• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Chrono is correct. Famitsu's dating conventions are weird, but the Japanese does say that the June 19 issue is in fact what's coming out this week. I meant to point that out earlier, but forgot to in all the chaos of today. If somebody wants to dig up the image again, I can check for posterity, but I'm 100 percent certain that's the case.

Famitsu leaks are dicey. They're rarely ever comprehensive and just happen at the leaker's discretion, often prioritizing what they deem to be the best drivers of traffic. They don't really bother to go through gigantic specials unless the magazine is super brazen about hyping up new information.

Gematsu has a digital subscription and I'll almost certainly be assigned to look through that entire special to do a write-up, so we'll know everything there is to know soon enough.

What kind of dating convention is that...?

Well, thanks for clearing that up. Glad to know that that's actually this Thursday's issue, so what will be within will be known sooner. Though, I'm oddly disappointed since I was slightly hoping it could finally contain some P5 stuff, but that ain't happening.

Wonder if we'll know more about P4D in it...? I kinda doubt that, too, 'cause there would have had to be something about P4D in the tease, if not for a leak. It'll most likely just be about P4U2, PQ and P3M#2, as advertised.

This is the image:
Famitsu-June-19-Tease.jpg

This is the link.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I know Famitsu isn't the only magazine to do a skewed dating convention like that because I've totally seen Western magazines do it, too, but your guess is as good as mine as to the logic. Might be a sell-by date for newsstands? Never seen a place that doesn't stock new issues as they come out, but I'm lost on other ideas.

And yeah, that link confirms it:

週刊ファミ通2014年6月19日号(6月5日発売)では、

In the June 19, 2004 issue of Weekly Famitsu (on sale June 5)...

FluxWaveZ

And yeah, that link confirms it:

Roger that. Good to know.

Man, 20 pages seems like overkill for those three. PQ will be out. What more needs to be said?

Based on the tease there:

- 4 pages dedicated to "SECRET!!" (i.e. new P4AU character)
- 10 pages dedicated to Persona Q

So that leaves at least 6 pages for other stuff, including P3M #2. There's the Megumi Ogata interview to account for, which would at least be 2 pages. It sounds doable, with big illustrations padding some pages out.

Which basically means P4D totally won't be in it.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Gotta hastily rewrite all those press releases they got from Atlus on all of those things one more time!

Seriously, it's ridiculous. Be glad you don't read Japanese. The majority of that last Persona Q special they ran like a month and a half ago was a rehash of all of the existing PR for the game that had been released, often using the exact same wording. Ten pages of content and I think I got like four slim paragraphs at most of information on my writeup. Will be genuinely surprised if I go much more beyond that this time around.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
Yeah, Minato and Yukari's relationship seemed the most natural to me even though at the beginning I felt that she was going to do a sudden 180.

Well, i think Yukari and Aigis are equally involved with P3MC. Still i think Aigis's love is far more romantic then Yukari's. The Answer showed us that both Yukari and Aigis loved MC but even Yukari herself said the Aigis suffered more then her over his loss so...

Dantis

Well, i think Yukari and Aigis are equally involved with P3MC. Still i think Aigis's love is far more romantic then Yukari's. The Answer showed us that both Yukari and Aigis loved MC but even Yukari herself said the Aigis suffered more then her over his loss so...

Disagree.
Personally, even on her S Link, I didn't think that Aigis' feelings were romantic.

that is a supremely lame title for a ton of cool ones they could have given him. Cabbage has nothing to do with the guy except a lame joke that sprang out of a single unvoiced line of dialog in P4 lol

Let's be honest, all of the titles are supremely lame. None are remotely clever or descriptive of the characters to any extent.

Calling it now. He'll be a 'good guy' in the game and turned his act around
like he said he would
. His shadow will be extremely evil though.

Ha, I said something similar in IRC,
Adachi
will be the good guy who sacrifices himself towards the end.

Oh wow, how totally in character for Arena to give
Adachi
a title like that. Cabbage is mentioned like, what, once in Persona 4? Dumb referential titles are fine, but give me something that's actually based on the character.

that is a supremely lame title for a ton of cool ones they could have given him. Cabbage has nothing to do with the guy except a lame joke that sprang out of a single unvoiced line of dialog in P4 lol

Maybe it has more relevance in Japan? I don't know the differences between the original and the localised versions well enough.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member

I prefer the Yukari pairing myself. It's not a knock against Aigis(best P3 "girl") by any means, it's just that summing them up as "being in love" kind of cheapens their relationship imo. What they have is beyond love I think, like they were destined to meet each other or something :)

I'm going to have to disagree. Agis is awesome but personally I never thought the relationship as romantic. More like two friends that will be together for the rest of their lives.

speaking of romance, with Elizabeths' new quest to bring Minato back and after the antics they had on their dates, I wonder if she is continuing this quest due to her love for him.

I also really dig Elizabeth's relationship with Makoto, seems to be similar to Aigis's what with "The Meaning of Life 101" and all. So I thought Elizabeth's story arc in Arena was awesome.

I still need to watch the P4 anime to see what the cabbage thing is all about. I bet it's as disappointingly simple as him having a scene where he buys some lol.

Also that supposed final character slot has me super intrigued. All I'm going to say is that I hope it's who I think it is, regardless of whatever asspull Atlus has to do to get said character in the game.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I'M SORRY I'VE FAILED IN MY DUTIES AS A TRANSLATOR TO CONVEY WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THOSE TITLES TO YOU, DANTIS! FORGIVE ME I DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE YOU HATE MY WORK!

;_______;

Real talk, like I mentioned before, they have a lot of charm in Japanese. Obviously my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people on 2chan or somewhere who'd agree with you, but personally they've elicited a lot of chuckles out of me and, again, a lot of it has to do with Japanese wordplay that just doesn't play well at all if you go super literal. They're clever in ways that you can only really be clever about that stuff in Japanese to a degree. Given the TV world setting of the first game, I personally prefer to view them as kind of an extension of that relationship between how characters' Shadows manifest themselves and how the outside world tends to view said characters; they're less ostensibly a reflection on the characters themselves and more a riff of how they might be stereotypically viewed from an ignorant outsider's perspective, or at least one with only a superficial knowledge of what they have going for them. Naturally your mileage will vary in terms of how much their specific semantics of the titles appeal to you and not even I would argue that they're all home runs, but I was at least never under the impression that they're supposed to be deep pieces of commentary on the characters themselves. They're unfounded disses and especially given how much textual space they have to work with, you can only go into so much depth, especially when spatial real estate for text is at a real premium in English.

PS: Atlus just threw up a 720p version of the PQ intro~

I'm going to have to disagree. Agis is awesome but personally I never thought the relationship as romantic. More like two friends that will be together for the rest of their lives.

speaking of romance, with Elizabeths' new quest to bring Minato back and after the antics they had on their dates, I wonder if she is continuing this quest due to her love for him.

Dantis

PM'd Aeana about the Ultimax character thing. She basically says that if there's a disagreement, call it to a vote and state the outcome in the OP for new members. I wonder if maybe the solution is what Inorigo said: not mark it for Ultimax but not explicitly link it to Persona 4.

Thoughts?

I'M SORRY I'VE FAILED IN MY DUTIES AS A TRANSLATOR TO CONVEY WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THOSE TITLES TO YOU, DANTIS! FORGIVE ME I DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE YOU HATE MY WORK!

;_______;

Real talk, like I mentioned before, they have a lot of charm in Japanese. Obviously my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people on 2chan or somewhere who'd agree with you, but personally they've elicited a lot of chuckles out of me and, again, a lot of it has to do with Japanese wordplay that just doesn't play well at all if you go super literal. They're clever in ways that you can only really be clever about that stuff in Japanese to a degree. Given the TV world setting of the first game, I personally prefer to view them as kind of an extension of that relationship between how characters' Shadows manifest themselves and how the outside world tends to view said characters; they're less ostensibly a reflection on the characters themselves and more a riff of how they might be stereotypically viewed from an ignorant outsider's perspective, or at least one with only a superficial knowledge of what they have going for them. Naturally your mileage will vary in terms of how much their specific semantics of the titles appeal to you and not even I would argue that they're all home runs, but I was at least never under the impression that they're supposed to be deep pieces of commentary on the characters themselves. They're unfounded disses and especially given how much textual space they have to work with, you can only go into so much depth, especially when spatial real estate for text is at a real premium in English.

PS: Atlus just threw up a 720p version of the PQ intro~
Well, I don't know about that, but with the English ones, it seemed like something that was meant to be funny and just... wasn't? All I kept thinking about them was 'why are these there at all?'. If they're not funny, clever or relevant, why even bother including them?

Maybe it is just something that's lost in translation, which I'd never considered. It makes a lot more sense than them just being there because they're there.

PM'd Aeana about the Ultimax character thing. She basically says that if there's a disagreement, call it to a vote and state the outcome in the OP for new members. I wonder if maybe the solution is what Inorigo said: not mark it for Ultimax but not explicitly link it to Persona 4.

Thoughts?

I think as long as you don't mention
his Persona's name, or hint towards his role in P4
we should easily be able to talk about him as a character in Ultimax. What made all this spoiler stuff worse is all the reaction posts going " OMG Spoiler, guess P4 is being spoiled now" etc, etc.

Setsu00

I think as long as you don't mention
his Persona's name, or hint towards his role in P4
we should easily be able to talk about him as a character in Ultimax. What made all this spoiler stuff worse is all the reaction posts going " OMG Spoiler, guess P4 is being spoiled now" etc, etc.

Well, I'd actually consider the fact that
Adachi has a Persona
a huge hint since it implies that there's more to
him
than it seems.

Adachi has a Persona
him
than it seems.

Sure, but a huge hint for what?
Hinting that he will be a party member? Knowing that he has a persona doesn't spoil the story of Persona 4.

You knew
Naoto was female
before you started playing, possibly? Are we going to stop all discussion and pictures of stuff like that to avoid possible spoilers for new players?
I know the Adachi situation is a bit more extreme, but if you start picking and choosing it get's a bit complicated.

Assuming that the majority of new players who would get spoiled are playing Golden,
Adachi
having an s.link also eases up on whole
murderer spoiler

Meia

Adachi has a Persona
him
than it seems.

This is the problem in a nutshell. There's no dancing around this, honestly, and it would cause more of a headache than referring to a character like Naoto in a certain way.

I'm still standing by "If *blank*'s character trailer comes out, all bets are off." I hate spoilers, and I hate spoiling things for people. I also know how many new peeps come here who are playing P4 for the first time. We've had a remake of the game come out, as well as one sequel to it already. This is the game's SECOND sequel, where they're going to be flat out spoiling a major plot point of the original(also needs to be added that they purposely avoided doling this in the game's first sequel). We've also had an anime come out that covered all of the events of the game, and a remake of this anime is coming out before the second sequel hits any shores at home. How long exactly are we going to keep it going? :p

I still think the best way is to put a warning in the title of the thread. That way new-people are aware from the get go if they might get spoiled, or if they are allowed to post spoilers.

tumblr_n6n24cflmY1t46pjso1_1280.png

If we make this a general spoiler thread, we're opening ourselves up to problems.

At this point I've lost all interest in what this thread becomes.

As long as it is made perfectly clear what type of thread it is to everyone so events like a few days ago can be prevented.

If
Adachi's
character trailer does indeed come out Thursday, how will that be handled? I know the name is being marked as spoiler so I'm just wondering.

Lemstar

Dantis

To deviate from the topic at hand for a second, it looks like Atlus is having a Persona signing session at E3, and from the corner of the poster that Destructoid posted, it looks like it's with someone from Arena.

Any idea who it could be? Just going to go ahead and say that if, by some small miracle, it turned out to be Soejima, I would flip my shit.

EDIT: Wait, they had Doi there last year? Oh man. If it's Soejima. Oh man.

To deviate from the topic at hand for a second, it looks like Atlus is having a Persona signing session at E3, and from the corner of the poster that Destructoid posted, it looks like it's with someone from Arena.

Any idea who it could be? Just going to go ahead and say that if, by some small miracle, it turned out to be Soejima, I would flip my shit.

No idea, it could be Atsushi Kitajoh or some key Arcsys staff.

I hope they do a P4D t-shirt, would love another to go with my P4A e3 one.

Meia

That doesn't really change my statement.

That will probably be an issue regardless.

it's an issue that would become larger with persona 5 looming the horizon. We probably should make the next OT title just a warning about spoilers at that point(past games ok to spoil, P5 = NO) or something.

SPOILER thread status would probably mean the week persona 5 is out, you'd have people marathoning it and coming in and just blowing the thread up. I can understand the concern.

Dantis

SPOILER thread status would probably mean the week persona 5 is out, you'd have people marathoning it and coming in and just blowing the thread up. I can understand the concern.

Exactly.

No idea, it could be Atsushi Kitajoh or some key Arcsys staff.

I hope they do a P4D t-shirt, would love another to go with my P4A e3 one.

Kitajoh would be cool.

Meguro would be cooler.

Soejima would be coolest.

Daimaou

it's an issue that would become larger with persona 5 looming the horizon. We probably should make the next OT title just a warning about spoilers at that point(past games ok to spoil, P5 = NO) or something.

There will likely be a dedicated spoiler thread for P5 on gaming side, same as there is for any anticipated story driven game.

Regardless, like I said, that doesn't change anything. If you don't want spoilers, then don't read a clearly labeled spoiler thread.

Not to that extreme, but if someone doesn't want to be spoiled I would avoid this thread and the irc completely, it won't happen intentionally but they will still happen.

Clearly labeling the thread as a No Spoiler topic or as a No P5 Spoilers etc is the best way to go.

The rest is down to the incomprehension of the users

FluxWaveZ

Essentially, if this thread is tagged with a spoiler warning, there will be Persona Q, Persona 4 Dancing, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5 spoilers posted without reservation as those games are released in Japan. I imagine that would reduce the participation rate in this thread for those who have no desire to spoil themselves on those games before they get to play it.

Daimaou

Brilliant solution, we should all leave once the new game comes out.

Superb!

Not everyone cares about spoilers the same amount.

Edit: To clarify, I'm with Dave in that I don't really care which way we go with it in terms of being open/tagged spoilers. I just think we should clearly label the thread, then stick to that, with no picking and choosing.

Setsu00

EDIT: Wait, they had Doi there last year? Oh man. If it's Soejima. Oh man.

I'd kill for an autograph from Soejima.

Essentially, if this thread is tagged with a spoiler warning, there will be Persona Q, Persona 4 Dancing, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Persona 5 spoilers posted without reservation as those games are released in Japan. I imagine that would reduce the participation rate in this thread for those who have no desire to spoil themselves on those games before they get to play it.
I mentioned this a few pages back, yes. Idk about you guys but I like hanging out around here without the fear of a spoiler ruining things for me. For us, people that have already beaten the games that are out now, it might be a little annoying having to spoil tag everything, but there are so many Persona titles coming in the next few months... Wouldn't you rather make a spoiler thread, and have this one be a hangout/non-spoiler one?

irHt51E.png

Name: Persona GAF RPG
Engine: Rpgmaker XP/VX
Consoles: PC and Ngage
Release date: TBC

Apologies in advance for the long post

The following images are an example of what a potential PGAF RPG would look like using the RPGMAKER engine.

The portrait pictures used below would be replaced with artwork from all of us in the final game. Backgrounds, items, etc can be implemented extremely quickly as there are already preexisting BG tiles available for almost everything.

Music could be original pieces, or remixes of persona music made by fans.

A friendly reminder that the following screenshots could be done by any one of you within 20-30 minutes using Rpgmaker. The engine really is that easy to use.

PGAF RPG CONCEPT IMAGES

Dantis As The Velvet Room Assistant

dUVZqJX.png

Street Background Area

p98UMeW.png

Ridely Informing MC About The Dark Hour

uicJv69.png

School Area

Each NPC character can be programmed with social link properties, potential sides quests and more. Ideally, each student would represent one of us.

7oSr7So.png

Sophia Shouting At MC

Nc0jxKO.png

MC Social LInk With NPC

Mc6sHMq.png

Potential Shadow Battles During The Darkhour

sample_gamen20090529b.jpg

BattleScene.png

Cutscene images could be original artwork from all of us and look like the following

http://static.zerochan.net/Persona.4%3A.The.Ultimate.In.Mayonaka.Arena.full.1221007.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/3/33880/2274153-p4a_screens_storymode_02.jpg

If you guys are still up for it, I encourage all of you to purchase the rpgmaker engine using the following link. Its $1 until tomorrow, then the price will shoot back up to $30+

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly?rpgmaker_weekly&utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Humble%20Weekly%20Bundle%20RPG%20Maker

Enjoy

This is awesome :)

Those FFIV:CC sprites are amazing!

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
Disagree.
Personally, even on her S Link, I didn't think that Aigis' feelings were romantic.

Let's be honest, all of the titles are supremely lame. None are remotely clever or descriptive of the characters to any extent.

I prefer the Yukari pairing myself. It's not a knock against Aigis(best P3 "girl") by any means, it's just that summing them up as "being in love" kind of cheapens their relationship imo. What they have is beyond love I think, like they were destined to meet each other or something :)

I also really dig Elizabeth's relationship with Makoto, seems to be similar to Aigis's what with "The Meaning of Life 101" and all. So I thought Elizabeth's story arc in Arena was awesome.

I still need to watch the P4 anime to see what the cabbage thing is all about. I bet it's as disappointingly simple as him having a scene where he buys some lol.

Also that supposed final character slot has me super intrigued. All I'm going to say is that I hope it's who I think it is, regardless of whatever asspull Atlus has to do to get said character in the game.

Oh.. i stand alone then =(
Yeah, i know Yukari loved MC but i never sensed a good connection between them unlike with Aigis and MC.

I'll have to completely disagree with the motion the Aigis's love isn't romantic...i can't even begin to understand that argument, especially with the Answer, Aigis's P4A arcade quotes and story mode. No disrespect to you ofc

EDIT: BTW won't be able to repond for a few hours, just on lunch break at work =(

irHt51E.png

This is awesome :)

Those FFIV:CC sprites are amazing!

Thanks man. We want you on the team of artists Amarda. Would you like to join?

Would love to do some original portraits, but is difficult without not knowing how people want to be, or maybe using avatars, but there are avatars that dont lend much to be rpg characters lol

Ha, yeah, i think the samething about the avatars.

Once all the teams are set up, we can arrange for everyone to describe their ingame character. If anyone wants to do so now, go for it.
This is amazing. I should participate in this Persona art week.

You still staying out of the rpg project Dantis?

I think this shouldn't be a thread open to spoilers. Of course, this is a hard situation since he is a character in a fighting game, but that alone doesn't necessary implies anything else. Spoilers are
his Persona and his role in the murders
, but that shouldn't be mentioned without spoiler tags. Then again, if someone wants to ask about some of his moves in P4AU, I guess we should have to talk about that with spoiler tags?

Like Flux said, there will be spoilers for the other games if we get rid of the spoiler tags, and I don't want to get away from PGAF but at the same time I don't want to be spoiled :/

Now, that being said, there are new scans on Twitter! His versus portrait looks... weird lol

Concerning Aigis and the protagonist in P3,
I'm pretty sure her feelings were romantic, or as close to romantic as she could muster, because I don't think close friends get sexually frustrated.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I think this shouldn't be a thread open to spoilers. Of course, this is a hard situation since he is a character in a fighting game, but that alone doesn't necessary implies anything else. Spoilers are
his Persona and his role in the murders
, but that shouldn't be mentioned without spoiler tags. Then again, if someone wants to ask about some of his moves in P4AU, I guess we should have to talk about that with spoiler tags?

Like Flux said, there will be spoilers for the other games if we get rid of the spoiler tags, and I don't want to get away from PGAF but at the same time I don't want to be spoiled :/

Now, that being said, there are new scans on Twitter! His versus portrait looks... weird lol

AHHHH. YOU'RE THE ONE MAKING MY PHONE GO TWEET CRAZY! :p

Thanks for that btw, looks like your retweet is the thing that set that particular ball rolling. Still rolling btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom