• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread, but I guess part of P4U2's story will take place on Port Island, seeing how Rise's hanging out with Fuuka and Yukari in Club Escapade. Maybe she's not in Inaba when everything goes down.

Sophia

Haven't seen this mentioned in the thread, but I guess part of P4U2's story will take place on Port Island, seeing how Rise's hanging out with Fuuka and Yukari in Club Escapade. Maybe she's not in Inaba when everything goes down.

I thought it was explicitly stated she wasn't in Inaba when stuff starts happening? I know ONE of the two news sites said it.

FluxWaveZ

I thought it was explicitly stated she wasn't in Inaba when stuff starts happening?

Was it? There's this part from the Shoryuken article:
Rise, gearing for a return from hiatus to the idol industry, has been hard at work with lessons. One evening, she notices strange changes to the town. The streets are now covered in a red fog, and people have been suddenly vanishing. Separated from her friends, what is the resolve to which Rise holds as she is confronted by danger…?
That does suggest she's at least aware of what's happening in Inaba when it starts, but it also leaves the possibility of her arriving in town after it has already started.

Either way, wonder if there'll be more of Port Island explored than Club Escapade.

Edit: The Gematsu translation makes it sound more like she's starting out in Inaba:
Rise’s story begins with her getting to work on making her comeback as an idol by attending lessons. When the red fog shows up Inaba one night, though, people start disappearing and Rise finds herself separated from her friends.

Rhapsody

Banned
Watching that gameplay vid makes me excited for P4U2 more and more.

Finally a zoner oriented character that interests me in this game.

This also means I will have to mirror Smed one day.

FluxWaveZ

Watching that gameplay vid makes me excited for P4U2 more and more.

Finally a zoner oriented character that interests me in this game.

She's certainly interesting. Her abilities seem to be rather intricate, like the music notes which she detonates by using an attack that makes sound, the analysis aspect and the shield with its own dedicated meter.

P3FES: The Answer
Empyrean 9th floor boss argh why does every boss in this part of the game have evade -weakness-. it turns the entire match about whether the RNG gods let you win or not.

I have to say, her artwork in arena looks alot nicer than her ultimax version. In ultimax, she looks like an awkward rat on crack.

Persona_4_Ultimax_Screengrab_2.jpg

Hey now, that's mean

Dantis

I'd think P5's character designs were done by now.

Soejima does a lot, lot, lot more than just design the characters.

He's the art director for Persona 5 and the lead illustrator for the franchise. He has a shit ton of work to do all the time.

Setsu00

Rise's Ultimax artwork was definitely done by Soejima. She looks pretty much the same in the art with Teddie and Elizabeth that was released for the first Arena game.

Guys, what are you picking it apart for, don't you understand it's a parody? Jeez.

Joking aside, it's not as deformed as some of the P4 character portraits in the original Arena, like Kanji.

Dantis

Guys, what are you picking it apart for, don't you understand it's a parody? Jeez.

Joking aside, it's not as deformed as some of the P4 character portraits in the original Arena, like Kanji.

Yup. Yosuke too.

It's all meant to add to the arcade style, I think. That, and it's probably to meld it in better with the sprites?

Weirdly, Naoto looks pretty much dead on, though that might be because she's not a very dynamic character, haha.

lol, the eyes and mouth freaked me out when i first saw them. To each their own though.

Arena's art is drawn in a different style to Persona 4. It's more deformed and dynamic. That's probably why it looks different. I'm pretty sure it's Soejima though.

Yeah, he probably just wanted to go in a completely new direction with Arena/Ultimax.

Yo Dantis and other fellow Englishman, will you guys be attending comic con London next month. Last year, Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, and Troy Baker were there for the entire day. Not to mention the art directors from Attack on titan.

Dantis

Arena just has a different art style imo reflecting the tone of the game. That's how I always saw it.

Yup. All the games have their own visual style. It's like how P3P has lots of black shadow illustrations.

lol, the eyes and mouth freaked me out when i first saw them. To each their own though.

Yeah, he probably just wanted to go in a completely new direction with Arena/Ultimax.

Yo Dantis and other fellow Englishman, will you guys be attending comic con London next month. Last year, Yuri Lowenthal, Tara Platt, and Troy Baker were there for the entire day. Not to mention the art directors from Attack on titan.

I have friends who are going, so I could, but it's not really my kind of thing. Seems very anime focused, which isn't for me.

Dantis

Yeah, I'm in the camp that can't see it. I'm comparing this:

q1IlMmS.png

...to her P4AU image, and they look practically the same except her mouth is open (wider).

That art is miles more polished, but I agree that the eyes look fine in both.

They're bigger in the Ultimax art though. It's just a generally more exaggerated expression. Which is fine, because Arena is a pretty over the top game.

FluxWaveZ

That art is miles more polished, but I agree that the eyes look fine in both.

They're bigger in the Ultimax art though. It's just a generally more exaggerated expression. Which is fine, because Arena is a pretty over the top game.

Well, one's a 3D model and the other is a drawing. There's also the age difference to take into account.

But yeah, the art being dynamic in Arena, as you mentioned, is certainly an intentional stylistic choice.

kewlmyc

Yeah, I'm in the camp that can't see it. I'm comparing this:

q1IlMmS.png

...to her P4AU image, and they look practically the same except her mouth is open (wider).

Clearly too anime.

I'm not really seeing the complaint, she seems on par with the rest of the Arena art, for better or worse.

Acid08

Banned
I think it might be the irises. One is a complete oval and the other is being pushed up against the edge of the eye. Whereas in the other art you posted that isn't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom