reveal trailer so I doubt it.

Lunar15

DLC episode already confirmed.

Well that's what I get for not reading.

Oh well! I'd wish for it to be well written, but considering how P4A went, I'm not going to hold my breath.

His character is kind of irredeemable, in a story sense. He wasn't a villain who had noble goals with bad repercussions. He straight up knew what he was doing and played a sick fucking game.

Dantis

They already went for it in the original Persona 4, so... too late?

Vaguely. Am I right in thinking Golden added even more, also?

not sure about this spoiler free or not discussion, but what ever we decide. I still think it should be put into the thread title.

e.g Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! *No Spoilers*

If we went full-spoiler mode, I'd probably just have to stop coming here, at least until I'd finished P5. I love this thread, but I'm not having all Persona games spoiled as a price of entry.

I would assume that other people would feel the same way.

FluxWaveZ

I hope he's just DLC and has no part of the plot whatsoever.

I really have no desire to have his story continued.

Again... too late? The character's relevance to the P4AU plot was implied to be significant right when the game came out in arcades, given the fact they appear in the story. It was further implied by the console announcement trailer. It was further implied by the very fact that the character has their own dedicated story episode. Etc.

Not vaguely.
Final letter.

Now that I'm in the loop:
his art does look a bit odd, but it transmits the right vibe, we are dealing with an unbalanced psycho here. Guy is a psychopathic criminal so fits him.

Heh, don't know if the character has that much left to sacrifice.

Maybe, just maybe he fuses with Sho and they become
Ultimate Makato

Or something equally ridiculous.

If we went full-spoiler mode, I'd probably just have to stop coming here, at least until I'd finished P5. I love this thread, but I'm not having all Persona games spoiled as a price of entry.

I would assume that other people would feel the same way.

okay..

I was talking about adding it to the thread title. Regardless of what way we go. Mostly as a pre-warning to new visitors to not spoil in this case.

I think Atlus knows what they are doing with the story to be honest. I think all loose knots will be dealt with in P4U, and
Adachi
being there, along with the P3 crew I think is indication of that. Can't wait to see what sort of tricks they have got up their sleeve.

FluxWaveZ

That's what I was thinking of, yeah. I think that's only a vague redemption imo.

The character explicitly states that
they can't clean up after themselves—demonstrating a desire to undo what they had done before—
and that's not a sign of wanting to redeem themselves? They even straight up
try to help the protagonist in solving the remaining mystery. "But I hope it can help somehow."
I really don't see how that could be any clearer.

I more mean becoming a full on good guy type of thing.

Still don't think that would be out of place with their change of character/realization at the end of P4. Evidently, likely not a "lawful good" scenario, with how they've been depicted in P4AU until now, but still.

Lunar15

I think Atlus knows what they are doing with the story to be honest. I think all loose knots will be dealt with in P4U, and
Adachi
being there, along with the P3 crew I think is indication of that. Can't wait to see what sort of tricks they have got up their sleeve.

My only suggestion is to not get your hopes up. With a game like this, their priority is on expanding the roster, not telling a story. They add characters and then write a story around their inclusions. This isn't a problem, but you have to watch how seriously you take it.

Also, I heavily doubt the main writers for the Persona series are doing the majority of the work on these spinoff titles.

Meia

My only suggestion is to not get your hopes up. With a game like this, their priority is on expanding the roster, not telling a story. They add characters and then write a story around their inclusions. This isn't a problem, but you have to watch how seriously you take it.

Also, I heavily doubt the main writers for the Persona series are doing the majority of the work on these spinoff titles.

While true, Labrys was done very damn well, so...

Lunar15

While true, Labrys was done very damn well, so...

I don't disagree with this. But my overall point is to not get too serious about the writing here, because aside from some good beat to beat writing, I don't think the actual staff is taking the story too seriously. It is a fighting game spinoff after all.

We might call it a spin off but I thought it was already stated as cannon? I said what I said based on that, and yes, Labrys was indeed very well written.

Lunar15

We might call it a spin off but I thought it was already stated as cannon? I said what I said based on that, and yes, Labrys was indeed very well written.

They can call it canon, but that doesn't mean they took it all that seriously. Plus, canon is a great marketing point. People get more invested when you tell them it's canon, rather than saying, "oh, it's some wacky alternative universe!"

I'm not poo-pooing the game or anything, I quite liked P4A, and I'm fine with all the silly fan service. I'm just suggesting that it's important to keep expectations in check.

Lunar15

I think this is another time to point out that, while I really actually do love these spin-offs and I'm quite excited for them, I am so incredibly ready for P5, it's not even funny.

Writing fun side stories about well established characters is relatively easy. But the more you do it, the more you're separating the surface elements from the thematic heartbeat of the original story. In a well written story, characters are more than just faces you want to see. They are bound to a theme that exist to resonate with the reader and drive the emotional story to its conclusion. I just can't wait for the writing team to get serious about writing a new cast, a new theme, a new setting, etc. Comfort food is great, but I'm ready for something more challenging.

kewlmyc

So Dantis, you said that a mod told you to make a vote for if we should make this a spoiler thread or not? Couldn't you just state people to check the first post before posting and edit the first post to say that spoilers for P3 and P4 are allowed? Seems easier and idiots coming in and posting PQ P4DAN, and P5 spoilers could still get in major trouble for it.

Dantis

So Dantis, you said that a mod told you to make a vote for if we should make this a spoiler thread or not? Couldn't you just state people to check the first post before posting and edit the first post to say that spoilers for P3 and P4 are allowed? Seems easier and idiots coming in and posting PQ P4DAN, and P5 spoilers could still get in major trouble for it.

I would be fine with this.

I would be fine with this.

How would you go about it though? Put in the thread title READ OP? In which case the *no spoilers* suggestion or *use spoiler tags* would be a better approach.

I don't know about you but when a thread title says read the first post, I don't read the first post, but when it says don't post spoilers? I don't post spoilers.

Dantis

How would you go about it though? Put in the title thread READ OP?

Yeah, I suppose. We'd have to stop doing topic titles, but it feels like some people have a problem with being fully spoiler free, and others have a problem going full spoiler.

It would mean we'd have to stop the topic titles though. :p

FluxWaveZ

Cover for the June 19 issue of Famitsu:

8pp2oWN.jpg

kewlmyc

How would you go about it though? Put in the thread title READ OP? In which case the *no spoilers* suggestion or *use spoiler tags* would be a better approach.

I don't know about you but when a thread title says read the first post, I don't read the first post, but when it says don't post spoilers? I don't post spoilers.
Considering whose playable now, it's a better option than have to spoil tag one character every time we bring him up for gameplay reasons, which would spoil people anyway because it would be obvious who we're talking about.

Or just put NO SPOILERS FOR RECENT GAMES.

Considering whose playable now, it's a better option than have to spoil tag one character every time we bring him up for gameplay reasons, which would spoil people anyway because it would be obvious who we're talking about.

Or just put NO SPOILERS FOR RECENT GAMES.

Yeah, Personally if this is how it goes I would rather NO SPOILERS or something along those lines was used. That way it's clear, straight to the point and it's all down to the individual user if they don't follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom