• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the coolest person ever.

7aJRqUw.jpg

If you really want to boggle your brain,
read up on Aegis: The First Mission. It apparently occurs in MAY of 1999. Before her activation date, pre-retcon or post-retcon. Like... uh... what?
I think I shall coin a phrase for that--worse than non-canon, stupid. Jeez. For a game that is built around an actual calendar with actual given days listed for every major event you wouldn't think they'd have such a hard time following it (repeatedly it seems).

Are there even enough full moons in 2010's school year...? December 2009 had a rare blue moon.

Sophia

ASW P4U2 website has a page up for Golden Arena Mode.

So there's at least four partner characters (not that anyone didn't expect that), as there are at least four types of skills: HP Recovery, Persona Break Recovery(?), SP Increase, and Burst Gauge recovery.

Also as is standard for ArcSys survival modes, you fight a boss character every five stages, and they can give a character special skill that's apparently not obtainable from normal fights.

I suspect this mode will be slightly different for the console version too. According to that page (I believe...), you can only play 20 stages in a single session or until time runs out. That's a limitation that wouldn't be needed in the console release.

There are a few lines in there I don't understand tho. Like this one: "全100種類以上の特殊スキルを手に入れて強敵をガンガンなぎ倒し、最下層を目指しましょう!"

Marche90

^^It made me laugh way more than what it should have.

Every time I accidentally left the protagonist idle too long and he put his hands in his pockets while running I had to stop him to get them out because who seriously runs like that.

You mean you don't run like that? For shame. For shame

FluxWaveZ

So there's at least four partner characters (not that anyone didn't expect that), as there are at least four types of skills: HP Recovery, Persona Break Recovery(?), SP Increase, and Burst Gauge recovery.

Also, I'm sure there will be more types of skills since those are specifically the types for the Commu skills. I wonder if the partners are all of the navigators or only a few of them. Really need a Shadow navigator so that I can have a go-to partner.

Higher res GAM images here.

FluxWaveZ

Confirmed that the navigators in P4U2's GAM are the same that are available in normal matches. Again, really need a Shadow to be my Social Link partner for this.

It'd be nice if they gave an actual time for PSC, seeing how they've been promoting it lately.

Edit: Also, seems that people are pretty into the new mode. It does look pretty good, so that's neat.

I was finding Naoto's story pretty interesting but then I remember
that her shadow is about the "dark" side of her that wishes she was a dude and her terrible S. Link.
Garbage.

Having the entire Investigation Team
be fully convinced that Mitsuo is the killer comes of as incredibly stupid of them. There are blatantly obvious problems with him being the killer the whole time (Morooka not being on TV, him just openly admitting he's the killer after hiding for the first 4 cases) yet everyone takes for granted he's the one. And then when Naoto appears on TV they're STILL in denial for some reason until Yukiko figures out what's going on.
It's incredibly contrived.

I should also mention that the contrast between Kanji's character growth in his S. Link and his actions in "story" scenes is really jarring. There was also a ridiculous moment where in Nanako's S. Link level 7
she gets really upset at Dojima and runs away, and when the scene ends her feelings are still unresolved.
Then in the next story sequence she
is super excited and happy about him getting a watermelon.
That was something lol.

PK Gaming

Confirmed that the navigators in P4U2's GAM are the same that are available in normal matches. Again, really need a Shadow to be my Social Link partner for this.

It'd be nice if they gave an actual time for PSC, seeing how they've been promoting it lately.

Edit: Also, seems that people are pretty into the new mode. It does look pretty good, so that's neat.

Do you think they'll add more navigators? I mean they'll have to, right? For the ideal GAM experience.

Though, it seems like a lot of work to record that many lines for the entire cast...

CorvoSol

Perealsona 1

Who told this game it could suddenly start to have a good plot line? Now I'm interested in it, the characters have suddenly acquired personalities and the music's become like, frickin' perfect. Plus, acquiring Narukami has basically made the battles way less of a hassle.

Seriously, suddenly Nanjo is getting hella real with Ideal!Maki, telling her to quit talking shit about suicide when her friends are trying to save her. Mark has become the legendary sire of Junpei and Yosuke now. Reiji, though much less stellar than the other two, has shown moments of rare charm.

There should be a warning on Persona boxes that whatever the first half is doesn't matter because the second half will be great.

Just counted out the full moons, and either they had to remove one of the full moon events or the promised day is shifted by nearly twenty days forward, and either way the events on New Years Eve/New Years Day couldn't have happened. That's an impressively sloppy retcon, the kind of garbage you'd expect from the Final Fantasy VII Compilation.

CorvoSol

Just counted out the full moons, and either they had to remove one of the full moon events or the promised day is shifted by nearly twenty days forward, and either way the events on New Years Eve/New Years Day couldn't have happened. That's an impressively sloppy retcon, the kind of garbage you'd expect from the Final Fantasy VII Compilation.

It must've been one hell of a conflict with Persona 2, I guess. Although the bit about developing 3 generations of Anti-Shadow Androids in under a year doesn't seem that bad when you consider that Generation 1 would've been a very rough prototype and at least Generation 2 would've been a failure to boot.

PK Gaming

It must've been one hell of a conflict with Persona 2, I guess. Although the bit about developing 3 generations of Anti-Shadow Androids in under a year doesn't seem that bad when you consider that Generation 1 would've been a very rough prototype and at least Generation 2 would've been a failure to boot.

It makes you wonder why they decided to "fix" the timeline to be more in line with Persona 2. Especially since they couldn't care less about incorporating non-trivial elements from the older Persona games into P4A.

They moved Aigis's activation date and some more of P3's background info to 2000, but Akihiko's story mentions P3 happening three years ago, lining up with 2009-2010. In addition, the first part of Mitsuru's story also has to have some kind of typo in it (potential P3 spoilers). It begins in late November 2010:
Public Security Man: According to the documents, (the Dark Hour) seems to have occurred every night at midnight for about ten years until spring 2011, as if forcing its way into normal time.

It makes no sense for a man in 2010 to be talking about the Dark Hour ending in 2011. It's also much more logical for Mitsuru to be forming the Shadow Operatives months after the end of P3 and graduating high school, as opposed to a few months before the game ends.

Dantis

I was finding Naoto's story pretty interesting but then I remember
that her shadow is about the "dark" side of her that wishes she was a dude and her terrible S. Link.
Garbage.

What. No it isn't. You're taking the shadow way too literally.

"全100種類以上の特殊スキルを手に入れて強敵をガンガンなぎ倒し、最下層を目指しましょう!"

This one is something like "More than 100 skills with which to defeat your foes! Aim to reach the bottom floor!"

CorvoSol

They moved Aigis's activation date and some more of P3's background info to 2000, but Akihiko's story mentions P3 happening three years ago, lining up with 2009-2010. In addition, the first part of Mitsuru's story also has to have some kind of typo in it (potential P3 spoilers). It begins in late November 2010:
Public Security Man: According to the documents, (the Dark Hour) seems to have occurred every night at midnight for about ten years until spring 2011, as if forcing its way into normal time.

It makes no sense for a man in 2010 to be talking about the Dark Hour ending in 2011. It's also much more logical for Mitsuru to be forming the Shadow Operatives months after the end of P3 and graduating high school, as opposed to a few months before the game ends.

Yeah that Mitsuru part has to be some kind of typo. Considering how many typos there are in P4A (quite a few!) this doesn't surprise me.

CorvoSol

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this Alaya cave. No fucking clue what I'm missing in this place but I swear floors just disappear in here.

P1

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo was that (MC)Frederick's Shadow, then? He did the whole "I'm you and you're me." thing. Of course he was also much more benign than most Shadow Selves. Then again, maybe it's because I nurtured him with goodness and because I'm meeting him in/near the Sea of Souls? He pointed out that there are various "yous" within yourself, which explains why Maki's "shadows" are divided into things like her ideal self, her inner child, her self-deceit and whatever this monster called Pandora will turn out to be. His "there's someone who wants to replace you" either refers to Maki's shadow self or to Nyarlothep.

Speaking of Nyarlothep, he's only appeared once so far, and that was to possess Kandori after we'd defeated him (which must've freaked out P4 players, seeing as how the Sagiri did exactly that to Adachi). It certainly lends credence to the expectation that Nyarlothep is the Malevolent Entity in Persona 4 Arena, what with the possessions and understanding of how Shadow Selves worked. Although it seems odd to me that Nyarlothep would need to go to all that trouble, but I confess I have no idea what the character is like yet.

Also worth commenting on at this juncture is that I found Erusaer Tsymmom's true meaning to be particularly touching within the context of the game, and surprisingly easy to put together. Like, I'm embarrassed that I didn't.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I just wrote up a post for Gematsu that translates that Nesica page, so hopefully that'll be up in the next few hours depending on when my editor gets up. Also, I'm pretty sure Persona Stalker Club should be starting in a half hour-ish; I saw in the preview video they put out that it said it's supposed to be today at 5:00 PM JST and... it's almost that!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this Alaya cave. No fucking clue what I'm missing in this place but I swear floors just disappear in here.

P1

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo was that (MC)Frederick's Shadow, then? He did the whole "I'm you and you're me." thing. Of course he was also much more benign than most Shadow Selves. Then again, maybe it's because I nurtured him with goodness and because I'm meeting him in/near the Sea of Souls? He pointed out that there are various "yous" within yourself, which explains why Maki's "shadows" are divided into things like her ideal self, her inner child, her self-deceit and whatever this monster called Pandora will turn out to be. His "there's someone who wants to replace you" either refers to Maki's shadow self or to Nyarlothep.

Speaking of Nyarlothep, he's only appeared once so far, and that was to possess Kandori after we'd defeated him (which must've freaked out P4 players, seeing as how the Sagiri did exactly that to Adachi). It certainly lends credence to the expectation that Nyarlothep is the Malevolent Entity in Persona 4 Arena, what with the possessions and understanding of how Shadow Selves worked. Although it seems odd to me that Nyarlothep would need to go to all that trouble, but I confess I have no idea what the character is like yet.

Also worth commenting on at this juncture is that I found Erusaer Tsymmom's true meaning to be particularly touching within the context of the game, and surprisingly easy to put together. Like, I'm embarrassed that I didn't.

So my man, would you say at this point the story is actually good?

Squire

Banned
I just wrote up a post for Gematsu that translates that Nesica page, so hopefully that'll be up in the next few hours depending on when my editor gets up. Also, I'm pretty sure Persona Stalker Club should be starting in a half hour-ish; I saw in the preview video they put out that it said it's supposed to be today at 5:00 PM JST and... it's almost that!

You hooked up with Sal, huh? Good guy.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Yeah, I have no god damn idea how he does what he does considering he's still a full-time student. I've increasingly been contributing as an editor, but I by and large just proofread his translation work since he's less fluent and generally stand around and look pretty for the site. It's not high paying work by any stretch, but he's good guy and his site gets decent exposure, so I'm content. Siliconera had the gall to try and offer me work as well after I caught them plagiarizing my stuff, but that decision to tell them to sod off was that much easier when Sal approached me soon afterwards. ;D

Yeah, I have no god damn idea how he does what he does considering he's still a full-time student. I've increasingly been contributing as an editor, but I by and large just proofread his translation work since he's less fluent and generally stand around and look pretty for the site. It's not high paying work by any stretch, but he's good guy and his site gets decent exposure, so I'm content. Siliconera had the gall to try and offer me work as well after I caught them plagiarizing my stuff, but that decision to tell them to sod off was that much easier when Sal approached me soon afterwards. ;D

I was gonna say you should be asking Siliconera to cut you a check too.

PK Gaming

P1

Wow, you catch on quick

That was indeed his Shadow, and his dialogue is influenced on your "actions" throughout the game. In fact, he gives you the items needed to fuse the ultimate Personas.

The Malevolent Entity and Nyarlathotep share far too many traits, though with the way the new Persona team has, it's always possible that it's a mere coincidence. Or perhaps the M.E is based on Nyarlathotep.

Do you plan on hitting Persona 2 by any chance? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game's narrative.

Squire

Banned

Part of me is shocked Siliconera would pull that, part of me isn't at all. They're quite taken with themselves over there.

Their leads anyway. I have an acquaintance who used to write up impressions for them who's actually a very nice guy.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I was gonna say you should be asking Siliconera to cut you a check too.

I'd love to, but they like to pretend that they live in a magical world where citing sources robs them of ad revenue, so I'm not holding my breath. When I've called them out on it, Ishaan just condescendingly said that the timing coincidentally worked out that they had their article up like 12 hours after mine and that "they were saving it for a good opportunity to post it for maximum impact." Then I was offered to submit content to them on the provision that I would be okay with having it be checked by their own supposed team of translators that I suspect doesn't exist because of the slip-ups they've made and routinely continue to make.

They're a fun bunch to deal with, suffice it to say.

Heh, I can hear the narrator voice from the Japanese version of Catherine.

Some notable PQ skills shown in the menu during the FOE segment:
Hate Eater: Raises the caster's defence for 3 turns, but he becomes more likely to be targeted by enemies.
Pulinpa
Skull Cracker: Light blunt damage, with a medium chance of causing magic seal (not sure if this is akin to Silence or Head Bind in the Etrian games)
Wind Strike (guessing the name): Deals a light amount of damage of slash/wind element.
Endure
Heal Cup: Restores HP of allies in a single row.
Refresh: Heals allies in a single row of status ailments.
Relax: Heals allies in a single row of binds. (BINDING! This game is taking more from EO than I thought!)
Lightning Wall: Raises entire party's resistance to lightning for 3 turns.
Crimson blade: Deals a light amount of damage of slash/fire element.
Null Sleep
???? Memento: Every turn for the next 3 turns, heal status effects from the caster's row.
Scare Arrow: Medium chance of causing Seal Speed (literal translation of the kanji) status effect.
Paralyze Circle: Every turn for the next 3 turns, medium chance of causing paralysis to all enemies (similar to the Arcanists from EO4).

Rin and Zen don't have a persona at all.

Strangely, despite the skill description saying "Curse" status effect, the animation looked like the Fear status effect in the persona games.

FluxWaveZ

new PSC is up.
no Ken tho.
Ki6WDCD.png

Awesome, though what isn't is that what I thought was the height for the character on the right was totally off; the blur managed to fool me. No Ken in the horizon, either, so that means that even Megumi Ogata retweeting the date might have been a coincidence.

No talk on who the mystery guest was?

Edit: Oh man, that gameplay video manages to still avoid revealing what Rise's theme is. I hope it's not just Time to Make History.

Edit 2: Oh wait, I actually wasn't off with the height of the character on the right: it was Rise while she was crouching. Sly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom