• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
Thats how its always been in the japanese releases.
And to be honest the greek story that the name is based off of is also spelled aegis.

Never understood the reason for changing it, same with Aeris/Aerith.

I remember reading an interview with the localization team where they mentioned that they did it because they wanted a spelling of "Aegis" that matched the Japanese pronunciation of that word, which is why they went with "Aigis" since it IS a proper spelling of the word in some other dialect or something.

Meet Aegis.
JK0HvkR.jpg
Personally I preferred Aigis to Aegis, because it makes it seem more of a name than just another toaster's ID.

I remember reading an interview with the localization team where they mentioned that they did it because they wanted a spelling of "Aegis" that matched the Japanese pronunciation of that word, which is why they went with "Aigis" since it IS a proper spelling of the word in some other dialect or something.
Maybe it's just him, but my Mythology professor always pronounced Aegis as Aigis. As pointed out above she's still going to be Aigis in English anyway.

FluxWaveZ

People who are new to the series will start pronouncing it A-gis instead of I-gis.
Though are they keeping the standard pronunciation in the translation or not?

Why do you think they'd have changed her name from Aigis to Aegis? This is just the opening; they're obviously not doing that. NichM even just said her name's still Aigis.

I agree. Consistency is important, but that's not what I meant. I meant, why is it important if it's Aigis or Aegis? Like, what if she was translated as Aegis in all games, would it matter so much?

Oh, I see. Yeah, it wouldn't have done a difference for me, but there was apparently proper reasoning behind it.

Was it ever explained?

I understanding translating Japanese names for localisation reasons. But changing a Greek name to a name that doesn't exist baffles me. Especially with all the Greek mythos that is present in P3

All this
Adachi
talk reminds me of a major plot point in P4 that I never understood. Maybe someone here does.

Major P4 spoilers:

Ok, so we all know Adachi was the murderer, but who was the person in the fog after a person was saved?

Adachi couldn't have been fog guy because he knew the kidnapped person was found safe, while the fog guy has no clue, and expresses anger that the kidnapped person is not appearing dead.

Proof after rescuing Naoto:
Day of rescue: http://i.imgur.com/WhYFfgy.jpg
Next time the fog comes: http://i.imgur.com/0rwwXgP.png

Also, it would be weird for Adachi to express anger that no one is appearing dead, since Namatame "rescuing" people and the Investigation Team saving them is a game to Adachi. If someone were to appear dead after Namatame threw them inside a TV, he would have stopped.

Proof Adachi thought throwing Mitsuo in the TV would stop his game, but was relieved when Namatame didn't stop:
http://i.imgur.com/oX83cls.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jytue6E.jpg

So it makes no sense for it to be Adachi, couldn't be Namatame, and Izanami had no part in the murder subplot, since she's just trying to fulfill humanity's wishes.

Who is it?

All this
Adachi
talk reminds me of a major plot point in P4 that I never understood. Maybe someone here does.

Major P4 spoilers:

Ok, so we all know Adachi was the murderer, but who was the person in the fog after a person was saved?

Adachi couldn't have been fog guy because he knew the kidnapped person was found safe, while the fog guy has no clue, and expresses anger that the kidnapped person is not appearing dead.

Proof after rescuing Naoto:
Day of rescue: http://i.imgur.com/WhYFfgy.jpg
Next time the fog comes: http://i.imgur.com/0rwwXgP.png

Also, it would be weird for Adachi to express anger that no one is appearing dead, since Namatame "rescuing" people and the Investigation Team saving them is a game to Adachi. If someone were to appear dead after Namatame threw them inside a TV, he would have stopped.

Proof Adachi thought throwing Mitsuo in the TV would stop his game, but was relieved when Namatame didn't stop:
http://i.imgur.com/oX83cls.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jytue6E.jpg

So it makes no sense for it to be Adachi, couldn't be Namatame, and Izanami had no part in the murder subplot, since she's just trying to fulfill humanity's wishes.

Who is it?
Persona 4 has a lot of inconsistencies like that.
It probably means nothing.

PK Gaming

Nah man. I like this part:

But that's about it. I didn't actively dislike the arcade intro as I did the console one, but it was just bland and barely had any animation whatsover. It was a collection of ugly, sliding stills, and that was awful. The music was fine, though.

They've stepped their game up this time, though. And for that, I'm grateful.

Yeah man, that P4A opening was awful, especially the music. I love the art and effects of the new one though. Can't wait for the full version.

Well you guys certainly have a point, the visuals could have definitely been better. But on the other hand... I dunno, there was a distinct style to it? The wrestling style introductions set my heart on fire.

It was explained on this page. Right at the top.

Ha, I completely missed that.

Funny though, as aigis is a greek word, It's just not a name. So I guess it was all for pronunciation reasons and they just chucked the meaning of the name away.

edit, Language is confusing. Looking into it Αιγίς can be pronounced as both Aegis and Aigis. Though when translated to Roman letters Aegis is the correct spelling.

I always liked Aigis's name because the myth to the name is relevant in game.
Aegis was a animal skin or shield of Zeus or Athena, and her desire in game is to be a "shield" and protect the protagonist.
I'm also happy to say Persona 3 helped me out in my mythology class lol.

RedGraveXIII

Neo Member
I agree. Consistency is important, but that's not what I meant. I meant, why is it important if it's Aigis or Aegis? Like, what if she was translated as Aegis in all games, would it matter so much?

Was it ever explained?

I understanding translating Japanese names for localisation reasons. But changing a Greek name to a name that doesn't exist baffles me. Especially with all the Greek mythos that is present in P3

Wait!! they REALLY have renamed her to Aegis???

wtf-meme.jpg

7ef0f586857f6de13b5844354273007a90188bd00d7aab7c33d00ef79423b73c.jpg

Just testing ya =)

http://youtu.be/TxAsl-34r3o?t=2m56s Took me a while to remember where I saw the explanation heh

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Aw man, I didn't get to intervene with my translator's explanation that was going to be the exact same thing anyway.

Crisis averted. :(

But yeah, lots of fun quagmires like that. I personally enjoy doing that sort of research work, even if it means my translation output isn't the speediest thing in the world, but it does get nerve-wracking sometimes when you're sailing into uncharted territory and have to start coming up with canonized English terminology and whatnot, for lack of a better term. I don't have it happen a lot with trailers that I fansub, especially for Atlus games because usually the heavy lifting has already been done for me and I just have to consult Japanese wikis to make sure I'm lining up the right things, but it does happen a good amount in the work I do as a freelancer and each case is always a unique minefield in its own ways. But I like creative writing in general, so coming up with decent solutions that readers will enjoy is mostly fun.

Could do with less people trying to tell me how to do my job when they know a little Japanese, too, but what are you gonna do~

CorvoSol

Meet Aegis.

Personally I preferred Aigis to Aegis, because it makes it seem more of a name than just another toaster's ID.

Aegis makes more sense to me, since you know, that's how the word is spelled and all. If I could've changed the spelling of her name in P3, I would've.

From what little I've heard, I think he sounds great as Sho.
Seeing Vic and Michelle reprising their roles after so many years makes me indescribably happy :)

WAIT WH- HUHH?? HE WAS ROWEN?

Yep, didn't even know until I saw the credits.
Also I remember reading somewhere that Vic said that he'd always be down for voicing Junpei.

CorvoSol

I really don't understand why people care so much about naming schemes. Aegis or Aigis is fine to me.

There are people to this day who are upset about Aerith no longer being spelled with an "s". At this point I'd assume that Aigis was the victorious spelling, but never underestimate JRPG fans' abilities to quibble over tiny things.

Setsu00

There are people to this day who are upset about Aerith no longer being spelled with an "s". At this point I'd assume that Aigis was the victorious spelling, but never underestimate JRPG fans' abilities to quibble over tiny things.

Which is even more irritating since FF7's localization is garbage and the change in spelling actually gives her name some meaning that fits with FF's naming conventions.

abrack08

Dat vocal range!
Yeah, in a panel he had with Troy Baker he mentioned that Junpei was his favorite role/videogame role~

That's good to hear. I love his voice (I've only heard him in Full Metal Alchemist and Persona 3, I'm sure he's in a decent amount of stuff). For some reason I felt like Junpei was the P3 character most likely to get a new voice actor (obviously after Fuuka already got one and not counting Ken since he's all grow'd up), glad to hear he's back. I don't want to hear anyone else proclaim themselves Da Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom