• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

That was my point, but that sparked the "debate".

I'm agreeing with you.

Overall, it sucks, because if you haven't played P4 by now, you'll be spoiled.

But on the other hand, it's not like P4G isn't blatantly telling you the whole way. "Here's all these social links, except here's this one guy who wasn't a social link in the first game and now he is, gee I wonder if he's important!?"

abrack08

I'm agreeing with you.

But on the other hand, it's not like P4G isn't blatantly telling you the whole way. "Here's all these social links, except here's this one guy who wasn't a social link in the first game and now he is, gee I wonder if he's important!?"

Wouldn't that only affect people who had already played vanilla P4? Your average person playing P4G for the first time (or just playing P4) wouldn't know whether or not
Adachi
has a social link in the version they aren't playing.

Personally, I think it's fine to mention the fact that he's in Ultimax. It does seem overboard to spoiler tag the name of a fighter in a fighting game. I still think we should spoiler tag things
hinting that he's the killer/a villain
. There was at least one person in the gaming side thread about his addition that said
"I'm playing through P4 right now, Adachi seems cool, I guess he becomes a party member?"
Hell, he might make it to the end of the game thinking
Adachi is a late game addition, or maybe he's a secret/optional party member he missed like Vincent or Yuffie in FF7.
I don't think his role is as obvious to discern as you might think, even knowing
he has a Persona and can fight

I'm agreeing with you.

Heh, that's exactly what I thought starting P4G.

The flip side to getting spoiled about
Adachi
was that I completely ignored
Namatame and Izanami, so they completely took me by surprise.

Dantis

Sigh, I really wish I had one of those prints...

Anyway, here's something (still unfinished) that I drew while listening to the PQ soundtrack. Enjoy!

Great picture! Let's wait and see the Destructoid results. Then we can commence with the mega tears.

DNAbro

I'm agreeing with you.

I didn't know going in and the social link didn't exactly tip me off on it. I was just a little confused and didn't really think about it. I even accidentally looked up the fact he had a persona and didn't connect everything until i had to choose.

This song is great, but the mixing could be better. Can barely hear anything Lotus Juice says in the P3 version of the song. What makes it stranger is that Yumi Kawamura is clear as day!

In the P4 version he's a little bit easier to hear but then the trumpets tend to drown out Shihoko Hirata in parts.

Here's the P4 version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNoqBPlOvZg

Love the songs but they could be better in the technical aspect of it.

Style

Banned
This song is great, but the mixing could be better. Can barely hear anything Lotus Juice says in the P3 version of the song. What makes it stranger is that Yumi Kawamura is clear as day!

In the P4 version he's a little bit easier to hear but then the trumpets tend to drown out Shihoko Hirata in parts.

Here's the P4 version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNoqBPlOvZg

Love the songs but they could be better in the technical aspect of it.

Ha, I was supposed to link both the P3 and P4 version, but I pasted the same video twice by accident.

Dantis

HOLY...... Please tell me other people have heard the "dark hour extend" version of the battle theme?

I was going to say the P4 version was my favourite but....... just listen to it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMkhFK1Fzc

If P5 soundtrack ends up being rock based, which is my guess after P3's hip hop and P4's pop, then this is a good sign.

Pretty sure the Dark Hour Extend version is Toshiki Konishi.

Either way, it's nothing to do with Meguro.

Light the Fire Up in the Night is friggin' fantastic. Best Persona song since Spirited Girl, as far as I'm concerned.

Gaaaaah, why don't we even have an English release date for PQ yet? T^T

Pretty sure the Dark Hour Extend version is Toshiki Konishi.

Either way, it's nothing to do with Meguro.

According to the video its Kitajo, but for all i know that could be completely wrong.

I know Meguro will be the lead on P5's music but he wont be the sole person working on it. Even if he just took influence from a song like this I would have confidence in the rest of the soundtrack, thats if P5 is even going to be rock based, we have literally no idea yet.

Plus this song kinda shows that the vocalists that the Persona Team like to use work well in a rock arrangement. But again, for all we know it could be an entirely new vocalist for P5.

Light the Fire Up in the Night is so dope. I hadn't been paying close attention to PQ (I don't like reading or seeing a lot of media for a game I'm anticipating), but dang the music is great. Based Lotus Juice. PQ hype levels rising...

Yukiko and Yosuke subs, coming right up!

iWiHLRs4QKtjo.png
pepsi pls

dat snrk tho

Dantis

According to the video its Kitajo, but for all i know that could be completely wrong.

I know Meguro will be the lead on P5's music but he wont be the sole person working on it. Even if he just took influence from a song like this I would have confidence in the rest of the soundtrack, thats if P5 is even going to be rock based, we have literally no idea yet.

Plus this song kinda shows that the vocalists that the Persona Team like to use work well in a rock arrangement. But again, for all we know it could be an entirely new vocalist for P5.

Not necessarily. He did pretty much the entirety of Persona 3, 4 and Catherine's OSTs.

EDIT: Also, it says Kitajoh composed it. I think Konishi did the Dark Hour arrangement. I'm almost certain it's him.

CorvoSol

To be fair, female Orpheus has always been stupid and kinda lazy and should have never existed. FeMC should have gotten Eurydice.

Don't get me wrong, I think Eurydice would've been better for her, too, but I didn't have any problems with the Female Orpheus design.

The description for them makes them sound really overpowered. Kaguya is registered in your compendium as a level 16 sub-persona, and she has a passive skill called Moon's Protection. Every turn for the first 3 turns in a battle, null the first attack made.
Meanwhile Orpheus Telos is level 26, and possesses a passive Harp of Renewal, which heals your entire party as well as removes negative status effects and binds every turn for 3 turns.

Do all Personas have these "passive skills?"

Is there a list where I can see the main Persona's passive skills?

Not necessarily. He did pretty much the entirety of Persona 3, 4 and Catherine's OSTs.

EDIT: Also, it says Kitajoh composed it. I think Konishi did the Dark Hour arrangement. I'm almost certain it's him.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I get that he's the lead composer and the music gets credited to him, but in the same way that Hanz Zimmer did the soundtrack for Inception, it wasn't just him locked in a room writing it and then he dictated whats happening to musicians and then, music!

He is obviously the lead creator, but the musicians themselves will have input, the game director will have input and chances are he will talk to other composers for their input as well.

FluxWaveZ

Light Up The Fire is the best Persona battle music. Come at me

Haven't listened to any of the music—and I won't until the game's out here—but, just from the little I heard, I felt that the opening theme from Ultimax might be my favorite in the series, next to or behind Pursuing My True Self.

Haven't listened to any of the music—and I won't until the game's out here—but, just from the little I heard, I felt that the opening theme from Ultimax might be my favorite in the series, next to or behind Pursuing My True Self.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's my favourite song in the series full stop, but as far generic battle themes go, it destroys "Mass Destruction" and "Reach Out To The Truth".

Actually, it's kind of the best things about those songs mashed into two and made even better.

This sounds like the theme tune for a Waluigi game

Daimaou

I wasn't going to post anymore about the spoiler issue, but this post riled me up too much for me to hold it in.
It's public information. There's literally no way you can count it as a spoiler at this point.

This is the worst rationale you can have towards this. These statements are simultaneously meaningless and shortsighted.

What does public information mean? That you can go and find the information if you look it up? That's true of basically any spoiler in this day and age.

Saying, "But it's everywhere!" is so incredibly myopic that it causes me physical pain that I have to point it out. Yes, news sites are reporting on it. Yes, people will see these headlines. But what about a week from now, when this ceases to be news? A month? A year? Sure, a lot of people have seen those headlines, but how many of them actually had the context to know what it actually meant? How many actually care enough about Persona at this given moment to actually remember it, or will should they actually come to try to get into the series at a later date? Furthermore, because someone shits in the street, should you proceed to walk into the middle of the street and drop your own steamy deuce?

Persona is still a niche series. A lot less niche than it used to be, but still pretty fucking niche, and it will probably get even less niche after P5 comes out. Should the people who get into Persona with P5, then come back to play P4, be hosed because of that one week were every news site posted about how (P4)
Adachi was playable,
just because people are too lazy to spoiler tag the name in certain contexts?

Fuck no they shouldn't, at least not if we aim to be a spoiler free thread.

The point of spoiler tags is to be accommodating and welcoming to new fans of the series. If we pick and choose which spoilers we tag, we stop doing so. Suddenly we're only accommodating to "some" newcomers. Is that something we want?

Now, I'm sure the next question everyone is going to ask is, "Well smart guy, what context is appropriate to tag?"

(P4)
Any where Adachi is revealed to be somehow notable in terms of the larger plot. His entire charade hinges on him being unremarkable, so anyone with any context for the game will be able to figure out that he's the culprit through some pretty basic deductive reasoning. Will everyone figure it out from the same clues? No. But this is the safest approach.

EXAMPLES:
1. "Adachi appears in P4U" - I would not consider this a spoiler. This gives no context.
2. "Adachi is playable in P4U" - This hedges it. It doesn't actually state that he's somehow remarkable, but could lead to that train of thought if they have enough context for the series. I would probably spoiler this to be safe.
3."Adachi has a persona" - I would absolutely spoiler this, especially if the persona is referred to by name.

I apologize if I was a bit harsh, but that's the way I think we need to do things if we're going to stay a spoiler free thread devoted to all the games. And with that, I seriously am done with this discussion.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, I don't think it's my favourite song in the series full stop, but as far generic battle themes go, it destroys "Mass Destruction" and "Reach Out To The Truth".

Actually, it's kind of the best things about those songs mashed into two and made even better.

Oh, I wasn't trying to dispute anything. Guess my point was just that... uh, Persona's still got it in terms of music, heh.

Though destroying Reach Out To The Truth, huh. I'm looking forward to seeing hearing that for myself.

Dantis

Thanks. The channel I was watching only had the arranged rips.

So the P4 version has the woman who sings "Pursuing My True Self", while the P3 version has the woman who sings "Burn My Dread"?

Correct. Yumi Kawamura and Shihoko Hirata. Maze of Life is a duet with both.

CorvoSol

Buddha explain Ulala to me. Here are my questions:

1) What the fuck does "a ceramic girl" mean? That's what the game introduces her as.

2) When the game says "she sells lingerie" does this mean that Ulala is a lingerie model, or that she works at a lingerie shop? Is she the girl on a Victoria's secret poster, or the girl behind the register at Victoria's secret?

NichM

Banned
1) What the fuck does "a ceramic girl" mean? That's what the game introduces her as.

2) When the game says "she sells lingerie" does this mean that Ulala is a lingerie model, or that she works at a lingerie shop? Is she the girl on a Victoria's secret poster, or the girl behind the register at Victoria's secret?

hi i'm buddha

1) Ceramic is tough but brittle, which describes Ulala pretty well. She's a take-no-shit boxer with a bad temper, but she's also a touch neurotic and lovelorn. Recall how her major appearance in Innocent Sin was when you had to hold her back from beating the shit out of yet another guy who'd taken advantage of her. (I would probably not have preserved the phrase "ceramic girl," myself, but I'm pretty sure that's what it means.)

2) She's the girl behind the register, not a model.

Ceramic girl means to me someone who has doll like properties [as in a porcelain doll], or a beauty.

Basically saying she has perfect features.

At least that's the way we use the term where I live.

Would like to hear the answer for question 2 though. Completely forgot about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom